PDA

View Full Version : All you need to know about wavy hair?

mali
September 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hey guys! I have just discovered that I have wavy hair.2C! I never really knew why my hair was always frizzy and separating when I was at school.I thought it was the chalk flying around(Silly me,I guess!:cool:).Until I joined this magnificent forum and realized my hair was actually wavy.Can you,wavy,curly heads, please share your routine and/or what natural things work for your head and/or how to combate frizz and/or make it less tangly etc.Tenk yu!:D

mali
September 23rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
*separating into curls

Pixna
September 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm a wavy, but I wear my hair up (in a bun) almost all the time (and it totally screws up my natural waves).

My routine: I wash my hair once a week using a VERY diluted solution of Bronner's Baby Soap and very warm water. I wash only the scalp and just let the suds run down the length to clean it. I rinse very, very well and follow with a VERY diluted solution of ACV (apple cider vinegar) and warm water. I leave that on while I finish my shower chores and then give it a light rinse. I VERY gently squeeze my hair to get out excess water (my hair is extremely stretch and delicate when it is wet, so I need to be extra careful to avoid breakage), twist it slightly to get it on top of my head, and then wrap it in a Turbie Twist for about 10 minutes. After that, I very gently comb it out with a seamless wide-tooth comb, give the ends (from the ears down) a VERY light oiling of jojoba oil, and comb it through (just from the ears down, so as to avoid oiling my scalp), and let it air dry.

I comb my hair a couple of times while it is drying, but if I didn't, I'd end up with lovely wurls. I don't worry about frizz -- I like my frizz. When I put my hair up the frizz softens the look. :D

mali
September 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Oh,thanks!

mali
September 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM
You have beautiful hair,btw!:o:o:o:o

Pixna
September 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks, Mali! :flower:

My latest pics aren't my most current (I'm due for a new length shot), and they don't really show my waves accurately because of bunning. The only way for me to get an accurate wave shot is right after my hair is air dried and before I put it up. Since I wash my hair at night, right before bedtime, and bun first thing in the morning, an accurate wave shot probably isn't going to happen.

2peasinapod
September 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Like you, I didn't know I had wavy hair until I joined LHC. I just thought it was straight (except for a "bump" around the shoulders that never went away), frizzy, and unmanegable.

I rinse with a diluted ACV solution (about once a week or so - I go by how my hair feels), moisturize often, and use coconut oil on the ends.

For flyaways, I detangle with a wooden comb after my hair is dry and occasionally smooth with a brush (I put a nylon stocking over the bristles so they don't grab my hair). I also sleep on a satin pillowcase with my hair braided.

Hope this helps!

ETA: I am also cone free.

Leneveu
September 24th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Subscribing to this thread.

I was "typed" as a 2c when I joined LHC, but I still comb out my waves as my hair dries, so that it looks like 1c-2a. (That was badly explained :oops: Hope you know what I mean!).

If I let my hair dry into its natural shape, it looks too scruffy and unkempt to leave the house!

IStand4u
September 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hey, I am a 2c/3a! I usually just wash my hair when it feels greasy (once to twice a week about), I only use shampoo bars unless I'm at someplace where I can't, which is rare now. I wash my scalp only, rinse completely and thoroughly! Then I slather it with cheap Suave Coconut conditioner and put my hair up in my shower cap for the rest of my shower! After, I rinse well, but with much MUCH cooler water (helps with frizz and adds shine I find). After that, lightly squeeze the water out, pin it up until I'm dried off, then I lightly squeeze with a towel and get DBF to brush it for me. (He is much more gentle than I am.)
Then, light oiling and I either put it up, braid it, or let it air dry and then I put it up. :)
I use a mix of sweet almond oil and caster oil in my hair for oiling it, and sometimes add avocado, but you will have to find what works best for you.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!

Aleria
September 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I wash three days a week due to heavy exercise those days, I can't wash any less or I'd smell.
I CO with Suave conditioner, then Garnier Triple Nutrition. While the Garnier is in my hair, I comb it out, then rinse completely. Squeeze excess water out, pat with a towel a couple of times and go to sleep. Sometimes I'll french braid to get more waves, but usually I'm too lazy. I wake up with still slightly wet hair, but usually by the time I leave in the morning it's dry.
I don't generally wear my hair up, except for Aikido, because it's a PITA since my hair is too thick and short to hold any buns decently (PS, my avatar is old. I really do need to take some new shots.)

Angel_Abby
September 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm a wavy! :)

I CO daily... (also daily exerciser) and throw in a CWC on Saturdays to help get out product or buildup. I wear my hair down a few times a week. From wet I scrunch in some gel and I get these cute little wavy curls.

Otherwise I wear it up in a bun or just clip it back in a low pony so the waves just settle on my back, but stay out of my face.

I don't use heat tools anymore, so I am either airdryed to wear it up, or fresh from the shower to gel my curls(or else they stretch out when it dries).

I use a horn comb after the shower(from the bottom up--or else it tangles). And thats it. Easy and still looks pretty for going out, or professional for going to work!:)

spidermom
September 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I think you're going to find just about as many routines as you find wavies.

I CWC 2 or 3 times a week using diluted shampoo. I use coconut oil the day (or several hours) before I plan to wash my hair. I leave a little of my regular conditioner in it, and I use CHI Silk Infusion (coney serum) about once per week. Then I either blow-dry it gently on warm and cool to have it straighter and smoother, or I leave it completely alone and let it dry naturally to bring out as much curl and wave as possible. Since I usually wear it braided or bunned, I lose the natural texture before it's time to wash it again.

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think you're going to find just about as many routines as you find wavies.

Hehe, so true!

My hair and scalp are on the terrible dry side. If I were washing my hair every time it got greasy I'd be NW/SO now. So my routine just focuses on heavy moisturizing, and desperate attempts to encourage my curls. It's nicely put (and maybe slightly outdated - I often tweak my routine) in this blog entry (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=62088).

mali
September 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Wow,thanks everyone for the answers! If anybody wants to tell me more please do.You all have beautiful hair,btw!:p:p

Spike
September 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Heh—I just posted a simplified version of my wavy hair routine. Here’s the whole thing in all its glory. As always, the caveat—what works well for me may not work at all for you. (Example—coconut oil is bad news for my hair. Greasy gloppy ewwww to the max. But see below for a surprise.)
Wash hair every morning, either CWC or CO. I lay whatever conditioner I’m currently using (my preference is for thick gloppy stuff, so Suave Naturals make frequent appearances in the shower) on the length while I wash the scalp. I use a Dairy Whip clone—foaming bath butter base with goats’ milk, jojoba oil, and fragrance. Rinse, and condition again. Clip conditioned hair up with a claw clip and finish ablutions.
Wrap my wet hair in a towel to dry while I apply daily cosmetics—deodorant, perfume, moisturizer, etc. Unwrap hair, and while damp, apply six-eight drops of Nightblooming’s mix to the length. Massage castor oil into scalp (yes, castor oil, the stuff thick enough to mound works and coconut doesn’t. Go figger.) Bun and let dry.
I’ve gained a half inch or so in thickness (over six months or so) with the castor oil. My dandruff has vanished. Now if I could only find the miracle pill that would give me knee-length hair as thick as my wrist OVERNIGHT, we’d be really, really good.