PDA

View Full Version : One Braid -The Safest Hair Style for Long Hair?

Red_Wednesday
May 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Perhaps this has been posted some where before, if so - I apologize:flower:. But, I'm just curious - what is the safest hair style for long hair?

I know updos are supposed to be good, but then I'm told if you wear the updos too often you can get breakage - right:confused:? What about one long braid - is that any safer?

It seems to me that many people who have really long hair just wear it in one long braid and go, should I consider this a safer option?

If so, I'm going to have quite a few hair sticks to sell, LOL;).

Jason
May 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
It's my daily style. It keeps my hair pretty much tangle-free unlike a ponytail. I would say it's one of the best ways of protecting long hair.

Fillette
May 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
I am no expert here but I think a braid is a pretty safe hairstyle. The only thing I am concerned about is the tassle. As long as the ends of your hair are not constantly rubbing against the back of a chair (or mistreated in other similar scenarios) you should be fine.
That is just my 2 cents.

mommy2one05
May 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
what about after you braid your hair then putting it up...wouldn't that be just as safe or a bit safer? be sure whatever you are securing the end of the braid with is hair friendly , so it is not gonna be breaking off ends. For everyday I prefer a braid over an updo because my updos seem to be too tight. I thought updos were fairly safe but I think the danger is in if they are made too tight and twisted the same way everytime. Hope this helps and anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :)

freznow
May 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
There is breakage in every hair style. The motion of braiding will cause some (if extremely minute damage) and the elastic at the end definitely causes damage (though this can be minimized with nylon ones). And being down it gets into and rubs on EVERYTHING and so I don't consider it to be all that 'safe'.

If you put it in a bun and use an elastic, damage is there. If you use a clip, damage there too! There will be unavoidable damage in any hairstyle. Personally, I think the safest is a log roll held by a ficcare. Out of the way and not rubbing on things, and the ficcare doesn't seem to cause that much damage. I might be able to argue, though, that a cinnabun with sticks is 'safe', but I haven't been able to get that one to hold very long so I can't attest to it...

The best thing is to wear your hair in a different way often. That way you don't get constant friction in the same spot. Because whatever you do to it, if you put it up/braid it gently and use the right tools, one style is not going to be much more damaging than another.

HairColoredHair
May 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I think buns with Wavelength pins are pretty safe.

I tend to sit on the ends of my braids now if I'm not careful, the ends get into things, and it gets hooked on chairs... So for me, braids aren't the safest, 'lest they're wrapped about my head.

eresh
May 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
I think a not-too-tight bun is safer than a braid.
My braid will rub against my clothes, will get caught on things, I'll sit on it,
and it is very easy for some weirdo to sneak up behind you and *snip* it off...(yes, I'm paranoid ;))

Blueglass
May 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
A braid can be safe enough in some cases, but if you are around anything that may snag or catch your braid (like a go cart) or are fearful of any weirdos a bun is better.

shelleybean
May 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I actually don't feel like braids protect my hair very well. They tend to fuzz my hair out pretty quickly and it gets way too much contact with things like chairs, clothes, etc.

My safest hairdo is a bun wrapped as loosely as it can be and still be held up with a stick or fork.

Anje
May 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I think I find wrapped/knotted buns (as opposed to twisted buns) to be about the safest, as I don't get breakage or ugly puffy kinks like I notice with tightly twisted buns. (Note that I don't know whether the twisting causes breakage or just makes existing broken ends to stick out obviously.) I typically secure with wavelength pins or hairsticks -- something as wide as a Ficcare seems likely to cause some near-scalp breaks where the bottom slides in.

Braids are safe styles, but they do rub more than buns, the tie on the ends can definitely cause wear. They also have the unfortunate tendency of getting in trouble if they're not watched. They fall in paint cans, toilets, litter boxes, diapers, oil spills, fires, malevolent long-hair-haters with scissors, and so on.

akurah
May 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Braids aren't especially safe. I've read a story of another longhair who was wearing her hair in a long braid while gardening, and a family member who was pruning bushes accidentally snipped half of her braid, and she had to cut the rest of her hair to even up. She went from very long (at least tailbone) to rather short (I believe around shoulder).

I personally think the safest styles are those that keep close to your head--a wrapped braid, a bun, a french twist, etc.

Haith
May 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Braids aren't especially safe. I've read a story of another longhair who was wearing her hair in a long braid while gardening, and a family member who was pruning bushes accidentally snipped half of her braid, and she had to cut the rest of her hair to even up. She went from very long (at least tailbone) to rather short (I believe around shoulder).

How awful! :cry:

I feel that the most protective style for my hair is probably a braid wound over my head, or a cinnamon bun secured with hair pin.

lovingmyhair
May 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
The safest style for my hair seems to be a braided bun.

FrannyG
May 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Single braids are a very safe style, and braided buns even safer. Do remember not to braid your hair when wet though, because your hair is so elastic, and more prone to breakage from the braiding motion. If you need a safe style for wet hair, I'd just go with a plain cinnabun.

If you want braid waves, wet the braid after you make it.

kimberlily
May 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I think a not-too-tight bun is safer than a braid.
My braid will rub against my clothes, will get caught on things, I'll sit on it,
and it is very easy for some weirdo to sneak up behind you and *snip* it off...(yes, I'm paranoid ;))

I have to agree (though I'm not paranoid :lol: ) I find that a braid rubs on my clothes, creating really nasty tangles on the underside. Buns are much more hair-friendly for me.

DaveDecker
May 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Aside from accidents such as the one described by Akurah (yikes!), I am with Kimberlily on this one. Although I don't get so many tangles with the braid, there is certainly friction from the braid -- primarily against my shirt, and secondarily against seatbacks. I think the accumulated friction from the braid takes a toll on the hair (as evidenced by the rapid thinning I have below shoulderblade length). None of that friction occurs when the hair is worn up, such as it is when I am kicking around at home... :whistle:

blue_nant
May 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
what about after you braid your hair then putting it up...wouldn't that be just as safe or a bit safer? be sure whatever you are securing the end of the braid with is hair friendly , so it is not gonna be breaking off ends. For everyday I prefer a braid over an updo because my updos seem to be too tight. I thought updos were fairly safe but I think the danger is in if they are made too tight and twisted the same way everytime. Hope this helps and anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :)

I braid, then updo. The braid is too long to be "safe," as in a braid it still gets into things, shut in things, dragged on the floor, trowelled into the ground, etc.

Depending on the activity, braid or braid and up.

Having said that, I sometimes just put it up w/o the braid, but i love the braid in non-work circumstances, heh, so I like the convertible style of braid-in-a-do.

ginalaurie
May 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
My fine hair is really prone to mechanical damage, so I've experimented and found a few things that seem to protect it more than others. First, I wear a single braid down the back a lot, but a side braid over one shoulder seems to be more protected than one down my back. Also, I tie it off with a piece of little girls opaque tights that I cut in 1 or 2 inch strips. These are really hair friendly and cheap to make. They're stretchy, completely seamless, and just glide right out of my hair when I'm ready to take it out. And when I tie it off, I don't wind the tie over and over in one spot. I layer it down the braid to spread the pressure out. I also vary the spot where I put the tie.

I try to vary my hairstyles, so I wear a braided bun put up with amish hair pins. I don't push the hairpins in all the way because that causes crimping. I leave them out about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.

I also do a log roll secured with a ficcare; however, before I use a ficcare, my husband sort of "mutilates" them by removing the jagged teeth. Those teeth were killers to my hair. I kept finding shed hairs with all these jagged crimps in them. I find that the ficcares hold just as well without the teeth and no more crimps.

Wow! REading over this, I realize that I do baby my hair quite a bit, but it's never been this long before and so either these things are just "superstitious rituals" or they're really helping, but either way they're working for me.

Tangles
May 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
I think a well-done French braid is the most beautiful hairstyle because it shows the length, frames the face wonderfully, and protects the hair, all at once.

As far as being "safe," though--there's no way to keep hair safe 24/7. We might as well lock ourselves in air-tight, gravity free vaults and hang upside down all day. Seriously though, while I respect that many of you try to protect fragile locks, there's something to be said for being carefree and just enjoying your length. <3

Cinnamon.locks
May 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I would also say a braid is a safe way to protect long hair, unless it is below classic, then i think a braid and a small bending the ends up and under to tie them to the length of the braid would be safer for ultra long hair. ( below classic, which in my opinion, is the most in danger of accidents like sitting on the length or getting it caught on something.) i have been wearing my hair in a braid every day for over a year, it is comfy and easy to deal with besides making it easier to untangle hair when necessary.

but you must brush or comb hair every day to make sure hair is tangle free, had a bad experience when i went 4 days without brushing and had to cut a super bad tangle, meaning i cut a strand of about 12 inches long and 1/2 inch wide off the top of my head.

trolleypup
May 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Personally, I think a covered bun is about the safest...a braid still can get caught on things and rub on clothing and other things. A bun avoids all that, and if it is covered, it is protected from almost everything.

The harshest situation I find myself in is volunteer trailwork, and I have my hair entirely covered in a ponyscrub. In general, my hair is up in a lazy bun, which doesn't move or pull, so probably avoids most damage.

jojo
May 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I think buns with Wavelength pins are pretty safe.

I tend to sit on the ends of my braids now if I'm not careful, the ends get into things, and it gets hooked on chairs... So for me, braids aren't the safest, 'lest they're wrapped about my head.
Now that's just showing off;) I'm only joking, i can only dream of the day I sit on my braid!

Back to the question, I think a braid is a pretty safe option as long as its not done tightly.

Amara
May 24th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I agree with what others have said here that your best bet is to rotate between several safe styles. That way whatever minimal damage anything causes will only be happening SOME of the time.

Life causes damage to hair. Enjoying your hair, whether that's wearing it down, wearing it up, brushing it, feeling it blow in the wind, giving your scalp a good scritch, or WHATEVER, causes damage. Think of it less as damage and just the normal process of things. Do what you can and more importantly, what you WANT do protect it, and then enjoy it. The best thing you can do to protect your hair (if by protect you mean grow/keep it long and healthy) is to love it. If you wear it in one style all that time that you're not all that fond of, sooner or later I'll bet you'd cut it off.

Rae~
May 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Seriously though, while I respect that many of you try to protect fragile locks, there's something to be said for being carefree and just enjoying your length. <3

Actually, I enjoy my length just fine, thank you, whether I wear my hair loose, in a braid or in an updo. :)

In regards to the OP's question: in my experience, with my hair, I find a not-too-tight updo (cinnabun, wrap-knot bun, logroll etc) to be the most protective. My braid can get fuzzy and tangly very quickly.

spidermom
May 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
When I wear a single braid down my back, it swings around and the shorter, more fragile hairs around the nape of my neck knot up. So no - this isn't a particularly protective style for me. Two braids fare better. Coiling the braid into a bun or wrapping the two braids around my head is probably most protective. I braid all the way to the tip-end, then wrap with a short segment of ribbon, and secure my elastic over that - so no worries about damage to the ends.

physicschick
May 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
When I wear a single braid down my back, it swings around and the shorter, more fragile hairs around the nape of my neck knot up. So no - this isn't a particularly protective style for me.

Do you think you get breakage at your nape from this? I have lots of short hairs at my nape, and this is my current theory for how they got that way (especially if I've been wearing a braid during exercise).

I don't think a braid is as protective as most buns are, but comfort is also a factor. I'll continue wearing my hair braided frequently because it's the most comfortable style for me. However, I do alternate with buns.

Dulci
May 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
A single braid is my daily style, I sleep in it too. I bring it over my shoulder when I'm sitting, and wind it up into a bun when I'm working outside etc. I think it is the most protective style for me, as I can't manage to make buns with loose hair, it has to be contained in a braid first.

Angellen
May 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I would think that the most protective 'style' would be wearing a well-crafted snood or, if your hair isn't too long, a veil. The hair requires minimal manipulation, and is protected by the fabric.

I would think that the actual 'style' that is the most protective would be something that requires little (or no) twisting and braiding. Maybe a carefully done Chinese bun?

I'm going to be even more wary when inserting my ficcares now...

lorig713
May 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
A single braid is the safest style for me.

spidermom
May 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Do you think you get breakage at your nape from this? I have lots of short hairs at my nape, and this is my current theory for how they got that way (especially if I've been wearing a braid during exercise).

Yes, I am quite sure that I do. Also from pulling my hair into a top-of-head bun, then tossing and turning on my silky pillowcase. I get lots of splits there and have to cut out some knots. My nape hair is thrashed!

physicschick
May 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, I am quite sure that I do. Also from pulling my hair into a top-of-head bun, then tossing and turning on my silky pillowcase. I get lots of splits there and have to cut out some knots. My nape hair is thrashed!

I'm sorry to hear this but kind of glad I'm not the only one. The worst thing is that because of all the short nape hairs, they fall out of my braids and make me look unkempt. (They tend to stay better in buns.) So the braid isn't even a flattering style for me. Still, it is comfortable, so I will stick with it.

bugeyedmonster2
May 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I wear hats often, so I usually braid. One thing I do if I'm sitting (and there is worry about my hair getting messed up between chair and shirt) is wind it up with a satin scrunchie. My hair is usually near my neck when I do this. I find that if I use a twisty bun, when I take my hair down, my ends are all tangled. This doesn't happen in a braid.

(^_^)/
BEM

Curlsgirl
May 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
A single braid is my FAVORITE though I think if I could wear more UPdos it would be more protective for my hair. I get hair headaches SO easlily though that braids really just are the most comfy. Also other upds are bumpy when I sit back in the car or lying down for exercise on weight equipment etc. I don't have to worry about that with a braid. Also I really don't get tangle at all with a braid. I always oil it and spitz it well especially the tassle. I also use nylon hairbands most often and vary the position that I tie it off. I like french braids too but it is so much easier to redo if I need to with a regular English braid.

Chamomilemaiden
May 26th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I&#180;ve found buns more protective for me because braid rubs again my back, chair etc. All the shorter hair stick out and I usually have to redo my braid more often than a bun. I also tend to play with my hair in braid more.

honeybunch
May 26th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Braids are great, but I would think buns would be better for really long hair.

Ursula
May 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM
"Safest" is relative, and depends on the situation, and what you are doing.

I wouldn't worry about breakage from buns, provided you are using a good quality tool to keep it up. My hair is up in a bun practically every day, and I've noticed no particular damage. This doesn't have to be an expensive tool - a handful of Amish pins will do the job.

A single braid is good if you have to wear some sort of hat - most hats won't fit over buns, and if safety requires a hardhat, then a single braid is quite compatable.

As far as short hairs at the nape go - you'll have some short hairs all over your head, naturally, as a result of the normal shed/regrowth cycle. For most of your head, these will be held down by the longer hairs, particularly when your hair is up in a bun. But around the edge of your hairline, such as at your nape, there aren't sufficient long hairs to hold down the short hairs, so they'll stick out a bit. Completely normal and not necessarily a sign of breakage or damage. If you don't like the look, you can hold those down with bobby pins, or use a touch of gel to smooth things out.

Red_Wednesday
May 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
So it seems like it really just depends on the person.

I like the idea of rotating through styles rather than wearing it the same way everyday. Updos are nice, but personally I'm finding that the longer my hair gets the heavier it feels when I put it up. It seems that I'm risking more damage in an updos - especially if I put it in an updo with wet hair.

I think what I'm going to do it experiment for a while and wear it in a braid for a few weeks - protecting the tassel with a piece of soft material and see how it works.

Oh and I'm shocked that there are really random people out there who would purposely try to cut off someone else's hair:eek:. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Regarding the gardening "accident". Hmmm, doesn't sound like an accident to me - unless the lady with the long hair had her hair draped over the shrub and green highlights in her hair:rolleyes:. Personally, if it happened to me, I wouldn't consider that accidental - I know in my heart that there would always be some question in my mind as to whether the person who did it really meant to do it - but that's just me:shrug:.

sapphire-o
May 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I love the look of a single braid but don't wear it much. First it takes a couple minutes to do, a bun or a twist only take about 10 seconds. My hair is slippery so they tend to stick out everywhere after a while. Plus I'm a bit self-conscious about the taper. :) I do wear them if I want the safest hairstyle for active days. Buns and twists just don't survive running and jumping too well.

mommy2one05
May 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I would also say a braid is a safe way to protect long hair, unless it is below classic, then i think a braid and a small bending the ends up and under to tie them to the length of the braid would be safer for ultra long hair. ( below classic, which in my opinion, is the most in danger of accidents like sitting on the length or getting it caught on something.) i have been wearing my hair in a braid every day for over a year, it is comfy and easy to deal with besides making it easier to untangle hair when necessary.

but you must brush or comb hair every day to make sure hair is tangle free, had a bad experience when i went 4 days without brushing and had to cut a super bad tangle, meaning i cut a strand of about 12 inches long and 1/2 inch wide off the top of my head.

you said your hair has been worn in a braid everyday for over a year...so did it hinder your growth any?

<She>
May 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM
When I read the title I thought it was about safety of the hair in the outer world, and how to protect it against villains with scissors:run:
There are so many replies to your question and I agree with the points mentioned.
Now, in case you want to protect it from another living being, some kind of bun is good. A single braid runs the risk of being pulled or chopped:blueeek:
I am sorry if I have upset anyone with my post.

Red_Wednesday
May 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
When I read the title I thought it was about safety of the hair in the outer world, and how to protect it against villains with scissors:run:
There are so many replies to your question and I agree with the points mentioned.
Now, in case you want to protect it from another living being, some kind of bun is good. A single braid runs the risk of being pulled or chopped:blueeek:

Not upsetting to me:shrug: - sounds like good advice. Too bad it's something that even has to be considered:(.

honeybunch
May 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. :(

Priska
February 26th, 2022, 01:00 PM
How long can you keep one braid/two braids?..
I should make it again every morning and that's a shame, I think...

Kathie
February 26th, 2022, 04:22 PM
This is an interesting thread. I've started to wear my hair in a braid more often because I am seeing increased breakage from buns and ponytails. I find a braid is more comfortable too.

I'm looking forward to reaching the length where my hair is long enough to hold itself in a bun- rather than shorter where hair sticks or clips do all of the work. For me this seems to apply more strain.

Finda
February 26th, 2022, 04:41 PM
When I wear an english braid, and I do so often, I need to redo it at least once during the day. I have an incredible amount of shredding and tangles in the nape area, so I'm not so sure it's a less damaging choice than buns, for me at least. To answer your question, Priska, that really depends on your hair. If your braid looks still neat the next morning you can leave it in and see what's gonna happen.

Ylva
February 27th, 2022, 05:32 AM
How long can you keep one braid/two braids?..
I should make it again every morning and that's a shame, I think...

My advice would be to keep an eye on potential mats developing in the nape area and judge by that.

Kerrtu-Kevät
February 27th, 2022, 01:54 PM
I've always alternated English braids and just wearing it down without any issues. I'm not prone to nape tangles and it works for me because I find buns annoying and make my scalp sore

Aunt Rapunzel
February 27th, 2022, 03:08 PM
There are a lot of variables even for "safe" styles. I've seen people who braided their hair to have it protected, but braided it so tightly that over time (and repetition) they ended up with a lot of breakage. And the same goes for buns. I had a friend who wore her hair in a bun every day, but it was pulled back so tightly, she ended up with hair loss over time. With that being said, you just have to find out what works for YOUR hair. No particular hairstyle is going to be the perfect, "safe" hairstyle for every head of hair. But I agree with those who've said to vary your styles. Be gentle, enjoy your length...Protect it as best you can. :)

MusicalSpoons
February 27th, 2022, 03:29 PM
No chance, it's almost as bad as a ponytail for me (and this was the case even before LHC, I just didn't realise). The exposure of ends all throughout the length plus friction means my hair splits and dries out, and the shred means lots of hairs have the opportunity to tangle which they don't have in a bun. If I do wear a braid I tie the tassel off with ribbon (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3900292#post3900292) braided in near the end so there's no damage from securing it, but the tassel dries out and obviously at this length is just not possible to wear down without damage anyway.

My hair even prefers just a wrapped bun (held with a fork usually, though a stick/flexi/ficcare are all fine as well) to a braided bun :shrug: And it seems fine with the same bun for days on end too, no apparent need to vary it particularly.