PDA

View Full Version : don't know what to do next :(

trinc
September 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm seriously hair-stressed. I've been trying to save and repair my hair for about half a year now, and with some better moments, there are mostly the times when I'm going nuts with my hair :(

here's a story about what I have done:
when I started, my hair was very, very damaged. it had been bleached blond for a long time, in addition there were some darker strands put in quite often.. then I decided to color my hair the same tone which my own has, to start growing out natural. I colored whole head with permanent dye, but as the first time I wasn't bold enough to go dark enough, I did it 2 times in a row! on top of my damaged, bleached hair, it basically killed it. I didn't know hair could get SO damaged.

I started growing out and searching answers for better hair care. I switched my shampoo and conditioner to ecological ones, including no SLS, silicones or parabens. at first the hair seemed kind of better, clean, and with good volume.. but then it started to get so much static electricity. I started switching brands to find a better shampoo and conditioner that would suit my hair. I think to this day I haven't found one that would suit my hair really well. and after a while my hair started to get limp, flat, and get greasy-looking very quickly. it lost all it's volume :( also, it's very tangly, if I don't use conditioner (and sometimes also with conditioner, depends on the type)

I must write out all the other things I did... at first I started using cassia. I did cassia treatments with yoghurt, and it put a golden color on my hair, and I think it also gave volume in the beginning. then I switched to lush caca brun, which is wonderful to my hair!! after coloring, my hair is so smooth, but it also has volume! unfortunately the effect doesn't last very long. I also oiled my hair: with flaxseed oil, olive oil, castor oil, sesame oil. I did deep oilings - putting a lot of oil on my hair and sleeping with it, and washing out in the morning. when I started getting flat and limp hair issues, I realized I might need clarifying, and tried baking soda and after that a clarifying SLS shampoo. It had a really small effect and didn't really improve my flat and limp hair issues :(

one more thing that might give some information: with all the treatments that are made to give protein to hair - my hair went nuts, and it was absolutely horrible to it. my hair was VERY tangly, and dry. so I understood that my hair hates protein.

oh, and my hair type is 2a/2b / M/C / ii (I think).

anyway, now I'm totally clueless what to do next. I have messed with my hair for so long and it's still so awful :( it's very dry (the damaged part is, the grown out hair is smooth and shiny and better), and it's so limp. it just has no volume, oomph.. and it doesn't fall like a curtain, but it gets into locks (I don't know if I explained it understandably...). it looks like if it's greasy, even if it isn't so much.

I'm thinking about going back to SLS and cones? maybe my oh-so-damaged hair needs cones to keep it better? and I can use them until all hair has grown out and go back to more natural products then. downside is - I really would like to be more chemical-free...

maybe there is some treatment my hair needs, but I can't figure out, what it is?

maybe I could search for ecological shampoo and CO which would suit my hair better? maybe I have used ones that have proteins and that's why my hair behaves so bad?

maybe 4-5 times clarifying is not enough if I have oiled my hair for months without clarifying.

I could really use some smart and knowledgeable advice and analysis on this situation, because this really beats me.. and I'm so unhappy with my hair :( I don't want to cut it, too, because I don't like short hair on me :(

sorry, if this was too long...

Qwackie
September 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
If I were you, I'd just cut it. Even if you'd lose a lot of length cutting, it's better to start out without much damage. I bleach my fringe light brown, and I've found bleached hair likes conditioner, and a lot of it. I usually use store brands, rather then spending money on coney salon brands. Cones can help hair stay strong, but they lead to build up. If you keep coning, then use some clarifying shampoo once a week and then deep condition.

Alvrodul
September 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Have you tried CO washing or CWC? I find that my roots get oily, so when I wash my hair I ysyally do CO washing - which is gentler on the hair than shampooing - and when I do use shampoo, I only use it near the scalp - the rest of my hair certainly doesn't need it!
My hair also hates protein, but loves moisturizing treatments, and I have great success using oils (except for almond oil)
And if your hair is as badly damaged as you indicate, well, there is no real fix for that. Once upon a time I, too, abused my hair with chemicals.
I hope you will get advice that works on your hair!

spidermom
September 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I would think that damaged hair needs protein treatments at least occasionally. Always follow with a moisture treatment.

My hair is not damaged except by every-day wear and tear, but I use CHI Silk Infusion (a coney serum) to make combing easier. For my hair type, cones are a good thing, and they might be for you as well. Otherwise my hair tangles and knots up. My shampoo contains SLS or ALS, so I don't get buildup. My washing routine is CWC (conditioner to length, wash scalp, rinse, condition again). I use diluted shampoo concentrated to my scalp area most of the time, but every couple of weeks or so I wash my entire length. I also do pre-wash oilings with coconut oil.

You don't have to cut all the damage away at once, but little trims on a regular basis would probably be of benefit - say 1/2 inch off every 3 months. Then you would likely be gaining a little length while you get rid of damage. Good luck!

marzipanfuntime
September 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I looked through your pictures, and it seems the damage line is a bit above the bleach line? Are you maybe damaging it mechanically with a rough handling, bad comb or brush, straightening or blow drying?

And it seems the common denominator in your story is that you are doing a whole lot to your hair. Maybe it just needs to be put up for a while and forgotten? Regular trims, S&D,henna and SMT have been great for my damaged hair, but after a point hair just needs to grow out.

ktani
September 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm seriously hair-stressed. I've been trying to save and repair my hair for about half a year now, and with some better moments, there are mostly the times when I'm going nuts with my hair :(

here's a story about what I have done:
when I started, my hair was very, very damaged. it had been bleached blond for a long time, in addition there were some darker strands put in quite often.. then I decided to color my hair the same tone which my own has, to start growing out natural. I colored whole head with permanent dye, but as the first time I wasn't bold enough to go dark enough, I did it 2 times in a row! on top of my damaged, bleached hair, it basically killed it. I didn't know hair could get SO damaged.

I started growing out and searching answers for better hair care. I switched my shampoo and conditioner to ecological ones, including no SLS, silicones or parabens. at first the hair seemed kind of better, clean, and with good volume.. but then it started to get so much static electricity. I started switching brands to find a better shampoo and conditioner that would suit my hair. I think to this day I haven't found one that would suit my hair really well. and after a while my hair started to get limp, flat, and get greasy-looking very quickly. it lost all it's volume :( also, it's very tangly, if I don't use conditioner (and sometimes also with conditioner, depends on the type)

I must write out all the other things I did... at first I started using cassia. I did cassia treatments with yoghurt, and it put a golden color on my hair, and I think it also gave volume in the beginning. then I switched to lush caca brun, which is wonderful to my hair!! after coloring, my hair is so smooth, but it also has volume! unfortunately the effect doesn't last very long. I also oiled my hair: with flaxseed oil, olive oil, castor oil, sesame oil. I did deep oilings - putting a lot of oil on my hair and sleeping with it, and washing out in the morning. when I started getting flat and limp hair issues, I realized I might need clarifying, and tried baking soda and after that a clarifying SLS shampoo. It had a really small effect and didn't really improve my flat and limp hair issues :(

one more thing that might give some information: with all the treatments that are made to give protein to hair - my hair went nuts, and it was absolutely horrible to it. my hair was VERY tangly, and dry. so I understood that my hair hates protein.

oh, and my hair type is 2a/2b / M/C / ii (I think).

anyway, now I'm totally clueless what to do next. I have messed with my hair for so long and it's still so awful :( it's very dry (the damaged part is, the grown out hair is smooth and shiny and better), and it's so limp. it just has no volume, oomph.. and it doesn't fall like a curtain, but it gets into locks (I don't know if I explained it understandably...). it looks like if it's greasy, even if it isn't so much.

I'm thinking about going back to SLS and cones? maybe my oh-so-damaged hair needs cones to keep it better? and I can use them until all hair has grown out and go back to more natural products then. downside is - I really would like to be more chemical-free...

maybe there is some treatment my hair needs, but I can't figure out, what it is?

maybe I could search for ecological shampoo and CO which would suit my hair better? maybe I have used ones that have proteins and that's why my hair behaves so bad?

maybe 4-5 times clarifying is not enough if I have oiled my hair for months without clarifying.

I could really use some smart and knowledgeable advice and analysis on this situation, because this really beats me.. and I'm so unhappy with my hair :( I don't want to cut it, too, because I don't like short hair on me :(

sorry, if this was too long...

You have done a lot to your hair over a relatively short period of time. You do not have to chop most of it off.

Start by finding shampoos and conditioner you do like, cones or not.

You are right about the oiling for months without clarifying. However, it is the kind of oil used that can determine how effective a clarifying shampoo can be in terms of how many washes you may need.

There are oils that are harder to remove because they leave a tougher film on the hair.

Flax seed oil is a drying oil. What that means is that it hardens into a film on contact with oxygen. Castor oil can be as well depending on how it is processed.

Most clarifying shampoos can be harsh, requiring deep conditioning afterward.

Try a shampoo for normal hair and use non drying oils like coconut, olive, camellia, argan, and sesame etc., lightly, so they can be more easily washed out.

Just ease back to less product and give your hair some time to recover. Trim damage as you need to. There is no reason to start over. It will take patience.

Look for an sles or sodium laureth sulfate shampoo which is milder than sls, if you go with sulfates, which are not evil, any more than cones are either. Not all cones build-up.

One step at a time.

trinc
September 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
thanks for all the responses, especially big thanks to ktani! I think I needed calm advice the most! hair stress can drive oneself nuts!

After reading ktani's message, I think I will move to traditional products for a while (SLES), not natural. But other than finding a suiting shampoo and conditioner, I will do nothing for a while. I agree that I've done a lot to my hair, and I do need some rest from thinking about my hair :D and my hair needs some rest from me :D hopefully SLES shampoo over some longer time will clarify my hair more from this heavyness.

Qwackie - cutting is not an option. it would not take care of my problem with limp hair, and I hate too short hair on me.

Alvrodul - CO washing... I have used natural conditioner, which is moisturizing, but can be quite heavy if put on too much. I use only a little, but in case I'd use only CO, my hair would be even more heavy...

marzipanfuntime - damage line above bleach line - after finishing bleaching I did two permanent dyes, in like 3 months period. no harsh handling now anymore - no straightening, cool blowdrying, easy combs.

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
thanks for all the responses, especially big thanks to ktani! I think I needed calm advice the most! hair stress can drive oneself nuts!

After reading ktani's message, I think I will move to traditional products for a while (SLES), not natural. But other than finding a suiting shampoo and conditioner, I will do nothing for a while. I agree that I've done a lot to my hair, and I do need some rest from thinking about my hair :D and my hair needs some rest from me :D hopefully SLES shampoo over some longer time will clarify my hair more from this heavyness.

You are most welcome. Look for a shampoo with the least additives. I use Sunsilk Lively Blonde Shampoo. Unilever makes one for redheads and brunettes in the same line. The blonde version does not add colour and has only one cone (the others have only one cone too). The shampoo does not build-up. I am recommending it as an example. Good luck!

trinc
September 20th, 2010, 06:14 AM
You are most welcome. Look for a shampoo with the least additives. I use Sunsilk Lively Blonde Shampoo. Unilever makes one for redheads and brunettes in the same line. The blonde version does not add colour and has only one cone (the others have only one cone too). The shampoo does not build-up. I am recommending it as an example. Good luck!

thanks for recommendation.. I googled it and it seems not to be sold in my country (estonia). but I'll try to find something suitable.

I was trying to go all natural with hair care, but now I feel it's not worth the struggle if I'm feeling so stressed with bad hair. so I'm openminded and looking for products from conventional range now :) we'll see how it goes.

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 06:23 AM
thanks for recommendation.. I googled it and it seems not to be sold in my country (estonia). but I'll try to find something suitable.

I was trying to go all natural with hair care, but now I feel it's not worth the struggle if I'm feeling so stressed with bad hair. so I'm openminded and looking for products from conventional range now :) we'll see how it goes.

Sunsilk is sold in your country, http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/ET/p3.asp?selectCountry=EE&language=ET&brandid=SUNSILK. It should be available in drugstores or pharmacies and is not expensive. These are the Unilever brands available to you, http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/ET/p2.asp.

Sunsilk Lively Blonde shampoo ingredients, just to give you an idea, http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/EN/p4.asp?selectCountry=UK&language=EN&productid=2042527.

For some reason, the Italian list is more complete in terms of what the ingredients are for, http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/IT/p4.asp?selectCountry=IT&language=IT&productid=2042515

Here is access to all countries in Europe, http://www.unilever.com/pioti/en/p1.asp.

It is not about Sunsilk or Unilever though. It is about what you and your hair like.

Carolyn
September 20th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I'd also recommend an occasional SMT for added moisture. I agree, no need to cut off a lot all at once. Small trims along the way will help a lot.

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I'd also recommend an occasional SMT for added moisture. I agree, no need to cut off a lot all at once. Small trims along the way will help a lot.

SMT's are great. One just needs to watch out for honey residue. The same warning applies to honey lightening recipes without aloe vera gel or conditioner. Honey residue can make the hair appear dry and the ends stiff. Shampoo and a lot of rinsing will remove it best, from reports. It is not a permanent problem if it occurs and not all honeys leave such a residue.

JulietCapulet
September 20th, 2010, 07:09 AM
If you don't think you look good with short hair I would not cut it. I would just braid it until it grows out and get trims until you are at your desired length.

trinc
September 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM
wow, ktani! you are good with google! :D thanks!

but I don't see Lively Blond here. I see only Anti-Itch, Colour & Shine, Fresh for Longer, Respect and Balance shampoos. Which one could be the best for me?

Lively blond is only conditioner (I think it's lively blond, but it's translated, so I don't know for sure).

ktani
September 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
wow, ktani! you are good with google! :D thanks!

but I don't see Lively Blond here. I see only Anti-Itch, Colour & Shine, Fresh for Longer, Respect and Balance shampoos. Which one could be the best for me?

Lively blond is only conditioner (I think it's lively blond, but it's translated, so I don't know for sure).

I keep the Unilever links in my favorites to keep track of Lively Blonde Shampoo, lol. I am concerned that it will be discontinued.

Yes, I saw that the shampoo was not listed either. I do not know why the conditioner is listed. It may just be that that website is not updated. If the conditioner is available, the shampoo should be, theorectically.

If there is no charge to do so, you can phone around to different stores before hunting on foot (I prefer to do that myself to see if something is in stock, saving me a wasted trip). Also, a store may be agreeable to ordering a specific shampoo for you. It never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no.

If you open the link to the Lively Blonde Shampoo ingredients, and then go through the other shampoos in another window, you should see similarities in formulations.

I am sensitive to hexyl cinnamal, which is not in Lively Blonde Shampoo, while it is in others. So it is not simply a matter of recommendation. I do not know what you may be sensitive to or not.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Maybe your scalp produces so much sebum because it knows that your damaged hair needs it? It's hard to explain it to your scalp that you can help your hair by your own, without it's help...;)
I recommend CWC. Really. I had dry hair, and a little bit damaged too (blowdrying, flat ironing, brushing when wet) and with CWC I am in hair heaven. The trick is to wash only the scalp and to left the second conditioner (moisturising one, for best results, I use Garnier Natural Care Avocado and Shea butter, cone free) for more that 30 minutes, under a shower cap and a towel/winter hat. I know it doesn't sound fantastic but I achieve extraordinary results.

And coconut oil is a magical thing too. I know you used olive oil. It's too heavy for some people. Personally I do overnight treatments before every washing and then putting the first "C" on my length is enough to wash it off. No shampoo on the length of my hair.

It takes time. I used to expect stunning effects after one use of something too. It took half year to make my dry hair moisturised and healthy so... be patient. It's hard, I know, but in the meantime taking care of your hair is a real fun. The smells of conditioners...;) Wear your hair up as much as you can to protect it from physical damage and when you are doing hair care sessions- have fun with it. Light some candles in the bathroom, use conditioners that smell nice... Waiting for healthy hair is much more fun this way! :)

Chestershire
September 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
you probably don't want to hear this, but cut it off. If it's that damaged, almost nothing is gonna fix it. I had midback long, very damaged hair, and i cut it off to my chin. Then I started to take better care of it and it looks so much better now. :)

JenniferNoel
September 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Either cut it all in one go, or trim every month according to your growth rate while wearing it up or braiding it every day. You can learn lots of beautiful protective styles and enjoy hair toys and other fun things. Meanwhile, moisturize, SMT, and be gentle with it. If you do choose to chop, the growing out process can still be fun if you make it so.

trinc
September 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM
I keep the Unilever links in my favorites to keep track of Lively Blonde Shampoo, lol. I am concerned that it will be discontinued.

Yes, I saw that the shampoo was not listed either. I do not know why the conditioner is listed. It may just be that that website is not updated. If the conditioner is available, the shampoo should be, theorectically.

If there is no charge to do so, you can phone around to different stores before hunting on foot (I prefer to do that myself to see if something is in stock, saving me a wasted trip). Also, a store may be agreeable to ordering a specific shampoo for you. It never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no.

If you open the link to the Lively Blonde Shampoo ingredients, and then go through the other shampoos in another window, you should see similarities in formulations.

I am sensitive to hexyl cinnamal, which is not in Lively Blonde Shampoo, while it is in others. So it is not simply a matter of recommendation. I do not know what you may be sensitive to or not.

I searched our pharmacies product catalogues online and didn't find it. so I wrote to Unilever :) It's gotta be on sale here somewhere :D

trinc
September 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM
Maybe your scalp produces so much sebum because it knows that your damaged hair needs it? It's hard to explain it to your scalp that you can help your hair by your own, without it's help...;)
I recommend CWC. Really. I had dry hair, and a little bit damaged too (blowdrying, flat ironing, brushing when wet) and with CWC I am in hair heaven. The trick is to wash only the scalp and to left the second conditioner (moisturising one, for best results, I use Garnier Natural Care Avocado and Shea butter, cone free) for more that 30 minutes, under a shower cap and a towel/winter hat. I know it doesn't sound fantastic but I achieve extraordinary results.

And coconut oil is a magical thing too. I know you used olive oil. It's too heavy for some people. Personally I do overnight treatments before every washing and then putting the first "C" on my length is enough to wash it off. No shampoo on the length of my hair.

It takes time. I used to expect stunning effects after one use of something too. It took half year to make my dry hair moisturised and healthy so... be patient. It's hard, I know, but in the meantime taking care of your hair is a real fun. The smells of conditioners...;) Wear your hair up as much as you can to protect it from physical damage and when you are doing hair care sessions- have fun with it. Light some candles in the bathroom, use conditioners that smell nice... Waiting for healthy hair is much more fun this way! :)

thanks - I will consider CWC. is the trick here that second C should be conefree? or both of them? I found out that the C you mentioned is on sale here, too, so I can try it :)

thanks for all the feminine advice on how to make it all more enjoyable :) candles and all - I think I really need to cut the stress and make the journey more enjoyable!

I will consider coconut oil, too, but I will not use big amounts, because I'm afraid of making my hair too heavy. and as ktani suggested, best to leave it alone for a while, and not do too much!

trinc
September 21st, 2010, 01:37 AM
thanks for others for advice, too!

I decided it's time for another 5cm chop. Don't want to take off more, but slowly trim the damage off.

I understand this part very well, that nothing is going to save my damaged hair. what I don't understand is why my hair is so flat - even the part which has grown out (about 7-8cm), and otherwise looks very healthy and shiny. it's also easy to understand how I could moisturize hair, but how is volume achieved?

Yesterday I bought and tried Pantene Aqua Light which promises strong hair without heaviness (looks like this http://www.supersavvyme.com/product/triedandtested/pantene/pantene-pro-v-aqua-light.aspx). I was quite interested how "regular" shampoo and Co would react on my hair, after I had washed 6 months with only natural products. It made hair much smoother and more slippery, even if wet. I guess this was because of cones. It seems at this point I might benefit from cones, because without them my hair is tangly and I will damage it even more. my hair didn't gain much volume, but maybe if I continue, it will. the downside was the smell - my hair smells so artificial now! I really liked the smell of natural products.

And the thing which is really sad for me is that I have to use all this chemistry :( I have really moved toward using natural products (skin care, decorative cosmetics, house cosmetics, hair care etc). But I try to console myself with a thought that once I have cut off all my damage I can try again...

cdt
September 21st, 2010, 04:33 AM
Your damaged hair needs protein, but most protein treatments really makes 2A hair very dry (I cannot use any normal ones) BUT if you want to restore your hair you should do the following(I promise you that it will work)

Buy kerastase forceintense (http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/forcintense.aspx)
It will make your hair into silk and your damaged parts will feel renewed. It is my mirakle treatment - very expensive both there is nothing like it!!

In between this, you should shampoo your hair with bain de force (http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/bain-de-force.aspx) or
if you want more volume, the bain volumactive
(http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/bain-de-force.aspx)
Use the ciment anti-usure conditioner on your damaged part after washing. (http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/bain-de-force.aspx)

You will not have to cut off the damaged parts if you do this - I promise!!

trinc
September 22nd, 2010, 02:34 AM
Your damaged hair needs protein, but most protein treatments really makes 2A hair very dry (I cannot use any normal ones) BUT if you want to restore your hair you should do the following(I promise you that it will work)

Buy kerastase forceintense (http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/forcintense.aspx)
It will make your hair into silk and your damaged parts will feel renewed. It is my mirakle treatment - very expensive both there is nothing like it!!

In between this, you should shampoo your hair with bain de force (http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/bain-de-force.aspx) or
(http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/bain-de-force.aspx)
Use the ciment anti-usure conditioner on your damaged part after washing. (http://www.kerastase.co.uk/products/resistance/for-chemically-or-naturally-weak-hair/bain-de-force.aspx)

naahh. I have quite accepted that I need to grow out my damage, and I can't totally repair it (besides I'm not very rich :D). but what I don't want to accept is that my hair is flat and volumeless. because this same damaged hair had volume before!!! so it's not about damage, it's something else, which I can't figure out exactly.

Joliebaby
September 22nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Your hair needs a lot of moisture. I'd do an SMT once a week to begin with (once a month later) and wet my hair a little bit every day, either in the shower or by using a mister. After that, apply some oil or shea butter to seal in moisture. If you hair ends up limp or greasy, just bun or braid it. The point is to keep your hair well moisturized at all times at this point! Also use a protein treatment occasionally, twice a month in the beginning, once later. Follow protein treatment with moisture. Keep this up for a mo0nth or two and see if your hair hasn't gotten better :) If this doesn't help (but I'm sure it will) then start trimming off the ends. Search and destroy meanwhile to remove any split or breaking ends.

ETA; Try deep oilings with ceramide oils - sunflower oil is great and cheap! Ceramides bind to the hair thus making it stronger and more elastic. I use wheat germ oil, very very good but a little stinky ;)

trinc
September 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
But I'm afraid of oiling, because I don't want my hair to get any more heavy and limp, than they already got! I can survive dry hair but not heavy, limp and greasy-looking :(

torrilin
September 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Sounds wrong, I agree. But on my hair... I came here thinking I was a stick straight 1a. Started doing CWC with my regular shampoo and conditioner. Picked up some jojoba oil since it's a good body or bath oil, and a lot of the 1a people seemed to like it. Experimented with the light oilings they suggested.

My hair kept getting more volume.

Now it's a month later, and I've been slowly experimenting with heavy oiling. I now know that whatever my hair is, it's not 1a. The more I oil, the more volume and wave I find in my hair.

I don't know how I'm going to break the news to my mother. She's spent nearly 40 years perming her hair to get volume... and I know we have the same basic hair type.

trinc
September 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM
some news: I washed my hair with Pantene Aqua Light the second time yesterday, and my hair is improving! it's cleaner and has more volume! yay!!! :cheese:

I'm concluding that I had some bad buildup that takes time to wash out with harsh SLS shampoos.

right now I'm continuing with this, because it works. after that I'm trying to find SLS shampoo, and cones conditioner, which has more quality and is a bit more natural. and I will reintroduce oils to my hair, but in smaller quantities. and I will try CWC :) also, I will go and get a trim, I'm planning 5cm this time. I trimmed in March last time, and took off 10cm.

Melisande
September 23rd, 2010, 03:20 AM

I'm not sure that salon brands like kerastase are worth their money. And I suspect that such a load of silicones on damaged hair would make it limp with build up over time. If you return to cones, I'd recommend switching between cone and cone free shampoo - to avoid build up.

There are no miracle cures. Judging from the last picture, I think that only very gentle care, coconut oil treatments before washing, diluted very gentle shampoo, regular trimmings and a lot of patience can bring improvement. But nothing can repair or fix overnight hair that has been abused over years.

I think your hair needs to be left alone. You did a lot to it. Natural dyes are mechanical stress for your hair, even if they are strengthening the hair. Your hair looks badly damaged so be careful what you do. You look like a very pretty girl so don't feel bad - your hair will grow and you will learn from this experience.

trinc
September 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
I'm not sure that salon brands like kerastase are worth their money. And I suspect that such a load of silicones on damaged hair would make it limp with build up over time. If you return to cones, I'd recommend switching between cone and cone free shampoo - to avoid build up.

There are no miracle cures. Judging from the last picture, I think that only very gentle care, coconut oil treatments before washing, diluted very gentle shampoo, regular trimmings and a lot of patience can bring improvement. But nothing can repair or fix overnight hair that has been abused over years.

I think your hair needs to be left alone. You did a lot to it. Natural dyes are mechanical stress for your hair, even if they are strengthening the hair. Your hair looks badly damaged so be careful what you do. You look like a very pretty girl so don't feel bad - your hair will grow and you will learn from this experience.

I agree totally... I don't want to jump into "miracle treatments" like kerastase, because I'm realistic about my damaged hair - only skissors will "repair" it.

I didn't realize natural dyes could be mechanical stress, but now when I think about it, it is... thanks for bringing it up!

my new grown hair is shiny and healthy! I just have to be patient.... :)

Melisande
September 23rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
There was a thread somewhere here written by a woman who had fried her hair with a perm, if I remember well. She pampered her hair back to reasonable with SMTs and exceedingly gentle care... wish I remembered where that thread went.

Coconut oil is very good for strengthening the hair shaft and it washes out easily enough with diluted conditioner (because conditioner combines oil and water and emulgents - and those emulgents emulsify the oil, too) or diluted conditioner.

I find that if I give my hair a night long soak with coconut oil before I wash, my hair is less limp but has more volume.

But what works for me maybe won't work for you...

trinc
September 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
There was a thread somewhere here written by a woman who had fried her hair with a perm, if I remember well. She pampered her hair back to reasonable with SMTs and exceedingly gentle care... wish I remembered where that thread went.

Coconut oil is very good for strengthening the hair shaft and it washes out easily enough with diluted conditioner (because conditioner combines oil and water and emulgents - and those emulgents emulsify the oil, too) or diluted conditioner.

I find that if I give my hair a night long soak with coconut oil before I wash, my hair is less limp but has more volume.

But what works for me maybe won't work for you...

thanks! I keep in mind that when I buy oil, I'd buy coconut oil. it seems to be the best for hair.

trinc
September 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm amazed! I washed today the 3rd time with Pantene Aqua Light. And it's now getting wayyyy better! I washed my hair and let it air dry. and instead of getting the limp, hanging hair, I'm now getting back my waves!! AND volume! my hair is nice, wavy, and has body!

I can't believe a cheap shampoo + CO, full of SLS and other chemicals, has worked such wonders on my hair! I guess it's taking off the buildup, that's all I can think.. otherwise it just doesn't make sense! or the other reason could be that cones are making my hair wavy and full of volume... but I kind of find it hard to believe...