PDA

View Full Version : Bangs and really long hair..

Rentlle
September 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Heya everyone! :D

Lately I'm considering growing bangs ...
I have the feeling that i look verry severe when doing an updo..
When I let some haires loose, it doesn't give the desired effect.. :(
I do not know if I can have bangs, if I look good with them.., and am very uncertain about this..
Also, I wonder if it is possible to have bangs without having layers in the rest of the hair.. I have not very much hair and I want to avoid further thinning ..

Are there people here with bangs but no layers? I searched the internet for pictures but didn't found anything.. :(
much greetings :)

Locksmith
September 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hey! I have a fringe but no layers in the rest of my hair, and I think it suits me - it softens the look of an updo a lot, and helps frame my face. I look too severe without it. I don't have huge amounts of hair either, but I honestly don't think the length of my hair feels or looks that much thinner than before I cut the fringe in. :)

Lianna
September 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
First that came to mind was Torrin Paige (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4038).

Yozhik
September 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I did a google-image search for you of bangs on long hair. Here are the results (http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1024&bih=572&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=bangs+with+long+hair&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=bangs+&gs_rfai=). There are definitely photos of people without layers :)

Good luck with your decision :flower:
I love your hair color, by the way!

Juneii
September 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
bangs are only the front of your face, so yes, yes you can. I do have layers around my face with the bangs though just because I like the smooth transition from my bangs to the rest of my hair.

GoddesJourney
September 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
It's perfectly fine to have bangs with no layers. Long bangs look good on most people, so they will probably look fine on you. No big deal if they don't. You just trim them back.

ETA: You hair doesn't *look* thin in that picture, so don't worry about it.

mizsunshyne
September 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I always think of Jennifer Love Hewitt when I think long hair and bangs. I think it's adorable.

Nat242
September 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I have very short, blunt bangs, no layers, and tailbone length hair.

HintOfMint
September 19th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I personally love the look. It adds such interest both when it's up and when it's down.

PrincessBob
September 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Do it! ;) If you want to, it can be very fun to make a long fringe to frame the face.

mglmdvd
September 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
You can't go back after bangs, so I wouldn't do it if I were you.

bigred199
September 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Ditto what everyone else has said. I have bangs and very long layers, but I think that bangs without layers should look fine. I actually think that look is very cute. My bangs are on the short side, above the eyebrows, and with my layers being so long, I don't even know that you can tell that they're there anymore . . . bottom line is, I think it's a cute look and if you like it, you should go for it.

KittyLost
September 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I see women with waist length hair come into work all the time, they have little (a blunt hemlime with a layer an inch above the blunt hemline) or no layers and just a blunt fringe. It looks really good.

You could always try out a clip-in fringe to see how it looks.

Nini
September 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I'm sure you'd look fine with it. And if it doesn't suit you you can always grow it back.

I've got bangs, and fairytale ends that hit's mid thigh. No layers.

FrannyG
September 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Oh my goodness, there are a lot of people with bangs and long hair with no layers!

I have bangs with no layers, but my hair is almost 4 inches shorter than yours, so I can't say that I have really long hair as yet. There are people here with really long hair (tailbone, classic, even longer) who have bangs, and I think they look great.

The question of whether or not to have bangs is more about whether or not they will suit your face, and how much time you will have to spend making them look nice every day. With my 1a hair, my bangs are literally no maintenance, but they can be harder to tame with different hair types.

As to growing bangs back out, I won't lie; there can be an awkward period for a several weeks, but if you look around here for ideas, that awkward time can be minimized.

Sundial
September 20th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I agree that there are many people here with long hair and bangs like emichee! Here's a link to a youtube video she made in case you need visuals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEVd0Ig-V6Q I hope she does not kill me for this but I am in awe of her hair and I thought you might like to take a look so that it will help you make a better decision. (In case you are wondering, hers is one-length and if it appears to be layered or fairytale it is only because she had to undergo some shedding)

I see women with waist length hair come into work all the time, they have little (a blunt hemlime with a layer an inch above the blunt hemline) or no layers and just a blunt fringe. It looks really good.

You could always try out a clip-in fringe to see how it looks.

I agree with KittyLost's suggestion of a clip-in fringe. It may seem silly to spend money on it, but it will probably save you heartache if bangs turn out to be unsuitable. I am seconding her suggestion because, you can:
1. play around with the clip-in fringe to see which length of bangs suit you best,
2. experiment with different ways of styling bangs to see how much you like having one, and
3. in the event that you decide that you prefer long fringe, you can still keep the clip-in fringe for days when you feel like having a look that has bangs.

I think you should probably buy one and give it a test-run for 2 weeks before you decide. If you are still undecided by then, you can just continue having long hair and use the clip-in fringe when you feel like changing up your style

guilty_biscuit
September 20th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I have bangs and I have to say it really really helps me to not want to trim the length too often. I trim my bangs about once every three weeks/month, and I feel like it freshens up my whole head of hair so that I don't get frustrated and run off and get a "trim" that inevitably sets me back in growth.

Also, I really like the look of updo hair + bangs--for me, at least, it makes my pathetic attempts at updo's look a little bit more adult and polished, frames my face, etc.

I would also agree that hair type can really effect whether or not bangs are a good plan--if you have curlier hair, you may have to spend time fixing them and straightening them and styling them and end up very frustrated--if your hair is stick straight like mine, though, you can just wash and go!

Personally, I've always wanted to steal Mia Kurshner's long hair + bangs look--google image search her and you will spend some hours in envy. Alas, my hair will never be that thick or that dark...

Locksmith
September 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM
You can't go back after bangs, so I wouldn't do it if I were you.

I disagree, actually, having had them as a child. :) I grew them out when I was about 14, and it wasn't too long before I got past the awkward stage and could tuck them behind my ears and forget about them. Hair grows, and it's not nearly so drastic as cutting it all short - if you decide you don't like them, it just necessitates a sideswept long fringe or hair clips for a couple of months at the "growing over my eyes" stage. :) That said, a clip in fringe isn't a bad idea at all for getting an idea of whether it will suit - never knew such things existed! Learn something new every day...

crystal_89
September 20th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I think its an awesome look ;)

Maddy25
September 20th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I just wanted to say I think bangs with long hair looks gorgeous :) Very Retro! I think if you want to try you should. Maybe as a test you can fake them to see how it looks? Like, take some hair and position it short like the bangs you want to give you the idea of how it looks?

I Loved bangs like Liv Tylers here

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__dIdm9QTatk/Sp7GRv6IinI/AAAAAAAABaA/Yr-JZqL9ePY/s400/Liv+Tyler4.jpg

They were cute because you could also push them to the side

http://www.hrhairstyles.com/liv-tyler-longhair.jpg

MsBubbles
September 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM
First of all consider your own hair type instead of looking at other people with bangs who have thicker hair (or even fake hair, like a lot of those google search images). I have the same hairtype as FrannyG, yet I would not say the same of my bangs. With my particular 1a hair, they stick to my forehead like glue all day, and living in GA I have a lot of humidity to deal with, so styling is futile.

But as to whether long hair with no layers looks good with bangs: yes it does! People have had this type of hairstyle for decades!

twolunarspring
September 20th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Does 'bangs' mean the same as 'fringe', then? I always thought it meant having shorter bits to frame your face? I have those. And then some slightly longer ones to kind of make a gradual transition to my full length of hair (tailbone) and for me, they really improve how updos look on me, as well as give me a bit more interest around my face when I wear it down. I cut them myself, and since I have wavy hair I don't really worry about doing them too neatly :)

Henrietta
September 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Of course you can! And if you don't want to have a bangs one day, you can easily clip it up without looking severe anyway. That's what I do. Sometimes I want it, sometimes not. Clipping up bangs makes totally different effect than having no bangs at all. Even with clipped up bangs you look less severe when doing an updo.

breezefaerie
September 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I have bangs and my goal is long hair, no layers, and bangs.

UltraBella
September 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I have always liked bangs and I think it looks really nice with updos or buns when a woman has bangs. I also think bangs are fairly easy to grow out, I have switched between bangs and no bangs several times throughout the years and never really found it to be much of a hassle. Good luck with whatever you decide !!!

templeofvenus
September 20th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I like bangs with long hair, I have a blunt bang, I am growing out a few layers and my aim is no layers blunt bang long hair! :) lets hope I get there! try it you can always grow it out if you get fed up with it

Rentlle
September 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
wow! thanks so much for all the answers!!!!
I LOVE the pictures of liv tyler's bangs and i really want to try it, but i'm still a bit nervous about it... Never heard of clip-in-bangs or ever seen them, I'm going to do some research on them :)

Sheltie_Momma
September 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I have grown out my layers, I am almost at hip, my avatar is old and I had some side swept nose length bangs put in. I love them and am planning to actually cut them shorter next time I go in. I do blow them dry and even use heat styling on them (who cares? they get trimmed all the time) I feel like I am more polished yet guilt-free because the rest of my length is healthy and safe it an up-do. On the days when I am not in a bangs mood I just twist them back with a bobby pin. Easy.

Arctic_Mama
September 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Add me to the bangs-but-no-layers group. I am working to cut off the last little bit of layering I have, but despite toying with the idea I don't think I could ever grow my bangs out. Sideswept, especially, is much more flattering with my face shape and really softens everything up.

Arctic_Mama
September 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Does 'bangs' mean the same as 'fringe', then? I always thought it meant having shorter bits to frame your face? I have those. And then some slightly longer ones to kind of make a gradual transition to my full length of hair (tailbone) and for me, they really improve how updos look on me, as well as give me a bit more interest around my face when I wear it down. I cut them myself, and since I have wavy hair I don't really worry about doing them too neatly :)

Yes, bangs and fringe mean the same thing :)