PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Keep Curly Hair Nice Overnight?

itsjackie
May 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
I wash my hair in the evening and go to bed with it damp. But how can I keep it nice overnight so it doesn't get all poofy and crazy?

kwaniesiam
May 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
You could try letting it dry a bit more before bed, maybe braid it, or mist it in the morning to re-wet it slightly and use some aloe gel to tame any frizz. I'm not a curly, but I have wonky waves that look weird if I sleep on my hair and don't re-wet to comb out. Many members here use satin pillowcases since they have more slip and don't cause as much friction against your hair to mess it up. You can buy those or make them out of some fabric for fairly cheap. HTH!

itsjackie
May 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
thanks , anythingg else ?

swan
May 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
i kind of put it up hanging down from my pillow and it stays all defined and nice (but i don't move very much while asleep so it may not work for someone who moves a lot)

jojo
May 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
i got an idea, my hair is more wavy than curly and i havent tried this but how about you get a stocking/ pantyhose and cut it at the knee, when your hair is wet place the stocking so that the bit that goes at the top of your leg is at your hairline, then gently roll this bit up until the bottom of the stocking is cradling/holding your curls and tie with an elastic does this make sense? like if you put your hands under your curls and just hold them up slightly, im thinking this would retain your curls.

dont know if it would work, but if anybody wants to give it a go and post the results!

thinking about it you wouldnt even need to cut it just roll it up

manderly
May 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I've been loosely twisting my hair into a little bun on the tippy top of my head and clipping it with my ficcare overnight. This is keeping it from getting all ratty, my wetset curls stay intact, and I don't get that retarded dent in my hair if I use a scrunchy.

curls2grow
May 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
I have curly hair. I found that using a satin or silk pillowcase helps a lot with not getting "poofy and crazy" while I sleep.

jojo
May 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I've been loosely twisting my hair into a little bun on the tippy top of my head and clipping it with my ficcare overnight. This is keeping it from getting all ratty, my wetset curls stay intact, and I don't get that retarded dent in my hair if I use a scrunchy.

This is strange, I was just going to post a thread about sleeping with ficcares in. Do you think they can damage the hair in anyway. Like i am a right tosser in bed and I am afraid they might snag my hair.

Do you notice any hair breakage using this method? TIA:)

lookingglass
May 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
I do the messy bun with a scrunchie thing on the top of my head or braid it. It is ALWAYS poofy in the a.m. Really.:p

Riot Crrl
May 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
If your name is Riot Crrl... you don't.

dontcallmejessi
May 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
What I've been doing lately that works is I scrunch it and do sort of like the plop method but do it into a hair net. the fabric kind that is ment for use over rollers. it is very sheer so it allows my hair to dry overnight and since it is plopped it keeps my curls defined and protected.

itsjackie
May 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
What I've been doing lately that works is I scrunch it and do sort of like the plop method but do it into a hair net. the fabric kind that is ment for use over rollers. it is very sheer so it allows my hair to dry overnight and since it is plopped it keeps my curls defined and protected.
what's the plop method?

CurlyOne
May 23rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
I braid it. The braid doesn't have to be too tight, basically it just protects the curls and if anything it makes them look pretty nice in the morning.

manderly
May 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
This is strange, I was just going to post a thread about sleeping with ficcares in. Do you think they can damage the hair in anyway. Like i am a right tosser in bed and I am afraid they might snag my hair.

Do you notice any hair breakage using this method? TIA:)

No, not any. I got more tangles when I was using a scrunchie. Because it's on the tippy top of my head (close to my forehead) it doesn't get disturbed, and the ficcare holds the bun against my roots securing it so it doesn't flop around like with a scrunchie.

My favorite part is it prevents that stupid bump!!

dontcallmejessi
May 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
what's the plop method?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=685&highlight=plop

ETA: I forgot to mention I do put a bit of coconut oil in the ends before plopping.

rhubarbarin
May 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM
It's not really possible for my hair to last overnight. If I braid it, it looks wonky. If not.. it's frizzy. I might be able to pull it off when my hair is healthier (years in the furture til I cut all the bad parts off), but right now I have a crappy canopy area and ends that are easily mussed.

I use the Curly Girl method now. Scalp wash about once a week, scrunch a little bit of conditioner in, and every morning wet it down (not soaked, but throughly damped) and scrunch in a little more condtioner, or a little coconut oil. Dries pretty quickly, refreshes my curls.

Lamb
May 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM
If your name is Riot Crrl... you don't.

Neither do you if your name is Lamb. ;) Sticking my head under the tap in the morning is the only way to de-flatten it.

Curlyredhead
May 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Neither do you if your name is Lamb. ;) Sticking my head under the tap in the morning is the only way to de-flatten it.

Same here, have to dampen or wet it, finger out the tangles .

Riot Crrl
May 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hahaha. My hair just loves to be wet every day, and hates to not be. I don't mean to discourage the OP, but I did want to present the viewpoint that some of us can't, and it is OK.

PhillyGirl1978@
May 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I pineapple. I have real curly hair and I also shower at night cause I don't have time to do it in the morning. So what I do is I take a shower when I get home from work, put all my stuff in( conditioner, avg) let it dry while I am doing stuff around the house (dinner, t.v....etc.) at night I get a scrunchie and put it into a real high ponytail on top of my head. I bend at the waist, let it all fall and gather it into a pony from there. My hair is kinda long so I also get a smaller elastic and put that around the bottom part of the pineapple. When I get up and take it down it looks great. Any crunchiness from too much aloe vera gel has diminished and it looks good.

psvzum
May 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Nothing works for me. I always have to wet it each morning for it to look good-or mist well and scrunch the heck out of it.

harley mama
May 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I just pile my hair (above my head) on the pillow and it seems to work
unless I have a restless night.