PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing / oil question

Amraann
September 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
I really need to color my roots.

A couple of days ago I put some coconut oil on my ends and length. It has mostly absorbed.

My question is should I wash my hair before coloring? Or can I get away with just coloring it?

It is mostly my roots but I will need to run the color through the length for some lift for the last 5-10 minutes of coloring.

Thanks!

DAK-S81
September 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
I never shampoo after oiling. Heck, I never shampoo at all. Usually a good CO wash is plenty to pull any excess oil off of my hair. Then again, I oil heavily regulary and my hair just sucks it all right up. The curse of the moisture starved curly haired folks, I suppose.

DAK-S81
September 23rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Also wanted to add that I have my hair lightened every 5-6 weeks and have never had any problems with having oiled my hair prior to a salon visit.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Wasn't there a thread making the rounds recently about it being beneficial to oil your hair before a coloring service - prevents it from drying out? (I don't color mine as a general rule so don't know much about this stuff. But I just can't keep my fingers still.)

Amraann
September 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Thank you both for your replies!

Spidermom, I did a search but could not find a thread about this.
I thought there was one too.
I probably just did not use the correct search keywords.

I think I am just going to go for it.
I can't see it doing any harm.
Worse case the color does not take as well on my ends. (Which is not a huge deal since I am just doing roots and giving a little lift with the same shade I always use)

Thanks!