PDA

View Full Version : In every life a little hair must fall...

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM
When I first arrived here at the LHC some 19 months ago, my hair was a mess. It suffered at the hands of a woman who had no time for it, wore it down constantly, and it was in desperate need of some tender loving care. I often wondered if I should snip of the worst of my ends, but I left them alone, patiently doing S&D's and micro dusting. It worked for a while, but then I went under the knife. In the months post my surgery last December, my hair thinned greatly. I could have lost more, and I would have if I had not taking extra vitamins and done all I could for my hair. That left my ends in even worse shape. While my roots have come in nicely and are reaching about 11 inches of pure, uncolored hair, my ends did not gain any length because of the shed and how often they break off.

Igor has patiently listened to me go on and on about my ends, me being very unhappy with them, as has my fiancé been listening about them since about June.. probably even before that. I don't know how often I have whined about them or dwell on the posts in my blogs about them. I know I promised not to do anything until December, but I can't wait that long anymore. This issue has been eating away at me and every time I am out and leave my hair down (which is not often) my thoughts are always on if my ends look alright.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Pic4-1.jpg
When you look at the images above you can see what I mean. I did gain 'virgin' length (sorry Igor!) as indicated by where the red line is, but I did not gain much in length, even though the hair is combed out more in the second picture. (The virgin hair looks uneven in the second picture because my 'bangs' were combed back and over my head.)

So tonight, I finally took action.

1)http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/IMG_5111-1.jpg........2)http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/ThinEnds.jpg
1) This was my hair a few hours ago. As you can tell there is a nice shape to it, but there is a lot of invisible ends that are not doing me or my hair any real good.

2) In this picture I circled the ends with a green blob that almost makes it look like my bum is laughing.

When I look at these images, well not the one with the laughing butt, but the first one, I see that my hair is not perfect, but it does look cleaner without those little near-invisible ends. My hair will always group into little wavy bunches when drying or just having been wind blown at the beach, but the ends.... as much as it seriously hurts me, they just have to go.

Here is my hair now:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/IMG_5115-1.jpg
This is the best shot I could get. My ends looked better in other shots but my shirt's hem was sideways and it made my hair look greatly uneven. I am still undecided if I am going to get another inch taken off tomorrow at the salon (my mother has to go in and I am going with her, though I usually opt out of the trim) or if I am just going to leave it alone.

Thoughts? Support? I am feeling really crappy and low right now even though the hair had to go.

I am still TBL right?

ETA: My ends are also a little wet in the last pic.

Igor
September 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM
I don’t notice any missing length unless I can see before and after at the same time. It doesn’t look shorter, just fuller!
Considering how much it bothered you, its probably a good thing you got a sane, controlled trim instead of a mad dash for the scissors :wink:

PS: I forgive you :p

Luckysock
September 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
oh don't feel bad! It looks great and you are totally still in TB territory.

I think you made the right move!

Dars
September 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
To be totally honest it doesn't look like you cut off all of the hair highlighted in the green so I would cut more (as someone who prefers a thick hemline).

kittensoupnrice
September 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
I say you're still definitely in TBL region, and I think the trim was a smart move.
You have a very nice even fairy tale hemline now, and I think it'll be easier to care for now, tbh!

I've always noticed that my hair tangles worse when my hemline is uneven.
Hope you have an even better year of growing coming up! :flower:

SgtMomArmy
September 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
It looks great. I wouldn't cut anymore off tomorrow. :-)

TinaDenali
September 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
I've always loved your ends, but I think they look marvelous now!

swivelhop
September 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have not been here long but I really do love your mermaid hair. Golden Fairytales and all. It seems you've done a lot recently to get healthier from the inside out. That will take time to show in the length but it will show.

ericthegreat
September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Your hair can't not look beautiful LittleOrca! It looked beautiful before when you had the fairy ends and now with your newly trimmed hemline. I can't say enough how much I LOVE your golden blonde color, even though I know its not your natural color its still so shiny!

Its up to you if you want to trim your hemline further up. To be honest, yes if you do take off say another inch, it would of course thicken up your ends and your hair would still be undoubtably very long by any standards, both in the mainstream outside world and also by the LHC world.

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Thank you everyone. I am feeling better about my hair. :) My ends look a lot better to me and are definitely thicker than the after picture shows. I will have to take a new picture after my next washing when my hair is clean and happy.

I feel very lucky to have a place to go where people understand the uneasiness that can come with a big trim, even to near-invisible ends, and to give support when it's needed. :grouphug: hugs for everyone

TiaKitty
September 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Yep, you're hair is still beautiful! I think the trim was an improvement, in that it made it look thicker by decreasing the variance from top to bottom. Does that make sense? I can't seem to figure out how to word it...

Kathie
September 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM
It look so much nicer! Good for you :flower:

Joliebaby
September 21st, 2010, 11:53 PM
Your hair is lovely, the trim did your ends good and it doesn't look shorter, just fuller! I think it was the right move.

Dragon
September 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Your hair looks great:) Trim defently have made the ends looks fuller.

LittleOrca
September 22nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
Here is another photo of my hair post-cut. Sorry it's small, it's from my phone, but it does capture how much better my ends do look now.

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo01/e4/8b/754b4aa2bf6b__1285110174000.jpeg

Heidi_234
September 22nd, 2010, 12:51 AM
Oh wow LittleOrca that is some stunning evidence that hair can break off faster than it grows from former dyeing and general abuse. Thanks for sharing, I definitely needed the reminder to keep my eyes on the prize.

Your hair looks great nevertheless, and I didn't notice great difference in length. I know it sucks losing length when you feel you need to gain more (I'm in the same situation actually), but try to think of every trim as making your hair healthier, and getting it closer to all virgin. These thin ends were only showing in numbers, not real life, anyway.

I always try to think of all the length that has to go as the extra I can enjoy now but it's not really mine, so when I trim it away, I'm just giving up something that shouldn't have been mine in the first place. I know it sounds crooked, but it's hard enough not to hold on to these ends as it is. I don't know if it helps, I hope it comforts you somehow.

I think you should start trimming more regularly to keep your ends healthier. I go by the trimming pact - I do it every other month, but surprisingly rarely feel the need to trim over 0.5" (I self trim using Feye's method, I don't trust hairdresser to trim so little, and avoid putting layers in my hair at the same time). I think your end will benefit immensely, and maybe even be able to grow longer and achieve your goals. :flower:

vanity_acefake
September 22nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Your hair is always beautiful. It will be so much happier now you have trimmed it. It is looking way thicker now and is definately still tailbone length. As ever you are my hair hero.

julya
September 22nd, 2010, 02:23 AM
It seems like it was a good idea for you to do that smallish trim. Your hair really doesn't look significantly shorter at all, and if they were damaged ends, maybe this will even help you start gaining length. I'm a supporter of trims, as long as it is done in moderation! I think that your hem looks great!

Phexlyn
September 22nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
Little Orca, I'm relieved you did a controlled and moderate trim. :flower:
I'm struggling with thin, see-through ends as well, and I'm absolutely not happy about them, so I see where you're coming from. It's hard to give up the length you've gained, even if it's not as beautiful as you want it to be...

Your hair looks very beautiful, and now that your hemline is thicker, I hope you will be happy with it again. I would not cut off more immediately. Yes, this could make your hemline even thicker, but then you might end up above tailbone. Maybe wait for another month, think about whether you need more off, or if you're happy as it is, and then decide. If you have growth again, you could also only cut off a portion/all the growth to thicken up without losing length.

I've been doing monthly trims of 1/2 inch to 1 inch for roughly six months now, and I begin to see improvement. Not necessarily in pictures, but when I trim, I need to cut off more individual hairs than when I started doing this. Baby steps, I know, but they really help :)

Little_Bird
September 22nd, 2010, 05:04 AM
Little_Orca, in the two first pictures, I see a big improovemente at the second one.

It almost looks like you didn't have a trim also, lenght wise. The ends look better too. You know, in hair so long, a little trim makes a quality difference, but not necessarily a lenght difference.
I really understand your struggle with your thin ends, because I have been going through the same. I deal with it with getting a compromise between growing and trimming. I also complain a lot and as you, I am so thankfull to LHC for suporting me.

Don't be sad about the hair that has been cut. I'm sure your ends must feel a little thicker and much fresher now. I think you did a good choice.
If you're not sure about trimming it again, wait it out untill December, as was your original plan, and figure what to do from there. You've got a very ambitious goal, and you already know it's going to take a lot of work, if your genes allow it.

Anyways, your hair is so very beautyfull, and you shouldn't be ashamed of anything about it. When you wear it loose, feel proud, because it's definitly special.

And of course, you always have us here for suport. It's very natural that in a society which demands us to be what's known to be "perfect" we get a lot of down times. We have to be strong at what we want and what we know it's best for us though. That makes us stronger than people who just give in to those standards :)

Your hair is beautyfull girl :flower:

cindy58
September 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I would take a little bit more off. Hopefully that will get rid of some of the most fragile hair, thicken your hem, and you will begin to see a growth in overall length again. Congrats on your great virgin growth!

Dolly
September 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Thoughts? Support? I am feeling really crappy and low right now even though the hair had to go.

I am still TBL right?

I understand how you feel! A few months ago, I had to cut back from a solid TB length to barely waist, due to a L'oreal dye disaster. But, the damage was too great, and my ends looked quite similar to yours.....almost "not there". But all those ends were doing were breaking off anyway, and causing my hair to look worse overall.

It broke my heart to do it, but it feels and looks so much better now, and I am at peace with what I had to do.

I think you are still at a solid TB length.....and I also think you did make the right decision....

PrincessBob
September 22nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
Yes, honey, you are still TBL, and frankly it looks nice, so I wouldn't sweat it, you only lost a couple inches and most of that was for the health of all you pretty long strands. Pouring love andsupport your way.

rags
September 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
You are still a solid TB, and your hemline looks much fuller now. I don't think you really need to cut any more - I think it looks very nice as is! I've always loved your hair! :crush:

Bonkers57
September 22nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
I third this, LittleOrca. Your hair looks great; I'm partial to ends that are a little more blunt - they do make your hair look fuller. :)

Your hair is lovely, the trim did your ends good and it doesn't look shorter, just fuller! I think it was the right move.

Maddy25
September 22nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
It looks amazing LittleOrca :) Your new ends look so good! The shape is lovely.

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
I think your hair looks great. We all have our preferences on ends. If you want thicker ends and a more blunt hemline, then yes you could trim a bit more off. If you're a fan of fairy tale ends, then wait a couple months and trim again. Growing longer is a process. It's not going to happen overnight. It's all about taking little steps towards your goal. Trims are often a big part of that journey. Don't look at it as a step backwards. Trims are steps forward.

pepperminttea
September 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
It looks lovely; really full, but still with that softness about it. Don't worry, you're definitely still TBL. :)

Gemma
September 22nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
Your hair looks really lovely. :) I understand being upset about needing to trim the ends but it's not very noticeable (in terms of length lost), other than making your hemline look fuller.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
If it were me, I'd go for one more inch, then hold for the next 3-4 months before trimming off a bit more.

torrilin
September 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty ruthless about damage. If it's acting damaged or split... off it goes. But my hair is really unpleasant to deal with when it's damaged. So in your situation, I might well chop off a lot more than an inch or two. I wear my hair long because it's just plain easier to deal with, and damage really negates that. I have really slippery hair, so while it tangles if you look at it funny, when it's healthy I can just finger comb it out easily. Damage means hours of effort at detangling, and usually my hair will try to develop proto-dreadlocks while I sleep... even in a sleep braid.

Not cool. My last trim was probably 2-3", and it was definitely triggered by a 6 hour ordeal of hair detangling. Yes, that was with less than BSL length hair, and with a sleep braid helping to keep it contained.

With different motivations tho... my strategy might not work for you. Dunno. And I'm actually really lucky. Most stylists are horrified at how much I'm willing to chop to get rid of damage, and they are great about cutting more conservatively than I would. (last time I was figuring at least 4-5" needed to go)

DarkChocolate
September 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
I agree that your hair looks fuller:) I think that it is very pretty with your golden waves:) I have the same issue with my ends too. I end up doing a microtrim and am very happy with the fuller looking result:)

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I also think you should either leave it and continue to do small trims after 3 months or go ahead and get another inch now (your call in what makes you feel best). The reason I am thinking this though is that if your problem is your ends breaking off, small trims on a regular basis may save you from that. It will also help you to determine or make sure you aren't at terminal. But then, I guess that will be hard to figure out until all of your hair is virgin :)

You have fantasy hair that even if it never changed from how it is, would be extremely long and pretty ^^

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
I agree that your hair looks fuller:) I think that it is very pretty with your golden waves:) I have the same issue with my ends too. I end up doing a microtrim and am very happy with the fuller looking result:)

To add to this, I have been doing small trims as well to get rid of damage and after my last one somebody said "wow your hair is looking long!"

I wear it down nearly all of the time but for some reason blunt ends makes it look longer ^.^

Wouldn't be surprised if people think it looks like your hair grew.

sibiryachka
September 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
I think the trim was a good choice - it really does not look noticeably shorter, just healthier. *note to self for when "no trims in 2010" expires*

Antipodienne
September 22nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think it actually *looks* longer after your trim. It definitely tricks the eye, and it looks lovely! Even if you decide to take off a couple more inches it would probably have the same effect. Maybe wait a week before deciding?

brunette
September 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Another thumbs up from me :D
:thumbsup:

manderly
September 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
LittleOrca, I've been struggling to keep my nasty ends for the last couple of years now too. I finally took the plunge and allowed about 3 inches to get whacked off this week. My hair feels SO lovely now!

To be honest with you, looking at your photos, if I were you (which I'm not, so take this with a grain of salt), I'd take it up to waist (which you have an incredible waist now! congratulations!). Look how thick your hair gets around that length!! My goodness :D

Anyway, it looks improved with little length lost......but carpe diem!! :D

LittleOrca
September 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I definitely see where I could trim more, but I think I am going to take my original goal date of "nothing until December" and use that for my next trim and then take off what I think is necessary. I had thought about going all the way back to waist, but I know I am sooooo not ready for that. lol. I'm going to let it grow then trim a little later. Thanks for your support all!

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
I definitely see where I could trim more, but I think I am going to take my original goal date of "nothing until December" and use that for my next trim and then take off what I think is necessary. I had thought about going all the way back to waist, but I know I am sooooo not ready for that. lol. I'm going to let it grow then trim a little later. Thanks for your support all!

Sounds like a plan to me. Sometimes the slow way to a thicker hemline is better (for both your hair in trying to grow it out due to uneven growth per hair and emotional reasons). Good luck!

little_cherry
September 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
You hair looks much fuller than it did a year ago!

The trim looks fantastic! :thumbsup:
:D

pennyroyal
September 22nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
It really doesn't look any shorter to me, honestly. It looks really great tho! You have really pretty hair.

maxzeen
September 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Little Orca your hair looks really good! I am glad you are happy with the trim :)