PDA

View Full Version : Cinnabuns and Tapers

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hi Ya'll!

So I've been having a little frustration with my hair lately and I hope someone can give me advice. I have below waist-length hair (I'm maybe three months away from hip length! yay!) and unfortunately there is a severe taper in the last foot or so. I think it was caused by pony-tail damage. Actually, I rather hope it was caused by pony-tail damage, because damage can be grown out. Otherwise, I may have to accept that my hair just *does* that.

Anyway, I've been having trouble making cinnamon buns and I think the taper is to blame. When I make a bun, the thick part of my hair makes one-and-a-quarter circles, and then the taper begins. The taper keeps trying to duck underneath the inner circle, like a bee-butt bun. I have tried putting pins into the first circle so the taper can't go underneath, but then what happens is that there's not enough hair in the outer ring for me to sufficiently tuck in the ends.

Advice? Commiseration?

KaeleyAnne
May 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
My hair tapers as well, and the outside circles like to slip under the inside circles. The thing that I've found to help the most is to push the bun flat against my head with the palm of my hand as I'm making the bun so that the outer circles don't slide under the inner circle. It has definitely helped my cinnabuns look more like cinnabuns than bee-but buns. This is a horrible description - I saw a video awhile ago that helped me figure out what to do - I'll post it if I can find it.

ETA: Here's the link to the thread - I knew it was one of eadwine's videos! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3413 She doesn't have a taper, but holding the loops against my head somewhat like she does has worked well for me.

sapphire-o
May 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
That's why I usually do the Gibraltar bun, you pull the thicker first coil around the thinner coils. :) To be honest my tapered part is so thin you can hardly tell it's not a cinnamon bun. Overall it just looks like a bun with slightly loose center.

LeaM07
May 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm in pretty much the same boat, except that mine's longer. This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754&pictureid=8062) is as close as I can get. It looks like a bee butt, but it's a cinnabun, pinned a bit at a time as you describe.

Once your hair gets a little longer, having a bit of taper at the end is actually kind of handy for anchoring purposes. It slides underneath like a bee butt, but doesn't really add bulk.

I also kind of like the effect my taper has on braided buns (see my album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754), this blog entry (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=6989), and my avatar for pics).

You might also want to try a half-up, doing multiple buns, or maybe starting with a half-up and bunning the rest around it.

Good luck! :flowers:

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'm in pretty much the same boat, except that mine's longer. This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754&pictureid=8062) is as close as I can get. It looks like a bee butt, but it's a cinnabun, pinned a bit at a time as you describe.

You know, I saw that pic last night when I was cruising the albums, and I thought, "That makes me feel so much better! Maybe . . .someday . . .when my hair is as long as hers, I can make a cinnabun like that!" :)

Thanks to all the replies so far.

sapphire-o, I am Gibraltar-challenged. I can't 'get' written directions, and so I'm waiting for the Youtube video to come out. (Remember the old days, before we were posting on Youtube, when all we had was slide-slows?)

KaelyAnne, I do hold the bun flat, as you recommend. However, I then find it hard to get the pins to grab all the right parts of the bun and what ends up happening is that the outer circle is anchored while the inner circle starts to flop around . . . until I have a loop of hair dangling out of the center of my bun. Oooo, I have invented a new hairstyle! XD Being Hairpin-challenged is a subject for a whole other post. sigh.

Nightshade
May 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
You also may want to take a crack at the Equilibrium Bun (link in my siggy). It's the same as a Cinnabun, but you fold the hair in half and twist it first, that way you lay the thickest hair against the thinnest and it evens the bun out all the way around. It's also very easy, very fast, and holds well. :flowers:

frizzinator
May 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
If you have a fork with prongs at least as long as your bun is wide, and use your hands to keep the bun flat like KaeleyAnne suggested, then after tucking the end under, you can insert the fork in the outer coil, follow the scalp and try to lift up and catch a little hair from an inside coil, then follow the scalp and exit through the outside coil on the other side of the bun.

If you have a fork with shorter prongs, you can insert it like in the Gibralter bun: insert the fork into the coil next to the outside coil and also exit from the coil next to the outside coil on the other side.

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Nightshade. I do like the Eq. bun.

It's not that I can't do buns, it's just that I Wanna Do A Cinnabun -- Waaaaah! But I have great luck with many other kinds of buns.

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
If you have a fork with prongs at least as long as your bun is wide, and use your hands to keep the bun flat like KaeleyAnne suggested, then after tucking the end under, you can insert the fork in the outer coil, follow the scalp and try to lift up and catch a little hair from an inside coil, then follow the scalp and exit through the outside coil on the other side of the bun.

Are you saying, that one tine of the fork is in my scalp hair and the other tine is in the bun hair? Because that might work. I think I have a fork somewhere. I will try it. I will buy more forks. Shiny ones.

LeaM07
May 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
You know, I saw that pic last night when I was cruising the albums, and I thought, "That makes me feel so much better! Maybe . . .someday . . .when my hair is as long as hers, I can make a cinnabun like that!" :)
Aww, thanks, hurricane_gia! :)

Off-topic, but what kind of bun is that in your siggy pic? I see lots of twists in there, but I can't figure it out.

frizzinator
May 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Are you saying, that one tine of the fork is in my scalp hair and the other tine is in the bun hair?

Well, no. I'm saying that after inserting the prongs through an outside coil, all prongs move along the scalp, then while you are still holding the bun down, you kind-of press the top of the fork down to help lift the end of the prongs so that you can push it just a little bit into the bottom-most hairs of one of the interior coils (so that the insides will not fall out of the finished bun), then immediately push the fork prongs back down to the scalp in order to catch more scalp hair before exiting through a coil on the other side of the bun.

Even if you don't think it will work, try it anyway! I didn't think it would work since it's not holding much of the bun hair, but it works very well.

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Do you like it? It's two rose buns. One is clockwise and the other is counter-clockwise. I call it my Rosie Rams' Horns.

I began with . . . oh, it's that thing that's like a cross between a dutch braid and a rope braid? . . . you know, that thing? Anyway, I did one on each side of my head, then finished with rope braids until I ran out of hair. Tiny little ouchless elastics on the ends. Then, I made two rose buns (cinnabuns out of rope braids) at the nape of my neck. (Of course, they stacked more like bee-but buns, as we were discussing earlier. ) That's it.

I've only attempted it a couple of times and I always get lumps in my scalp hair. I think I need a friend to do the side twist things for me. That, or a mirror-setup that allows me to see all sides of my head at once.

Unnamed
May 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Me, I tuck in the last foot or more around the centre. It's handy, as like I think someone else mentioned, thin ends/taper works well as an anchor, and so even just one stick can hold, hooking under that outer wrap(s) that is(are) tucked under, and then going back out through the 'visible' wraps. I'll also just secure the second wrap (or inner two wraps), and let the tucked under ends anchor the third wrap. So maybe securing that first wrap and just making sure the ends end up between the fork/stick and the top part of the bun would help hold the extra in place?

For what it's worth, my cinnabuns rarely end up flat. This is as close as I get (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/UnnamedGryffon/2008a/may23_cinna.jpg)/what mine look like flat with my taper. I put the pins in through the outermost coil, then in and downward toward the centre of the bun, which sorta helps it stay flatter than if I just stuck 'em in straight. I can also get sticks or a fork to hold it (going through all of the wraps), I think.

Generally, I do more of a poke and pull to whatever will hold, and often the first wrap will end up outside of the second wrap on at least one side. If I'm careful and loosen up the start, I can get all the extra wraps under the first wrap, and the other wraps aren't even visible.

It generally looks okay (I think...I hope), so I try not to think much about it, as wonky cinnamon buns are one of the few things I can do with my hair between length/thinness/taper.

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I will try it. I can't seem to find my hairfork anywhere. I think the car-monster ate it. I have tried that wiggle-grab with a hairstick and I'm not very good at it. I may have to practice with a very loose bun. Perhaps this is the key to all my cinnabun problems. :)

LeaM07
May 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Do you like it? It's two rose buns. One is clockwise and the other is counter-clockwise. I call it my Rosie Rams' Horns.

I began with . . . oh, it's that thing that's like a cross between a dutch braid and a rope braid? . . . you know, that thing? Anyway, I did one on each side of my head, then finished with rope braids until I ran out of hair. Tiny little ouchless elastics on the ends. Then, I made two rose buns (cinnabuns out of rope braids) at the nape of my neck. (Of course, they stacked more like bee-but buns, as we were discussing earlier. ) That's it.

I've only attempted it a couple of times and I always get lumps in my scalp hair. I think I need a friend to do the side twist things for me. That, or a mirror-setup that allows me to see all sides of my head at once.I like it, it's very pretty and elaborate looking! Rolls, maybe? Ah, rose buns... I really need to give rope braids another try. :)