PDA

View Full Version : Questions about oiling

soonerpgh
September 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
I'm a newby with 3a/3b, m, iii type hair. It's between my bra strap and waist. I've never done oiling and I was wondering exactly what that means/involves.

Are there certain types of oil that are best for different hair types? Also, where do you buy it and what's the usual routine involved? Do you put a lot of oil in and wait a couple of hours and then wash it out? Do you still use conditioner?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just learning. :p Thank you!

unicornologist
September 23rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm wondering this too...

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
Oil is used to help mimic your body's natural hair lubricant--sebum. Sebum is the "grease" that is produced by sebaceous glands at the base of hair follicles, and are there to lubricate and protect hair and skin. You can aid this by using a Boar Bristle Brush to brush and distribute some of the sebum down the length of your hair, this will also help make those greasies that might get on your scalp less noticeable by evening out the oil and separating the hair strands more.

The main thing to keep in mind with oiling is that it provides a protective coat for the hairs. For example, putting a few drops of jojoba oil (the oil most similar to sebum) on your hands and smoothing it down the ends of your hair will help coat and protect them when you comb the ends. The ends will have more slip and wont snag as easily.

I personally never apply oil to my scalp because I already produce a lot there on my own. (Well, unless I do the rare scalp massage with the oil before I wash my hair.)

Oil does not provide moisture for your hair, but if applied on damp hair it can help seal in moisture. It makes my hair feel nice and soft--the ends flop over. I've noticed on my own hair that if I apply it to my ends when they're feeling dry, it seems to make them feel crunchy--they're bristly and don't flop, and there's no improvement. It may be locking out moisture instead. I usually mist my hair some beforehand or apply it after it's somewhat damp after a wash. I still use conditioner, because it puts moisture and oils in my hair. I use Aubrey Organics Honesysuckle Rose--a relatively thick, rich conditioner (I love it).

Some people use lots of oil (or mixtures that include oil) as a leave-in treatment and rinse/wash it out a few hours later--maybe a just a weekly-monthly thing. Some use a few drops daily or every few days just to tame and protect their hair for combing, braiding, making an updo or just leaving it down before they go out. It really depends on what you're aiming for.

Coconut oil is good because it's an oil that penetrates the hair shaft and reduces protein loss, helping to keep the hair strong, healthy and protected. If you like the smell of coconuts, get the virgin cold-pressed kind... smells great. :)

I also use the jojoba oil I mentioned, which is odorless. Your can add some essential oils like lavender, rosemary, tea tree or anything to make it smell nice. :flower:

Coconut and Jojoba are good as a starting point really. Some people don't use these oils because it doesn't work for them, so its really a matter of trial and error--find out what works best for you. There are tons of different kinds of oils to choose from.

jane53
September 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM
trial and ERROR. I found that using oil on my hair was a total mess. NOT a fan!

FrannyG
September 24th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I use a few drops of jojoba oil after COing, and I add another couple of drops and put it on my hair from the ears down each night after that.

I use a deep coconut oiling from time to time before I CO.

This has been a lot of trial and error for me to get it down to a simple routine.

Every person's hair responds differently to every different oil, so all I can really suggest is to experiment a little.

soonerpgh
September 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Where do you buy the oil? I've looked around at the regular stores in my area and can't find anything but your basic cooking oils. :p

In2wishin
September 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Where do you buy the oil? I've looked around at the regular stores in my area and can't find anything but your basic cooking oils. :p

Welcome to LHC :waving:

You may want to try your pantry first. Many here like olive oil or some of the other specialty cooking oils. In regular grocery stores you may find coconut oil with the popcorn (make sure it is 100% pure) otherwise a health food store is liikely to have it either in the cooking oils section or the beauty/personal care section.

Siava
September 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hi there and welcome! :D I've got 3a hair as well. A boar bristle brush (you'll see this elsewhere on the board as BBB) can distribute oil wonderfully on straight and wavy hair, but I don't recommend it for curly. While some people may have tough as nail curls, many of us have fragile curls. A BBB can cause damage (at least it does with my hair). If you try it, just be careful. If you hear snapping or notice breakage then stop using it.

There are lots of oils to try. Jane said, "Trial and error." I couldn't agree more. Everyone's hair is so different and what works for me might not for you. It might be too heavy, light, or greasy. Have fun trying to figure out what works best for you. :) It can be fun, addictive, and frustrating all the same. You have been warned. :lol:

Other than shopping online or your local general and grocery stores, check out local beauty supply shops. There's a small shop in my town that sells carrot, olive, and shea butter oils for a buck a piece.

You can put a drop or two in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together to a light sheen, and then apply oil just on the ends or from the ears down without washing it out. On extra oiling days (before pre-washing) you can use more drops and wash it out after a couple of hours.

DAK-S81
September 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I buy my jojoba, coconut, and grape seed oil at a local natural health food store. My hair LOVES oil, so I oil heavily and regularly. When being lazy, I've been known to oil heavily before bead and leave it in all day at work (in a pencil bun.) My hair absorbs oil like a sponge, so even with tons of oil on it it still doesn't look greasy.

kitschy
September 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I've even wet my hair then drenched it in oil, followed by CO wash. The curlier your hair, the more oil you can use and probably need. But like the poster upthread said, I wouldn't recommend brushing your hair to distribute oils.

I never use a brush on my hair, and I only use a wide toothed comb to comb it when it is soaking wet.

Spike
September 24th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Nod to the ‘sperament suggestions—what works well for me may not work at all for you.
Example—coconut oil is bad news for my hair. Greasy gloppy ewwww to the max. But here’s my daily routine:
Wash hair, either CWC or CO. While wet, apply six-eight drops of Nightblooming’s mix to the length. Massage castor oil into scalp (yes, castor works and coconut doesn’t. Go figger.) Bun and let dry.
I’ve gained a half inch or so in thickness (over six months or so) with the castor oil. My dandruff has vanished. Now if I could only find the miracle pill that would give me knee-length hair as thick as my wrist OVERNIGHT, we’d be really, really good.

PrincessBob
September 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM
My hair really likes jojoba, and coconut oil, but my hair-type doesn't match yours. I feel that my advice may not be what you need.

soonerpgh
September 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I'm attempting to upload a pic.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff497/Biscuitsmom/Hair-1.jpg

Viechen
September 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I love coconut oil and I get mine either at Sobeys, GNC or the health food place downtown. I think it is the same that people use for cooking (non-refined, virgin coconut oil) and I use the same jar for my hair and the kitchen (different, clean spoons every time off course!). I just put a tiny drop in after I wash my hair and then oil occasionally before bed so that it has time to soak before the next morning... occasionally I wake up and notice that 'stringy look' because I accidentally put in too much but then I just put it up, go to work/class and wash it that night...

spidermom
September 24th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I get my organic, unrefined coconut oil in the "nutrition" section of the local department store. I generously oil the length of my hair (not the scalp) several hours to the day before I plan to wash it. I don't like putting it on damp, clean hair because it draws lint and dust to my hair, which makes it tangly and awful.

Henrietta
September 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm a newby with 3a/3b, m, iii type hair. It's between my bra strap and waist. I've never done oiling and I was wondering exactly what that means/involves.

Are there certain types of oil that are best for different hair types? -I have totally different hair type... But I use coconut oil. It seems to be universal. Also, where do you buy it and what's the usual routine involved? Do you put a lot of oil in and wait a couple of hours and then wash it out?- I buy it in the Internet because I have never seen in any shop in Poland. I put it on my hair 3-24 hours before washing, just on the length and then I wash it off with a conditioner. I found it easier to remove the coil with condish and I CWC anyway, so... I do not oil my scalp, unless I do deep treatment. Do you still use conditioner?- yes. I do CWC after oiling, so conditioning is included in this routine.

I hope it will help, though we have totally different hair types.

soonerpgh
September 24th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to have to figure out what all the abbreviations mean. :poot:

I can see the pic I uploaded, can everyone else see it too?

unicornologist
September 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
hmmm...looks like its time to do some trial and error...wish there was an easier way to figure this out, especially since I naturally tend towards error...*sigh*

HikerTrash
September 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I found jojoba oil at the farmers market and coconut oil at the health food store in the supplements area. Coconut oil wasn't what I expected. It came in a plastic jar and has a consistency like wax, except as soon as you touch it or if it's a warm day, it melts into oil.

HikerTrash
September 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Oh, if you error, just put your hair into a braid. I find if I overdo it I get a really nice, smooth braid--better than normal.

torrilin
September 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
One thing I've found that helps cut down on error... dig around for people on the board who have similar hair (or skin or whatever) to yours. Not just obvious type, but they've used or use similar products to you, and have a similar personal routine. Like there's several people around here who have very fine hair (like mine!), but only wash their hair at night. I'm a morning person who tends to get up *before* the sun, and I tend to start crashing hard around sunset. Clearly, copying their routine isn't gonna work for me. Doubly so since a lot of the night time sleep with wet head routines seem to involve no sleep braid, and if I go to bed with a wet head and no sleep braid, I'll wake up to proto-dreads.

Since my partner already adores bath oil for his psoriasis, I figured it couldn't hurt to buy a small bottle of jojoba oil to experiment with on my hair. If it sucked, it'd make a good bath oil. Sadly for him, jojoba is working out well on my hair. (don't feel too badly for him tho... we have tons of other bath oils)

MClass
October 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Spike I am interested in how the castor oil helped you gain thickness?
I need some!

Nod to the ‘sperament suggestions—what works well for me may not work at all for you.
Example—coconut oil is bad news for my hair. Greasy gloppy ewwww to the max. But here’s my daily routine:
Wash hair, either CWC or CO. While wet, apply six-eight drops of Nightblooming’s mix to the length. Massage castor oil into scalp (yes, castor works and coconut doesn’t. Go figger.) Bun and let dry.
I’ve gained a half inch or so in thickness (over six months or so) with the castor oil. My dandruff has vanished. Now if I could only find the miracle pill that would give me knee-length hair as thick as my wrist OVERNIGHT, we’d be really, really good.

weatherwax
October 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Ditto! My hair has thinned on top in the last year; I can see there's a lot of new growth (whew), but I'd try just about anything to help it along. I was afraid to use the castor oil because it looks sticky. What's your routine? Does it make you shed?

Dolly
October 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I use coconut oil....I don't put any on it post-wash, because it gets stringy and piecey VERY easily. I do, however, do a deep overnight oiling 1-2 times per week. The result is the same whether I oil wet, damp, or dry.....my hair is softer, stronger, and generally in better condition. HOWEVER, if my hair is even the slightest bit damp when I oil, it will NOT come out the next day, unless I clarify (which sort of defeats the purpose of oiling). If I oil dry, it comes out with a CO wash or a CWC with a shampoo bar as the "W"......using the conditioner first seems to emulsify the oil and makes it come out better.

KristiLe
October 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I use organic, virgin, pure coconut oil that I bought from a health food store. Make sure it says all of those things. I totally coat my hair in the evening and sleep with it in 2 french braids then shampoo and condition the next day. Hope this helps! :D

Balenciaga
October 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I use organic, virgin, pure coconut oil that I bought from a health food store. Make sure it says all of those things. I totally coat my hair in the evening and sleep with it in 2 french braids then shampoo and condition the next day. Hope this helps! :D

My hair can't bear extra-virgin coconut oil, but loves the cheap non-organic stuff in a tub from the asian shop.

My hair has no taste :p

sibiryachka
October 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Are there certain types of oil that are best for different hair types? Also, where do you buy it and what's the usual routine involved? Do you put a lot of oil in and wait a couple of hours and then wash it out? Do you still use conditioner?

I'm afraid it's true, experimentation is the only sure way to find out what will work on your specific head. However, you may find this tutorial:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56486

and this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971&highlight=straight+chain

informative enough that you're not just flailing around in the dark. Hopefully at least you'll find some ideas about where to begin. And do pay attention to the hairtype info of anyone offering you advice; the more similar to your hairtype, the better the chance that their suggestions will apply to you.

My main use for oil is as a pre-wash treatment on the ends; I make up my own mix of coconut oil, shea butter and just a leeetle bit of castor oil (also useful on dry heels and elbows). And yes, it took months of trial and never-oiling-my-scalp-again error to arrive at that blend and that routine.:p