PDA

View Full Version : Do you moisturize your hair after you've oiled it, even a few days later?

Chestershire
September 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi!
I used to moisturize my hair every morning with a leave in conditioner, even when my hair was greasy or when I've used an oil a day of a few days before. In this article here (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepa ge=true&cat=69), it says the following:

"A light coating of oil after your daily moisturizer will help seal the moisture inside. Oils are made of large molecules. These molecules are too large to absorbed by the hair strand. Applying oils to the hair and scalp will coat them and trap the moisture that is inside on the inside and the moisture that is outside on the outside. The key is to use the oil to "lock in the moisture." If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one, the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to a coated feel and eventual dryness. This technique of moisturizing and sealing has really been helpful to me and is a resonating hallmark of my regimen. Fighting hair breakage and achieving moisturizing success is all in the order in which you apply your products "

But now I'm wondering whether is a waste of moisturizing product, if i use it when my hair is greasy or when I've used some oil. I use only a teensie bit of olive oil, because my hair gets to quickly greasy. Or does the coating wear off? Does anybody knows this? Thanks :)

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Some oils, such as coconut oil, can be absorbed by the hair, adding to the strength and flexibility. According to my understanding, when you're talking about skin and hair, emollients, like oil, are called "moisturizing". I oil generously the day before I plan to wash it, and this routine has greatly benefitted my hair.

But really, I think what you put into your body - a good diet rich in essential fatty acids and nutrients plus plenty of water - will have a far greater effect on the health of your hair than anything that you can apply directly to the hair.

curlylocks85
September 23rd, 2010, 06:42 AM
My hair always needs moisturizing. I use Jojoba Oil and I have never felt that dry crunchy feeling from the coating of it on my hair. I usually wash my hair once a week, twice if it is really dirty, and I always do a deep treatment. I think this helps with locking in the moisture with or without oiling.

DAK-S81
September 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I oil heavily at least once a week (leaving it on overnight and showering in the morning) and I've noticed a significant positive change in the quality of my hair. I can't imagine *not* oiling now.

2peasinapod
September 23rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
I use coconut oil, but I also moisturize. Since I tend to only oil the ends (they dry out so fast!), it doesn't really affect me.

Dragon
September 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
I mostly oil but some times use a moisturizer.

Kathie
September 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I also moisturize and oil, it doesnt matter which one I use first. My hair soaks them both up regardless. Or at least they disappear somewhere :run:

FrannyG
September 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I tend to moisturize after COing with a bit of moisturizing conditioner, and then add a few drops of jojoba oil over the moisturized hair when my hair is almost dry. I add a few drops of jojoba oil again each day to keep the moisture in and to provide a buffer against the elements.

I will often do a deep coconut oil soak, if I have the time, before then doing a deep moisture treatment.

After that, a touch of leave-in and back to the jojoba oil routine until the next CO. It's been working for me.

Othala
September 24th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I think using a leave-in conditioner after oiling is a waste of product. The oil will IMO prevent the uptake of water and conditioning agents onto/into the hair shaft.

jojo
September 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I do a deep coconut oil once a week and do a moisterising DC straight after and then I add further oil (morrocanoil) once this has been rinsed. I have no problem with greasy hair.

Chestershire
September 26th, 2010, 07:47 AM
okay thanks everyone :)

jeanniet
September 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I use oil and Nightblooming's panacea on my ends every night, and then I do a heavier oiling before a wash. My ends just really need the extra help. It has made a huge difference with the number of splits I see.