PDA

View Full Version : Oily Scalp and Oily Face

AJoifulNoise
May 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I've been thinking about this for a couple of days. I'm fairly certain that I just naturally produce a lot of oil. Shampoo or not. Facial cleanser or not.

What I was thinking about was how it is said that shampoo strips the scalp and so it over-produces oil. I don't think that's my problem. Not only because I don't shampoo but once a week. But also because I only use water on my face and it produces a lot of oil all on it's own.

So, really, I was just wondering if any of you that have oily scalps also have oily faces. Purely out of curiousity.

Haith
May 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
I need (NEED) to wash my hair every other day because it gets soo oily. However, I have extremely dry skin every where else (face, arms, legs, etc). Funny, eh?

Leisha
May 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I have pretty oily skin on my face, but scalp isn't really oily. I only wash my hair once every week or two weeks.

virgo75
May 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I voted for "both."

I didn't realize just how oily my scalp was until I tried CO washing for about 1&1/2 - 2 years. I stopped over a year ago because I was losing hair in clumps and my scalp was constantly itchy and had gunk on it no matter how much I scrubbed, used brown sugar, or did ACV rinses. :(

Then I realized the skin on my scalp is still skin, just like on my face and the rest of my body. I couldn't see skipping taking a shower, skipping washing my face for days on end, or using lotion to wash my face/body(equivalent to CO washing). I've tried and the skin on my body and face responded horribly(dry scales because dead skin & sebum weren't removed, pimples on my face, etc.).

So now I shampoo almost every day and skip a day here and there to just do a CO wash in which I keep the conditioner away from my scalp and just rinse and apply conditioner to the length. My hair and scalp seem happier. I'm no longer losing clumps of hair. I don't have a gunky, itchy scalp, and my hair doesn't feel dry or weighed down. :)

Jeni
May 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I voted both. My face turns into an oil slick about 30 mins after I wash it. Oily skin runs in the family, but as my grandmother pointed out, we don't wrinkle as much as other people. I vote it's because of the extra oil (I may be delusional, but it makes me feel better). My scalp isn't as oily as my face, but it is definitely oily. When I was using chemical dyes I could go 2 days before the roots looked greasy, now I have to wash my hair everyday. :(

freznow
May 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Not very oily scalp, and I assume my face isn't oily, but I don't really have much to compare it with. (Neither area is dry, but neither area needs to be washed often. And both areas still have their 'issues' regardless of how often I wash.) so for me their is a correlation (even if it's not oily/oily)

flapjack
May 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
My mom and her side of the family have skin that's a bit oilier than normal. I inherited that so I have to wash my hair every other day and such. It's oily on both my skin and my scalp.

There are upsides and downsides to everything. Downsides are I HAVE to wash or at least rinse my hair out every other day and I've found that only lightweight, mineral powder works on my face to keep it from getting oily at the end of the day. Upsides- as Jeni said, we all look younger for longer, my hair is never too dry or static-like, I don't get split ends and I never get dandruff or dry, itchy, flaky or cracked skin anywhere.

DotDotDot
May 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I have an oily face and dry everything else, including my scalp.

intothemist1999
May 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
My face has always been really oily and so has my scalp hair. I'm about the only person I know who uses pressed powder.

Although my hair isn't so bad nowadays, the hair at the front of my head gets very oily from my face, I believe.

On the up side, I was told as a teen to be thankful for oily skin because it will get fewer wrinkles later in life. So far that seems to have been true! lol

Jeni
May 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Ok, glad to know I'm not the only one thinking there may be an upside to oily faces! It's funny though, as oily as my face and scalp are, the rest of my skin is bone dry.

AJoifulNoise
May 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm with ya'll that have oily faces or scalps and dry skin everywhere else. I wonder why that is.

But, to add insult to injury, rubbing lotion on dry skin does nothing for me. It never sinks in to my skin!

AprilElf
May 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Oily face and normal scalp here. The rest of my skin seems to be fairly normal too - neither oily or dry.

Sceleste
May 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Both my face and hair are oily. I have to wash my hair every other day if I want to look decent in public.

Oily hair isn't that big of a problem to be - I can always cover my hair with a bandana if necessary. But I would like the skin of my face to be less oily so I wouldn't have to wash my fringe every day (sometimes even two times a day). I'm growing my fringe out, and at the moment I have face framing layers. Even that my fringe isn't touching my forehead, the oiliest part of my face, it still gets really oily fast.

Also, makeup would last longer on dryer skin.

My mom keeps telling me that people with oily skin get less wrinkles, and that I should be glad not to have dry skin. She had oilier skin when she was younger but after she had me, at age 29, her skin got dryer. Now she's 54 and her skin isn't oily or dry, it's balanced.

Nat242
May 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Oily face and scalp here! I wash my hair every second day, and usually my fringe at least once between washes, because it gets more oily, more quickly.

--Natalie

AnneAdeline
May 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I have oily hair and an oily face. My hair doesn't bother me as much as my face because I can pull it back. But it gets annoying when my forehead is oily beyond all belief. I wash my face every day, but only my hair every four to five days.

honeybunch
May 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
My face is oil and so is my scalp. I have to buy special facial cleansers as a result. I also have a dandruff issue.

Delila
May 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM
After tons of experiments, I finally realized that my scalp and hair seem to prefer a routine of gentle but regular shampoo, with conditioning mostly on my length.

My face? for the last few years I've gotten along best with a salicylic face wash that seems pretty gentle. (The salicylic part helps keep my pores clear) I've been using one by Peter Thomas Roth, which is nicely cost-efficient, since I need such a tiny amount per face wash.

As for the rest of me, again, plain old soap and I get along just fine. Dry skin occurs on my body only when I go out of my way to create it. (i.e., using household cleansers without gloves, antibacterial hand washes, etc.)

soleluna
May 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
both for me

MermaidGirl
May 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Oily face and scalp here as well. Got that from my Italian mother, but if she is any indication, it is true what they say about oily skin slowing the wrinkling process!

ZaBasDa
May 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM
My face and my scalp are extremely oily. Having make-up disappear two hours after application because of facial oil is annoying.

talullah
May 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm a greaseball all over. Face is oily, scalp is oily, and even the rest of my body gets a little bit oily after a while. I must shower every day or my arms, chest, and back get oily. Yuck.

Trollkona
May 27th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Both my scalp and face is really oily :( Washing my hair everyday know beacuse of that. My face is quite ok if I use a mattifying moisturiser and some powder over my foundation.
The skin on my hands, legs and feet are really dry :S Strange

Palms
May 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Both!
besides having less wrinkles i heard that oily scalp means that the hair grows faster than others !!

Iylivarae
May 28th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I have quite oily hair (it gets gross greasy after 4 days, so I consider it as oily).

The skin on my face is actually pretty dry, but produces a lot of oil, so I didn't exactly know what to choose. It also sounds strange, but it is like... the skin almost hurts because it is so dry, and at the same time there are loads of oil on top...

Daoine Sidhe
May 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Both,

And my skin becomes oily a lot faster when my hair is oily too. If my hair is just washed, my skin will not get oily that fast.

And the more oily my hair is, the more blackheads I have on my skin.

cherryblossom
June 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
i too am a bit of a greaseball - when it comes to my head. My scalp gets really oily and so does my face. I do not have blackheads though, which is kind of weird i guess.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 07:25 AM
My scalp is oily, but not my face.
My scalp is kind of oily, I wash my hair every 3 days, so maybe it's normal. I have dandruff, too. Dry type.
My face was oily when I was a teenager and had acne. Now it's dry, or normal, leaning towards dry.

Talula
September 20th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I voted both. My face turns into an oil slick about 30 mins after I wash it. Oily skin runs in the family, but as my grandmother pointed out, we don't wrinkle as much as other people. I vote it's because of the extra oil (I may be delusional, but it makes me feel better). My scalp isn't as oily as my face, but it is definitely oily. When I was using chemical dyes I could go 2 days before the roots looked greasy, now I have to wash my hair everyday. :(

I have an oily face too, & wash my face multiple times a day(water-only for many, many years - just a wet washcloth) & like u, I don't really have wrinkles. People think I'm much younger than I am, they're usually pretty shocked by my age. I had one woman say I looked about 16 (I'm almost 44) and most people think 20's or early 30's. I've wondered if it's from all the oil, or maybe that I'm rarely in the sun. I like night-time & rainy/cloudy days. The sun bothers me.

My scalp takes a few days to get oily now that I CO wash. So I guess that's not considered oily? It was oily when I was a teenager, but I think I shampooed every day back then, which I'm sure encouraged the oil.

Chimom79
September 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have very oily scalp and face. I only shampoo about twice a week and have been for many months, but my hair is just as oily as ever. I HATE it. I wash usually at night, but by morning, my scalp hair is oily again. So I have to keep hair up all the time. I have tried all different methods and nothing seems to help. Its a constant thorn in my side. :sad:

sparrowswing
September 20th, 2012, 06:16 PM
My scalp is oily. My face crosses the whole spectrum. My nose is extremely oily. I have to wash my nose 3 times a day just so my glasses don't slide around too much. My cheeks are the tiniest bit dry. The skin between my eyebrows is excessively dry and flakes pretty badly if I don't moisturize regularly. My chin seems to bounce between oily and dry.

I'm glad I don't wear makeup, since I can't imagine the nightmare of finding something that would work for my whole face.

Kelikea
September 20th, 2012, 06:24 PM
My face was oilier than my scalp, but OCM has really helped balance that out. My scalp is very sensitive. Wash it too much, it is dry and flaky. Skip a wash/stretch washes, it is itchy and gunky. Its a very delicate balance, especially when working out and getting super sweaty. It usually only looks greasy if I don't wash for more than 3 days.