PDA

View Full Version : ugh - bug bites under hair.

RachelRain
September 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Yesterday I went to see one of my friends and we all sat outside for... quite a few hours. I didn't realize I was getting bitten on my head until I went to run my hands over my hair and felt TONS of mosquitos stuck in my hair. Gross.

I did brush it out when we got home, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they'd done til this morning when I brushed out my hair after we took a shower. My head is on fire. I've been literally covered from ankle to knee in sand flea bites before, and it still doesn't compare to my head right now.

Does anyone have an idea of something I could try to cut down on the itching? I tried cold water - I actually jumped in the shower twice to try ice cold water - it only stops it for a few minutes. Aloe doesn't seem to help and I can't really get it under all my hair anyways... ugh. Seriously, just... ugh.

swivelhop
September 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Have you tried benedryl? I don't like to take it but its systemic so you won't have to dot your head with pink-lotion.

Intransigentia
September 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Benadryl also makes a topical anti-itch cream that I've used with some success (not on my head). But heck, people around here have been known to smear their scalps with Monistat, so why not Benadryl?

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Benadryl is a good idea. You could also brew some catnip just for your scalp or do a complete hair and scalp treatment at the same time. However, the cause is your reaction to the bites, so an antihistamine is best.

RachelRain
September 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My mother in law doused me in hot vinegar... it's working for now, hooray. Although I smell disgusting.

I just checked the bathroom for benedryl and we don't have any, but there's a walmart like three miles from my house, so I'll go pick some up - I don't know why I didn't think of that stuff. Calamine lotion came to mind, but... god, the mess. lol.

Thanks, guys! I'm going to run out and grab some now.

eta - ooh, more reasons to try catnip rinses. I'm gonna hafta snag some.

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM
My mother in law doused me in hot vinegar... it's working for now, hooray. Although I smell disgusting.

I just checked the bathroom for benedryl and we don't have any, but there's a walmart like three miles from my house, so I'll go pick some up - I don't know why I didn't think of that stuff. Calamine lotion came to mind, but... god, the mess. lol.

Thanks, guys! I'm going to run out and grab some now.

You are most welcome!

Benadryl gave me a buzz when I took it once, so take it when you get home if you are sensitive to any meds that can make you the least bit drowsy, like me.

In2wishin
September 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Benadryl also makes a topical anti-itch cream that I've used with some success (not on my head). But heck, people around here have been known to smear their scalps with Monistat, so why not Benadryl?

I second this stuff although I use the Benadryl Anti-Itch gel instead of the cream. It is the only thing that helps when I get all bitten up by mosquitos.

tinti
September 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Aw, doesn't sound good. Hope the hot vinegar is still helping. I'd just second what everyone said abou anti itching creams/gels/whatevers. I always used something called Aurax when I got bitten by mosqitos, but it's wery waxy so it's not a good idea if you wanna look nice :)

RachelRain
September 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I did end up getting a gel version, because I couldn't find the regular stuff and they had a skeleton crew, so I didn't feel like trying to find someone. I have a lot of volume, right now, at least lol. I figure if the gel stuff works (it seems pretty good so far) I'll use that at night and wash it out in the mornings, and then just vinegar the hell out of my head a few times during the day. It's not like I have anywhere to be anyways.

I hate when my head itches... thank you all for your help :) I really do appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for the pill version too, next time I have to run out somewhere.

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I did end up getting a gel version, because I couldn't find the regular stuff and they had a skeleton crew, so I didn't feel like trying to find someone. I have a lot of volume, right now, at least lol. I figure if the gel stuff works (it seems pretty good so far) I'll use that at night and wash it out in the mornings, and then just vinegar the hell out of my head a few times during the day. It's not like I have anywhere to be anyways.

I hate when my head itches... thank you all for your help :) I really do appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for the pill version too, next time I have to run out somewhere.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Please update.

StephanieB
September 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I was just about to suggest vinegar, too. It takes the sting out of insect bites.

estherbeth
September 21st, 2010, 06:46 AM
Oh, no. I have so much sympathy. The ninja mosquitos must be particularly horrible this year for some reason. I've never been bitten on my head before, but when I stood outside talking to my cousin for a few minutes the other day as she was leaving my house, I ended up full of bites. My scalp, arms, front torso, and back were covered with them. I've never had so many mosquito bites! :cry: I took Benadryl capsules every four hours all night, until the worst of the itching was over. I was bad and scratched to my heart's content with blessedly long nails (I would have nubbed myself to death otherwise), though.

RachelRain
September 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM
I just cut all my nails off too or I would've just itched like mad! lol. I woke up about an hour ago and wanted nothing more than to use my brush like an itcher, but that would've made a wreck out of my hair and probably gotten it stuck lol.

At least it was just 'squitos, right? I mean, it could be fleas, or something. Ick!

In2wishin
September 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oh, no. I have so much sympathy. The ninja mosquitos must be particularly horrible this year for some reason. I've never been bitten on my head before, but when I stood outside talking to my cousin for a few minutes the other day as she was leaving my house, I ended up full of bites. My scalp, arms, front torso, and back were covered with them. I've never had so many mosquito bites! :cry: I took Benadryl capsules every four hours all night, until the worst of the itching was over. I was bad and scratched to my heart's content with blessedly long nails (I would have nubbed myself to death otherwise), though.

We had some a couple of years ago that were so hungry they bit me through my jeans! I was camping over a 3 day weekend and left a day early because they were so bad. I am allergic to skeeter bites so a pencil-eraser size bump on most people becomes a quarter size lump on me. I tried to count the bites but gave up when I hit 100 and hadn't gotten above my waist. That is when I found the Benadryl gel and the luxury of soaking in an oatmeal bath!

estherbeth
September 21st, 2010, 09:22 PM
At least it was just 'squitos, right? I mean, it could be fleas, or something. Ick!

*shudder* I itch just thinking of fleas and lice. Ick, indeed!

I am allergic to skeeter bites so a pencil-eraser size bump on most people becomes a quarter size lump on me.

Ditto. Most of the ones on my arms and front weren't too bad - definitely bigger than a pencil eraser, but not surprising with my crazy allergic reactions to stuff. The ones on my back turned into huge welts. They must have pulled up a chair and had a nice, long dinner there! The ones on my arms and front are completely gone, but there are still marks on my back. I haven't been outside for more than about thirty seconds at a time since I was swarmed. :laugh:

BlackfootHair
September 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM
Lavender oil. Directly on the bite. I didn't believe that it could work as well as it did, but it really does. I had bed bug bites and lavender oil was the only thing that kept me from ripping the bites off my skin! I used to be severely allergic to mosquito bites when I was kid.