PDA

View Full Version : LHC members are vaguely creepy! (2010 article) [Epic thread]

Pages : [1] 2

Copasetic
September 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
I just found an article on a blog I follow where the author talks about how she has been obsessed with the vaguely creepy LHC for years! I wasn't offended; I was happy that we got a shout out!

I'm not sure what the rules on linking are, but the blog is called "Lemondrop" and the article is called "Secrets of a former beauty editor: how to grow long, healthy hair. " It was posted on September 20.

paperwhite
September 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Weird. I wonder in what ways we're considered creepy? And if we're so creepy, why be obsessed with us for years? I find that to be a little creepy...

marikamt
September 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
She needs to embrace her inner geek and admit she LOVES us.... otherwise she wouldn't spend hours reading about us and using our tips ;)

Henrietta
September 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
I cannot find this entry, when I am interested, in creepy way, in reading it *^_^*

Sammich
September 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Great tips, but creepy? :D (Puuhleease! ;) )

bumblebums
September 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Weird... This just goes to show that people see what they want to see, and remember what they want to remember. If she is indeed "obsessed" with this site, she would know that many, if not all of her "must-follow" bits of advice are quite controversial. The brush vs. comb thing, the "ouchless elastics" bit, and the "leave-in conditioner" bit in particular got me. Not to mention the "you absolutely must trim!" idea.

dfotw
September 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
"I've been obsessed with Long Hair Community -- the vaguely creepy site for people who like to take photos of themselves sitting on their long, long hair, then post them on the Internet to brag about it -- for years.

Just read the message boards with posts titled things like "I FINALLY HAVE MY FAIRY-TALE HAIR!". It's addicting. They've got a lot to teach me about growing my hair to levels of Rapunzel-worthy epic-ness, and I can't get enough."

You can find the whole piece here (http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/20/how-to-grow-long-healthy-hair-beauty-editor-secrets/).

Aaaaaaaah, no one had called me 'creepy' in months! I'd missed it! :D

Loviatar
September 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Bless. :D

(not a quality post!)

sibiryachka
September 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM
I honestly couldn't find much to object to in that article. Some teasing, yes, but I thought it was good-natured - and the advice she gave was sound, for a change : )

Copasetic
September 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Weird. I wonder in what ways we're considered creepy? And if we're so creepy, why be obsessed with us for years? I find that to be a little creepy...

I think she finds a message board dedicated to long hair a bit odd, like most people would, but we are so full of good advice she can't get enough of us!

I honestly couldn't find much to object to in that article. Some teasing, yes, but I thought it was good-natured - and the advice she gave was sound, for a change : )

Yeah, she seems to have pulled all the advice from things she has learned at the LHC. And I agree, the teasing was all in good fun :)

Weird... This just goes to show that people see what they want to see, and remember what they want to remember. If she is indeed "obsessed" with this site, she would know that many, if not all of her "must-follow" bits of advice are quite controversial. The brush vs. comb thing, the "ouchless elastics" bit, and the "leave-in conditioner" bit in particular got me. Not to mention the "you absolutely must trim!" idea.

I agree, not to mention that some of her advice assumes that one would have straight hair. Like the bit about brushing only dry hair. Many hair types can't be brushed at all!

sibiryachka
September 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
"...is vaguely creepy" would be an awesome siggy when my time comes...:p Bah, now someone will probably steal the idea!

paperwhite
September 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
"...is vaguely creepy" would be an awesome siggy when my time comes...:p Bah, now someone will probably steal the idea!

That would be funny! Hurry up and get posting so you can use it! :p

eezepeeze
September 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Well, bless her heart. This is what we say in my family when we are slightly peeved with someone but we are too polite to express it. It's code for, "oh, puh-leeeze!".

So, bless her heart.

restourceful
September 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
If you are here, Cat, I apologize if this comes off as harsh.

I find it creepy that she gave some good tips she learned here and some not-so-good or *incomplete* tips. Like all the conditioners she mentioned are (or seem to be) really heavy on the cones, but not everyone gets along with cones. And she starts out by saying you have to cut your hair to grow your hair?!! Seriously, I think the vast majority of us only trim minor amounts and S&D as infrequently as we can to be able to actually grow longer lengths, and some never trim at all, but she doesn't tell anyone that we do it this way. She forgot to mention you have to check those wide tooth combs for seams. And she never talks about alternative methods of washing like CO, CWC, WO, and SO, not to mention diluting shampoo or poo bars.

It's nice to have the shout-out, sure, but every one of us is unique, and what works for one may not work for everyone. I kind of feel like we have been slightly misrepresented and lumped together as coneheaded, scrunchy wearing, monthly haircutting, uncombed wierdos.

pepperminttea
September 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM
Ah yes, "endearing weirdos... totally convert[ed] to long-haired-loony-dom" - that's not too far off the mark. :D

MaryLA
September 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM
I found the blog easily. Just google Lemondrop Blog and it pops right up. After you've clicked on the website, look at the far left and click on Beauty. The long hair article should be at the top of the page.

I found that the author was very sarcastic and snobby toward LHC members. Especially the section on scrunchies. I have several small scrunchies that I wear all the time. She seems to preoccupied by whats in style.....

Copasetic
September 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
If you are here, Cat, I apologize if this comes off as harsh.

I find it creepy that she gave some good tips she learned here and some not-so-good or *incomplete* tips. Like all the conditioners she mentioned are (or seem to be) really heavy on the cones, but not everyone gets along with cones. And she starts out by saying you have to cut your hair to grow your hair?!! Seriously, I think the vast majority of us only trim minor amounts and S&D as infrequently as we can to be able to actually grow longer lengths, and some never trim at all, but she doesn't tell anyone that we do it this way. She forgot to mention you have to check those wide tooth combs for seams. And she never talks about alternative methods of washing like CO, CWC, WO, and SO, not to mention diluting shampoo or poo bars.

It's nice to have the shout-out, sure, but every one of us is unique, and what works for one may not work for everyone. I kind of feel like we have been slightly misrepresented and lumped together as coneheaded, scrunchy wearing, monthly haircutting, uncombed wierdos.

I think she was trying to give a Coles Notes understanding of the LHC to those who have probably never heard of it. There is way too much information, and diversity of hair care routines, on here to explain in any kind of detail.

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
I didn't appreciate the descriptions, it was like she was saying "they are total creeps and I have nothing to do with them, but here's some useful stuff they said". I find it somewhat patronizing, and she could at least avoid crediting LHC with foul information.

Nightshade
September 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Her attitude reminds me of the sort of popular snit in high school who was happy to have the smart girl in her study group but would go on and on about how nerdy and unfashionable she was in that I'm-cool-with-this-so-long-as-they-don't-think-I'm-one-of-THEM sort of way.

:rolleyes:

Arianwen
September 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
If the author thinks LHC is creepy, she or he really needs to get OFF THE INTARWEBS RIGHT NOW!

Melisande
September 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm an endearing weirdo. Well, weirdo for sure, endearing - hum, depends. Vaguely creepy - definitely. What I pity I can't yet sit on my hair but brag about it - yes I can.

Oh how I lurve being patronized a bit by a Rormer Beauty Editor with a love for silicones and expensive brands. :lol:

Her advice about night styles, scroos etc is more to the point than most stuff one reads in Beauty Publications.

Yes, I can patronize right back in return ;-)

paperwhite
September 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
I didn't appreciate the descriptions, it was like she was saying "they are total creeps and I have nothing to do with them, but here's some useful stuff they said". I find it somewhat patronizing, and she could at least avoid crediting LHC with foul information.

Her attitude reminds me of the sort of popular snit in high school who was happy to have the smart girl in her study group but would go on and on about how nerdy and unfashionable she was in that I'm-cool-with-this-so-long-as-they-don't-think-I'm-one-of-THEM sort of way.

:rolleyes:

Glad I'm not alone in getting that vibe from her. I just finished the article, and it smacks of snobbery and bratty attitude.

eezepeeze
September 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Glad I'm not alone in getting that vibe from her. I just finished the article, and it smacks of snobbery and bratty attitude.

As I said: well, bless her heart, isn't she precious? Sarcasm, anyone? I picked up on that vibe, too. Seemed a little catty to me, even if it was meant to be funny. That's the trouble with the written word. Tongue-in-cheek doesn't always come off well. It requires a lot of talent to do it with aplomb.

Ursula
September 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
As far as our "good advice" goes, does anyone else notice how focused she is on expensive products?

No discussion of understanding your hair type - just a recommendation for a MP brush, which would do little good for someone with curly hair. No mention of all the inexpensive yet good oils in the grocery store, just a link to an oil that costs $30 for two ounces. No suggestion for making an excellent deep conditioner such as the SMT from inexpensive ingredients, just links to pricey treatments.

She repeats the hairdresser's rule to keep cutting as you're growing your hair - no mention of how many LHCers disregard that rule to grow faster and still have great hair. Also no mention of the potential damage from bleach, blowdrying, heat styling or chemical curling/straightening.

Reading that article, it seems as if she's been here but completely failed to read or learn much.

NotLostYet
September 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
I found the description of the site "forum for people who take pictures of themselves sitting on their hair" inaccurate and misleading. It makes the forum sound like a ****** site imo.

I've stumbled across LHC twice in my internet-life. Once several years ago when I moved to the UK and found that my preferred brands of haircare were no longer available (and LHC has a really good amount of info on sulfate/silicone free products available in the UK, unlike the curly girl site did at the time), and more recently when questing for ways to put up my hair during the awkward regrowing stage after a severe post partum shed - like, bald spots severe.

The second time I registered and started posting, in part because I have more questions this time, and in part because how many unrelated times do I have to wander here before I get the hint?

Neither of those, in my case, stems from a desire to see hair sat on :rolleyes:, and I have not actually seen any threads that fit that description. Perhaps I lack imagination.

I'm a little surprised actually. The LHC seems pretty dedicated to keeping the ******ists out, and besides, it's a site called the Long Hair Community... did she think people here would be teapot enthusiasts??

missjessiecakes
September 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
I have commented just because I would hate for some poor soul curly or other to go there and immediately run a bbb through her hair. I can still hear the snapping when I did that

Toadstool
September 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Oh well I patronisingly find her as "endearing" as she finds us. That could be taken either way.
We say "Bless." here in Wales too.
Scrunchies are "dorky and unsexy"?? Man I'm screwed, I've been saving some for when my hair grows.

ETA Plus, I had to google "Kardashian", so I probably AM seriously dorky and unsexy. Shucks.

Yozhik
September 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hmmm...vaguely creepy, eh?

Well I find her article vaguely amusing and informative :)

Luckysock
September 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM
ummm I have a little box on my dresser that I keep my shed hair in so I can one day make a rat out of it.... thats the stuff of serial killers people ;) ... we have some creepy habits don't ya think?

Sister13
September 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
That blogger was just trying to sound cool & like she had an angle. Mediocre, uninspired blogpost she cribbed from LHC and beyond. I don't buy her deep conditioner recommendations -- sounds like she's getting paid to mention brand names.

Hmmph.

linda g
September 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
I'm sure the author is appreciating the traffic we are driving to her blog.

Igor
September 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
I’m amused. She definitely took the advice offered by us creepy people to heart, huh? That’s got to be the best article for growing healthy hair I have ever encountered outside of a “real” hair site

Creepy people = Good to learn from? I’ll remember this the next time a bum in a tinfoil hat starts telling me about the dishwasher conspiracy…

dragonmyst
September 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
I don't find this site creepy. Everyone I have encountered here since I found the site has been helpful and informative. I have learned so much about hair care in just the short time here I have to say I'm hooked.

I don't care for her article nor her attitude. But that is just me.

Joliebaby
September 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
And "abusing prenatal vitamins"? LOL! They are just broad spectrum multi-vitamins, they won't make you preggers or grow huge b***sts or even suddenly sprout waist length hair or anything.

Silly thing. I think she should hang out here more because clearly she still has more to learn :D

Intransigentia
September 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Totally. I'm still new, but I find this place pretty much the opposite of creepy. Y'all are kind, accepting, and eager to help us n00bs, with no ulterior motive apparent except perhaps some evil enabling.

And like there aren't other sites where people post pictures of themselves to show change over time. Weight loss and bodybuilding sites anybody?

renarok
September 21st, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think her vague obsession of us is weirdly creepy.

birthmarkie
September 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
She shouldn't bite the hand that feeds her! And she should have cited LHC well before now if she used it throughout her beauty editor career, and should have shared her profits. Was she calling members creepy or the entity? I think LHC is vaguely creepy in ways, if you think of it from an outsider's perspective, but she is protesting way too much. Again, it annoys me that she's been misusing the community and putting our ideas out there as her own. I'm sure others do it too. She just happened to get caught and being mildly insulting is really disingenuous. It would be nice if we all left comments on her blog to this effect ...

Harriet
September 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
The article is quite refreshing when compared to your average one, but find her need to patronise and insult us totally unnecessary.
I would argue that i'm not creepy, but I think perhaps me collecting my shed hairs might be quite creepy.

Juneii
September 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Ah, creepy, that sounds like an accurate description of me but certainly not everyone else.

Now, before we jump on her words an tear it apart piece by piece, we are all forgetting that just because she read the many many many many different threads on LHC, she is probably not a member or at least a not very active one. Many of the tips and tricks we have picked up (an now bashing her for not knowing) took months and months of reading and trial and error.
My point of view? She did do a lot of reading into our forum, but most likely didn't do extensive research as many of us did.

If I was a writer who stumbled upon a forum on foot care I'd be creeped out and poke fun at their obsession too - while taking some of their advice ;)

Angela_Rose
September 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
"Well, isn't that special." Say that with the condescension this lass applies to us and our creepy but damn good advice.

In any case, I'm personally a little creepy. I'm okay with that, though. Having everybody else on here described as such, though? Not so much.

Also, I have been around here over three years and can honestly say that I have not yet once seen a single photograph or thread featuring a depiction of sat-upon hair.

So there. :-P

jeanniet
September 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Meh, any forum devoted to one subject might strike "outsiders" as a little...eccentric. I'm sure that if anyone were to go on one of my tortoise forums and see how often we talk about poop, they'd find that distasteful and maybe creepy as well! :D

Dolly
September 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
That blogger was just trying to sound cool & like she had an angle. Mediocre, uninspired blogpost she cribbed from LHC and beyond. I don't buy her deep conditioner recommendations -- sounds like she's getting paid to mention brand names.

Hmmph.

Yes, every product link takes you to where you can buy the products.....she is probably an affiliate, so she gets commission on every sale.

dragonmyst
September 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Also, I have been around here over three years and can honestly say that I have not yet once seen a single photograph or thread featuring a depiction of sat-upon hair.

So there. :-P

hehe.

I would think it would damage the hair to sit on it so why would you? Me with my barely APL hair on one side and almost BSL on the other side hair.

dragonmyst
September 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
Meh, any forum devoted to one subject might strike "outsiders" as a little...eccentric. I'm sure that if anyone were to go on one of my tortoise forums and see how often we talk about poop, they'd find that distasteful and maybe creepy as well! :D

Tortoise forums?? wow. My mom frequents a chicken community which I thought was a bit... odd.

Igor
September 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM

7+ years here and me neither :rolleyes:

Edit: This reminds me of the “stupidest comment” thread: “Uhm, people with long hair. Hm. What do people with long hair do? Errh… They pee on it, right? Because they don’t move it away from the toilet seat! And get it caught in doors. Definetely. They also sit on it. A lot, right? Yea, people with long hair totally sit on it a lot! Like, all the time!”

florenonite
September 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
I don't mind being called vaguely creepy or endearingly weird, however I do mind the misrepresentation of the site as full of "people who like to take photos of themselves sitting on their long, long hair, then post them on the Internet to brag about it", because (a) I've never seen a picture of someone sitting on their hair on this site and (b) I've seen very little bragging, and it's more in the vein of well-deserved pride than actual boasting. If you're going to call me creepy or weird, at least get the reasoning right :p

If the author thinks LHC is creepy, she or he really needs to get OFF THE INTARWEBS RIGHT NOW!

Or she might find 4chan :lol:

As far as our "good advice" goes, does anyone else notice how focused she is on expensive products?

Agreed. She implies you have to spend a lot of money conditioning your hair. I spend £1.50 per 500g of coconut oil, and that's it.

jeanniet
September 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Tortoise forums?? wow. My mom frequents a chicken community which I thought was a bit... odd.
Tortoise forums, yep. Well, I keep them, so it stands to reason, right? ;)

I have "met" some truly creepy people online (not on tortoise forums--we're maybe a bit odd, but nice, heehee). Believe me, no one here fits that description at all. I think she was just trying to be witty (and patronizing) and not doing a particularly good job of it.

Jenn of Pence
September 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'm sure the author is appreciating the traffic we are driving to her blog.

That's what I'm thinking!

Juneii
September 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM

LOL

Agreed. She implies you have to spend a lot of money conditioning your hair. I spend £1.50 per 500g of coconut oil, and that's it.

That is an interesting thing to bring up. From what I remember from talking to my friends who don't care about hair care as much as I do, they scorn cheap products. No joke, their reasoning is that if the product is as cheap as it is, then it probably doesn't work as well as their $50 shampoo and conditioner. :shrug: Maybe this is for those readers who don't want to believe that our oils are relatively very inexpensive? Her readers just might think that on top of being loonies who take pictures of the back of our heads, we're also cheap on the things we buy.
Also, I saw that in her hair accessory list she doesn't mention hair sticks, forks, ficcares, flexi-8s, handmade hair things (etc.). I thought that was also one of the important things I have learned here from the LHC...

Sagi1982
September 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm definetly creepy! :brains: ;-)
But why worry about some silly expensive stupid product entusiast? :D

TinaDenali
September 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Us? Creepy?! No way :P

YesitsReal
September 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Some of her advice is a bit...off. And I'm sure since she's so crazy about deep conditioning frequently for AT LEAST 30 minutes each time(In my house that would be about a 15 minute cold shower), she'd probably be really upset to read this:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2010/05/22/how-long-do-you-have-to-leave-conditioner-in-your-hair/

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM

No discussion of understanding your hair type - just a recommendation for a MP brush, which would do little good for someone with curly hair. No mention of all the inexpensive yet good oils in the grocery store, just a link to an oil that costs $30 for two ounces. No suggestion for making an excellent deep conditioner such as the SMT from inexpensive ingredients, just links to pricey treatments.

She repeats the hairdresser's rule to keep cutting as you're growing your hair - no mention of how many LHCers disregard that rule to grow faster and still have great hair. Also no mention of the potential damage from bleach, blowdrying, heat styling or chemical curling/straightening.

Reading that article, it seems as if she's been here but completely failed to read or learn much.

Quoted for truth!

LOL! :rollin:

I think we should all post a picture and brag about it so there would be some truth to her post. I'll go first:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5631/lhcsittingcopy.png
Look! I can sit on my hair! I can sit on my hair!

lapushka
September 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Did she just turn us into old-fashioned, no-heat styling, no-coloring, long-haired hippies who shouldn't be taken seriously in this modern day and age but should be brushed off as creepy?

Oh yes, of course the "creeps" don't own a blow dryer and never heard of hair coloring or, God forbid, a hair dresser. Oh, and I bet having gray hair also violates a "modern world rule".

Now, if only she'd gotten her facts straight. :roll:
We might be "vaguely creepy" but at least we're not vaguely off.

Angeletti
September 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM
She's just another judgmental person in society who has nothing better to do than make fun of individuals who are different than her in her own mind... what's new. It makes me want to send tons of pics to her of me sitting on my hair lol but she's not worth it, just ignore her ignorance.

MandyBeth
September 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Ok, the blog is more/less an internet Cosmo. Taken in that line, it's actually better than most. As I don't see hissy fits over that advice. She tries some LHC while wanting the 'normal' magazine advice. If any method works for all, there is none.

Pumpkin
September 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Ah yes, "endearing weirdos... totally convert[ed] to long-haired-loony-dom" - that's not too far off the mark. :D

:cheese: love it!!!!! :D

Maddy25
September 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM
I think it's kind of rude of her to say a negative comment about us (if you concider creepy negative) and then repost things she learned because of us...an odd woman...

ravenreed
September 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Actually, many people take prenatals in hopes of longer hair, and they have levels of vitamins that can be dangerous if one is not pregnant... I am glad that she mentioned that as a 'don't do it.'

And "abusing prenatal vitamins"? LOL! They are just broad spectrum multi-vitamins, they won't make you preggers or grow huge b***sts or even suddenly sprout waist length hair or anything.

Silly thing. I think she should hang out here more because clearly she still has more to learn :D

Nightshade
September 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM

Oh gods, one can only hope :twisted:

Heidi that was fantastic :D :lol:

She just envious because I can sit on MY hair as a hammock! :p

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qbGfxZc8SsY/TJj_m2tJdFI/AAAAAAAAAhE/6d-qyQKRWOo/s640/Hair-Hammock.jpg

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
WOW Nightshade, that one is so awesome! :lol: :rollin:
Talking about fairytale endings :p

Maddy25
September 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Oh gods, one can only hope :twisted:

Heidi that was fantastic :D :lol:

She just envious because I can sit on MY hair as a hammock! :p

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qbGfxZc8SsY/TJj_m2tJdFI/AAAAAAAAAhE/6d-qyQKRWOo/s640/Hair-Hammock.jpg

Adore!!! :)

Unofficial_Rose
September 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM

This was my first thought. If we're creepy to her, heaven knows what she makes of all those properly weird sites. She must have led a very sheltered life. :confused:

FrannyG
September 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
I think it's creepy to be obsessed by something that one professes to find vaguely creepy and then twist the motives and the knowledge found there in a half-baked manner for one's own purposes. :rolleyes:

And Heidi_234 and Nightshade, may I tell you both how much I adore your bragging about how you can sit on your hair? :crush:

Chestershire
September 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
that's not a very nice thing to say. I bet she has some weird habbits too, everyone has. Me thinks she is frustrated about her own hair or something. :D

Copasetic
September 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
I think it's creepy to be obsessed by something that one professes to find vaguely creepy and then twist the motives and the knowledge found there in a half-baked manner for one's own purposes. :rolleyes:

And Heidi_234 and Nightshade, may I tell you both how much I adore your bragging about how you can sit on your hair? :crush:

It's kind of a compliment. We are vaguely creepy, but she can't get enough of us! We are too full of good advice.

Nightshade
September 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
WOW Nightshade, that one is so awesome! :lol: :rollin:
Talking about fairytale endings :p

I ALMOST gave myself faerie wings too :lol:

I'm glad you guys like it! :cheese:

Let's go, guys, bust out the MS Paint skillz!

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I ALMOST gave myself faerie wings too :lol:

I'm glad you guys like it! :cheese:

Let's go, guys, bust out the MS Paint skillz!
Nightshade, I hope you don't mind... :lol:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/882/lhcw.jpg
What? Didn't someone ask for a LHC banner over the site support board? *innocent eyes*

paperwhite
September 21st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Love the banner!! :rollin:

yellowchariot
September 21st, 2010, 01:39 PM
I wonder what kind of "creepy" forums that she participates in?! shudder:

LHC is no more creepier than any other information based forum on the web. We all come here to learn about the subject that the forum is founded upon.

sophiamarie
September 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM
I am new to LHC and find the site and everyone on it friendly, down to earth and full of great advice. How this can be interpreted as "creepy" is beyond me.

Angela_Rose
September 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
Aw, crap. Igor's and my records have now been destroyed by depictions of satupon hair. Thanks a lot, girls.

Grr.

StephanieB
September 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
Eh, I took a quick scan of her blog... but I couldn't honestly be bothered to read any more of her nonsense.

I als wouldn't go back OR give her blog any kind ofshout-out, coz I wouldn't give her the traffic.

I got the same impression.

And if we're so creepy, why be obsessed with us for years? I find that to be a little creepy...
This.

If one so obsessed with something one find creepy that one keep going back to it, year after year - for years... what does that say about one's own creepiness factor?

Now that ^ is really creeeeeepy!

Unofficial_Rose
September 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm going to grow my hair specifically so that I can sit upon it.

Yours creepily,

Unofficial_Rose

Nightshade
September 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
What? Didn't someone ask for a LHC banner over the site support board? *innocent eyes*

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA Love it! If anyone wants to use that for anything go right ahead. It was just a 15 min job in Photoshop.

Hi everybody,

Yours creepily,

Unofficial_Rose

WOW! That's so awesomely CREEPY! I hope one day I can grow up and blog about how creepy you are :cloud9:

RachelRain
September 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
I read it, and she sounds like a left out little girl to me - like she didn't get the lead part in the ballet so she's gonna snark on everyone else who got a better part. Meh.

Anyways, I absolutely adore how well everyone takes being called creepy :) I've always been vaguely creepy, so I find a weird sort of validation in that. (And of course, I actually DO sit on my hair, but I don't take pictures of it because that would be weird. And my ends are fine, I promise!)

I do think it's pretty cool she gave the site a shout out, even if it was sort of... well, half@ssed, but I don't think I'd go back and read her blog again. Was kind of... forgettable, really. (Sorry, girl, but it was.)

Bene
September 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM
I've been referred to as creepy. Never about my hair. This is a new one for me :laugh:

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Omg... I.. I am creepy because of my hair?

*sniffle* But... I thought I was perfectly normal.... If I were to get rid of my hair and use expensive products and stop using LHC, I would be normal then, right? *Flips tail*

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Z%20Misc%20Gallery/IMG_2456-1.jpg
So this picture is creepy....

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Z%20Misc%20Gallery/ExpensiveMermaid-1.jpg
but this one is ok! :) Notice all the expensive bottles of Nexxus I have to make sure my hair is wonderful? And I had to cut my hair to make sure it would grow!

FrannyG
September 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Hi everybody,

Yours creepily,

Unofficial_Rose

Unnofficial_Rose, that's just plain, well--vaguely creepy. :)

christine1989
September 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
I can see why "outsiders" may view LHC as creepy. When I first joined LHC it seemed to me that some members built their lives around their hair which did kinda creep me out. As I hung around more though I realized that LHC and its members are not so one dimentional. There are many threads that address all of life's issues small and large- not just hair.

3azza
September 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Did she just make use of all the good advices on this site and then made fun of it? How b*tchy of her...

Angela_Rose
September 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Little_Orca...

I love you.

Well, unless that's creepy.

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
LittleOrca, you're sitting on sea lions, not you own hair, and you didn't even brag about it. That puts you in the totally not creepy part of the internet.

Nightshade
September 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
:spitting:

Wow, Little Orca, those overpriced bottles of silicone really make that sooooo not creepy!

*swings on hair hammock*

Angela_Rose
September 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Nightshade, can I come swing with you?

Petite Simone
September 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
LittleOrca, that was a fabulous response right there. Cheeky, witty, and oh so perfect. LOVE it :crush:

I read the article, and while there was *some* good advice, it was misrepresented and not true for everyone. I also found her need to rag on our community a little offensive. For her to say that we are creepy, then quote (incorrectly might I add) our advice is a little odd, I think.

LittleOrca
LittleOrca, you're sitting on sea lions, not you own hair, and you didn't even brag about it. That puts you in the totally not creepy part of the internet.

But I am sitting on sea lion hair... fur.... bronze fur.... and I can totally brag about it!

"OMG, ladies and gents, I was like at the coast and I sat on these fake sea lions! It was soooo epix! I was in my tail too and I looked awesume!" (typos on purpose, lol)

Altocumulus
Hahahaha...she must have missed the Monistat thread, or she'd have used stronger language than "vaguely creepy" and "endearing weirdos". :twisted:

Nightshade
September 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Nightshade, can I come swing with you?

Of course :D Tie yourself in!

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
WAIT! You know what picture is missing from this thread?

http://i47.tinypic.com/14w65nq.jpg

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Wait a minute, did she call us "vaguely creepy" and "endearing weirdos"? Maybe she mistaken our back of the head shots for frontal shots and thought we're all Cousin Itt's relatives? I mean, The Adams family can easily be described as "vaguely creepy" and "endearing weirdos".

Just a thought guys, maybe it's all a misunderstanding here. :p

paperwhite
September 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
HAHA! Perfect, Little Orca! Perfect! I'd love to see the look on her face after seeing that clip...

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
Wait a minute, did she call us "vaguely creepy" and "endearing weirdos"? Maybe she mistaken our back of the head shots for frontal shots and thought we're all Cousin Itt's relatives? I mean, The Adams family can easily be described as "vaguely creepy" and "endearing weirdos".

Just a thought guys, maybe it's all a misunderstanding here. :p

:rollin:

But I would want to be Wednesday Adams... just with longer braids... I could then tie them into nooses and hang my doll heads from them. :D

ktani
September 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
"Creepy" and "endearing weirdos" are not exactly words that you would expect from a former "magazine beauty editor" regarding a website devoted to long hair care.

If this person had been lurking for years, she would have known that this website is open to all hair lengths, with members often changing their hair length for various reasons. She is far more narrow in her reporting, than she credits LHC with being.

I also found her musings on hair care she learned from LHC lacking. I am not impressed with the article. There is no hint of professionalism in it to me, that there was any formerly or is any presently. I worked with an excellent editor when I submitted articles to Canadian Hairdresser Magazine years ago. The editor I knew was aware of and understood the meaning of the word discretion.

Toadstool
September 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
I quite like being described as an "endearing weirdo".

Wicked Princess
September 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
"...the vaguely creepy site for people who like to take photos of themselves sitting on their long, long hair, then post them on the Internet to brag about it -- for years." Now, maybe it's because I've been gone awhile, but wouldn't us sitting on our hair sort of...go against all the advice that she's supposedly obsessed with us for? And the encouragement of HER OWN article's advice to minimize damage? Maybe she didn't read our site. Or hers. :p Perhaps we have some clue as to why she's a former editor?

Quoted for truth. :D Any time there is a very narrow focus on one specific topic, people think that the topic is center of the universe for everyone who participates in the discussion of such and will brook no argument to the contrary! Of course...if I had to think of one reason I was vaguely creepy, it wouldn't be my obsession with hair. There's a list around here somewhere....

Also...LittleOrca and Nightshade...the graphics you shared are beyond Epic!

little_cherry
September 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
LOL...oh dear.

This thread is win.

If I could sit on my APL hair, I'd want her to eat her words and write about it too.

bumblebums
September 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM
This thread is getting better and better! Little Orca, that just made my day.

enfys
September 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Umm...she tried to give good advice but her words hurt me. Being mean doesn't get respect or sympathy off me.

She has been to this site, but missed the most important point. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

A true hair care advice article would never recommend products because there are so many variations depending on lifestyle, budget, availability of products and most of all hair type!

This thread has been the funniest for a while though!

nellreno
September 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hmmm. Honestly to me the article sounded like she was mocking us.

ktani
September 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Fashion magazine beauty editors are loyal to their advertisers. That is how it works. It is about the money. You can take the editor out of the beauty magazine... That is what is behind the expensive product recommendations.

No one here should be hurt by the article. Offended? yeah I get that. Odd that the person behind the article is "obsessed" with LHC. Hair envy? More than likely.

missjessiecakes
September 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
I am so using the LHC Banner as my background! thank you nightshade

Also I have decided that when I hit 1000 posts my title will be Endearing Weirdo!

ooo
September 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
I could not bother to read the whole article, but I love this thread :D

sibiryachka
September 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I am so using the LHC Banner as my background! thank you nightshade

Also I have decided that when I hit 1000 posts my title will be Endearing Weirdo!

Thank you for not dibsing "vaguely creepy". Race you to 1000 posts! :D

Carolyn
September 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Vaguely creepy sounds like a good thing to me. The article wasn't that bad compared to other articles on long hair. She missed a lot of points she should have picked up on if she really had been hanging out here that long. I have no problem with the products she linked. I use them myself and consider them good for my hair.

andwife
September 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Her blog did not result in any actual thought or emotion on my part. (shrugs)

However, y'all are making me laugh with this thread. The people trying to be funny are achieving their goal. The drawings and pictures are wonderful! Thank you :-)

In2wishin
September 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM

I hope our LisaJaney doesn't hear you say that :eyebrows:

I told my Psychiatrist about this community and she didn't think it was creepy at all. (She was surprised that such a place existed, though)

EdG
September 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
I didn't bother to read the article.

I can't imagine us being described as "vaguely creepy". We're regular people with an abundance of hair. We could possibly be characterized as "hairy". :D

That's a great illustration, Nightshade!
Ed

leslissocool
September 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
I thought she was a snob... I fell in love with the information and encouragement of this site, became a member and I guess I can say a bit obsessed too... The fact that she is following from far away and had a lot of misleading information comes off to me as very snobby.

Other than that, I really don't care what she says... when people look at my hair on it's full glory, no one will remember her silly name calling... and she'll be the creepy one :)...

plus in my circle of friends, the longer the hair the better (specially on guys, my husband's hair is almost as long as mine)

unicornologist
September 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
her use of the word "vaguely" is unquestionably irritating.

ArienEllariel
September 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lol, it's good that the LHC is getting attention from others.. ever if they jokingly call us "creepy". :P

McFearless
September 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM
Oh please we are sooo creepy, admit it :D

akuamoonmaui
September 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM
My guess is she has her own "vague creepiness" and we're just a diversion for her own denial. Ha!

rusika1
September 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM

You may have 'vaguely creepy' if I may have 'endearing wierdo'.

I thought the article was amusing. I don't think she was making fun of us (well, maybe a little, but it was affectionately done). And she covered many of the high points of caring for long hair, providing little introductory tidbits of information. Remember, this was a brief, light-hearted article about caring for long hair, not a doctoral dissertation.

LHC can be a little...out there? Most 'ordinary' people would be taken aback by the idea of applying Monistat to their scalp, or castor oil, or vinegar--and those are the normal things! What about the members who've chosen to take one for the team and apply pureed onion to their hair?

BlueMuse
September 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
I didn't find her offensive, and she is right, everyone does kind of get down on the heat styling. And judging by the way my husband and my friends look at me when I talk about dumping molasses on my head, people do find us a liiitttllleee creepy.

Me talking about my hair usually goes "So I *blah, blah, blah* don't look at me like that, I'm not crazy! Touch the hair! Touch it!" and then everyone sidles away from me. But considering my general geekery, I'm weird already.

I think it's more that when people stumble across the boards, and they're not used to advice forums, we come off strange and obsessive. I had a friend that was gaga for humvees. I did not get his passion. I thought it was weird. And now my friends think I am too :cheese:.

rusika1
September 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hi everybody,

Yours creepily,

Unofficial_Rose

Dear Unofficial_Rose,

I don't recommend it. It causes discomfort, followed by unendearingly weird flailing as you try to move the hair out from under you without standing up first. Makes it really hard to maintain any level of coolness. So I hear.:D

Amraann
September 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Any publicity is good publicity if LHC was looking for more members.

I did find the following statement from the article offensive.
"You're not allowed to blow-dry your hair EVER AGAIN! Or flat iron it, or curl it! Seriously! If you're serious about growing your hair long like a fanatic, at least. That's the biggest lesson you'll learn from reading the Long Hair Community message boards -- posting about crimping your hair in one of those forums would be like waltzing drunk into an A.A. meeting. No one would be feeling you."

I have not found that to be a true reaction of LHC members.
Pretty much we are tolerant of all types of things and ideas. If someone wants to crimp or straighten or cut the most often statement would be good luck! or some type of well wishing.

Clearly she missed those threads.

FrannyG
September 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
I didn't find her offensive, and she is right, everyone does kind of get down on the heat styling. And judging by the way my husband and my friends look at me when I talk about dumping molasses on my head, people do find us a liiitttllleee creepy.

Me talking about my hair usually goes "So I *blah, blah, blah* don't look at me like that, I'm not crazy! Touch the hair! Touch it!" and then everyone sidles away from me. But considering my general geekery, I'm weird already.

I think it's more that when people stumble across the boards, and they're not used to advice forums, we come off strange and obsessive. I had a friend that was gaga for humvees. I did not get his passion. I thought it was weird. And now my friends think I am too :cheese:.

In all seriousness, I don't think that everyone is against heat styling. I think we just want to make sure that people make informed choices when they want to do anything that is potentially damaging to hair.

There are plenty of folks here who heat-style daily, and there are plenty of folks like me, who use chemical dye. I made my decision to keep dyeing my hair after being well-informed and thinking over what would make me happy. Some people, like me, love BBBs, people with curlier hair, not so much.

My issue with the article is that it didn't take any individuality into account. There are so many differing methods and opinions here.

I completely agree, however, that we crazy longhairs are endearing weirdos, and sometimes more than just vaguely creepy. :D

BlueMuse
September 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
I don't think everyone literally is against heat styling (see my generalizing in the other post? everyone does it based on a broad intake of information), it's just that the general vibe I've gotten from almost every heat styling thread I've stumbled into is that it is, to put it kindly, a very very bad idea. The few "do what you want" voices are usually overshadowed by people talking about how horrendously bad it is (sometimes even to the point of chastising the original poster and on one bad occasion name calling), so I can see how she would have formulated that opinion.

And a lot of humorous blogging is taking things to the extreme to poke fun at it, and I think that taking what she has to say too seriously will just result in undue stress. I think it does everyone good to learn to laugh at themselves. It's certainly lowered my stress levels and made me a nicer person. Plus, she's only got a small bit of space to make her points effectively (so not enough space to give every opinion a fair hearing). She did link to LHC, and I think that the whole "watch out, they're a bit weird over there" might actually make the buckets of hair advice less startling if someone does visit us.

TrudieCat
September 21st, 2010, 08:28 PM
BWAHAHAhahaha!! :twisted: :laugh: I am unable to control my creepy laugh as I read through this thread!

I told my Psychiatrist about this community and she didn't think it was creepy at all. (She was surprised that such a place existed, though)

I told my shrink about this community too... she said "ooohh, how neat!"

So there, fancy product pusher lady! My shrink doesn't think I'm a weirdo - or, uh, at least not because I'm hanging out at LHC, anyway.... :laugh: :bigtongue:

FrannyG
September 21st, 2010, 09:04 PM
I don't think everyone literally is against heat styling (see my generalizing in the other post? everyone does it based on a broad intake of information), it's just that the general vibe I've gotten from almost every heat styling thread I've stumbled into is that it is, to put it kindly, a very very bad idea. The few "do what you want" voices are usually overshadowed by people talking about how horrendously bad it is (sometimes even to the point of chastising the original poster and on one bad occasion name calling), so I can see how she would have formulated that opinion.

And a lot of humorous blogging is taking things to the extreme to poke fun at it, and I think that taking what she has to say too seriously will just result in undue stress. I think it does everyone good to learn to laugh at themselves. It's certainly lowered my stress levels and made me a nicer person. Plus, she's only got a small bit of space to make her points effectively (so not enough space to give every opinion a fair hearing). She did link to LHC, and I think that the whole "watch out, they're a bit weird over there" might actually make the buckets of hair advice less startling if someone does visit us.

Everything you say is true, of course, BlueMuse. I frequently refer to myself as "one of those crazy longhaired people" in my own blog. :)

BWAHAHAhahaha!! :twisted: :laugh: I am unable to control my creepy laugh as I read through this thread!

I just reread this thread and I have creepy tears in my eyes from all of this creepy laughter. :rollin:

Ivy~Rose
September 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ouch, not an impressive article. Glad to see some smart-but-tasteful comments from LHC'ers over there :thumbsup: As an online content writer myself, I can see her jumping at a niche group as an article gold mine, but she did it so ungracefully. Yich. Sitting on my hair? Yeah right.

clichepithet
September 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah... this whole hair-sitting business?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/legionlacking/iwin.jpg

What? I'm just sayin'...

ericthegreat
September 22nd, 2010, 12:16 AM
Well isn't she just the sweetest little angel on God's green Earth? :rolleyes:

This woman reminds me of the Regina George character in the movie Mean Girls. She is catty, snobby, and blatantly condescending. If she were 16 years old I suppose you could brush her off as simply a young brat. But for her to still carry on like an immature teenaged girl at her age is just sad.

"LHC members are CREEPY! They're all WEIRDOS! They are some weirdo cult that likes to take pictures of themselves sitting on their hair! They never trim their hair ever and they have never heard of hair dye and heat styling appliances!" :rolleyes:

Seriously, this woman was an editor and these were the only words that she could come up with? The editors of my high school paper showed more class and professionalism than she did. Part of me is hoping that the reason that she is no longer an editor is precisely because of her lack of maturity.

ScarlettAdelle
September 22nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
I read this post earlier today and it still bothers me! This woman claims to be a beauty expert, yet thinks that it's odd to brush your hair with a boar bristle brush! If she were really an expert she would know that women used boar bristle brushes for centuries before plastics were invented, therefore WE are the anomaly! I have many other problems with this post, but I would rather keep them to myself for fear of sounding bitter and rantish... >:/

camillacamilla
September 22nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Well one thing for sure. I may have read that article on her blog, but I sure won't be back to her blog. She better enjoy the temporary increase in blog traffic right now, because it isn't going to last.

Roseate
September 22nd, 2010, 01:10 AM
You know what I thought was creepy when I first came across LHC? The back-of-the-head avatars. It was like you were all facing into the corner in the last scene of Blair Witch Project! :demon: It takes a while to get used to talking to everybody's back.

But now, what do you see to the left of my post? That's right. Creepy, I am it.

luxepiggy
September 22nd, 2010, 04:00 AM
Excellent, excellent, now I can check off "be called vaguely creepy by a former beauty editor" from my to-do list. I've been meaning to take care of that one for ages!

hehe (^(oo)~)

jackie75
September 22nd, 2010, 04:10 AM
I found that article to be insulting, immature and narrow minded. Along with catty and pretentious.

I think calling an intelligent hair care forum "creepy" and it's members "weirdos" speaks for itself. That's not a blog I will be returning to. :)

30isthenewblack
September 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
Excellent, excellent, now I can check off "be called vaguely creepy by a former beauty editor" from my to-do list. I've been meaning to take care of that one for ages!

hehe (^(oo)~)

:rollin: You're hilarious! I read through her blog post briefly. I find it offensive when people call others 'weird'. What is normal anyway? And who is she to deem what is normal and what is not. What is considered normal or mainstream is dynamic and changing anyway.

A beauty editor is hardly a journalist and as Ktani said earlier, the products editors endorse are highly influenced by advertisers. I'm so pleased she honoured us with her presence, took our advice and then slapped us in the face. Well done :applause

Funnily enough, it actually made me feel prouder to be a part of this community because someone like this editor obviously doesn't feel a part of it so she feels the need to ridicule a forum she hasn't even tried to understand. The LHC is quite welcoming as long as you approach members newish and old in a respectful manner.

Bonkers57
September 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Is there a rule that says two or more people can't use the same siggy? :p

And you're still giving the more polite version, eezepeeze! :laugh:

eezepeeze said:
Well, bless her heart. This is what we say in my family when we are slightly peeved with someone but we are too polite to express it. It's code for, "oh, puh-leeeze!".

So, bless her heart.

Both of us are screwed, toadstool! I have scrunchies in various colors I've had for years. And I've even worn them in public *gasp* and will do so again when my hair's long enough. The only reason I'm familiar with the name "Kardashian" is that the checkouts in the grocery stores are stocked to the gills with tabloids. The name Kardashian made me think of Star Trek Deep Space Nine :laugh: y'know, those lizard-y looking guys?

toadstool said:
Oh well I patronisingly find her as "endearing" as she finds us. That could be taken either way.
We say "Bless." here in Wales too.
Scrunchies are "dorky and unsexy"?? Man I'm screwed, I've been saving some for when my hair grows.

And the idea of not brushing wet hair but using a wide-toothed comb is news to this supposed "beauty editor"?! Hairdressers (reputable ones, anyway) have been telling us that for years. I'm still using the wide-tooth comb that I think I bought in high school. I really don't remember - the brand name has worn off; it was probably a Goody. I sure as heck didn't pay $30 for it!

But let's not fool ourselves. "Beauty Editors," whether in print or online, are actually salespeople. Advertisers pay them to sell their products. Has nothing to do with beautifying anyone. Any more than health clubs are there to make you healthy - they're there to make money. As long as you pay your membership, they don't care if you use it or not.

aenflex
September 22nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Well, I think long hair, or healthy hair care can certainly become an obsession. It is to me at times. In fact so many members here have confessed to being additcted to this site at one time or another. There are people, myself among those ranks, who will put Monistat and MTG oil and Capsicum and whatever else on their head to make hair grow. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, this isn't afterall a crack forum or something, it's hair. But at the same time I could totally see how someone else would find the obsession creepy. But I wasn't offended...

melikai
September 22nd, 2010, 07:27 AM

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!
SO freaking hilarious :rolling:

Omg... I.. I am creepy because of my hair?

*sniffle* But... I thought I was perfectly normal.... If I were to get rid of my hair and use expensive products and stop using LHC, I would be normal then, right? *Flips tail*

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Z%20Misc%20Gallery/IMG_2456-1.jpg
So this picture is creepy....

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Z%20Misc%20Gallery/ExpensiveMermaid-1.jpg
but this one is ok! :) Notice all the expensive bottles of Nexxus I have to make sure my hair is wonderful? And I had to cut my hair to make sure it would grow!

hahahaha! Ah yes, now you are perfectly acceptable and non-creepafied. Congratulations! :p

(Yes I quoted pictures! mwhahahaa)

Medievalmaniac
September 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Meh, I don't think it was an insulting blog post...it was a blog post. They're supposed to be opinionated. She's entitled to her opinion. I happen to agree with some of it, and not to agree with some of it. I don't care if other people think I'm weird (If? IF they think I'm weird? lolol) I know I'm different from mainstream. I prefer it that way, not being much of a spa-makeup-nails-mall-beach vacation-NYT Bestselling novel-reading type. Maybe other people do find LHC "vaguely creepy". 'S'alright; I find other things vaguely creepy and even not-so-vaguely creepy. Like, tanning in tanning beds eve though it's been linked to skin cancer, or being a married mother of how-many-ever kids in your 40s and publicly obsessing like a teenaged girl over the 20-something actors in the Twilight films, or getting plastic surgery to try to look 20 when you are sixty. These are all creepy in my opinion. There are a lot of folks who think not doing them is creepy. So - yay for our gloriously colorful, diverse species! :D

HuggyBear
September 22nd, 2010, 07:38 AM
I am a little weird, but I don't really consider myself creepy. I also have not met any "creepy" people on this board, at least not yet. :) Her blog doesn't really bother me but she does come off as a bratty, product pusher who actually doesn't do any in-depth research for her article.

PrincessBob
September 22nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Wow, vaguely creepy- That's Me!
Apparently it's her,too. She seems to have done her best to condense the info she has come across on LHC as a lurker. A number of people commenting are really harsh, which makes me a little sad, even if she comes across as insensitive to some people... okay her comment re: sitting on one's hair ,taking pictures and posting them to brag was hurtful, and the one meant to terrify others about using t shirts instead of towels to dry hair... but she seem to be trying to help others learn patience about hair growth, though she makes fun of it, she still posts some sound advice regarding haircare, not meant to hurt us as a community.

My two cents can't buy much.

ETA: okay, I re-read the article instead of skimming and she is a bit of a five-letter word, oh, well, I want to believe the best of people... so maybe it is satire? Perhaps she should highlight herself on one of her own Feed your Brain/ Rot your Brain segments as a rotting option and LHC as a feeding choice.

going gray
September 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Maybe I'm "nuts" but I decided not to even read the article!

Masara
September 22nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
I don't have any problem with being wierd (creepy, I'm not so sure)

But then after reading this thread I went and posted a photo of the back of my head on the hairtoy challenge thread. As I did it I realised that maybe wearing a fork in my hair made out of a watch face could be considered as a little bit wierd by some people.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/th_22sept-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/?action=view&current=22sept-1.jpg)

pepperminttea
September 22nd, 2010, 08:29 AM
The only reason I'm familiar with the name "Kardashian" is that the checkouts in the grocery stores are stocked to the gills with tabloids. The name Kardashian made me think of Star Trek Deep Space Nine :laugh: y'know, those lizard-y looking guys?

Slightly off-topic, but you getting the Kardashians and the Cardassians confused just makes you all the more epic. :D

JamieLeigh
September 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hahaha!!! :D I shared this on facebook...proud to be a vaguely endearing creepy weirdo, if it means my hair is long and beautiful.

I loved the comments, by the way, it looks like we were well-represented. I can tell she used to be a beauty editor, because it reads just like a magazine article rather than a blog, complete with product placement! :p

cm006j
September 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Apparently, just wanting long hair is creepy and weird.

LouLaLa
September 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Pffft

Silly woman, I love how she totally ignores all the sub forums and the continued suppport offered to everyone!

I see why she has cherry picked certain things to create an "amusing" article but well what did she expect? We like long hair! There are gaming forums, cookery sites, gwyneth Paltrow created Goop, to patronise en masse for crying out loud!

Are people who go on perez hilton and buy OK magazine creepy for living vicariously through celebrity? I find that odder than taking care of myself.

Little Orca that pic with the shampoo was SO funny!

adiapalic
September 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
"...the endearing weirdos of Long Hair Community"? Terms of endearment I'm sure-- "weirdos" and "creepy" are still debasing.

ETA: "You don't have to totally convert to long-haired-loony-dom, but..." It's so fab how she just *has* to inject that entertaining hyperbole that disparages "long hair die hards" before she talks about how effective LHC methods are in keeping healthy hair. Just fab.

Vampire
September 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Who is greepy? not me :p just look at my avatar and you see the girl next door

Yozhik
September 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Oh man, judging by a comment on the blog, it's clear that people just don't get it -- I guess someone who knows the author commented and says:
"I found LHC online a while ago and I think you summed it up perfectly...Of course growing your hair out is SUPER SERIOUS and should not be approached with sarcasm, humor or any element of fun. l feel like these LHC members may come after you sour patch kid style with scissors in the night. Chop-chop."
[bolding mine]
If the main article wasn't designed specifically to insult, this comment certainly was. Furthermore, do people just not get it? The last thing an LHC member would do is come at someone with scissors in the night.

Ah, well, I agree with Medievalmaniac -- no use to get too upset over a silly blog. That last comment did rile me a bit, though.

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Yes, we are a den of weirdos! W00t! :disco:

Feng-Shui
September 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I did not read the article.

Only if someone writes the member LHC with the name Feng-Shui is vaguely creepy, it my shoe.

But I is addressed not personally and I me this shoe will not put on. Finished.

little_cherry
September 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I just thought of something...
If she had been lurking all those years, she would have definitely come across the monistat thread....so, if she tore other things to shreds, she would have definitely had a go at that...

FAIL.

I bet that she was only here for 5 minutes TOPS.

Angela_Rose
September 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Who is greepy? not me :p just look at my avatar and you see the girl next door

Won't you be, won't you be, won't you be my neighbor?

Unofficial_Rose
September 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
I don't have any problem with being wierd (creepy, I'm not so sure)

But then after reading this thread I went and posted a photo of the back of my head on the hairtoy challenge thread. As I did it I realised that maybe wearing a fork in my hair made out of a watch face could be considered as a little bit wierd by some people.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/th_22sept-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v108/masara/hair/daily%20wear/?action=view&current=22sept-1.jpg)

Sounds bloody cool to me. But then, I'm weird. ;)

wvgemini
September 22nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
I just thought of something...
If she had been lurking all those years, she would have definitely come across the monistat thread....so, if she tore other things to shreds, she would have definitely had a go at that...

FAIL.

I bet that she was only here for 5 minutes TOPS.

Hearing that MN could make your hair grow faster is what lead me here. Does that make me extra creepy?:hmm:

Siava
September 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hearing that MN could make your hair grow faster is what lead me here. Does that make me extra creepy?:hmm:

Yes. Yes it does. :p

Heidi_234
September 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
I was surprised so many LHCers bothered to comment in her blog. It gives her the attention her posts didn't really deserve. It also gives away a sense of mass cyber bullying, which I think we are better than that. :) In any case, I still enjoy sitting on my hair, since I joined LHC it became very soft and nice to sit on.

adiapalic
September 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Okay. Out of curiosity I was wondering what the author of the article is like, what else she writes.. I was thinking "Okay, she can't be so bad." So I google her name. Up comes Lemondrop, among other places she writes. Then of course comes up her FB. This was on her wall:

"Read the comments. Long haired internet community f*t*sh*sts really really hate me. But I love them, because they're so crazy and mean to me and I'm in to that. New AOL blog, holler"

Um? This is really disgusting. She is childish. If someone's writing an opinion piece on hair tips, citing a forum community with degrading remarks, they really need to understand how to handle criticism. Name-calling appears to be her game.

ETA: Maybe it's not good to post this above--maybe it's out of line. In any case, from this... I really think we need to move on from this. It's seriously not worth our time.

halo_tightens
September 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
"Read the comments. Long haired internet community f*t*sh*sts really really hate me. But I love them, because they're so crazy and mean to me and I'm in to that. New AOL blog, holler"

Um... Well, I guess I shouldn't have bothered to reply while still speechless. Wow.

Heidi_234
September 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
adiapalic, that's just silly. I'd expect for somebody out there to get insulted if I describe them in a slightly negative fashion. I could say her post was stupid, and it would be insulting. Or I could say it was endearingly stupid, and now I'm okay?

LOL.

EDIT:

But I love them, because they're so crazy and mean to me
Who's the f*t*sh*st now? :wink:

Unofficial_Rose
September 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
So basically she is one of those ultra mainstream people, who consider any music/fashion etc that isn't totally commercial to be 'weird'.

Creativity and originality are perceived as weird by some poor benighted souls. :)

princessp
September 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
You know what I thought was creepy when I first came across LHC? The back-of-the-head avatars. It was like you were all facing into the corner in the last scene of Blair Witch Project! :demon: It takes a while to get used to talking to everybody's back.

But now, what do you see to the left of my post? That's right. Creepy, I am it.

LOL I thought it was funny too! My DH also thinks it's hilarious! Actually I wasn't thinking creepy at all. In fact, the word creepy has never come to mind in conjunction with LHC, maybe smart, non-traditional, confident, informative, unique, and interesting, but never creepy. I won't be giving this blogger the satisfaction of my click she does not sound too smart, non-traditional, confident, informative, unique, or interesting ---just a little creepy.:p

Igor
September 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Will “vaguely creepy endearing weirdo” be the new cheese?

Jessica Trapp
September 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Happy to be a vaguely creepy endearing weirdo. :cheese:

:D jes

Alvrodul
September 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Okay. Out of curiosity I was wondering what the author of the article is like, what else she writes.. I was thinking "Okay, she can't be so bad." So I google her name. Up comes Lemondrop, among other places she writes. Then of course comes up her FB. This was on her wall:

Um? This is really disgusting. She is childish. If someone's writing an opinion piece on hair tips, citing a forum community with degrading remarks, they really need to understand how to handle criticism. Name-calling appears to be her game.

ETA: Maybe it's not good to post this above--maybe it's out of line. In any case, from this... I really think we need to move on from this. It's seriously not worth our time.
I completely agree that we should move on. Now, I have not bothered to read the blog post that started this thing - mainly because the comments that already at that time existed told be that I was not interested in giving that site more traffic.
And that whiny comment on her Facebook wall clinches it! :rolleyes:

As for being weird or geeky - those are badges I will wear with pride. I would probably raise an eyebrow at "creepy", but in this case I think it should be considered a mark of distinction. :twisted:

TrudieCat
September 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Geez, what is this, middle school? She's badmouthing LHC on facebook? Isn't that the favorite technique of teenage Queen Bees (how much does the use of that phrase date me :rolleyes:)? This must be a new way for her to drum up more traffic for her blog. Weird.

I didn't like the "blog" because, as many have said, it wasn't a blog or an opinion piece. It was an advertisement with snarky commentary as its hook. It wasn't interesting writing. :shrug: But frankly these days I expect that from a lot of mainstream pop media sources, especially those that deal in gossip, fashion, and (most importantly) advertising. I wasn't going to get too too upset about it, though I thought it was, uh, vaguely insulting and demeaning.

But now I'm just grossed out. She's taking the Gawker/reality TV angle by delivering the snark on facebook as a way to advertise herself. Ugh.

eri401
September 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
To be honest, all special "hobby" forums can seem a bit creepy to others :)
I admit to keeping my membership here a secret from those who would shudder at the thought of oiling hair on purpose or CO washes!

Merewen
September 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM

Oh, I hope so. It's the best thing I've seen come out of this conversation. (Except maybe that banner. D'you suppose DH would mind that hanging on the wall?)

Jessica Trapp
September 22nd, 2010, 03:01 PM

hehe (^(oo)~)

Me too! What a relief to get that one off the list.

:D:D:D:D:D

Nevada Rose
September 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Just for my creep record, I don't sit on my hair because it pulls if I do. Yet I love pictures taken of my hair..........,now that's cree-pay.

LittleOrca
September 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Just for my creep record, I don't sit on my hair because it pulls if I do. Yet I love pictures taken of my hair..........,now that's cree-pay.

I totally read cree-pay as crepe.... I was excited... then disappointed. :(

slz
September 22nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I personally think the "OMG I gottablog Im so witty !!§§!" thing got old after two minutes, and those two minutes were like 5 years ago :rolleyes: .

Anniekins
September 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe there is something wrong with me but I found the article funny. And I needed a laugh today too :)

Anne

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM

LOL

:cheese:

Wicked Princess
September 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

This totally made my afternoon. People are wondering what the weird girl in the corner of the cafe is laughing about. But now I'm hungry for a vaguely endearing crepe. :o

Irnann
September 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I don't get the point.

Where is the different between taking care for the body in a healthy way and taking care for the hair?

But for me its ok to call me a creepy person...actually I am creepy and eccentric :-)

ravenreed
September 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
She lost any sympathy I had for her when she said we were hating on her. If that is her idea of hating, she needs to have a real live. I am moving on. Not even vaguely interesting enough to work up a mild annoyance over.

30isthenewblack
September 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM

I agree. She obviously wanted to stir up some controversy to get traffic for her blog. Quite sad really.

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Eh I didn't read her blog but it is most likely misunderstandings on both sides.

my2cats1
September 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Just think about all the LHC pearls of wisdom that are now becoming mainstream....the non-sulfate trend, for example......I recall a mainstream fashion mag talking about satin pillowcases and seamless ponytail holders recently....LHC isn't creepy, it's just ahead of its time!

JenniferNoel
September 22nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
People are wondering what the weird girl in the corner of the cafe is laughing about. But now I'm hungry for a vaguely endearing crepe. :o

I thought I was the only one that accessed LHC in the cafe. What a relief!
*contemplates finding a crepe*

Copasetic
September 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Just think about all the LHC pearls of wisdom that are now becoming mainstream....the non-sulfate trend, for example......I recall a mainstream fashion mag talking about satin pillowcases and seamless ponytail holders recently....LHC isn't creepy, it's just ahead of its time!

You're so right! There have been a few times in recent months where I have read about oiling, or the conditioner-only method in a mainstream magazine. Part of is always surprised that these things are new to a lot of people :p

JenniferNoel
September 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Part of is always surprised that these things are new to a lot of people :p

Ditto. I admit to using a waxy oil blend to slick back my buns on a daily basis, and when people ask how I get them to look so polished, I tell 'em straight up and they just look at me as if I'm a rotting snail corpse. :p
I think it's mutual though; I find it a little uncomfortable that people put so many strange, toxic chemicals on their hair and scalp regularly. It takes two to tango here.

kabelaced
September 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM
That kind of offends me a little bit that this "beauty editor" called the forum creepy...what about it is creepy? The super-duper nice, supportive members? When are we sitting ON our hair? Grow up, that just sounds so much like high school clique gossip. We are a forum of people who share an interest, and having long hair isn't a creepy interest! ><

little_cherry
September 22nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
HAHAHA I totally got the image of a wrapped piece of cheese with "vaguely creepy endearing weirdo" on the label.

:D

Put these two together: Mmm...cheesy crepes! I know what's for dinner tomorrow! ;)

:cheese:vaguely creepy endearing weirdo:cheese:vaguely creepy endearing weirdo:cheese:

wvgemini
September 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Ditto. I admit to using a waxy oil blend to slick back my buns on a daily basis, and when people ask how I get them to look so polished, I tell 'em straight up and they just look at me as if I'm a rotting snail corpse. :p
I think it's mutual though; I find it a little uncomfortable that people put so many strange, toxic chemicals on their hair and scalp regularly. It takes two to tango here.

I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that. Oh geez! :lol:

Honestly, she just seems very full of herself.

MandyBeth
September 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Aww, I :love: my DF! He got this blog sent to him as a friend knew I visited here. He told me I get to be the enduring weirdo if he gets to be vaguely creepy. WUV him!

Amraann
September 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Aww, I :love: my DF! He got this blog sent to him as a friend knew I visited here. He told me I get to be the enduring weirdo if he gets to be vaguely creepy. WUV him!

Aww that is cute:)

Really I did not like that she was inaccurate in her advice. Then to go whining on FB that we hate her?

Chick maybe needs a life beyond her blog.

I think we all know that writers of any kind with any integrity would strive to be more accurate in their articles.

*Mod edit: Closing the thread to avoid board wars.

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I just stumbled across a page on the good ol' web that hurt my feelings abit. Its about how to grow long, beautiful hair, and the author claims to be obsessed with the LHC. However, she appears to describe us as 'bragging' and 'vaguely creepy' before giving her own version of LHC care advice. Am I being oversensitive or is this abit tactless?:rolleyes:
I do get disproportionately irked when long hair is described as creepy though. How? What is creepy about it? Just HOW?!?
Anyway, here it is. Its 2010 so you all may well have already discussed this, so apologies in advance.
http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/20/how-to-grow-long-healthy-hair-beauty-editor-secrets/
Theres an archive thread on this
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-56047.html
But Id still love to know if anyone finds it hurtful and insulting, or if youre just glad of the shout out and half-decent hair advice!

auburntressed
March 11th, 2012, 01:32 AM
To me, sounds like she feels a compulsion to apologize for liking long hair. She appears to be "into" the fashion industry, so she knows that that segment of society would probably view us as unbalanced or "weird." Therefore, to reach her intended audience, she has to make it very clear to them that although we have good advice, she is NOT one of us! Oh no... they are not taking advice from any creepy long-haired person. Nope. She is the height of trendiness and fashion.

That's how the entire article came across to me, pretty much.

sfgirl
March 11th, 2012, 01:33 AM
People think any kind of fan/hobby site is creepy. I stayed away from stuff I now LOVE like, DnD, and manga, because people gave it a bad rep. Yes, most of us do brag here. But it's because we work so hard for it. Just like girls "brag" about their hair makeup, and whatnot on tumblr. Ugh, though I noticed a lot of LHC member commenting on it. :)

darkrose
March 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Personly, that is offensive. Bragging? I don't think so, people just want advice how they can improve there hair therefore they post pics, or use the pics to help others. E.g how to do a complicated bun. It has good hair advice, but it is insulting.

LittleOrca
March 11th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I think this was the topic of a thread some time ago. We decided that we were "Vaguely creepy endearing weirdos" and wore that name with pride. :)

DancingQueen
March 11th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I don't think we are vaguely creepy, and I don't really feel hurt. I know that some people just don't understand this way of thinking, and that is okay with me. I don't force them to do my routines, and they don't force me to do theirs.

However, I do understand why some people might think we are a bit fanatic. I started on this site because I wanted my hair long, and because there was a lot of very interesting ways here. I would probably be lying if I wasn't a bit overwhelmed by some of the posts here, but as I got more and more into growing my own hair, I started understanding it, as I had those up and downs myself.

Of course, I don't know the person who wrote this article. But if I were to guess, I would think she is actually trying to cover up this fascination, so that her readers will listen to her. Because let's face it: the methods here are pretty different from the rest of the world, especially if you are a beauty-slave who have to do all the right things to feel you fit in (I don't mean to offend anyone, but some people do that). Also because a lot of the things are very time-consuming, and doesn't really fit with the 'normal' way of thinking. Which is in no way a bad thing.

I guess what I like about this site is that I have someone to share progress with, someone who understands my interest for long hair. And lots of inspiration and motivation, with al the pictures of gorgeous long hair. Plus, I am always open for new ways to do things. :)

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Hmmmpf. I just think shes being a tad hurtful in the sense that she will use the site for info that she then dishes out to the masses, but tries her best to distance herself from us. Harsh! I love the answers here, I agree that we must use the title with pride;)
Vaguely creepy but endearing are we!!:D

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I just stumbled across a page on the good ol' web that hurt my feelings abit. Its about how to grow long, beautiful hair, and the author claims to be obsessed with the LHC. However, she appears to describe us as 'bragging' and 'vaguely creepy' before giving her own version of LHC care advice.

Off course we are bragging, and why should we not? We all work hard on our hair to get it long and beautiful, why should we not be proud about it and brag about it a bit? Especially on a forum with other people of like mind, there is nothing wrong about that.

Am I being oversensitive or is this abit tactless?
I do get disproportionately irked when long hair is described as creepy though. How? What is creepy about it? Just HOW?!?

Off course she is tactless, I am not vaguely creepy, I try to be completely creepy all the time. But honestly though I do not get what is creepy about long hair. Perhaps she is thinking about the girl from the Grudge and think we all are magic using spirits of murdered teenagers who live in our own little wells complete with laptops and internet connections, luxury wells if you like. :P

Beckstar
March 11th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Hmmmm. 'I made tailbone length,' is bragging? How about it's sharing so we can all celebrate togther. It is LHC not let's all get together and make pb & j sandwiches. This site is more than just hair. It teaches tolerance, patience, respect, learning to get along even though we're all diferent colors, religious, lives 1000s of miles apart. Not everyone on this site has long hair. Why not mention all the non-hear stuff? Hmmm...games, parenting, pet owners, etc. That is surely the bane of all vanities! I just want to get on the rooftops and yelled, "Fluffy pooped in the catbox together. It had a certain smell, not quite putrid but not like potpurri. Go Fluffy. Oh F-L-U-F-F-Y you're so fine you blow my mind. Go Fluffy." Yep, that's not creepy or but sharing a common goal is.

Safira
March 11th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I love beeing creepy, and weirdo.

:draw:
Be afraid, I´m armed with my hair. :pins:

coldclarity
March 11th, 2012, 03:51 AM
The woman who wrote it is now writing at http://www.xojane.com/author/cat and that really affected my opinion. She's just... like that. I read it as light hearted and just a bit stupid and shallow.

I am totally a 'vaguely creepy endearing weirdo', and not just about hair :D

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 04:18 AM
The problem ladies (and gentlemen) is that the word bragging have become so negative. To want to show off something we are proud of is seen as wrong, to be pleased with oneself is seen as wrong. I remember when I was a little girl and we did finger painting in the kinder garden. I made a very nice picture four a four year old, and even then I could see that it was far better than I had ever done before. "What a nice picture you have drawn" one of the teachers said. "Yes." I said "I think so to." And then I was yelled at for bragging. Now I call ******** on that. We should all brag a little more, dare to show off and be proud of ourselves, we do not need to hang with our heads and never say anything positive about ourselves.

Be afraid, I´m armed with my hair.

That is what Bayonetta says to. :P Ten geek points to you if you catch the reference. :D

Ishje
March 11th, 2012, 04:34 AM
The problem ladies (and gentlemen) is that the word bragging have become so negative. To want to show off something we are proud of is seen as wrong, to be pleased with oneself is seen as wrong. I remember when I was a little girl and we did finger painting in the kinder garden. I made a very nice picture four a four year old, and even then I could see that it was far better than I had ever done before. "What a nice picture you have drawn" one of the teachers said. "Yes." I said "I think so to." And then I was yelled at for bragging. Now I call ******** on that. We should all brag a little more, dare to show off and be proud of ourselves, we do not need to hang with our heads and never say anything positive about ourselves.

oh yes, I completely agree! there is nothing wrong with being proud on yourself, and bragging about it a bit!

what bothers me more is that she apparently used this site for her article, but then is a bit mean about the users.
I just don't think people here are creepy :S

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM
The woman lack manners, if you are going to use a site for an article or a blog then you should credit them nicely, and if you use someone's direct advice you should credit them and preferably ask their permission to use that advice as well.

Moominmamma
March 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I only skimmed the article, from what I read the author wants to make sure that her readers continue to see her as hip and cool, and she doesn't see that as being synonymous with the long hair community so she makes sure to poke fun at it while utilising all the information here.

I don't see what is vaguely creepy about the long hair community ( I love the way I sound like I know something about this, I only found you two weeks ago:D)....I think it's interestingly counter-cultural/eco friendly but then maybe that is because I am slightly endearingly weird :)

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Come on guys.
You know we're at least vaguely creepy.
Moontrims?
Stinky goopy chunky henna?
Epic battles over Tangle Teezers and Silicone?
Rage over slight changes to shampoo recipes (requires regular reading of tiny labels and memorizing the names and properties of various chemicals)
Sitting around like OCD headcases cutting each individual split end off?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

We are a crazy bunch of weirdos. Embrace it.

Lissandria
March 11th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
Rage over slight changes to shampoo recipes (requires regular reading of tiny labels and memorizing the names and properties of various chemicals)
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

Welllll...

When you put it that way...

:p

SwordWomanRiona
March 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM
It is hurtful and insulting! What's with that patronizing phrase "the endearing weirdos of LHC"?! Why's it creepy to have long hair and show length shots? There's a difference between "bragging/showing off" and liking to have long hair, and taking pride in it sometimes, too! Doesn't she take pride in her own? Doesn't she reel off about haircare tips like we do here? Why is it different for her? Doesn't she consider herself a 'creepy weirdo' because she's growing her hair, posting pics of it and talking about haircare? Double standart, eh?

SwordWomanRiona
March 11th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

All right, we're "hair-geeks" :D, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Of course, we don't mean it as a bad thing here, when we say jokingly that we are 'weirdos', but many people do! Nowadays, when you do something that isn't considered normal, what the majority of people do, you're a weirdo, and that isn't a compliment. A sad proof of the utter narrow-mindedness and prejudices of society. Ans a despicable attitude, imo :(. Why not live and let live?

DancingQueen
March 11th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

... Can I use this quote? It is genius! :D

Othala
March 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM
There's nothing vague about it. We are totally creepy.:D

SwordWomanRiona
March 11th, 2012, 05:46 AM
People think any kind of fan/hobby site is creepy. I stayed away from stuff I now LOVE like, DnD, and manga, because people gave it a bad rep. Yes, most of us do brag here. But it's because we work so hard for it. Just like girls "brag" about their hair makeup, and whatnot on tumblr. Ugh, though I noticed a lot of LHC member commenting on it. :)

So true! Unless your hobbies include relentless drinking and patriarchal flirting, in my area everything else is geeky and creepy :mad:.

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 05:46 AM
All right, we're "hair-geeks" :D, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Of course, we don't mean it as a bad thing here, when we say jokingly that we are 'weirdos', but many people do! Nowadays, when you do something that isn't considered normal, what the majority of people do, you're a weirdo, and that isn't a compliment. A sad proof of the utter narrow-mindedness and prejudices of society. Ans a despicable attitude, imo :(. Why not live and let live?

Well, I don't know if she really meant it in a bad way! She certainly could have said it better, but I really think she didn't mean any harm. I'm perfectly happy with the term endearing weirdo, it's sort of what I aim to be in life. Being normal is boring. I like exploring and weird science experiments and using myself as a guinea pig! I'm really not offended when someone calls me out on my weirdness, unless I can tell very specifically that they're trying to be mean about it.

... Can I use this quote? It is genius! :D
Go for it ;)

whitedove
March 11th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

Geniuses are always seen as weird and eccentric. So perhaps we could take it as a compliment and wave through the monkey bars as all the visitors who come to gawp.

Neneka
March 11th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Yes, we are all weird and I admit that I am totally creepy. :p And I would like everyone to keep bragging about their hair and awesome hair toys. :D

didrash
March 11th, 2012, 06:59 AM
No, we are not! We are a bit different then the current mainstream, but creepy as a word implies danger and disgust, and we are neither dangerous nor disgusting. We are cool :)!

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I don't think we are vaguely creepy we are just focused on your hair and set goals as to where we want it to grow. Its the same thing for any type of goal.

Curly Hermione
March 11th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I think we probably are a little weird...but it's really quite impolite of her to say so! Weird doesn't mean bad, i'll happily admit to being a weirdo, and me and my friends joke around and call each other weirdos all the time, but it's all in good fun. She seems to be using it in a negative context, which is really quite rude of her.
Using our information to help her write an article is fine, and I'm glad that she's managed to write something with useful information, but then poking fun at us so that people don't think she's "one of us" after she's used our info is pretty nasty of her. I'm all for educating people about good haircare, but not when she's almost ridiculing the source of her info.

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Shes just dragged up an unfavourable memory. Shes like that hip girl in your class when you were 8, who was your very best friend (when nobody was looking:rolleyes:), stole your hairstyle and then belittled and mocked you infront of the other cool kids. Man I have issues:D

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Shes just dragged up an unfavourable memory. Shes like that hip girl in your class when you were 8, who was your very best friend (when nobody was looking:rolleyes:), stole your hairstyle and then belittled and mocked you infront of the other cool kids. Man I have issues:D

Of the Fae
March 11th, 2012, 07:22 AM
She's just ashamed for loving vaguely creepy epic hair lovers ;)
It's more of a disclaimer for herself than it is an insult. Furthermore, she is also impressed by the amount of knowledge on the site, so yeah, laugh about it, it's just a way of saying: "I'm not one of them", when she actually feels she might be :P

MonaLisa
March 11th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

Loving it!!! :crush:

However, it's true - and most non -LHC people would be weirded out by all this stuff...but someone who shares our interests suddenly thinks she's better than us and publicly insults, yet used all the info from here for her little article..I must say it's lame! :patrol:

melusine963
March 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

I have no desire to read the article, but this made me laugh. I'm glad this site exists because I can use it to ask all my questions and indulge myself without boring my real-life friends (or creeping them out :) ).

bumblebums
March 11th, 2012, 08:33 AM
This was indeed discussed in a long thread that was eventually closed for getting too... well, see for yourselves (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56047&page=19).

Seeshami
March 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
That's a horrible way to describe us.......

Yes sometimes we can be a little strange but we're a very large group of encouraging people for the most part that watch out, help and care about each other. If she's obsessed with LHC and it's creepy what's that make her?

terpentyna
March 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I don't think creepiness is the word. Seriously, it may be strange, but creepy?

Besides, like someone mentioned, she's just being patronizing. Like, her idea of beauty is so balanced, she's this objective beauty guru, unlike those who obsess over one thing and neglect another.

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

Well said and how right you are :D

Sammich
March 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yay I was in the first thread! :D

But yeah, we ARE strange and weird. ;) *Shrug*

We're good at what we do though. :D

EdG
March 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I read the article this time around.

I don't think we're "creepy" at all. We collectively have a great deal of technical knowledge about hair care. If applied to scientific or technical fields, this trait would be described as "nerdy" or "geeky" by the layman.

"I've been obsessed with Long Hair Community -- the vaguely creepy site for people who like to take photos of themselves sitting on their long, long hair, then post them on the Internet to brag about it -- for years."

I do object to being characterized as bragging. On the contrary, we are extremely modest. In fact, we don't need to say a word because our hair is positively screaming. ;)
Ed

Kinkycurlygurl
March 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Okay you got me, I'm following all of those threads in addition to the Wiccan hair care thread. I can see how a hair muggle could find it all vaguely creepie. :D

Come on guys.
Moontrims?
MONISTAT?
SEBUM ONLY?

xoxophelia
March 11th, 2012, 09:23 AM
There's nothing vague about it. We are totally creepy.:D

heh heh.. :twisted:

Wasn't there also some post about us being obsessed with cats? I don't have one to take photos with so you all need to pick up my slack.

Darkessa
March 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
While her article can be educational... I thought some of it was harsh and unnecessary.
I DID NOT like that she said Creepy, Weirdo... etc.
That just doesn't make sense, and its hurtful.

I hope she reads these forums about her article...

MasCat
March 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Vaguely? There's nothing vague about my creepiness (throws hair oer face and starts making strange sounds like the child from "The Grudge" :>)

Yep, a typical example of "look! I'm trendy! Like me! I'm popular. I've been to the nerdy place, but I am not a nerd! Oh noooo, not a nerd. Not a tad geekish! Smart enough to read a bit, but if I read a lot I might be less popular, and I wouldn't like that!"

The girl is contradicting herself. Anyone with no less than two brain cells will notice that. Anyone with at least 5 will probably go to this whole "vaguely creepy" site to see what it is... you know, the temptation of the forbidden hairy fruit :)

Go hair-nerds!

terpentyna
March 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
<snip> hairy fruit :)

Strange visual of a blonde pear I had right there.

Hm, well, they do call it peach fuzz...

silverstars
March 11th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I don't truly mind being called vaguely creepy, but it was the tone of the woman writing the article that was a little offensive to me. I am weird and proud of it :)

Madora
March 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM
She's "obsessed" about the LHC, all right, but not in a positive way.

She derides methods that have been tested by members and that have been proven to work.

She thinks it odd that some of us like to use t-shirts when drying our hair, like to "brag" about our success and post pictures, believe that straightening is not good for growing long, beautiful hair.

It's as if she thinks LHC is a gold mind of "vaguely creepy" individuals who use strange methods to care for their hair. Ya know, (in my best sarcastic manner "Why rely on something you can find in your kitchen when you can just go out and buy a jar of Miss Griselda's hair balm..which is GUARANTEED to give you the same results! She doesn't mention that Miss Griselda's product will set you back at least $15.00!"

I found the article condescending..in the worst possible way.

I am proud to be a member of this august community!

DarkSky
March 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I notice in society that those that have no passion or strong interests in a particular subject are considered normal and acceptable otherwise they are weird, geeks etc. IMO If they want to go about their lives having no interests then so be it... have great fun with that! It's a real shame actually and I do feel sorry for them. Sorry for the rant!

holothuroidea
March 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
It never crossed my mind that we are creepy or weird, but I guess I could see that we might be perceived that way. To me this feels like a community of people who are all on a long, boring, lonely journey and we just want to share our experiences and have some conversation along the way. I do think that some of the things that Arya pointed out could be thought of as slightly creepy, in that they are unusual.

In all honesty, though, if anyone's weird it's someone who "obsesses" over something they find creepy and then proceed to simultaneously exalt and deride it. That article was exhausting to read- way too many contradictions and insults.

Wasn't there also some post about us being obsessed with cats? I don't have one to take photos with so you all need to pick up my slack.

Well let's be real here, the entire internet is obsessed with cats. Why single us out? :laugh:

trolleypup
March 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Moderator Note:

The previous thread on this subject was closed for promoting "forum wars", please try to avoid stirring up trouble elsewhere that can reflect on TLHC.

There have always been more or less unfavorable references to TLHC out there on the internet...whether from ignorance, bias, self-justification or even active malice. Let them stand by their own words...we should do the same.

Amber_Maiden
March 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yep, I can say I'm a bit creepy about my hair... obsessive, yes. But do I find it insulting that someone is smearing the members of LHC- the people who basically gave the information for her article? Yes. I find that disgusting.

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I just plain don't care what other people think about hair, although I do appreciate a sincere compliment.

Sillage
March 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/1b5kE.gif

I can't.

Piyo
March 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I don't really care what she thinks, but she could be a little kinder to the website she has gathered her information from for years. She seems like the type who'd be embarrassed admitting something she liked just because other people didn't think it was trendy/cool.

from the article:

for people who like to take photos of themselves sitting on their long, long hair, then post them on the Internet to brag about it -- for years.

I don't know, that just seems mean spirited, especially because these are the people she got her material from.

einna
March 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I was a little offended, but at least good hair advice is getting "out there", and I agree with Venefica, we should all brag a little bit more. :)

Safira
March 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
That is what Bayonetta says to. :P Ten geek points to you if you catch the reference. :D

Oooh, I found my hairguru. Now I´m Bayonetta-fan, what a lady, and her hair really kicks ass.
(and talk about bare-backs :D:D)

lapushka
March 11th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Ways to writing a successful article. Find a good source of information: check. Insult the source of information so as to give yourself a superior stance: check.

mzBANGBANG
March 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I wasn't offended. Everyone has their own "gimmick." Considering I've never heard of her before this day I don't see it as actually affecting me.

Valorie
March 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Personally, I could care less.
It looks as though she is really reaching for interesting subject material (and doesn't care whether it's true or not) just to get an audience to read a blog.

SunlightShines
March 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
As my son would say...Her attempt at humour was an "Epic Fail."

busnutmedic
March 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I think it reflects on the author more than the people here.

:Shrug: Doesn't bother me a bit. Lots of people think I'm weird already.

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Moderator Note:

The previous thread on this subject was closed for promoting "forum wars", please try to avoid stirring up trouble elsewhere that can reflect on TLHC.

There have always been more or less unfavorable references to TLHC out there on the internet...whether from ignorance, bias, self-justification or even active malice. Let them stand by their own words...we should do the same.
Whoa! Im sorry if I have inadvertantly re-opened a can of worms :( The story behind it is that my Bookmark thing on the toolbar isnt working, so I googled 'long Hair Community' to get here. The first result was obviously LHC site, the second was this womans...erm...article, blog, site whatever it was. It piqued my interest, and I thought Id start a thread to see how others viewed it. I never considered that it would cause any trouble, and I sincerely hope it doesnt. Why oh why does controversy follow little old inoffensive me? Waaaaah!:violin:

HintOfMint
March 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I thought the most ridiculous part of the article was saying how she spent years on this site, but then proceeded to hawk obscenely expensive products. Has she been here? Is she blind?? The big splurges that are most common on this site are hair toys. Every once in a while someone will use Pureology, Joico, or Redken and the like. But most often, you have drugstore products, some mid-range organic products, henna and whatever is in our kitchen (seriously, sooooooo many food products!!!!)

And any site that caters to a very specific interest or hobby is going to be a little obsessive. If she even hopped over to the off topic forums she would see that plenty of members actually have lives, problems and triumphs outside of hair.

I understand the sheepishness because this site does have its own culture that takes getting used to, but she threw her source under the bus. Not cool, no bueno.

BeccaAngel
March 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
It does seem a little rude and blunt in some parts but I'm a proud LHC person and weird person! (Not saying people are weird on here, I'm saying I am one of the weird ones lol but in a good way) So I really Don't take offense to it but that's because I rarely take offense to people's words. I'd say ignore the rude comments and maybe look at the hair growing advice (If you feel the need to do so). I'm always looking for new advice or updates on something I already know. :)

cwarren
March 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I notice in society that those that have no passion or strong interests in a particular subject are considered normal and acceptable otherwise they are weird, geeks etc. IMO If they want to go about their lives having no interests then so be it... have great fun with that! It's a real shame actually and I do feel sorry for them. Sorry for the rant!

:applause

Agreed.

I'd rather be considered "vaguely creepy" for being passionate about something than be considered "normal" and have no strong interest in anything.

I just find it kind of sad that she belittles her own interests :rolleyes:

PixxieStix
March 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ways to writing a successful article. Find a good source of information: check. Insult the source of information so as to give yourself a superior stance: check.

That pretty much sums up what I got out of the whole thing. She is entitled to her opinion of us, but we are equally entitled to completely ignore it. While her article was mildly offensive towards the community as a whole, it may have lead a lot of people here who genuinely are interested in long hair care, so that could be a positive twist to this.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm a henna loving, wash stretching, hair oiling, non heat using hair obsessed geek and proud of it! :D :D :D I love our community here, and truly think it's one of the best places on the internet.

As for bragging, you better believe that every milestone reached, every hair that I baby that makes it longer and longer, will be bragged about shamelessly by yours truly, because like the rest of you, I'll have worked hard for it and will not be ashamed to flaunt it!

Tisiloves
March 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I object to vaguely creepy. Personally I aim for downright disturbing.