PDA

View Full Version : Do you get attached to your hairtoys?

christine1989
September 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Yesterday my much beloved claw clip that I have had for nearly 2 years broke :(. I brought it back to Nordstroms today to see what they could do about it. I was really hoping they could fix the spring on my old one but they said they could only give me a new one for free. Although the new clip is identical to the old one I am still sad to part with it. It sounds strange but I have had so many good times with that clip. It was with me 24/7 for 2 years afterall!

Does anyone else form attachments to their favorite hair toys or am I just odd?

TinaDenali
September 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I don't think that's odd!

That's wonderful Nordy's gave you another one for free!!!

I have this one headband that I got in a pack when I was about 7 or 8 years old. All these years (I'm almost 25!!) and I still have the brown one. I'd be devastated if it broke :(

squiggyflop
September 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM
i get very attached to my self made hairtoys.. i remember how much work they were to make and how proud i was when i made them

Arianwen
September 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I am over-attached to my hair toys...lol

Jezerellica
September 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah. I have a vintage pink plastic bow hair fork that I broke. Since it is for children, no surprise there. I have kept the pieces because I loved it so much. Sigh. I mean, what am I going to do with this? I should just throw it out!!!

Carolyn
September 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'm like that with not only hair toys but many of my possessions.

paperwhite
September 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I'm with Carolyn on this one. I've definitely become attached to different hair toys, but I'm also very much emotionally attached to other things--my mother's cedar chest, my flute (I don't care how frequent/infrequently I play, I'll never part with it), and a few family related things. I think it's perfectly normal to form emotional attachments to material things.

RachelRain
September 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I've only been attached to one - it was a purple and silver sparkle claw clip that managed to hold my hair (when it was at hip) even if I folded it double. I slept over a friend's place in college and someone stole it. I've yet to find one that can do the same - I'm convinced that was the only one lol

Phexlyn
September 20th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I'm with Carolyn on this one. I've definitely become attached to different hair toys, but I'm also very much emotionally attached to other things--my mother's cedar chest, my flute (I don't care how frequent/infrequently I play, I'll never part with it), and a few family related things. I think it's perfectly normal to form emotional attachments to material things.
This. I still miss a pair of boots from my childhood, they were just fabulous ;)

I'm very attached to a certain hairstick, although I don't wear it very often because it's on the long side and has danglies (which annoys the hell out of my colleagues and certain friends), but I bought it while on holiday last year and each time I look at it it makes me smile and think of that wonderful time :)

I'm sorry your claw clip broke, it's awful when you have to part with a loved hairtoy (or any other cherished possession).

FrannyG
September 20th, 2010, 04:02 AM
You are not odd. I am not attached to all of my hairtoys, but some of them are extremely dear to me. They're not always the more expensive ones, but they are the ones that have meaning to me in some way.

PrincessBob
September 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I get very attached to my hair-toys. Like a badger with it's kits. Frankly it is probably an extension of my overprotectiveness of my hair, as I have a tender scalp-- you've probably seen me rant about it before-- so anything I deem worthy of my head becomes my precious.

I find it endearing that you feel so bad to part with your clip. Having had something extremely dear lost and later replaced (my Gothic plush Cthulhu doll) I know that the new one just isn't the same as the one you loved. You will grow fond of the new one, though, I promise.

AgnesONutter
September 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I also get overly attached to certain things, like hairtoys or pens. They just hold so many memories, and I sort of...trust them, to work for me. Sometimes it is an almost comforting feeling, seeing something old in a drawer even if I very seldom use it, that sort of grounds and roots me to my past in the now, if that makes sense?

rags
September 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I am quite attached to some of my hairtoys (though not all). The ones that are reliable, that work all the time, I'm extremely attached to. I think I'd probably cry if I broke my indigo 60th Street fork! Or any of my ketylos. And then I have some I could sell tomorrow and not really miss. :shrug: They just didn't "click". I think I have too many hairtoys! :p

sophiamarie
September 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Although I really don't have all that many, I am unusually attached to a smallish barrette
I use almost daily to clip the front and sides of my hair back in what I think you call a "half-up". It is not even an expensive barrette. It looks like an antique silver finish. I love it because it
holds my hair so well, is neither too big or too small, and for whatever reason, I love it. I missplaced it awhile back and missed it terribly. It showed up in one of my purses. I must have taken it out and put it in there. I'm back to wearing it everyday!

christine1989
September 20th, 2010, 10:08 PM
@ RachelRain: Doubling my hair in half then clipping it up was excatly how my clip broke :(. I had done it a hundred times but that time the spring just snapped. It really isn't easy to find a clip that will hold folded over hair.

Aliped
September 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM
i get very attached to my self made hairtoys.. i remember how much work they were to make and how proud i was when i made them

Oh yeah, me too! Plus, I know how exactly much each individual bead cost (feels guilty) ....

candlesandfish
September 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm very attached to mine - I had a claw clip that I could fold my hair up into and it would hold it and it broke last summer and I was very upset :( I haven't been able to find the same one since...

My favourite hairstick is very special to me since DBF bought it for me on a business trip that turned out to be very very good for him so it has those memories... besides, it's the best one i have for pencil and chinese braids :D

(does anyone know where to find flat hairsticks online? this one is flat but reasonably thick (so it's strong) and I love it to pieces)

restourceful
September 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
I'm another attached to other things than just hairtoys. Paperwhite, I'm attached to my mother's cedar chest as well, for more reasons than one. She had painted in royal blue back in the early 1970's, and I recently restored it and have it in my dining room with one of my handmade baskets holding an antique quilt on it. That chest still holds all the things she put into in over the years. But my favorite hairtoys are the ones I've made, so I'm with Squiggy there. The ones from our own trees are especially dear since it was our own blood, sweat, and tears that brought me the wood in the first place.

pepperminttea
September 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
I get attached to things as well, and definitely with hair toys too. I bought my first pair of hairsticks when I was away with a friend who's since died. A bead on one of the sticks has broken, and half of it has been lost to the either; the other half is rather ungainly held in place with a blob of glue. Still never going to get rid of them though.

mariika
September 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Three years ago I had this decorated oversized vintage bobby pin with beautiful blue swarovski stones of the most fascinating shade of blue I ever saw. I was really attached to it, I wore it as often as about every other day, and was REALLY upset when I broke :(
I still think of it. Talk about getting attached to one's hairtoys.

LittleOrca
September 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
I definitely am more attached to some of my hair toys over others. Some of my hair sticks, which are just decorative chopsticks I picked up at various markets, I could give up if I had to, not that I want to, but I could do it. However, there are others that I love too much to even think about parting with them. Most of those were gifts to me and are special, such as my AB Crystal Ficcare my fiancé got for me for our one year engagement anniversary.

Merewen
September 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I hear you. I broke a hair stick I really liked the other day. I stood there going "No! No! No!" for a bit and still haven't managed to make myself toss it.

It was my first real hairstick. :(

So that would be a yes. I get attached. If it had been one of my special ones from DH I probably would have cried.

eamane
September 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Oh yes, especially some of them! I had a purple fakkare that I loved but one of my kids got a hold of it and it broke :( And then there are a few hair sticks that I am very careful not to leave out for the kids to play with...

Bene
September 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
I still have my first hair stick. Well, the remains of it. It was hanging out on the bed, and someone kneeled directly on it and SNAP!

It was a white bone Quecraft, and they don't make that style any more :(

going gray
September 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM

Yes I agree with both of you, especially as I get older, my "things" become more important to me. Even when I cut my hair really short back in summer of '09, I cherished my hairtoys.

Angeletti
September 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Certain ones I'm attached to while others not so much. I have some that are homemade and unique and probably wouldn't be able to replace them so I tend to be attached to those. Also any that cost a lot I would tend to get upset about if something happened to them, like my Ficcare that is supposed to be arriving any day now. As for claw clips and things of that nature I figure I can just go easily buy more if they break or get lost.

adiapalic
September 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Yes. But that's not saying much, because I get attached to practically everything I have. I'm not very Zen. :o