PDA

View Full Version : The Strangest Silver Hair Question Ever

BrightBlack
September 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
I've admired silver hair since I was a child and always hoped I'd get to start with the streaks at the temples first (family trend is salt-and-pepper, though)

I hope to have silver, my husband yearns for white. Problem is we're both terribly impatient!

Does anyone know how to speed the process (without surrounding yourself with stress and children, preferably)

I know it's most often a copper deficiency that causes it but try as I might, I have yet to find anywhere that gives information on cultivating such a deficiency. Most people are working toward the opposite direction.

I know it's an absurd question but if anyone knows anything we will both be deeply grateful. ^_^

Ludde
September 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
I have no good advice for you, sorry. Mine has speeded up immensely due to a sick child. Lack of sleep and lack of nutricious food and no lack of worry seems to do the trick on my hair.

little_cherry
September 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure one can speed up the production of silvers safely..I wouldn't recommend going deficient in copper as it may make you feel ill, and stress can equal lots of shedding.

I think all you can do is be patient, I'm afraid.

Dragon
September 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM
It might be a good idea to do some reasearch on the internet about copper deficiency first as you dont want to become unwell from it.

FrannyG
September 24th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I think that going silver is mostly hereditary. I wouldn't want to mess with the balance of minerals in my body, at the sake of my health, if I were you.

Time and patience will get you where you want to go eventually. Just enjoy the ride and don't wish your life away. :blossom:

florenonite
September 24th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Dye it? I think that's the safest way to get silver hair before it's "your time".

Elenna
September 24th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Growing in silver or white hair is not exactly trouble free and there is a big variation how it grows in. But we've all seen really beautiful silver and white hair.

BrightBlack
September 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
That's what I was afraid of.

How unfair, eh? So many people out there who can't stand their pretty, sparkly silver hair while the rare ones who want it are out of luck LOL

My manager at work has the most beautiful hair... sooooo jealous. Black with a little silver scattered around - she has thick strands so when the light shines on her they look like single strands of tinsel and the effect is just so beautiful. *sigh* She hates the silver but I would trade her hair in a heartbeat.

bumblebums
September 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I think the surest way to make your hair go white is to become president of the US.

Anje
September 24th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I think the surest way to make your hair go white is to become president of the US.
I was going to suggest going to graduate school, but you're right. Look at Obama, Clinton, ... All had dark hair before they ran for president!

Still, graduate school's a lot more practical and you can both do it at the same time.

TrudieCat
September 24th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Time and patience will get you where you want to go eventually. Just enjoy the ride and don't wish your life away. :blossom:

This is fabulous advice! It's sometimes hard to keep this in mind. :D

But yeah, becoming US president does seem to do the trick....

Anje
September 24th, 2010, 07:18 AM
OK, maybe it's not good to show you this... A 7x overdose of chloroquine phosphate gave a teenager a stripe of white hair recently. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52317)

Seriously, don't try it. The stuff is quite toxic if you overdose (vomiting, convulsions, then sudden cardiac arrest), and it builds up in the liver and can cause irreversible retinal damage long-term. Besides, this might lead to safe methods to lighten the hair growing out of your head in a few years!

Fairlight63
September 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I just looked at your picture & your hair is beautiful just the way that it is & so are you!
Please don't do anything to your hair that will ruin it. Your hair looks really healthy now. Be happy with the way that you are.
Don't wish your life away, enjoy your youth. I am 65 & life goes by fast enough without wishing it away. You will be gray soon enough, speaking from experience here.I wish that I had my dark brown hair back that I had at your age.

luluj
September 24th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I understand your love of silver hair! I am a member of this website http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/ You may find it very informative!

teela1978
September 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I was going to suggest going to graduate school, but you're right. Look at Obama, Clinton, ... All had dark hair before they ran for president!

Still, graduate school's a lot more practical and you can both do it at the same time.
Grad school did it for me and many of my peers. Its probably easier to get into grad school than to be elected president... admissions are getting tougher these days though!

BrightBlack
September 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
LOL No need to worry about the chemical and deficiency stuff. I won't be going to unhealthy extremes - just going about daily life exposes you to far too much bad stuff as it is.

I LOVE the Going Gray site! It's nice to know some people smile instead of cry as nature asserts itself. ^_^ I've never met anyone else as excited to find out what shade you'll get LOL

SurprisingWoman
September 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I talked to my doctor during my annual exam and she told me it was hereditary. It sounds like there may be different imbalances that cause graying but heredity is the most common and healthiest.

Enjoy the journey.

<3

frizzinator
September 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
When my hair is down the white hairs are not visible. My hair has to be up in order to see them.

kwaniesiam
September 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
There is a way to dye hair silver/grey or white but is very damaging and a difficult process to do yourself. Most hairdressers would probably balk at the thought of someone young coming in to get grey hair, it's always the opposite :lol:

princessp
September 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Enroll in graduate school. :)

ETA:

Lol! Ooops guilty again of posting before reading the responses. I guess you beat me to it!

MonaMayfair
September 25th, 2010, 05:45 AM
A good way to get silver hair is to develop thyroid disease. But not a way I recommend!

One of the symptoms is to get grey or silver hair (even in young children)
It was one of my symptoms (though when I was put on thyroxine, my roots went (mostly back to their normal colour)

Seriously though, I do think silver hair is lovely!