PDA

View Full Version : LHC members are vaguely creepy! (2010 article) [Epic thread]

Pages : 1 [2]

CurlyCap
March 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Yep. We're creepy.

We care waaaaay too much about something that most people don't even like (long, natural hair).

But I LOVE it. I'll KEEP doing it. Nah nah nah. ::tosses her longer hair over her shoulder:: :D

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
That pretty much sums up what I got out of the whole thing. She is entitled to her opinion of us, but we are equally entitled to completely ignore it. While her article was mildly offensive towards the community as a whole, it may have lead a lot of people here who genuinely are interested in long hair care, so that could be a positive twist to this.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm a henna loving, wash stretching, hair oiling, non heat using hair obsessed geek and proud of it! :D :D :D I love our community here, and truly think it's one of the best places on the internet.

As for bragging, you better believe that every milestone reached, every hair that I baby that makes it longer and longer, will be bragged about shamelessly by yours truly, because like the rest of you, I'll have worked hard for it and will not be ashamed to flaunt it!

:cheer: Yay to that!!

trillcat
March 11th, 2012, 03:07 PM
OP you didnt open a can of worms, this can has been opened, the worms are now in charge, all your bases belong to us.
Seriously, OK not so much, I had my sig line as "The few, the proud, the vaguely creepy" for quite some time, took the edge off my growing my toenails to bizarre lengths. :D

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Funny thing about that article is I JUST read it about a week before joining here at LHC!! I had been lurking around at LHC for a little while but still googled a lot of stuff about long hair and stumbled across that article and even I, although not even a member at the time, was offended!

To me, she sounded as though she never really took the time to read things around here and from my best guess may not have even been an member. There were a lot of comments on that article if I remember correctly, many from people here at LHC defending the reputation of this site and our members. It was a poor choice of words, perhaps she didn't mean it the way it sounded :rolleyes: but I for sure don't think having or desiring long hair is creepy on any level!

woolyleprechaun
March 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
OP you didnt open a can of worms, this can has been opened, the worms are now in charge, all your bases belong to us.
Seriously, OK not so much, I had my sig line as "The few, the proud, the vaguely creepy" for quite some time, took the edge off my growing my toenails to bizarre lengths. :D
I discovered the can lying empty and the worms running amock shortly after starting the thread, hence adding the link to the archives :) I suppose now its in the past we can have a calmer discussion about it, and admire your toenails and the specialy modified shoes you no doubt house them in ;) I do love your current siggy, it calls up many surreal mental images :p

Funny thing about that article is I JUST read it about a week before joining here at LHC!! I had been lurking around at LHC for a little while but still googled a lot of stuff about long hair and stumbled across that article and even I, although not even a member at the time, was offended!

To me, she sounded as though she never really took the time to read things around here and from my best guess may not have even been an member. There were a lot of comments on that article if I remember correctly, many from people here at LHC defending the reputation of this site and our members. It was a poor choice of words, perhaps she didn't mean it the way it sounded :rolleyes: but I for sure don't think having or desiring long hair is creepy on any level!
I agree. Its each to their own, isnt it? I do think that she may have inadvertantly driven alot of traffic here with the name dropping....swings and roundabouts, eh? :)

PrincessBob
March 11th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I remember this from an old thread that had been closed for not being knit. I am a vaguely creepy, endearing weirdo without my hair obsession...

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I suppose now its in the past we can have a calmer discussion about it, and admire your toenails and the specialy modified shoes you no doubt house them in ;) I do love your current siggy, it calls up many surreal mental images :p

This right here made my day XD

CaityBear
March 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I don't know...I guess what she said or how she said it does sound insulting...but I'm not one to be insulted easily. As a community, I guess a lot of us have taken the "vaguely creepy" thing to be a compliment anyway. :P I don't know. If I let stuff easily bother me then sure I'd be bothered but I honestly don't really care what other people say or in particular, what this one person said. I love this community and I don't think we are truly creepy but, hey, we always talk about cheese and that seems to be a big part of our community and this just means we're now vaguely creepy cheese lovers. :P

I will say we are not completely normal. We are weird but I don't think that's bad. :P It's what I love most about this community. It's like the misfits community, for those that don't fit anywhere else.

Beckstar
March 11th, 2012, 05:12 PM
What's so creepy about saying good morning to your hair and asking it what it wants for breakfast? Or apologizing to it when you accidental pull. Doesn't everyone have memorial ceremonies for broke hair or splintends they snip off? So what if I cremate my hair after receive significant cuts and asking for time off while I grieve for it's loss. Isn't that normal?

Sushi144
March 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Come on guys.
You know we're at least vaguely creepy.
[...]
Epic battles over Tangle Teezers and Silicone?
[...]

Not worse than Mac vs PC. Or Superman vs. Spiderman.
Yeah my references are terrible. I'm a geek. And probably a bit creepy. :D

(Still, this woman seriously misses manners.)

Beckstar
March 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
By ze way: I changed my avitar to what I think is creepy to celebrate our unique-osity! Mabye we all should and then ask her to visit us for a bit!!

Zombie prom queens, some characters from Rocky Horror, and various Halloween themed pictures!!

:tmi: or :applause?

sibiryachka
March 11th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I object to vaguely creepy. Personally I aim for downright disturbing.

:applause

I'm also 100% fine with being considered an endearing weirdo. That's pretty much my normal.

IIRC from back when this first went around, the specific thing the author described as "vaguely creepy" is all the back-of-the-head pictures. And I recall thinking, "Yeah, for a person just taking a first look, there could be a certain Blair Witch Project quality to those."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tTdhv2jxMx0/TfjesSikf3I/AAAAAAAAAU0/jKpHWYoXWdI/s1600/scariest+scene+ever.jpg

...Which is why my profile pic is of something other than the back of my head.

swearnsue
March 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I guess she thinks we are creepy but she visits our site often by how much she knows about the site! I don't mind, I don't feel insulted but maybe just a little misunderstood. If she called us/me obsessed then she would be more correct IMO.

teal
March 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM
What's insulting isn't that she think's we're weird or creepy (after all, we all know someone who's a little different), but that she takes our collective wisdom, uses/promotes/hawks it and then puts us down as though we're not worthy of being advisers in the first place. That's not too far off biting the hand that feeds.

She already makes herself look silly: of course all of the "40 million hair experts and stylists" are going to tell her that you "must" cut your hair to grow it long. That's how they make their living. Surely not a single one of them has suggested that she just leave her hair alone. I'd like to see it magically stop growing then.

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Not worse than Mac vs PC. Or Superman vs. Spiderman.
Yeah my references are terrible. I'm a geek. And probably a bit creepy. :D

(Still, this woman seriously misses manners.)
OK fair. But sebum only, monistat on the head and split end hunting would make any psychiatrist raise a brow at you.

:applause

I'm also 100% fine with being considered an endearing weirdo. That's pretty much my normal.

IIRC from back when this first went around, the specific thing the author described as "vaguely creepy" is all the back-of-the-head pictures. And I recall thinking, "Yeah, for a person just taking a first look, there could be a certain Blair Witch Project quality to those."
...Which is why my profile pic is of something other than the back of my head.
TBH I find it creepy too. And also really hard to tell people apart, ESPECIALLY if they're in the habit of updating their pictures regularly, or don't have a distinctive signature to set them apart from all the other dark brown nautiluses.

What's insulting isn't that she think's we're weird or creepy (after all, we all know someone who's a little different), but that she takes our collective wisdom, uses/promotes/hawks it and then puts us down as though we're not worthy of being advisers in the first place. That's not too far off biting the hand that feeds.

She already makes herself look silly: of course all of the "40 million hair experts and stylists" are going to tell her that you "must" cut your hair to grow it long. That's how they make their living. Surely not a single one of them has suggested that she just leave her hair alone. I'd like to see it magically stop growing then.

Agreed. I was actually more offended by her misrepresentation of our advice to peddle products. BB , satin pillowcases and hair screws aside, No one's advocating expensive products or running around telling people to cut their healthy hair to grow it longer, the advice is to cut out damaging behaviours to prevent damage. Hell, if anything we're telling people what products to AVOID, and advocating gentle kitchen "products" instead.

Venefica
March 12th, 2012, 12:51 AM
What I am wondering is why so many people would immediately assume that something different is bad. I mean yes some of the members of this forum do things I do not do. I do not have a satin pillowcase, I do not cover my hair in cold or sun and so on and so on. But everyone have things that work for them. And how is it more strange to go searching for split ends or have a satin pillowcase and so on, than it is to spend 300 dollars on a skin cream or have poison put into one's skin to take care of wrinkles. When we say weird we mean not similar to what we do, the ptoblem is that some that that not what I do means negative.

holland16
March 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I find it more than "vaguely creepy" when I think of all the trauma I put my hair through while thinking I was taking good care of it & that this is the norm. As is the viscous cycle of chemical damage + chemical laden products to address the damage etc. I, though not a stylist, thought I had become hair savvy from my years of working in a salon. I couldn't have been more wrong.
So in this case being labeled "vaguely creepy" should be a compliment as it distinguishes LHCs from the norm. Im sure organic gardening forums and their pics of plants and veggies wouldn't be called creepy & it's seems to me this is like gardening for hair :)

HairFaerie
March 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I know I am more than "vaguely" creepy, so I am not offended at all.

Georgies
March 12th, 2012, 04:41 PM
aack, now that I have this mental image associated with our back of the head shots I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to get it out again...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tTdhv2jxMx0/TfjesSikf3I/AAAAAAAAAU0/jKpHWYoXWdI/s1600/scariest+scene+ever.jpg

Macaroni
March 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I think it's vaguely creepy that she thinks we're vaguely creepy. She obviously has taken good information from this site, so why be snide?

racrane
March 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I get annoyed with writers like this, but what can you do? Anyone can come here and form an opinion of us from any single thread. Oh well.

Aside from that, I'm pleased to know people who like having long hair as much as I do. :) I always felt weird for it before LHC.

perkidanman
March 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
OMG, all of her comments on the article are from people from LHC! XD

Sewas
March 12th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I was insulted but then...very, very proud. Where else can you find a community of persons who care so much about each other, who take pride in their bodies, are intelligent and resourceful, and as I continued to read the comments....very forgiving towards someone who published hair tips while poking fun at LHC.

ratgirldjh
March 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I think I am vaguely creepy and work hard to keep it that way :D

Nae
March 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
To me this feels like a community of people who are all on a long, boring, lonely journey and we just want to share our experiences and have some conversation along the way.

This is SO true! I had never thought about it in quite this way but we, ladies and gentlemen, are on the longest most boring road trip ever!! And if that makes us a little vauge and creepy......well, it is to be expected. Look at what happens to any average family during a long car ride. If we don't turn a little weird we aren't doing it right.:D

owlathena
March 12th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I didn't read through this thread at all so I might be being redundant here. I like the shout out to long hair...the only thing that bugs me about the article are the statements like " Everyone on Long Hair Community dabs their gorgeous hair dry with old, soft T-shirts..." Even though its saying something nice, the author shouldn't say stuff like "Everyone on LHC does ----." That's so not true and kind of bothers me.

ETA: We might be a little creepy...

pepperminttea
March 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I notice in society that those that have no passion or strong interests in a particular subject are considered normal and acceptable otherwise they are weird, geeks etc. IMO If they want to go about their lives having no interests then so be it... have great fun with that! It's a real shame actually and I do feel sorry for them. Sorry for the rant!

This, so much this! It reminds me of an epic John Green quote:

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?'"

Diamond.Eyes
March 12th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I think it's a little hypocritical and stereotypical to call the people on this site creepy, when she is doing the exact same thing as us. Also, a lot of the "key points" in her article are way off. What a bunch of bologna. You definitely don't need expensive hair products to have nice hair.

woolyleprechaun
March 13th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I was insulted but then...very, very proud. Where else can you find a community of persons who care so much about each other, who take pride in their bodies, are intelligent and resourceful, and as I continued to read the comments....very forgiving towards someone who published hair tips while poking fun at LHC.
I got that too! When I realised all the comments were kind, inteligent, patient and well worded, from our very own folk at the LHC, I was sooooo proud. I would hate to think of anyone getting embroiled in a petty argument, so it was lovely to see everyone was so reasonable and adult about it. Possibly because we embrace our vague creepiness ;)

joflakes
March 13th, 2012, 02:06 AM
The woman lack manners, if you are going to use a site for an article or a blog then you should credit them nicely, and if you use someone's direct advice you should credit them and preferably ask their permission to use that advice as well.

Definitely this.

She just sounds like someone who can't be polite about the fact that she's going to have good reviews from an article complied of information she didn't have permission to take in the first place.

SwordWomanRiona
March 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I notice in society that those that have no passion or strong interests in a particular subject are considered normal and acceptable otherwise they are weird, geeks etc. IMO If they want to go about their lives having no interests then so be it... have great fun with that! It's a real shame actually and I do feel sorry for them. Sorry for the rant!

You're so right! I feel the same about it. I've always hated the 'geek/nerd' labels...as you said, everyone who has a passion or strong interest about something are usually called weirdos and geeks and nerds...and 'vaguely creepy', too. I think it's unfair, and so sad, that doing something such as caring for one's long hair, doing archery or painting Warhammer miniatures be considered as 'weird/geeky' or, indeed, 'creepy'.
It is a real shame. They could be minding their own business, to start with (and broadening their minds!!), but I do feel sorry for those people who think that having a hobby/interest/passion about something is being a weirdo :(.

Now, really, caring for long hair is weird...and drinking oneself into oblivion every single weekend is not? :confused:

heidi w.
March 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
To some people. long hair is completely foreign and odd. Most people can't even fathom how one takes care of "all that hair". That was the largest point I received a response regarding my long hair video on youtube that I put up last week showing how to oil. People noted how I detangled mostly and commented upon that. Which to me was fairly surprising. To me, it's normal to have hair this long or long hair. I've been short and I didn't really like it. To my sister, she'd go nuts having long hair as she doesn't have the patience for it. Or at least in the past that's how she's framed it. I cannot see the linked article. I can't even find the article you're speaking of.

The internet is a huge area. It represents a lot of viewpoints, and a lot of people's ideas. You can find offensive material, and within a minute find something to your liking.

I wouldn't take it personally someone else's opinion. It's just an opinion. That's it. Not fact. And frankly, your link seems a bit obscure to me so this opinion isn't really mainstream.

I watch this crappy reality show called Excused occasionally, and I saw it last evening and one of the gals they let in the house was cuz in the guy's minds the chick had nice long hair. Lots of people LIKE long hair.

So, really, just be happy and carry on and don't waste your time hating on an internet article or author. They're simply uninformed, mostly.

heidi w.

trolleypup
March 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM
You're so right! I feel the same about it. I've always hated the 'geek/nerd' labels...as you said, everyone who has a passion or strong interest about something are usually called weirdos and geeks and nerds...and 'vaguely creepy', too. I think it's unfair, and so sad, that doing something such as caring for one's long hair, doing archery or painting Warhammer miniatures be considered as 'weird/geeky' or, indeed, 'creepy'.

It is a real shame. They could be minding their own business, to start with (and broadening their minds!!), but I do feel sorry for those people who think that having a hobby/interest/passion about something is being a weirdo :(.

Now, really, caring for long hair is weird...and drinking oneself into oblivion every single weekend is not? :confused:
Lowest Common Denominator! Anything that requires skills or commitment is right out! I mean, watching a monster truck rally while drinking cheap beer is OK, but Actually wrenching on and practicing in a monster truck? Or drinking fine whiskey?

Personally, I revel in the geek and nerd labels, and slightly creepy doesn't bother me at all, because only people without passions would see any creepiness.

Anje
March 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
For the record (are people other than me interested in this?), a Google search for "vaguely creepy" brings this thread up as 3rd, without any personalized results. Well above the blog that claims we are. :)

Changling
March 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I think the author was just a little insensitive, and maaaaybe could have taken a longer look at the site before stating things as fact. She probably really likes long hair, but is at odds with it because it's not fashionable to like long hair right now.

I think articles like this are a bit hurtful, but not malicious. And probably the least of our worries out here on the internet.

ETA: That being said, I'd rather be known as "seriously creepy" than "vaguely creepy," so I'm going to go get some white contacts and learn to speak in tongues now.

Ligeia_13
March 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Apparently being snide sells.

I don't mind though. I'm hella creepy :D

woolyleprechaun
March 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
For the record (are people other than me interested in this?), a Google search for "vaguely creepy" brings this thread up as 3rd, without any personalized results. Well above the blog that claims we are. :)
lol. I love the mystery and intrigue of a google search :p

sun-kissed
March 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Well that was down-right unprofessional of her, stealing our tips and methods, and then going on to shoot insults at us. :rolleyes:
I'm not at all insecure with being vaguely creepy (it is my ultimate goal in life), but the way she put it made it sound like it's a bad thing! I guess that's popular culture for ya.

I must agree fully with this; LHC is the most accepting, supportive, informative, upright, KNIT forum I've ever found on the internet. Let people say and think what the will, their miss-interpretations of us can't change reality. :toast:

Oh my, on me, oh me, oh my.. :p

ETA: Before I clicked on this thread, this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90148) came to mind from the title... I'm sorry, folks, but we are past just "vaguely creepy" at this point. :lol:

Bedhead
March 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I have met some long haired people (in person) that have indeed been "vaguely creepy", but alas I don't think this holds true for LHC, nor the great majority of long haired people. I've met plenty of non-LHC'ers that have been just plain creepy, not even vaguely so.

I'm guessing these are poorly chosen words to express her awe in people who tend to do things outside the box. If anything anyone who clicks on that link will find themselves drawn in to this wonderful community of fabulous people with the most glorious hair ever (I'm still working on this part), all while being naturally pulled into really exploring the quality of their hair care.

EdG
March 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM
For the record (are people other than me interested in this?), a Google search for "vaguely creepy" brings this thread up as 3rd, without any personalized results. Well above the blog that claims we are. :)Hee, hee. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Google bases its rankings on the number of links to a given page or website. Typing "long hair" into Google brings up LHC in the #5 slot. We should set a goal of becoming #1. :cheese:
Ed

ladyshep
March 14th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I must be creepy or wierd, I looked at my hair under my daughter's microscope today to find damage. :agree:

KN2384
March 14th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Hhmmm, "vaguely creepy", I resemble that remark, have never been one to be in the "in" group. I haven't read the post and at this point don't intend to. I was tickled pink to find this website and have invited several friends to join, and was very enthusiastic when sharing the information. I have greatly appreciated all the kind words of wisdom and information that has been shared and i spend more time on here than I do FB.

So, if "vaguely creepy" is what I am, then so be it.

kidari
March 16th, 2012, 04:34 AM
There is no such thing as normal. I think anyone who has a hobby they're into or tends to be obsessive about something can be interpreted as somewhat creepy. I don't think it's that unhealthy that I'm really obsessed with my hair. I can't talk about it all the time in real life because people will think I'm insane. I love that I can come here and obsess/brag/be creepy about it without abandon.

sonrisa76
March 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM
before i joined this site, i would read the topics and responses. i think everyone and i do mean everyone on here is very warm and embracing no matter the background. i honestly feel connected to everyone on here because we share one thing in common and that's all of us enjoy great, healthy hair. i have yet to feel as if someone is bragging. as i say in all of my posts, everyone on here has absolutely BEAUTIFUL hair and there is nothing wrong with showing the world your hair. i find it inspirational to see the results of hard work and dedication.

SwordWomanRiona
March 17th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I must be creepy or wierd, I looked at my hair under my daughter's microscope today to find damage. :agree:

And I used one of my hairs in a diffraction experiment during our Optics laboratory a couple of years ago, when we were asked to use a series of objects to create diffraction patterns! :D I think that such things are cool, not creepy, btw :)

WantMoreHair
March 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Humor anyone?

Long_hair_bear
November 30th, 2013, 07:02 PM
http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/20/how-to-grow-long-healthy-hair-beauty-editor-secrets/

I see some members have already commented on this article, but I'm not sure if I'm more insulted or flattered by being called "weird". :p

koolkittychick
November 30th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Meh. Sounds like the rantings of an opportunistic idiot looking to hawk a few overpriced items off the backs (or rather, heads) of LHCers. Not impressed. :rolleyes:

Kaelee
November 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM
:laugh: "vaguely creepy" and "weird". I have to admit, I thought that at first to. And then I joined for some reason or other and now...I'M ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :run:

:rollin:

Sillage
November 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Poor Cat Marnell, having to write for an AOL blog :laugh: She and Lemondrop are about as bottom-of-the-barrel as they come. I remember when that article came out the drama that ensued... good times!

Crumpet
November 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM
We are weirdos. Own it. Love it!

GoldberryHair
November 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM
How over-dramatized. At least she got some "good" points/suggestions in...

Wildcat Diva
November 30th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Wow, what a crappy commercialized article. She's probably getting excited by reading this thread and feeling like she has "fame."

MeganE
November 30th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Lame. Just cuz someone's talking about us doesn't mean we have to talk about them. Not much there worth taking notice of in my opinion. Although I totally get that it isn't fun to be misrepresented like that. Boo on her.

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I read that article before. I guess I'm weird for wanting nice hair so be it.

Sillage
November 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM
She's probably getting excited by reading this thread and feeling like she has "fame."

LOL she's got a $500,000 book deal from Simon and Schuster.

Wildcat Diva
November 30th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Sillage
November 30th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Truer words Wildcat Diva....

You could add a few more zeros on the end of that book deal and I still wouldn't want to trade places with her. The self loathing is off the charts in addition to other issues. Really biting my tongue here...

VixenWolfMare
November 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I don't see how this is vaguely creepy at all!

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
That article~condescending much???? Holier than thou articles make me puke.:puke:

windyballoons
November 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM
The whole article was about products.

She may have supposedly been lurking here for a long time, but I doubt it- or if she has, she must not pay much attention, since in all that time she hasn't realised that the key is care, not products.

I bet she found the site randomly and used it for the article right away.

Anyhow, the style in which it's written is- unpleasant to me. I don't plan to give it any more attention!

Rio040113
November 30th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Eh, I never said I'm not a weirdo :lol:

Flor
December 1st, 2013, 12:27 AM
I don't take offence in the "creepy", but I didn't like the whole "I bravely ventured into this society of crazy people to get you all the best scoop on hair care!". Geez, lady, do you want a Pulitzer award for reading a few forum posts on internet?

spirals
December 1st, 2013, 12:29 AM
I'm weird alright, but that's nothing to do with my hair.

anitacs9101
December 1st, 2013, 01:01 AM
:laugh: "vaguely creepy" and "weird". I have to admit, I thought that at first to. And then I joined for some reason or other and now...I'M ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :run:

:rollin:

Ahaha same. I never would have thought I would have ended up joining xD

HintOfMint
December 1st, 2013, 01:16 AM
I don't take offence in the "creepy", but I didn't like the whole "I bravely ventured into this society of crazy people to get you all the best scoop on hair care!". Geez, lady, do you want a Pulitzer award for reading a few forum posts on internet?

And she didn't even get the basics right! She's still hocking expensive products that I've NEVER even seen written about on the forum. I understand that for a lot of these blog type sites, snark passes for humor, but she managed to make the most low-maintenance actions (like abstaining from heat or combing carefully) sound like the most arduous undertaking. It's ridiculous.

juliaxena
December 1st, 2013, 01:19 AM
I don't see anything vaguely creepy here.

The article is quite old so I am not sure it is worth getting upset about it.

Libbylou
December 1st, 2013, 01:41 AM
I was weird with short, permed hair and used salon products. So what am I now that I have longer hennaed hair? Weirder?
I go to the hair salon every 5-6 weeks. I go to the walk in places to get my bangs trimmed. Never have they told me my length needs trimmed. I usually get offered their braiding services.
I never got my hair "petted" when I had short hair. Now almost every time I go in I am told how healthy, shiny, and soft my hair is.
What bugs me about the article was that she never mentioned everyone's hair is different. What works for some might not work for me. She never mentioned alternative hair coloring either.
The article was just a paycheck for her.

Tota
December 1st, 2013, 01:52 AM
To me, people like her are weirdos. Shallow and materialistic trying to sell something at any given time. I tend to successfully avoid them lately and LHC helped a lot with that, too ;)

Andeee
December 1st, 2013, 02:21 AM
I guess anybody who wants a *real* education and really is serious about growing their hair can just find this forum through the article and see how diverse everyone here is. Some of us weird (in all kinds of good ways) and some of us less so.

frejafjord
December 1st, 2013, 06:18 AM
Really boring journalistic style - who does she think her audience is? I think someones watched Mean Girls too many times when the whole premise of their article is to poke fun at the nerdy losers with *gasp* passionate interests. Thank god she ventured into our creepy geek world for the good of all normal-girl-kind!
Moral of the story? Sometimes gross losers can help you in your quest to becoming hotter!

This article would be bearable if she remembered to be joking.

MonaMayfair
December 1st, 2013, 06:21 AM
I basically agree with her. I look after my hair sensibly, and have done ever since I was old enough to take care of it myself, but all this treating it like antique lace, wearing it up, keeping it oiled etc is creepy to ME and I like long hair. I really don't admire any hair longer than waist length though. I had tbl when I was 14/15 or so, but would never want it that long again.
LOL on Twitter yesterday, I saw this site described as "nerdy"

Taenarian
December 1st, 2013, 06:30 AM
"Weird." Heh. Heard it all my life. Hear it enough and there's a risk of believing it. Well, fine, I am so very happy with my long hair. Anyone who says being happy is weird has got things a bit confused, IMO.

Andeee
December 1st, 2013, 06:50 AM
I basically agree with her. I look after my hair sensibly, and have done ever since I was old enough to take care of it myself, but all this treating it like antique lace, wearing it up, keeping it oiled etc is creepy to ME and I like long hair. I really don't admire any hair longer than waist length though. I had tbl when I was 14/15 or so, but would never want it that long again.
I guess I am a nerd then. I don't think there is anything creepy about taking really good care of your hair (even though I don't put as much into it as others do) and I think super long hair (way beyond waist length) is really awesome. I'm sure loads agree with me and I'm sure loads agree with you. :shrug:

BrendaLoan
December 1st, 2013, 07:00 AM
Weirdo and proud :hollie:

frejafjord
December 1st, 2013, 07:09 AM
Well, to be fair I'm sure some people would find your degree of care 'creepy'. We are simply putting in the effort needed to achieve our aesthetic goals. Lots of people put much more effort and care into their looks and it's not seen as creepy, just feminine.

On an unrelated note, I think the creep/nerd factor is pushed primarily by industries who aren't making money off us anymore, when we decide to go sulphate free etc. it's *creepy* because we aren't buying into the same **** as other people and just listening to our bodies.

MonaMayfair
December 1st, 2013, 08:08 AM
Well, to be fair I'm sure some people would find your degree of care 'creepy'.

i'm pretty sure they wouldn't. All I do is make sure I comb it from the bottom (as opposed to ripping through from the top) and wash it every 3 days (as opposed to every day) That's pretty mainstream and the advice given in most girls/womens magazines. I've done those things since I was 11 or so.
I do use a blowdryer and I do wear it loose, except when the weather is very windy because it annoys me when it blows about. I only dye it with semipermanents that wash out in 8 washes, but that's because I have a really sensitive scalp, not because I'm worried about damaging my hair with a longer lasting dye.

lapushka
December 1st, 2013, 08:23 AM
Oh, *that* article... *again*. I just don't let it bother me. Pfeh... :roll:

MaryO
December 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Interestingly enough that was the article that helped me find LHC! So I was attracted to weirdos and am one now! Haha!