PDA

View Full Version : Natural-sun bleached highlights

Kathie
September 22nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
I’m currently growing out dye. It’s been over ten years since I started dying so I’m eagerly waiting to see some natural sun bleached highlights in my virgin hair. I find myself trying to walk in the sun to help things along. There are only a few inches of virgin growth at the moment so not much is going on. But what about those of you with virgin hair, at what length are your natural highlights, or more specifically a change in hair color caused by the sun, obvious (without holding your hair up to your roots)?

Kathie
September 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Oh-what! No one had natural highlights :( guess I have my all natural hair to look forward to.

swivelhop
September 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Meh, mine's visibly not black just past shoulder length, almost blonde by tailbone. Looks damaged like that, on me, IMHO.

Cinnamoon
September 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
I have some at the very front of my hair - about half an inch thick on each side. They go all the way down, and become more prominent in the summer.

Luckysock
September 22nd, 2010, 07:56 PM
mine have really come out after I gave up die 2 years ago and I love them! I have a fairly thick one in the back and quick a few blond streaks at my temples. Over all my colour has gotten more depth thanks to loosing the dye and getting some sun - couldn't be happier with it

shawty
September 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
My roommate has very long hair that gets noticeably lighter at the end. On myself, I'm not sure.

Kathie
September 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Luckysock I hope mine turn out how you’ve explained yours. I have a bit of time to go its only been 5 months since I last dyed my roots.

Shine on summer :sun:

Maddy25
September 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
As a child my blonde hair always got really light blonde on the top layer and dark blonde underneath from the sun, I hope it still does that! I'm growing out dye too! Can't wait till summer :eyebrows:

Bianca
September 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I find myself trying to walk in the sun to help things along.

I do this too, and I did get some pretty golden blonde highlights this summer :)

Maddy25
September 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I do this too, and I did get some pretty golden blonde highlights this summer :)

it must look so pretty in braids :) I always love the dimension.

Roseate
September 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
There are only a few inches of virgin growth at the moment so not much is going on. But what about those of you with virgin hair, at what length are your natural highlights, or more specifically a change in hair color caused by the sun, obvious (without holding your hair up to your roots)?

I currently have all virgin hair, and I have natural highlights that are more visible in the front than the back. They seem to start at around eyeball level or so; when I have short bangs there are never any highlights in the bangs.

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=73491) is a blog post of mine with pictures; the picture from the front has flash which flattens out the color somewhat, but I think you can tell the color is more golden in the front.

When I was growing out dye, the variation in natural color wasn't obvious until my roots were about... chin length I think? It's just so hard to see subtle variations in a few inches of hair, particularly when there's a big block of dyed ends there.

Bianca
September 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
it must look so pretty in braids :) I always love the dimension.

Yes, I do too. Mine is still to short for braids though, but my little sister has Tb lenght hair, and all shades of blonde in it, it looks sooo good when it's braided :p

spidermom
September 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
I can't tell anymore because the top of my head is getting whiter all the time.

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I have light brown hair and my hair gets a lot blonder in the sun. When I am at the beach I always keep my hair wet with ocean water- it really attracts the sun and my hair gets really blonde.

angelfell
October 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
When I used to go to the tanning bed, I noticed my hair lightened, and when I had blonde streaks, they became more prominent. But I don't go anymore :p and I don't think fake tanner will lighten the hair.. ehehehe.

LadyJennifer
October 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Interestingly enough, mine starts right at my part and gets really blonde. I try not to hate it (I like my hair darker, and don't think that blonde becomes me). As soon as I think about going in the sun streaks start turning blonde, especially right by my face in the front. The ends don't really turn blonde much for some reason.

Rocket22
October 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I don't have them yet, but I hope this next summer to get more natural highlights and less going to get them done.

Krentje
October 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Highlights in my hair start at the root for the front hairs :)

For the bulk of my hair, however, i only started to notice them from ear length on, so have some patience and you will enjoy it! Personally i never had longer hair, so i am very pleased by looking in the mirror since i am growing my hair out.

Alix
October 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
About at my ears can you really tell, my hair is about two shades lighter. And I have visible streaks in my fringe.

Whenever I grow out my fringe then cut it again everyone always asks if I dyed my hair darker because it cuts out the high lights.

sweetestday
October 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I always thought my natural highlights were from the sun, but my lightest streak is at the nape of my neck. I do wear my hair up a lot, but I can't imagine that would cause such a blond streak.
I have done chamomile or ACV rinses before going out to garden, but I'm not sure if it did much or not. I never took pics to compare.

swivelhop
October 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
sweetestday - I have that same highlight. I think its because the hair there is just 'too fine' to hold as much pigment as the rest.

I also found some yellow blonde hairs that must be mine while cleaning & vacing the car's rear dash today. That star called the sun is powerful.