PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and hair

redfox78
September 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I used to have incredibly healthy hair (it was also kept shorter), but I never had split ends or breaks or anything. After 6 kids, I know that the pregnancies have done a number on my hair, and I'm guessing age has too :) Now I have lots of split ends, and I also have a lot of breakage, and I swear I've lost enough hair to be bald :)

So, with a new pregnancy, what can I do to help keep my hair healthier, and if possible, improve the health as well?

My current routine is CWC with Suave something or other with Almonds, and occasionally I do an application of coconut oil.

Any supplements, treatments, ideas, etc. would be welcome, but preferably the less time consuming the better :)

JamieLeigh
September 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins religiously!! And eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water. The healthier your body is, the healthier your hair will be.

I've had five kids and seven pregnancies, so I totally feel your pain on wishing for the healthier hair of the past, even if I wasn't very nice to it when I did have it. :p I was overwhelmed with the advice and new ideas when I got here almost 2 years ago...I'm not sure what others would swear by, but definitely including vitamins and drinking more water have helped my hair AND body health immensely, and also being more careful with my hair, especially when I put it up (I've stopped wearing the styles and updos that require ponytail bases or to twist the length so much, and opted instead for wrapping or braiding and clipping).

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! :flower:

redfox78
September 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks :) This is technically my 9th pregnancy, but will be my 7th baby so long as everything goes well :)

I haven't gotten into the doctor for my prenatals yet, but I'm hoping to get some better stuff from my chiropractor when he gets his order in this week.

For the most part, my diet is... decent :) I still drink a little more soda than I'd like, but it's way less than the average person. And I've wanted a ton of water lately, which is weird because I usually can't drink water at all when I'm pregnant.

For my hair, it's usually either in 1 or 2 braids, or up in a chopstick. Occasionally I'll do a claw or a ponytail, but rarely since those never stay put anyway. The chopstick is my best friend right now, since I can't find anything else that stays put at all :) And I can't stand it down, especially with all the kids running around :)