PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair on Dancing With The Stars

sophiamarie
September 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Does anyone else watch Dancing With The Stars? I love, love, love, all the beautiful long hair on the show now. I think Cheryl Burke looks absolutely stunning with her long hair. Now I am not ignorant. I realize some of the people have extensions, color, process or whatever. But still, so much beautiful long hair on prime time television.

Amraann
September 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
I have noticed that they do have a lot of long hair going on.

I just assumed it is extensions.

My question is.... If Hollywood realizes that long hair is pretty and stars spend soooo much on extensions then why do so few of them grow their own hair out?

RitaPG
September 23rd, 2010, 12:33 PM
My question is.... If Hollywood realizes that long hair is pretty and stars spend soooo much on extensions then why do so few of them grow their own hair out?

Because people are either a) Lazy and/or B) Still believe the myth that long hair is too much work and time consuming.
Also, hairstyles (and lengths too, unfortunately) are more often seen as a trend, rather than a lifestyle, and hollywood is made of trends. I'll bet you that next spring the bob will be back, and by winter everyone will have waist length hair again. Stylists have to make a living somehow, and the best way to sell their work is to reinvent those trends, so that they can have people at their salons all year round.

Bene
September 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Because people are either a) Lazy and/or B) Still believe the myth that long hair is too much work and time consuming.
Also, hairstyles (and lengths too, unfortunately) are more often seen as a trend, rather than a lifestyle, and hollywood is made of trends. I'll bet you that next spring the bob will be back, and by winter everyone will have waist length hair again. Stylists have to make a living somehow, and the best way to sell their work is to reinvent those trends, so that they can have people at their salons all year round.

Is it really a lifestyle, though? I've never considered it that way. I kind of see it as a preference.

trillcat
September 23rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
I have noticed that they do have a lot of long hair going on.

I just assumed it is extensions.

They have to be changeable. Movie, TV roles mean you have to change your hair to the part you are going to play. That means a lot of damage taken to the hair, even with the best of the best money can buy. I would think it would be extremely hard to have natural hair given what they have to do.

RitaPG
September 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Is it really a lifestyle, though? I've never considered it that way. I kind of see it as a preference.

I don't know, it depends. Some people would never consider cutting their hair short again, so when it comes to identity, I think that qualifies as a lifestyle. But I could be wrong:shrug:
It's hard to explain as a non native english speaker, I'm sorry if that makes no sense.

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I don't think they have the time to wait until it grows out long. Trends die fast, so if celebs want to follow the one that says "long hair is in" they need to do it Right Now! - hence the extensions.

Carolyn
September 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm inclined to think that Cheryl's hair is her own because it's been getting continuously longer the last 2 seasons. If it was extensions it would have been a lot longer all of a sudden. I know they use a lot of extensions for the dances but if you watch the footage of the practice times I think we see the hair as it is. Last season Cheryl's hair was a little longer than the bob she sported prior to that and now it's maybe 3-4" longer than that.

sophiamarie
September 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
I have also wondered why so many use extensions instead of letting there own hair grow. Then if they wanted a shorter hair look, why not use wigs, or have the stylists on the show pin it up to look shorter. I hope this "trend" of long hair on the show continues and stays around for years to come. Maybe it will inspire others to grow there own hair long.