PDA

View Full Version : What is you're routine after washing

daaisychains
September 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
So you're just out the shower/bath and you're hair is nice and wet, what do you do?

Ie, comb it, oil then ends, leave it down to try, bun it/braid it and leave it to dry, towel it etc etc.

Sorry i'm just Mrs. Nosey :D Merci in advance.

Brianna
September 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Squeeze out excess water, pat it down with a towel, detangle with a wide-toothed comb. Then I usually oil it lightly, fluff it up a bit and leave it alone for a couple of hours until it dries. :)

Maddy25
September 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
after washing I brush with my wooden comb and once its dry I add a little bit of oil on the length.

daaisychains
September 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Previously, i used to let it sit and dry 'all by itself' untouched. At the moment, i've got it in a turban towel wrap and i'm contemplating putting a little bit of coconut oil on the ends. Usually i leave my coconut oil to the day before a wash because it greases things up a bit. But i've found out through reading here that it is infact an easily absorbable oil so a little bit shouldn't hurt, guess i'll know the results in the morning!

Malibu Barbie
September 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
I spray mine with leave in conditioner, I use a pick on it too comb it out, after It dries ( either air or blow dry ) I use silk infushion on it.

Aleria
September 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Squeeze out. Pat dry. Go to sleep.
Sometimes I french braid before step three, depends on how late I leave my shower.

pepperminttea
September 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Towel turban for 20-30 minutes. Detangle and comb, oil lightly. Leave it to airdry (normally with a towel round my shoulders).

Angeletti
September 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
I dry it all off with DH's t-shirt then spray a leave in conditioner on the ends and use a wide tooth come to detangle it all then let it air dry and I'm good to go.

Anje
September 23rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Towel turban for maybe 10 minutes, rotating the towel once to get a dry spot where it gets soaked at the back of my head. Then I tend to apply a bit of oil, comb through, and let it be loose to dry for as long as I can. Sometimes, that's not long (or my hair's bothering me), in which case I braid it loosely and go about my day.

ETA: Huh... Am I the only one who oils before detangling? I find the detangling process goes so much better if I've put a drop or two of oil in my hair first!

Carolyn
September 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I wrap it in a towel before I get out of the tub and leave it that way maybe 5 minutes. Next I detangle with my favorite Mebco detangling comb. Sometimes I'll add a leave in or a smidge of oil. Then I air dry and will often damp bun after an hour or so.

lastnite
September 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
I wrap it in a towel for 5 minutes then pull it back in a very loose pony tail till it's mostly dry, then comb it out.

Is everyone combing when their hair is still wet? I thought that was a nono?

swivelhop
September 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
When I am smart I just towel off the drips and goto bed. My hair looks like junk clean, but I don't want to be dirty. Not sure how to handle this.
I <try> to only comb my hair when wet but I usually wind up combing it dry.

Aleria
September 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
I wrap it in a towel for 5 minutes then pull it back in a very loose pony tail till it's mostly dry, then comb it out.

No, it's a nono to brush when wet. I started only combing when wet and full of conditioner (I CO), because then I keep my waves. If I comb once my hair is dry, it breaks up the wave pattern and causes frizzies.

LittleOrca
September 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Gently squeeze out extra water, wrap up in towel, let towel dry for about 30 minutes or until I don't feel like wearing a towel anymore, then taken hair out of towel and let air dry. RAREly I will blow dry it, on cool setting, so it does take a while to dry still, but with it starting to get cold it is not always fun to run around the house with wet hair.

EdG
September 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Air dry, then comb when nearly dry. :)
Ed

Messyhair
September 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I squeeze out excess water, wrap my hair in a towel while my head is upside down, then I do a no-no and rub my hair and scalp a few times to dry, then take the towel off and detangle with a wide-toothed wooden comb. Oh, and then I have to blot the length a lot with a towel to keep the drips away.

If it's a cool day, I can leave my hair down. It takes about 6 hours to dry that way, but most days I have to put it up (I work in a labcoat, so it's crazy hot) so some of it doesn't dry at all until I'm sleeping that night.

Anywhere
September 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I put conditioner on it while still soaking wet, let it get all over my hair. then let it air dry completely from its dripping wet phase. Sometimes if i'm not in the mood to sit around with crazy wet hair for 3+ hours I'll french braid it or bun it somehow while damp.

paperwhite
September 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Towel dry, part, detangle with my detangling comb, then oil the ends and a little further up the length with Nightblooming's Triple Moon oil. Then it get tossed up into a clip or loose bun. Then I forget about it :)

Alex Lou
September 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
If I have time, I prefer to brush it, brush it, and brush it some more. This smooths out the curl, similar to if I were to blow dry it I guess.

virgo75
September 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I leave my hair wrapped in an old t-shirt for about 20 minutes, rotating so I can use all the dry areas of the t-shirt to absorb the water. Then I let it air dry for a few more minutes.

After this I separate my hair into 3 or 4 parts(2 in the front & 1 or 2 in the back), detangle each part, add oil or conditioner then move on to the next part.

If it's night time I braid or twist each section so it won't tangle up(and will dry better than in 1 braid or bun) and go to bed.

If it's daytime and I'm wearing my hair curly then I'll add conditioner and let dry loose(very rare because it's harder for me to keep decent looking curls than to let my hair wave up).

Usually though I'll put my hair up into a bun, claw clip, or braided ponytail because I hate having wet hair on me.

liagibba
September 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Squeeze out the excess water, wrap in a towel for about 5-7 minutes, remove towel, comb through, apply a small amount of coconut oil to the ends, air dry for 20 mins, blow dry in sections on high heat w/ ionic dryer. I would skip the last step, but my hair does not look presentable when completely air dried :-/

luckyduck
September 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Lay towel across my shoulders, and bring together in front. Separate hair in half and bring forward to lay on your chest on the towel. Bring the back of the towel up and on top of head like a hood. Wrap ends of towel gently around lenght of hair and squeeze. Leave towel on as long as you want, no rubbing or twisting needed. Remove towel, finger comb, let dry completely. I just recently started bringing my hair forward to one side and making a long shirley temple curl with as it drys. It really has brought out the curls you can see on my avatar. Then apply small amount of coconut oil daily to next wash.

jeanniet
September 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I wrap it in a towel for a few minutes, then let it air dry for a few hours until it's about half dry. At that point, I comb with a really wide-toothed comb, put on a little of Nightblooming's panacea and a couple drops of either her Triple Moon Oil or a mix of jojoba/camellia/argan oil and let it dry the rest of the way.

pepperedmoth
September 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Blot dry. detangle with wide-toothed wooden comb, leave to hang and air dry while I get dressed, detangle once more, then pin up still damp.

Sundial
September 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
Towel turban for maybe 10 minutes, rotating the towel once to get a dry spot where it gets soaked at the back of my head. Then I tend to apply a bit of oil, comb through, and let it be loose to dry for as long as I can. Sometimes, that's not long (or my hair's bothering me), in which case I braid it loosely and go about my day.

ETA: Huh... Am I the only one who oils before detangling? I find the detangling process goes so much better if I've put a drop or two of oil in my hair first!

Anje I oil before detangling too so you are not the odd one out :)

That is what I thought too so I only comb when it is dry unless I need to style my bangs. That is when I need to run through my hair lightly with a comb to separate the fringe from the rest of the hair, then set the fringe in rollers.

My routine: I lightly squeeze the ends with a towel and let it air dry until about 50% dry before I apply oil to the lengths. Continue to air dry till 75% dry and at this point, (a) if I want to wear it down, I will apply more oil to the ends and let it dry completely before I gently comb it out, (b) if I plan to have it up, then I will oil the ends and just put it up after finger combing.

Dars
September 23rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
I turn my head upside down and do a few gentle shakes to get rid of excess water, flip my head back up and leave it to dry without any touching :)

Loreley
September 24th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Wrap it in a towel for a few minutes, comb it gently with a wide-tooth comb, oil it, comb it again and let it air dry.

Dragon
September 24th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Squeeze out excess water, mix leave in conditioner and oil together, comb it gently with a wide-tooth comb and let it air dry.

lajsa
September 24th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I prefer to wash in the evenings and let it dry during the night, so usually I wrap it in a towel until it's merely damp instead of soaking wet, then I put some oil in it and braid it if I've decided to sleep with braids that night. Otherwise I just leave it with the oil and then go to bed. :p

I usually don't comb it until the morning, I don't really like combing wet hair, it feels as though it rips a lot of hairs out even when I'm gentle. But I'm thinking about maybe combing in the shower when I've got conditioner in it...

Shany
September 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Squeeze out excess water, pat it down with a towel, detangle with a wide-toothed comb. Then I usually oil it lightly, fluff it up a bit and leave it alone for a couple of hours until it dries. :)

Same here, but I use shea butter instead of oil.

Othala
September 24th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Wrap my hair in a big towel for 20 minutes, take off towel, apply PK Elasticizer and then let hair air dry.

jojo
September 24th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I wash with a shampoo bar (carrot top) and then condition ( Tigi moisture maniac) rinse, put towel over my shoulders, add oil (morrocanoil) from the ears down and then wait for it to dry.

I do not comb until its dry and I don't even pat my hair with a towel.

Monsterkitti
September 24th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I gently squeeze out excess water, pop it in a towel for maybe 30mins or till it annoys me. Then oil the ends if Im near the coconut oil, detangle with fingers and pop up in a bun to dry.

Henrietta
September 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I make a towel turban, then I comb it, I blow dry my fringe, I let it air dry and when it's close to be dry I put it in a ponytail with few elastics or in a braid.

tinti
September 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I pat it with a towel (gonna change to an old t-shirt or a pillowcase from next wash), and then I just leave it alone (no products, no brush, no touching it). When it's 90&#37; dry I put a bit of coconut oil on it as a leave in.