PDA

View Full Version : Hair wraps.

Alix
September 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Like, the ones with thread and beads at the end. I love doing them, they were real popular at my school for a while and I usually do them with hemp, but here at college I left my hemp at home and had to resort to embroidery floss. I messed up at the end and have a slim selection of beads, but I still like them. I'm hoping to get hemp when I go home to do more, all the girls on my floor want them.

Do you guys do hair wraps ever? Or are they bad for your hair? I know a lot of people think you have to cut them out, which you don't. They slide out on their own after a week or two if you tie them on top of the braid instead of into it ( like I do.)

Some pictures of my most recent one.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/LoveFromPumpkin/Photoon2010-09-20at1715.jpg
I also use to it tie my hair out of my way sometimes.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/LoveFromPumpkin/Photoon2010-09-20at17152.jpg

ravenreed
September 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Wow, flash back! I used to do these when I was a kid, like 20 years ago. I loved them. I always used embroidery floss for the nice colors and I left them in a while so the tops dreaded something fierce. I had to cut mine out, not because they were tied in, but because mine never came out.

Alix
September 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I braid my hair super tight up top to keep it from dreading. But I also have a lot of slip in my hair so I feel like I couldn't dread if I tried with all my might! Did you leave your's in for like a month? I wish I could, If I want to keep them in for a while I usually have to re-do every two weeks or so.

paperwhite
September 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I never could figure out how to do those...I would've had one in all the time!

ravenreed
September 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I left mine in a long time. I braided my hair first, but the new growth always ended up dreaded at the top of the wrap. Also, I didn't just wrap mine, I did a kind of a knot that twists around. That is probably why mine were indestructible.

Alix
September 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Oh, you can't see it but mine is knotted too, the knot that twists around. I think it's more attractive then the plain wraps. And the hemp ones get knotted in too. Do you guys think it would look weird to put two in my hair? I want to try a different pattern and don't have the patience to take this one out.

LittleOrca
September 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I used to do them all the time, but abut 70% of the hair inside the hair wrap would come out with it. It was torture on my hair with all the pulling it caused so I stopped using them when I was in middle school.

kittensoupnrice
September 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I almost never got these done because they charged by the inch where I lived!
I never had the patience to do them myself, either. :o

But, the few times I did get it done, I also had a lot of breakage above the wrap, along with some dreading as well. :(
Since I had bad brushing habits, it seemed I'd always catch on the wrap with my hairbrush, too, only compounding the breakage issue.

I solved this by getting a clip-in faux hair-wrap. ;)

Jenn of Pence
September 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I also did these way back when, in like middle school. :) I did mine myself; I always thought it was a cool splash of unexpected color and texture. I think I always did them just on the top, so they would slide off.

pepperminttea
September 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
This is a blast from the past! :) I had one done once in middle school, right at the top by my parting so it was easy to lift for brushing. I can't remember a lot of breakage from it, but at the time I didn't particularly notice/care about my hair in general, so I've no idea. I never had another put in, I don't think my hands are adept enough to manage it myself either - not out of lack of wanting though, just that they charge by the inch here, too!

Phexlyn
September 21st, 2010, 12:49 AM
Looks lovely on you! :)

I used to do these years ago, but it would be a pain to do them now, at classic length!
Usually I got them out with relatively little hairloss, except for the one time my cousin did the wrap and my hair got all matted together... I had to cut it out to get rid of it.

PrincessBob
September 21st, 2010, 02:33 AM
I had one hair wrap when I was in junior high. I thought it was nifty, but ditto the bad brushing habits and catching the wrap. Plus it absolutely had to be cut out of my hair. My hair tangles and mats when in a normal braid for a day, so, yeah. :giggle:

Alcenaia
September 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think these are neat, but...

...they charged by the inch where I lived!

same problem here too.

I know I have a bag of embroidery floss around here. Maybe when I have some time I'll take a stab at it. :)

Jessica Trapp
September 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Very cute!

Elph
September 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
For a long time in high school I wore the bottom part of my hair (think undercut) in a tight plat. This didn't cause me many issues.

halo_tightens
September 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Oh man, I had forgotten all about this!!! I think I still have a box of embroidery floss in the closet... If I ever get around to doing one, I'll bring pics!

Thanks for reminding me of something fun that I hadn't thought of in years! :)

Anje
September 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Oh, I remember having one of those! I was another who was perpetually snagging it when I brushed my hair, so I think I took it out pretty quick and never did another one. The upshot of that was that I didn't have to deal with losing the hair inside or having it dread, that I can recall.

florenonite
September 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Ooh, I used to love these! Haven't worn one in years, though. I think I might have to find some embroidery floss now :p