PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Only

marla
May 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
I know that sounds really radical and anti-LHC but my hair is very thin and sparse and I think conditioning just ways it down and makes it look even more stringy. With no conditioner I have to put up with more frizz, but it does look thicker. Am I crazy for trying shampoo only?

Kirin
May 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
No, your not nuts. there's a couple of us radicals out here :cool: who do the no conditioner route. I have very thin hair, and conditioner not only makes me loose tons of it in the shower, but makes it flat and stringy.

EdG
May 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
That's not unusual. I don't use conditioner because I don't like the feeling of conditioner in my hair. :)
Ed

joyinc
May 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
i dont think its anti-lhc at all :) i do this from time to time depending on what my hair has been feeling like.

Gothic Lolita
May 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
There's nothing wrong with using no conditioner. If you and your hair get along with it, do it. Of what use is long hair when you don't like the look of it?

Have you tried an ACV rinse? They condition but aren't as heavy as condtioner.

Riot Crrl
May 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
It's just individual. I can't do it... my hair is a black hole of conditioner. I think it prowls the streets at night, sucking all conditioner out of the neighborhood. But that sure doesn't mean it's not for everyone!

jojo
May 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I tried this last year and still do it form time to time.

It makes my hair look really shinny.

mellie
May 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I never use conditioner. My hair is super oily on its own, conditioner just weighs it down and makes it looks greasy.

marla
May 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Have you tried an ACV rinse? They condition but aren't as heavy as condtioner.

I have used ACV rinse, but it seems like it strips the hair more than conditions.

spidermom
May 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Shampoo only and I could scare small children. It would be every hair for itself in crazed flight around my head.

Leisa
May 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I agree with Kirin, Ed and Mellie:)
I use shampoo or herbs. I don't use conditioner, it makes my hair fall out, it coats it with residue, and makes it lank. If I'm using regular SLS or ALS shampoo I'll pre-oil before I shampoo or shampoo the scalp only. If I use a moisturizing shampoo like Giovanni tea tree shampoo my hair does not need much oil (maybe a tad on the ends) as it is a non drying shampoo.

marla
May 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
OK I guess shampoo only is not going to work for me. I tried it for one day. In the morning it looked great. After about 5 hours of going about my day, I looked in the mirror and it looked really fly-away and out of control. It still looked nice and thick but very unkempt. Perhaps shampoo only followed by some sort of calming gel after it drys is a better option.

Tangles
May 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
CO and even CWC makes my hair flyaway, too curly, and lifeless. I need the cleansing properties of shampoo to keep my hair looking full. I do use cone free conditioner on the ends and sometimes oil the ends though.

Calista
May 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars exclusively since September 2006. My hair loves this routine.

zule
May 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Without conditioner, I'd have a head full of knots. It'd be impossible to comb out. However, I put it on the ends heavily, and oh-so-lightly anywhere else. After trying so many and having to throw them away since they made my hair limp and oily, I've found a few I can use which don't do that. You can keep trying to find one or two such conditioners, but the experimentation is expensive.

Some years ago, I grew my hair out to hip length with shampoo only and while the ends were a little lifeless, it worked pretty well. I started using conditioner when I came here.

amaiaisabella
May 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I actually tried this a few times, and though my hair was much more difficult to detangle- it kept it grease-free and full of body for a lot longer than any other routine I tried!

I'm just afraid I'm breaking the hair by not using conditioner to "smooth" the way- am I paranoid or is this true?

ginalaurie
May 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I use diluted 'poo on my scalp and a cone-free condish on the length (about jaw down). I can't put condish on my scalp at all without it getting lank and greasy. When you say "use conditioner" do you mean all over or just on the length, marla? Can you use it on the ends?

marla
May 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Ihen you say "use conditioner" do you mean all over or just on the length, marla? Can you use it on the ends?

I've been doing CO on the scalp (the clarifying kind) followed by the moisturizing kind on the ends. While it really cuts down on the frizz I feel like I have lost a ton of volume. I supposed I could go back to regular shampoo followed by conditioner like most of the world does, but that led me to the damaged state that brought me to LHC in the first place. I am always trying new things and have not found the right formula yet. I've also done the vitamin thing, the thyroid thing, the diet thing, everything!! I suppose I'll try the shampoo bars next.

ginalaurie
May 24th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I understand about trying different things. Since finding LHC a couple of years ago, I've done CO, CWC, shampoo bars, morrocco method, WO, and more shampoos and conditioners than I can count. Everyone is different and you just have to find out for yourself what your hair likes. It's like cracking a code!

Good luck and good hair!

AnneAdeline
May 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I used to just use shampoo, but that was before LHC when I didn't pay much attention to my hair. I use conditioner because I love how it makes my hair feel. Also, my hair would be so tangley without it.

But maybe I'll try going Shampoo-only this summer (my plan is to do hair experiments when I'm out of school, so not many will witness mishaps).

30isthenewblack
June 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I've been using conditioner only on my hair for the last year or so but I've gone back to shampoo. Conditioner makes my hair limp & stringy. My curls are very defined but I have a problem with volume and shampoo brings out the volume in my hair. I think I might only shampoo half my head & condition the ends though where it needs the moisture most.