PDA

View Full Version : breaking widow's peak

sandrak
September 22nd, 2010, 03:21 AM
My daughter has a widow's peak that is broken off or something. Her hair in that spot is only about 1 1/2 in. long. I know she hasn't cut it. It has been like that for some time now. It's as if that part of her hair won't grow. She parts her hair to the side to hide the short hair. The rest of her hair is perfectly healthy. No dryness or breaking hair. What could be causing this? She doesn't blow dry or brush roughly.

Phexlyn
September 22nd, 2010, 03:41 AM
Maybe they hairs there just have a very short terminal length?

I have a widow's peak, and I have very short (< 2 inches) hair there as well, just not all of it but more the hairs that are closest to the face. It lies down with the longer hairs most of the time. Sometimes hair around the face is reluctant to grow long, like those shorter bits around the temples some of us have. Maybe try the EO/oil mix for hairgrowth?

Sundial
September 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Maybe they hairs there just have a very short terminal length?

I have a widow's peak, and I have very short (< 2 inches) hair there as well, just not all of it but more the hairs that are closest to the face. It lies down with the longer hairs most of the time. Sometimes hair around the face is reluctant to grow long, like those shorter bits around the temples some of us have. Maybe try the EO/oil mix for hairgrowth?

I agree. I have a widow's peak too and some of the hair strands are really short too (also around < 2 inches).

I don't think the strands broke off, it is likely their terminal length is short because I occasionally find really short fine strands that match those from the widow's peak.

One thing I have noticed is that the short strands give my bangs a bump in volume around the widow's peak area. It is as if the shorter strands are sticking straight up and acting like some sort of bump-it for the longer strands.

I have had this all my life, so I believe the shorter strands have always been around. Having said that, I personally find that side parting works the best since the shorter strands in the widow's peak make center parting awkward.

ETA:

Oh! But it suddenly occurred to me: does she have a habit of clipping up her bangs?

If she does it all the time, it is possible that the hair may have broken off. I have a friend who uses clips like this every day and she complains of broken strands in the area where she often places the clip.

http://www.google.com.sg/imglanding?q=hair%20clip%20image&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6PdsPkQFSI0/SrcY97vLMsI/AAAAAAAABMI/Nfz-_CZIM8g/s320/hairclip.gif&imgrefurl=http://other-things-amanzi.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html&h=300&w=300&sz=27&tbnid=7RV-jQ3WCuGVrM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhair%2Bclip%2Bimage&zoom=1&q=hair+clip+image&hl=en&usg=__nve6BUfKPSVz8HZ-p1nfRHm9h9w=&sa=X&ei=w9eZTO2aCI-ycZv_wdkH&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAA&start=0#tbnid=7RV-jQ3WCuGVrM&start=1

sandrak
September 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
Oh! But it suddenly occurred to me: does she have a habit of clipping up her bangs?

If she does it all the time, it is possible that the hair may have broken off. I have a friend who uses clips like this every day and she complains of broken strands in the area where she often places the clip.

http://www.google.com.sg/imglanding?q=hair%20clip%20image&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6PdsPkQFSI0/SrcY97vLMsI/AAAAAAAABMI/Nfz-_CZIM8g/s320/hairclip.gif&imgrefurl=http://other-things-amanzi.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html&h=300&w=300&sz=27&tbnid=7RV-jQ3WCuGVrM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhair%2Bclip%2Bimage&zoom=1&q=hair+clip+image&hl=en&usg=__nve6BUfKPSVz8HZ-p1nfRHm9h9w=&sa=X&ei=w9eZTO2aCI-ycZv_wdkH&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAA&start=0#tbnid=7RV-jQ3WCuGVrM&start=1

Nope. She never wears clips and she doesn't have bangs. It doesn't look like broken hair just hair that doesn't grow.

aenflex
September 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
I may be way off base here, but if it's really an issue for your daughter, have you thought it waxing it off? I mean if it sticks up and is unsightly?

-not that I am anti widows peak at all! i am simply pro-wax :)

sandrak
September 22nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
I may be way off base here, but if it's really an issue for your daughter, have you thought it waxing it off? I mean if it sticks up and is unsightly?

-not that I am anti widows peak at all! i am simply pro-wax :)

I don't think that waxing would ever work. The area is too big. It is at least 2inches in width and about 1 1/2 in. in length. At times it does stick up but she is pretty good at hiding it.

FrannyG
September 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
I have a widow's peak too, and indeed, that hair has a very short terminal length. It has for a very long time. I'm 100 % certain that it really is a short terminal length and not breakage. I've had over 40 years to observe it. :)

Hoydenish
September 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
I have the same problem. I think it's a combination of just being short (the hair, not me) and breakage. I am convinced my habit of tightly winding a towel into a turban or using a turbie twist was breaking the hairs in this area. I've been more gentle with it for the last year or so and now the hairs are growing out! :D

cm006j
September 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
I have something like that. There is a small patch on my temple where the hairs grow to the side and very short. I hate it so much in pictures that I finally started shaving off just that bit.

TinaDenali
September 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
I've had a widow's peak my whole life and the hairs there have always been short (about 2 inches long, more or less) and whispy. I think it's just how the hair grows there if you've got a widow's peak. It's actually quite cute, I think. I've always really liked mine. It looks nice when my hair is back in a pony tail and the little whispies frame my face.

brunette
September 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mine disappears and fills in on a whim :) Most of the year there are very few hairs there, then suddenly there are several which are an inch long. You have to look pretty close to even realise I have a widows peak lately. I just carry on regardless, it doesn't really matter and it isn't unsightly. I always part in the centre, and I am not rough either. I think it just has it's own growth pattern and phases. I often wonder if castor oil would help but I always forget to use it!

Gabriel
September 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have a widow's peak too. Mine grows normally. I did find that I have to be careful washing my face and applying lotion so that I don't accidentally get any on that area.

Is it possible she's using and face lotions, toners or washes that could be a little too drying for her hair and scalp and getting it on her widow's peak?

Face masks and treatments can also accidentally get on that area and without realizing it, it's really easy to just break the hair there.

JessTheMess
September 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I have this same problem:rolleyes:. I used to shave it off when I was younger. Looking back, it made my hairline look worse. I think that it is definitely shorter terminal length hairs. Sometimes I trim them, but they never grow any longer :(