PDA

View Full Version : tangles & french braids

squiggyflop
September 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
why does my hair tangle so bad when i try to take it out of a french braid?.. i never do them even though i know how because of this.. does it happen to any of you?

sorry about the randomness

trillcat
September 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I take mine out the same way they are put in, layer by layer. It still gets a bit tangled but far less if than If I took the whole thing out at once then tried to comb out, I would be forever with the snarls and tangles that way.

pepperminttea
September 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I get the same thing. I think it must be one of the 'joys' of having wavy-ish, fine-ish hair.

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yes; it's a pain! All the shorter hairs that work their way out of the braid grab onto each other, so even though I go one at a time up my braid to take it out, some areas are still all tangly. (and to think - when my hair was short I thought I'd manage it by keeping it braided)

Carolyn
September 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I seem to get more tangles with a french braid too. I have no idea why. Interesting question.

bumblebums
September 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I've only now started noticing that. I think it's because the hairs from the top of your head are in more braid bumps in a French braid than in an English braid. That's why you get waves higher up on the head, and why it works for holding in layers.

I'm going to count this as a mini-milestone! Finally, a French braid is more of a pain in the ass than a solution to short-hairedness.

StephanieB
September 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I don't know why, but my hair is baby-fine and it also tangles when French braided.

squiggyflop
September 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
oh good its not just me

Peter
September 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Mine does too. I think it's because the waves tend to stick to each other instead of nicely separating into strands for the braid.

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I have the same troubles with the Dutch braid as well.

Gemma
September 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yup, another one here who has the same problem.

Wanderer09
September 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM
It must be in the nature of French braids to cause tangles then.

Capybara
September 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
This actually does happen to me. My French braids always end up as a gigantic snarl at the nape, no matter how smoothly they're put in - especially if I'm wearing a wool turtleneck :shudder: I love the look of French braids, but wish they didn't end up so poorly on me :p

Gumball
September 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I think it depends on the day and how my hair is behaving. On a good day, if it's french braided, I won't have too much of a hassle. If it's wind blown, or I've rubbed against stuff a lot, then it might cause me some trouble.

The only difficulty I encounter when taking down a french braid is in having to comb out the various strands. It's different than a bun, where all the hair was together as a unit, because a french braid only appears that way. Really it's a bunch of different units put together. It's not much different than having to comb my hair in the morning before styling it for the day. I always have to comb my hair out before doing something to it, so it's not out of the ordinary really.

trillcat
September 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM
This actually does happen to me. My French braids always end up as a gigantic snarl at the nape, no matter how smoothly they're put in - especially if I'm wearing a wool turtleneck :shudder: I love the look of French braids, but wish they didn't end up so poorly on me :p
There is a trick to cut down on the snarls on the nape of the neck with a French braid, thank you Torrin Paige who's tutorial on French braids taught me this!
When you get to the last 2 bits of hair to be braided, at the nape, cross them over.
The bit of hair on the right is now on the left, and visa versa. Takes a bit of fumble fingers at first, and she explains this so much better than me, but it does cut down on nape tangles.

yellowchariot
September 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
TBH, I braid my hair every night to sleep it, to keep it from tangling. Then when I take it out, usually around mid-day, I used my fingers to manually separate the sections. Now I gently comb through with a wide tooth comb, hardly no tangle at all. Then I'm left with surfer dude beach waves :D haha.

kittensoupnrice
September 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
:confused:

I can't really say that french braids or dutch braids tangle any worse for me than just regular braids.

In fact, I'd say that I usually do better with a french, than an english, especially if I'm going to be doing lots of "head rubbing" activities like driving or lying down, etc.

But then again, maybe it's a hair texture thing? If I took out my hairtie on a french braid, even if it's braided all the way down, the entire thing would slip out by itself.

Edit:
Just remembered, I DO get lots of snarls if I happen to get a french braid WET. Never ever again shall I go swimming with a french braid!

Capybara
September 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
There is a trick to cut down on the snarls on the nape of the neck with a French braid, thank you Torrin Paige who's tutorial on French braids taught me this!
When you get to the last 2 bits of hair to be braided, at the nape, cross them over.
The bit of hair on the right is now on the left, and visa versa. Takes a bit of fumble fingers at first, and she explains this so much better than me, but it does cut down on nape tangles.
Oooh, that makes sense! Thank you :flowers: