PDA

View Full Version : Hair really dry after protein treatment

abritta3
September 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Last night I chem dyed over henna to get back to my natural color then followed up with protein treatment...using eggs, conditioner, jojoba oil and a bit of Joico Kpac conditioner.
After that I left in GVP Biolage conditioning balm in for 20mins
But after drying my hair still feels dry and brittle...should I do another moisture treatment?
Does any old conditioner do the trick? Usually the gvp biolage conditioning balm is my best friend but I did an extra long protein treamtent to make up for the chem damage

Advice please?

Kathie
September 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
If I was you I would give it a bit of time before another deep treatment. When I was dying my hair at first it would feel a lot dryer than normal and would take a week or so to settle. A little leave in moisture treatment may do it a bit of good though.

leslissocool
September 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
My hair felt really dry when I used permanent color with ammonia. I think you should put it up, and let it breathe...

When my hair was really chemically damaged, I used the TIGI dumb blond (natural protein with moisture both, you can use it as a regular conditioner) and it made a big difference. I know it's a bit expensive, but one small tube lasted me about 6 months since I used it about 2 times a week.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Definitely do the moisture treatment next time you need to wash your hair. I don't think it would hurt to do another one now, but you can wait a bit.

breezefaerie
September 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
You could have an excess of protein. It's always best to follow protein treatments with a moisturizing treatment.

jojo
September 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
This has happened to me too but don't worry its fixable an overnight moisture conditioner and wrap it in cling film, then CO wash with a protein free conditioner for a week or so. Works well for me.

Jessica Trapp
September 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
SMTs are wonderful! Very moisturizing.

(On a side note: protein makes my hair dry and brittle.)

ravenreed
September 22nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Even though my hair is chemically dyed, it HATES protein. Have you tried using coconut oil prior to dyeing? I find it makes a difference, so my hair is not so dry after.

Link to LHC article. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&highlight=prevent+peroxide+damage)

Anje
September 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Definitely do another moisture treatment. Dryness after protein is normal, which is why it's generally suggested to do moisture treatments immediately after, but if one's not enough, you might as well do more.

I second the SMT suggestion. It's one of my favorites, and when I discovered my hair didn't like protein, it was daily conditioning with SMT mix that got my hair back to normal in short order.

Kathie
September 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
I thought the thread might swing this way. I guess my first reaction was "you've done so much to your hair, it needs to rest" but it also needs to heal. Let us know what you chose to do and how it turns out :flower:

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
If your hair feels brittle and dry after a protein treatment give it another dose of moisture next time you wash it. In the mean time I'd use a leave in and put it up.