PDA

View Full Version : My natural haircolour - it stinks! Help me dye it

Konstifik
September 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM
So, after over a year of growing out henna, I've tried to appreciate my natural colour. I've tried real hard to accept and love it. I've even tried to delude myself into liking it. But, in the end, I don't. I despise it!
My dream hair is the colour I had as a little girl, golden blonde and light. Not this (sorry for the blurriness):

(Flash)
http://i51.tinypic.com/1so005.jpg

(No flash)
http://i55.tinypic.com/2iktir4.jpg

Sigh. :(
I'm growing out henna, and while I didn't hate the colour (it's better than my natural...), I'd really like to hear if it's possible for me to at least go blonde again, even if it's dark blonde.
I'm very afraid of dying, especially if it involves bleaching. My hair grows very slow, it has taken me 10 years to go from shoulder to bsl, and I would not like to start over.
I've tried both honey lightning and cassia. They did nothing. :(

I have heard good words about Elumen. I know they don't lighten hair, but is it possible that it could turn my hair more towards blonde?
Are there other alternatives? Any alternatives at all?
Please help! :flower:

ETA: When I talk about dying, I mean only the virgin hair. I'll let the henna grow out.

Harriet
September 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
You could try honey lightening or cassia for your virgin hair, but I think you have to bleach to cover henna?
I think your natural colour is beautiful!

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Not that I have a lot of personal experience with this, but from what I've learned here at LHC:
1) You can't get a lighter color without bleach or peroxide, although a few people have had success with honey lightening. You might be able to push it more toward a shade you like with Elumen or some other hair color, however.

2) Henna is stubborn. You won't get rid of it without destroying your hair. It's always going to glow through whatever dye you choose. When I didn't like my henna, I merely let it grow out and trimmed it off. Over time, the line of demarcation became more and more blurred until I couldn't tell where the hennna ended and my own color began. However, I only applied it once.

Konstifik
September 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
You could try honey lightening or cassia for your virgin hair, but I think you have to bleach to cover henna?
I think your natural colour is beautiful!

Thanks! Forgot to add to my original post - I've tried them both. They did nothing. >.<

Konstifik
September 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Not that I have a lot of personal experience with this, but from what I've learned here at LHC:
1) You can't get a lighter color without bleach or peroxide, although a few people have had success with honey lightening. You might be able to push it more toward a shade you like with Elumen, however.

2) Henna is stubborn. You won't get rid of it without destroying your hair. It's always going to glow through whatever dye you choose. When I didn't like my henna, I merely let it grow out and trimmed it off. Over time, the line of demarcation became more and more blurred until I couldn't tell where the hennna ended and my own color began. However, I only applied it once.

Thanks for your reply!
Yeah, I know a dye can't lighten hair unless it contains peroxide. But I'd just like a more blonde shade, even if it's not lighter than my hair.

As for henna, yes I know I'll have to live with it until it grows away. ^^ I don't mind that really. I have patience. It's the virgin hair I dislike.

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Your natural color is already pretty light (and I like it). I'm sure it would be possible to add some golden tones to it. A suggestion: Try a temporary dye that washes out in 6-10 shampoos first; see how it works for you.

Konstifik
September 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Your natural color is already pretty light (and I like it). I'm sure it would be possible to add some golden tones to it. A suggestion: Try a temporary dye that washes out in 6-10 shampoos first; see how it works for you.

Good to hear it might be possible! :D
Do you know of any dye that is the least damaging?

I'm sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to dyes outside of henna. ^^;;
I'm not sure what the chemical dyes do to your hair. Is it drying? Permanent damage? Evil gnomes?

All I know is that it's possible to cause allergic reactions.

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The deposit-only dyes (which are not permanent) don't damage hair, at least not very much. I can't tell where you are from your location description, but in the US we have a product called Clairol Loving Care which washes out within about 2 weeks to a month. There are other brands, too; that's the only one I can think of right now.

TrudieCat
September 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Your hair looks like it already is blonde to me. :) But if you want it lighter and you don't have luck with deposit only color, you might want to take a look at this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495) thread for ways to reduce damage if you use a dye with peroxide.

Calaelen
September 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hi! Hairstylist here! I can echo what everyone else has said about having to bleach the henna, and if you want to get rid of it, that's what you'll have to do. As for your virgin hair, you can do whatever with that, and probably get very little damage. You could go several shades lighter, and to a more golden blonde on the virgin hair with a simple hair colour application, but, you'd still have all that red henna at the ends. If you're okay with a much more obvious line of demarcation as we call it, then I guess that is the way to go.

Are you interested in a DIY job, or are you considering getting it professionally done?

I can give you advice for either situation, just let me know.

Personally, and from a professional standpoint, I think in the end, you'd be happier either leaving your hair as is, or bleaching the henna to try and get a closer match to the colour you're going to dye the virgin hair, rather than just lightening the virgin hair, however, you'll know best if that is the case.

Good luck, and let me know if you'd like colour and brand advice for a DIY attempt.

MsBubbles
September 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
But it already looks dark blonde to me.

I like your natural color! But then I'm biased because it's similar to mine and I did manage to talk myself into liking it :).

I think you could probably achieve a color you'd absolutely love by putting in slight highlights. That is, I don't think it'd take much color stripping of many of your hairs to give you the overall effect you'd like. Theoretically I guess you'd have less damage that way, rather than heavy highlights. But I'm not a colorist/stylist so I don't know exactly.

little_cherry
September 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I second a deposit only colour like elumen.

Deborah
September 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I think your natural color is just lovely. I would just let it grow in, trimming off the henna, either all now, or in stages until just your own beautiful hair is left. :flower:

trillcat
September 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I agree that your natural color is beautiful, I would not even call it dark blonde, more medium, like a light caramel. Very pretty and I am envious of it!
But, it is your hair and you don't like it, and that is what matters.
I have nothing to offer except moral support for whatever you choose to do, but it is a beautiful color natural, one a lot of people spend big money to have. :)

x0h_bother
September 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I love your natural, but I know you don't.

leslissocool
September 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Gosh I bleached my hair like 7 times to get something like your natural hair color! So I know what you mean by hating your natural hair color... Even my sister thought i looked better with the bleach :( even if my hair was fried...

I think that, if you hate your natural hair color and you would like it lighter, bleaching is the best option. I actually have over 4 inches of my hair bleached still, and it kept really nice long... I just have to keep on doing protein treatments and hot oils to keep it strong, but other than that it's manageable... I think if you bleach strictly for an even hair color, it won't damage it that much... and you might find that you want to bleach the rest of your hair once to go to that lighter blond, and then color it with a gold tone...

There are hair dyes that are actually not as damaging, like washables, semi or even demi permanent dyes that you can go to a sally's (if you live in the US) and get, they are actually easier than the horrible drug store color and even cheaper. You can get something amonia free, to eliminate the static dyed effect... and since your hair is pretty light already, i don't think you need a lot of bleaching to get it to where you want it...

if you just want to trim out the henna, there are also options like highlights to enhance your natural hair color and make it lighter as you please... god invented haircolor for us women who really don't like ours :cheese:

I heard that the rule is, don't go over 3 shades lighter or darker than your hair color to avoid damage... our fellow hairstyle member can correct me if i'm wrong :)

spidermom
September 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Have you tried Sun-In? We have a member here with longer than classic-length hair, and she gets the color she wants with a few squirts of Sun-In every few weeks or so to the top followed by warming with the hair dryer. Her hair looks AWESOME!

trillcat
September 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Have you tried Sun-In? We have a member here with longer than classic-length hair, and she gets the color she wants with a few squirts of Sun-In every few weeks or so to the top followed by warming with the hair dryer. Her hair looks AWESOME!
How would that react with the henna on the rest of the hair I wonder? I am picturing mai-tai/ tequilla sunset colored hair as a result. Pretty as a drink, not so much on hair.

Sylvanas
September 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Your virgin hair looks golden blonde - and beautiful - to me :)

Keep in mind that the length will gradually lighten, but still blend in with the roots, as your hair keeps growing, giving the overall appearance of a lighter colour. The dyed part of your hair will also play tricks on your eyes, when you see your virgin colour right next to it. I really wouldn't do anything when you've gotten this far. Give it some more time, I say.

That being said, you're the person who's meant to be happy with your hair, not me. If you want to change the colour - go for it! I only decided to comment because your natural colour looks so pretty (and I can see it getting even better as it keeps growing out). Over a year is a long time, so please be sure you really want to dye or bleach your virgin hair at this stage.

Chiara
September 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Oh, I think your natural hair colour looks pretty, too!

I think that Rini, a member here, used Elumen to cope with growing out henna and going back to blonde hair. Her hair looks great, maybe see if you can have a look at her album?

kittensoupnrice
September 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I love your natural, but I know you don't.

Piping in to say that I also really like your natural hair color!
But you already knew that. :bounce:

Joliebaby
September 20th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Your hair looks like medium golden/neutral blonde to me. It's gorgeous! Sigh.
Think about dyeing your natural hair long and hard after getting this far...
If you do decide to do something I suggest also either temporary color, elumen, or some very subtle highlights (they might help blend the hennaed ends to the roots too) The sun-in suggestion might be just right for you as well! Nightshade also used sun-in to remove henna, so it might help to lighten the ends closer to you natural color.
At least stay very close to your natural shade if you must do something. That way if you have regrets it's easier to start growing the natural hair again :D

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 01:10 AM
Hi! Hairstylist here! I can echo what everyone else has said about having to bleach the henna, and if you want to get rid of it, that's what you'll have to do. As for your virgin hair, you can do whatever with that, and probably get very little damage. You could go several shades lighter, and to a more golden blonde on the virgin hair with a simple hair colour application, but, you'd still have all that red henna at the ends. If you're okay with a much more obvious line of demarcation as we call it, then I guess that is the way to go.

Are you interested in a DIY job, or are you considering getting it professionally done?

I can give you advice for either situation, just let me know.

Personally, and from a professional standpoint, I think in the end, you'd be happier either leaving your hair as is, or bleaching the henna to try and get a closer match to the colour you're going to dye the virgin hair, rather than just lightening the virgin hair, however, you'll know best if that is the case.

Good luck, and let me know if you'd like colour and brand advice for a DIY attempt.

Hi!
I'm inclined to a DIY job, as the hairstylists here are way over my student budget. :o

I added to the original post (I was a bit unclear, I realized that) that I will let the henna grow out/trimmed away in time. So I won't do anything other that wait. :D
As for the virgin hair, I'd be happy with just a blonder shade, not necessarily a lighter one. So if there's deposit-only or other kind of non-permanent dye I could use to just try it out.

I'd love to hear some brand-recommendation! And colour advise as well! I'm a total newbie at this... :D

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 01:25 AM
Thank you Sylvanas, Chiara, kittensoupnrice and Joliebaby, for the moral support and suggestions! :flower:

As for sun-in, I have no idea what that is... :D

Toadstool
September 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM
Confuzled cos to me your hair is blonde, so am unsure what colour you want.
I totally understand wanting a different colour from your natural one. Me too so I henna. Loads of people here have long dyed hair so go for it if that's what you want!

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM
Confuzled cos to me your hair is blonde, so am unsure what colour you want.
I totally understand wanting a different colour from your natural one. Me too so I henna. Loads of people here have long dyed hair so go for it if that's what you want!

I want it to be more towards blonde, as it's pretty much in between blonde and brown now. The pictures doesn't really show it that good though.

Henna served me well for five years :D But now I really want to try blonde again. But my natural hair disappointed me. >.<

Svenja
September 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM
OT: Your hair looks like a wheat field on a crisp autumn morning, when the sun has not quite come up yet. It's beautiful! Can we swap? Please?!

Anlbe
September 21st, 2010, 02:50 AM
So, after over a year of growing out henna, I've tried to appreciate my natural colour. I've tried real hard to accept and love it. I've even tried to delude myself into liking it. But, in the end, I don't. I despise it!
My dream hair is the colour I had as a little girl, golden blonde and light.

Me too! I wish I could have back the golden colour I had pre teen and have spent many years experimenting with different methods of trying to get there. I've done a bit of honey lightening, usually to brighten my roots in the middle of winter, but it doesn't do enough. I also use the phyto colouring shampoo which does a great job of brightening my lengths but again isn't really enough.
My personal experience is that I've had to embrace the evil chemicals to lighten. Saying that it's not cause any damage problems except when I've and highlights over highlights. One disastrous occurrence of that three years ago is still slowly growing out and causing excessive damage, stupid stupid me.

But ignoring that disaster I've otherwise found that lightening my hair didn't actually damage the quality, before that incident people actually use to ask me what products I used because all my hair seemed so healthy. What works for me is using an aveda salon (which to my amateur eye seems gentler). Also I have an excellent colourist who puts in very fine highlights that people think are natural even when I have three inch roots. I always have full head of highlights and only go twice a year to keep the cost down and the risk of accidental overlaps to a minimum.

I hope you find something that works for you as well.

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 03:24 AM
OT: Your hair looks like a wheat field on a crisp autumn morning, when the sun has not quite come up yet. It's beautiful! Can we swap? Please?!

Aww, thanks ^^ If your hair is naturally light blonde, then it's a deal! ;)

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 03:30 AM
Me too! I wish I could have back the golden colour I had pre teen and have spent many years experimenting with different methods of trying to get there. I've done a bit of honey lightening, usually to brighten my roots in the middle of winter, but it doesn't do enough. I also use the phyto colouring shampoo which does a great job of brightening my lengths but again isn't really enough.
My personal experience is that I've had to embrace the evil chemicals to lighten. Saying that it's not cause any damage problems except when I've and highlights over highlights. One disastrous occurrence of that three years ago is still slowly growing out and causing excessive damage, stupid stupid me.

But ignoring that disaster I've otherwise found that lightening my hair didn't actually damage the quality, before that incident people actually use to ask me what products I used because all my hair seemed so healthy. What works for me is using an aveda salon (which to my amateur eye seems gentler). Also I have an excellent colourist who puts in very fine highlights that people think are natural even when I have three inch roots. I always have full head of highlights and only go twice a year to keep the cost down and the risk of accidental overlaps to a minimum.

I hope you find something that works for you as well.

I'm glad you successfully got closer to your goal without too much damage! :)

Since I joined LHC, I got the typical salon-anxiety. I don't want to become yet another victim of bad hairdresser/stylist. Neither can I afford it. <.<
So I think this will be DIY project. Maybe highlights will be a good solution as well. :)

pepperminttea
September 21st, 2010, 03:31 AM
I'm afraid I've no clue on dyes; I'm just joining in the love for your natural colour, even though it sadly isn't your cup of tea. If it's any consolation though, my hair usually looks a different colour near my roots, despite being all virgin hair - it looks more brown at the roots, and has more of an auburn tinge in the length. Your natural colour might surprise you, you never know. :)

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 03:33 AM
I'm afraid I've no clue on dyes; I'm just joining in the love for your natural colour, even though it sadly isn't your cup of tea. If it's any consolation though, my hair usually looks a different colour near my roots, despite being all virgin hair - it looks more brown at the roots, and has more of an auburn tinge in the length. Your natural colour might surprise you, you never know. :)

Yeah, I've been hoping for that as well, that the hair is lighter on the length. Although, if the rest of my familys hair is any clue to how mine might look, then sadly no, it won't lighten up. >.<

I won't do any drastical changes yet until I've seen more of it. A temporary blonde dye might be what I am going for. :)

cdt
September 21st, 2010, 03:50 AM
I have a rather similar natural colour and I know the feeling - I don't like it (I like it on other people but not on me). Being a natural medium golden blonde as you, I can share some recommendations. As someone previously said, the "killer" is bleach on bleach which a hairdresser did to me due to lowlights that turned green/grey and needed to be bleached back to blonde (disaster). But if you only do very fine subtle highlights at the regrowth area - ensuring that the hairdresser only leave it on for a short period of time ( it is not difficult to lighten our type of hair).

So, If I were you, I would get very fine highlights, ensuring that they use colour and not too much bleach. I can recommend the new INOA system (www.inoa.co.uk) it is free from ammonia and uses oil which is better. Pick a light colour since you are already blond. (I think your hair would also look great if you added some red lowlights as well - it would blend the regrowth with the henna). If your hairdresser have kerastase treatments, do a treatment after the colour as well - it will make all the difference!

If you want to do it at home:
For highlights that are less damaging, I have used loreal couleur-experte (it is the two- step system, intended to first colour your hair and highlight over it. The step two part (highlights) are therefore more subtle and less harsh that most highlight systems that you can buy. Use only the highlights and through away the colour - (a "double process" is only necessary for people that need to lighten up their base colour which you don't need ). The "highlights only" in the pack will work well since you are already blonde.

Good luck!

trillcat
September 21st, 2010, 03:58 AM
I won't do any drastical changes yet until I've seen more of it. A temporary blonde dye might be what I am going for. :)
You can't go lighter with a temporary dye. You can darken, alter the shade, but you can't lighten it. Only some form of bleaching will do that. I wish this was not so, I would have my former childhood blondie blonde hair back if it were just that easy!
Don't let the box dyes fool you, they want your money, you CANNOT lighten with dye.
ETA: some dyes have peroxide, to open the hair cuticle so the dye takes better, so be aware, you may end up orange

cdt
September 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM
Sorry - I forgot to tell you - you could try the John Frieda Sheer blond Highlight Activating Moisturising Shampoo - Platinum to Champagne. It makes my hair (including roots) look blonder but it has no bleach or any damaging properties so it could be worth a try!

Here is the link to more info:

http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/products_sheer_blonde_shampoo_moisturising_pc.asp

Maddy25
September 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM
I'm another one adding that I think your natural colour rocks :D I'm a natural ash blonde and my hair is always darker at the roots and gets really light as it grows. Another idea is to grow out your natural colour and then add highlights or something if it still isnt as light as you want it.

MsBubbles
September 21st, 2010, 06:32 AM
I'm confused here:

As for the virgin hair, I'd be happy with just a blonder shade, not necessarily a lighter one. So if there's deposit-only or other kind of non-permanent dye I could use to just try it out.

I want it to be more towards blonde, as it's pretty much in between blonde and brown now.

So you're saying you don't want it lighter in the first quote, but that you want to go more blonde from brown in the 2nd quote. I guess you mean you just want it a teeny tiny bit lighter?

At first (first quote) I was going to suggest a dye like champagne-blonde type colors, or some more honey/red blonde color, but those wouldn't lighten your hair necessarily.

Other than that I agree with others that you can't really lighten it without stripping some color out...but it wouldn't take much because your nat'l color is already light. I like it :D.

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I'm confused here:

So you're saying you don't want it lighter in the first quote, but that you want to go more blonde from brown in the 2nd quote. I guess you mean you just want it a teeny tiny bit lighter?

At first (first quote) I was going to suggest a dye like champagne-blonde type colors, or some more honey/red blonde color, but those wouldn't lighten your hair necessarily.

Other than that I agree with others that you can't really lighten it without stripping some color out...but it wouldn't take much because your nat'l color is already light. I like it :D.

I know I sound confusing :D
What I mean is that I don't mind that much having a blonder colour, in this shade of lightness. This mishmash of blonde and brown is making my hair appear almost a bit greyish, as seen on the first picture. I would like it to go more towards the blonde side than the brown, as in a more yellow/golden tone, not lighter. I hope this clears it a bit.

Joliebaby
September 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
If you don't want to go lighter, just alter the shade toward more warm blonde (which is what I gather you mean by "blonder") then a temporary color in a golden blonde shade would work, and it would also wash out in case you don't like it.

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 07:02 AM
If you don't want to go lighter, just alter the shade toward more warm blonde (which is what I gather you mean by "blonder") then a temporary color in a golden blonde shade would work, and it would also wash out in case you don't like it.

Yes, that's what I mean. :)
Thanks! I'll try to find a good brand.

Maddy25
September 21st, 2010, 07:41 AM
I know I sound confusing :D
What I mean is that I don't mind that much having a blonder colour, in this shade of lightness. This mishmash of blonde and brown is making my hair appear almost a bit greyish, as seen on the first picture. I would like it to go more towards the blonde side than the brown, as in a more yellow/golden tone, not lighter. I hope this clears it a bit.

Have you concidered a henna gloss? If you mix a tiny bit of henna with cassia it would give you warmer tones as well as not damage.

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Have you concidered a henna gloss? If you mix a tiny bit of henna with cassia it would give you warmer tones as well as not damage.

I have actually considered to give that a try. :)
But first I need henna and cassia, which is no longer available here. However, I've asked a store to get that in stock, so might be a probable option soon. :)

Maddy25
September 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM
I have actually considered to give that a try. :)
But first I need henna and cassia, which is no longer available here. However, I've asked a store to get that in stock, so might be a probable option soon. :)

awesome! I think it would work well as you'll also be making your hair stronger at the same time, lots of benefits :eyebrows:

Konstifik
September 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM
awesome! I think it would work well as you'll also be making your hair stronger at the same time, lots of benefits :eyebrows:

The thing that worries me is that henna is so permanent. I don't want to take too much of it so it goes red again. >.<