PDA

View Full Version : How much money has LHC saved you?

Danaus plexippu
September 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
I was reading the posts about the beauty blogger who thought LHCers a bit "creepy," and many mentioned her costly salon product recommendations. It got me thinking about how much I've saved since joining here just a little over a month ago.

As per the $$$$products and hairdresser charges, I went from about...oh, $60-$200 every six weeks (highlights and such with salon products) to <$20 every six weeks. This includes: .88 White Rain to clarify, GVP Condish. Balm, Treseme Naturals conditioner and BAQ Jamilla henna for root touch-ups. I already had coconut oil. I'm estimating (very roughly) a savings of about $1000/year. My wallet is very happy and my hair looks sooooo much better.

My only problem now is wanting to buy hairtoys...I'm trying to restrain and put them on my Christmas list.

Juneii
September 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA, any amount of money I have saved from trimming my own hair has gone into buying hair sticks, oils, and other styling tools. Infact, I think I may have spent more money for my hair than I have saved. Not that I am complaining, it is worth it.

may1em
September 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
I haven't saved money at all. Except maybe on trims, which I did pretty irregularly before (I used to be a big fan of the big chop).

I used to own shampoo, conditioner, and one or two styling products.

Now I have to challenge myself to get rid of stuff in the bathroom. I also have some more expensive hair things now.

I spend an exorbitant amount of money on hair, makeup, and skincare. And I refuse to apologize for it.

* goes back to open my makeup drawers and stare at it all. pretty. *

paigeturner
September 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
I haven't saved as such, because I never coloured my hair or had it cut regularly, but LHC has taught me things that are PRICELESS ----> :cheese: (nice bit of cheesiness there).
My shampoo and conditioner cost between £5-15) every six weeks, and my oils last me AAGGGGESSS.

I'm with may1em on spending stupid amounts of money on makeup/skincare. My BASIC makeup bag would cost £107 to replace (foundation, eyeliner, mascara, powder, blusher, primer). And that's not including the makeup brushes I use to apply it with.

RachelRain
September 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
I haven't saved anything, but I don't think I've spent any extra either - there's always vinegar, oils and beer in my house (for the rare occasion the boy wants one), and I make it a point to try different oils with my food periodically. I think at one point I had an entire shelf of nothing but oils... I miss that shelf. :(

I've always used cheapish conditioner - I buy the bigger bottles to save some money and the most expensive I think I've gone was like 10 dollars a bottle, but I swap brands a lot and average out to half that price (overall) in the long run. And I still can't put my hair up, because it hates me and my hands are inept, so... yeah, haven't blown a ton of money on hairsticks or anything yet.

I think the only makeup I own is a tube or two of mascara and a couple tubes of chapstick. Seriously. I have quite a few expensive colognes, though.

Danaus plexippu
September 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
I guess I should have asked if LHC has saved you or cost you! I've always been a product junkie...I don't know how long I can hold out. The lovely, shiney bottles of beautifying elixers lining the store shelves are my siren call.

pepperminttea
September 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
(There's a recent thread in a similar vein here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55291))

I haven't saved anything, really; but I enjoy my hair far more. I don't pay hairdresser costs, and I'm much more consumer-aware buying hair products about the ingredients, but what I save normally goes on experimenting with new oils and hairtoys... :o

Angeletti
September 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM
I love LHC but I have spent way more money because of it : ) The show me your nails thread taught me about all the different kinds of nail art so of course I had to buy all the stuff to do that and now I am nail obsessed. As for my hair I am now buying and trying out all kinds of different hair toys, I just bought my first Ficcare yesterday, eek DH will kill me if he finds out I spend fifty dollars on a hair accessory... but oh well I'm happy overall that I found out about all the great stuff from this place so I'm not going to complain.

bumblebums
September 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
On hairdressers alone, probably about $200/year. I used to cut my hair 2-3 times a year in the mistaken belief that it was required :)

I don't consider hair accessory spending a financial burden that LHC has inflicted on me--I am just glad to have finally found so many nice options! I also found no 'poo on my own, before I found LHC, and that's saved me a ton of money. Most of my hair care is now edible, and what isn't edible is very cheap.

ETA: I forgot to mention menstrual cups. That alone is saving me probably close to a $100/year on tampons, and I would not have thought to buy one if it wasn't for the MC thread.

ooo
September 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM
I spend an exorbitant amount of money on hair, makeup, and skincare. And I refuse to apologize for it.

* goes back to open my makeup drawers and stare at it all. pretty. *

same here :p

Wicked Princess
September 21st, 2010, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't say I've really saved any money, persay. I always used inexpensive hair products before. The only real difference now is that I'm using the RIGHT inexpensive products for my hair and my hair is MUCH healthier for it!

Jezerellica
September 21st, 2010, 04:00 PM
I have saved so much! It has been great. I outlined my salon costs in the previous thread, but did not mention the products.

In the single year I have been here at LHC, I have bought one bottle of drugstore conditioner. That's it. I am still trying to use up my high end products from over a year ago!! Talk about savings. I had already bought a giant container of Coconot oil. It is 1/2 gone.

Jezerellica
September 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
same here :p

Wait now!! No one said anything about makeup and skin care!

On that, I remain mum. :p