PDA

View Full Version : Sock bun - DAMAGING?

MimiKeki
September 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to ask all you who love to wear your hair in the sockbun -

Does wearing the actual netted doughnut that you can buy from the shops damaging?
I ask because I am not yet accomplished with buns, and I'm considering wearing my hair in a sockbun every day for work, though I can't help but to notice that the doughnut is rather rough?

Do any of you wear a sockbun alot of the time? Am I just being paranoid? :o

heidihug
September 22nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I use an actual soft sock as the base which I roll my hair around. The most damaging thing about a sock bun just might be having to tightly elastic it into a ponytail as the first step. Now, I hear some people are just able to gather their hair up manually, insert it into the middle of the sock and then roll it up without having to pony it first. Wouldn't work for me as it would just schloompf into a sad plop of doughnut hair at the base of my neck within seconds. If that elastic-less method works for you, then I don't think a sock bun would be damaging in the least.

Alternatively, I find the most secure, safest and easiest way to wear my hair day after day is to put it into a cinnabun. I know it's a go-to daily bun for lots of other LHC members, too. It takes about 2 minutes to put up and, when pinned properly, holds like cement all day. Plus, no damaging elastics to worry about.

wvgemini
September 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
I didn't even know you could buy a pre-made doughnut thingie, lol :p I too simply use a rolled up sock for my bunning. Speaking of ... I need to pick up some baby socks since I think I'm getting to that length :)

tinti
September 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
I just use a rolled up sock too, when I do the sock bun. It's very rare, though, because I don't like the way it looks on me, since I can't roll it up yet.

LittleOrca
September 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I wear the rolled up sock bun when I wear it, and I did use my own sock for it. I do wear it rarely though since, from my experience, it was a little damaging to my hair, but keeping it a rare style helps me. I can't speak for everyone though. :)

Anje
September 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I can't speak to the roughness of your donut (again, most folks just use actual socks, which are quite soft), but I know my hair's easily damaged by elastics. So I tend to avoid sock buns because the elastics would eventually cause some serious damage for me. Not to mention, sock buns would not get along with my car's headrests!

Angeletti
September 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
I tried doing the method where you start at the ends of your hair and roll the sock all the way to your head and for me I felt like I was damaging my hair because it was all rubbing together and got tangled, but that's just how I felt, not sure if it actually damaged my hair but it just seemed too rough on it.

missfortune9335
September 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
I know what doughnut thingy you're talking about, and yes it would be damaging. (for me anyway, my hair is fine and damages quite easily) I found it to be rough and some of hy hairs caught in it. Most people here just use a rolled up sock, which would be *alot* more gentle.

Macaroni
September 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
I use a sock bun and use these for the pony:

http://www.franceluxe.com/pc/9557A/PonytailHolders/index.html

I made my sock bun from a pair of long, brown, unused socks.

Fiordiligi
September 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
I sometimes do a fully-rolled sock bun with a couple of my toddler's outgrown socks rolled together. When I first tried it I thought it was rather damaging, but I persevered. So if you practise, you may find that as you get better at doing the style, it won't seem nearly so bad. Oh, and I can sometimes do it satisfactorily without an elastic now, although I don't find that solid enough to wear for a whole day.

PrincessBob
September 23rd, 2010, 03:01 AM
I find it no more damaging than any updo, but cannot fully roll my own hair, so, yeah.

Karala
September 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
If this http://storage.canalblog.com/99/66/434613/49189560.jpg
is the type of doughnut you're referring to, yes, I would be concerned that it would be damaging to hair, especially if worn everyday. (though I haven't tried it myself so I can't say it would for sure... but it does seem very rough). My advice would be to stick with one you'll make yourself out of a sock, and you should be safe with that :)

DAK-S81
September 23rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
I also use a regular rolled up sock -- though I did look to find one that had the softest material possible to the touch. I'm about to need to move up to a bigger one because the excess hair needs to be wrapped around the bun several times now. It's actually getting to be a pretty big bun these days.

Funny side story:

My mother commented the other day that I'm looking more and more like her mother -- which reminded me that my grandmother did have a *huge" bun back in the day. She took her hair down and washed it once a week, sat under the hood dryer, and then reset the bun with zillions of bobbies and loads of hairspray to keep it weatherproof until the next washing. I guess they did protective styling even way back when.

I didn't see her hair down until I was around 6 years old. I was used to seeing her with a giant bun the size of her head all of the time and it never occurred to me that she had the ability to look any other way. She walked out of the bathroom with gorgeous thick silvery blond hair to her hips and when I saw her I promptly started screaming, "Witch! Witch!" No one realized until that moment that I'd never seen my grandmother's hair before.

Looking back, I just hope that my hair looks that amazing when I'm in my 60s. :)