PDA

View Full Version : What hair color suits me best? (pics)

xoxophelia
September 19th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have been growing out my virgin hair color and will continue to do so for awhile but I am not sure that I will maintain it long term. Since I will be fronting a band I feel like I should have a look that "pops" a bit more and translates well to being on stage. (btw, my hair is dark blonde/light brown and turns blonde in the sun)

Judging on hair color, which of these do you think is best for me (why?).. This is something I have been stewing over with no conclusions for some time. :/

I'm very open minded with this and would really appreciate all advice! Thanks :D

blonde:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/PureEmpyrean/haircolor5.jpg

light brown with blonde in front only:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/PureEmpyrean/haircolor1.jpg

warm brown w/ highlights
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/PureEmpyrean/haircolor6.jpg

brown
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/PureEmpyrean/haircolor3.jpg

natural black
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/PureEmpyrean/haircolor8.jpg

blue black
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/PureEmpyrean/haircolor7.jpg

rach
September 19th, 2010, 09:57 AM
brown personally. Brings out your eye colour more

Locksmith
September 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think brown, followed by blonde. The brown suits your eyebrows and skintone, and really makes your eyes pop. :) The blonde also works, but I think the brown is better.

Bianca
September 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM
With these options i'm going with brown... Why no red ? :D

xoxophelia
September 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM
With these options i'm going with brown... Why no red ? :D

Haha.. I think red hair is pretty but my singing and looks are constantly compared to Simone Simons who has red hair. I don't really want to be lumped in with her so it is out of the question :)

1nuitblanche
September 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I like either blonde or brown on you.

Yozhik
September 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Personally, I prefer the brown -- it's very pretty on you! :flower:

Too bad you aren't considering red, though, because I bet that would really pop with your dramatic features, as well. :)

May
September 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
You're cool toned so you need a nice neutral chocolate brown with possible highlights but I don't think the red or warm brown do anything for you. You look best in the light brown with NO blond. I think bond is the least flattering. I love the black though :D

CelinaStarr
September 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
You look best with brown hair. The blue black is way too dark and looks harsh on you and the blonde doesn't suit you. The plain black also looks okay on you.

Pixna
September 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I vote for brown, #4. I think it suits your skin tone/coloring the very best. Runner up is black, #5.

Anje
September 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I like the brown, too. Maybe even a little darker and cooler than #4. It makes your eyes pop a bit and goes well with your eyebrows. (Not that eyebrows necessarily match hair. I've never quite worked out why I have red hair and nearly black eyebrows, but I always have.)

Lianna
September 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I like the brown too. ^.^

AstrayStar
September 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I like the brown the best too, secondly the black.

Bianca
September 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Haha.. I think red hair is pretty but my singing and looks are constantly compared to Simone Simons who has red hair. I don't really want to be lumped in with her so it is out of the question :)

Not the worst one to be compared to. But I understand :p

HuggyBear
September 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Definately Brown!! Medium-dark brown really flatters your skintone and eyes.

JenniferNoel
September 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think the blonde in front looks the nicest. It's soft and feminine, and really boosts your skin tone. Brown can be a little generic.

UltraBella
September 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I like #2 the best.

Sammich
September 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Number 2, the blonde or the brown.

The blonde looks so striking and different, I love how it makes your eyes pop. Number 2 is very unique, I'm so into two tone. :p It's beautiful and I find two tone fun because you can feel more secure instead of dedicating too much to one colour. Brown also makes your eyes pop and looks very feminine and sexy. :D

Qwackie
September 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I think the brown looks really pretty, but I like the bangs on the natural black.

invisiblebabe
September 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I like the brown with the blonde in front, only I'd make it a bit more subtle. You have beautiful skin and features. :) The brown works well too but I prefer a bit of interest with the highlights ;)

I don't care for the all blonde or either of the blacks, with your coloring.

FrannyG
September 19th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I voted brown. By far, it seems to suit your skin tone and emphasize your eyes more than any other shade.

Pumpkin
September 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Personally, I like the brown on you.

christine1989
September 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm with the majority on this one- brown looks fantastic with your skin tone and the most natural.

little_cherry
September 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
#4 suits your skin tone and eye colour perfectly.

Dragon
September 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
3rd and 4th pitcher.

xoxophelia
September 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Wow thank you so much everybody for the input. I am happy that people think the more middle toned options are best as this is closest to my natural color. I would be willing to go black again but I feel it is a little cliche and the upkeep of full blonde might be difficult for me personally.

I like the idea of some lighter parts, like in the front, but I also like a medium/dark brown. Following this though it seems the best thing for me to do would be to keep growing it out or figure out some way to make sections a little richer and leave parts natural?

smilinjenn71
September 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Without question, BROWN!!:)

Have you considered reddish highlights instead of blonde? That would compliment your skin tone much better, IMHO. I know you don't want to go *all* red but highlights would be just beautiful!

rockstarmommy
September 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
qwertyuiop

julya
September 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I like #4 or #2 best, I had a hard time deciding on just one.

squiggyflop
September 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
brown looks the best.. it really makes your eyes pop and it gives you just the right amount of contrast

TinaDenali
September 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Wow, the brown looks AMAZING on you!

Maddy25
September 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
my vote is for 2 and 4 :) you're beautiful, remind me a lot of evan rachel wood!

Fiferstone
September 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I think the brown looks best, and, to change your look up for the stage: WIGS! perhaps not the full-on lurex barbie-doll wackiness of Katy Perry, but you could have some fun with temporary clip-in extensions to change things up, that way you don't have to risk your hard-won virgin growth or go back to the drudgery of maintaining a dyed color. It's fun for a while, but after several years, it becomes work more than fun. I wonder if having one less thing to "mind" is one of the reasons you went back to natural after having dyed your hair for a while? :shrug:

xoxophelia
September 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I think the brown looks best, and, to change your look up for the stage: WIGS! perhaps not the full-on lurex barbie-doll wackiness of Katy Perry, but you could have some fun with temporary clip-in extensions to change things up, that way you don't have to risk your hard-won virgin growth or go back to the drudgery of maintaining a dyed color. It's fun for a while, but after several years, it becomes work more than fun. I wonder if having one less thing to "mind" is one of the reasons you went back to natural after having dyed your hair for a while? :shrug:

The reason I grew back natural was.... oh yeah, for some reason my hair looked *really* dull and I wasn't sure if it was heat damage, color, or both. I only have about.. 6-8" of roots at the points so I'm trying to just be patient while I decide what to do. The rest is old faded dye which is brown.

If I try to deepen or warm up my natural color I'm going to want to do it in the most gentle way possibe and a small amount of highlight in the front would also not be difficult for me to maintain (I have natural highlights in the front).

I'm going to have to poke around and see what methods are best.

xoxophelia
September 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
my vote is for 2 and 4 :) you're beautiful, remind me a lot of evan rachel wood!

Thanks! I have heard that one before.. too bad I'm not as thin as she is haha :)

Hylia
September 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I`d say the darker colors look the best, brown and black. Those are very good colors for being in a band, especially metal bands :P I guess red would be too, but I can see why you might be compared to Simone since she is one of the only singers with red hair.

janeytilllie
September 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I personally like either brown or warm brown with highlights on you :)

Whijun
September 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Since you say you're going to be fronting a band, I think #2 would work.

On a more general note though, I think #4 looks good. And I have always thought that black was very striking on caucasians.

Wally
September 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I vote for #3 as the most flattering on you. However, for the stage I vote for #6. I thought of blue right away when i saw your eyes.

Eire
September 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM
From the pictures, brown is certainly the best - it's very natural looking and goes great with your skin tone. But the red in your sig video is very pretty and distinctive as well.

If you're going to be singing songs of that genre I think you should especially stay away from black hair. Between Amy Lee, Tarja Turunen, Annette who replaced her, and Sharon den Adel there is WAY too much black hair in the industry. And on Amy Lee I never thought it looked very flattering -- it washes her out and makes her look tired. I've also seen pictures of Sharon with both black and brown hair and the brown suits her complexion much better. As someone who seems to have similar coloring, it'd probably be best to avoid that particular shade.

By the way, I am a Tarja fan, and you certainly did her song justice in your cover! You have a stunning voice!

Carolyn
September 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I like options 3 and 4. I think the black is too dark and the all blonde is too light.

PrincessBob
September 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Doubt it makes a huge difference, but I prefer the straight up brown on you. It looks good with your eyes.

Phexlyn
September 20th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I think the brown looks best, it brings out your features really well. I know you don't want to got red all over, but maybe consider dark red/burgundy/plum streaks along with your brown? :)

KittyLost
September 20th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I really like the brown on you, however I chose brown with blonde in front because it just adds a little bit of edge which you are looking for to be on stage. You could change the colour of the blonde to other colours but still leave your brown looking good, and the fact it is in the front and not all over makes it seem not as harsh.

windinherhair
September 20th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I like the brown color better. Your pretty blue eyes seem to stand out more with that color.

Mexibeach
September 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I vote for brown too!!

Maddy25
September 20th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks! I have heard that one before.. too bad I'm not as thin as she is haha :)

boloney!!! You look amazing, I think you're more pretty than Evan ;)

Unipeg
September 20th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I think brown really makes your eyes POP! it looks the most natural too.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I vote for brown, #4. I think it suits your skin tone/coloring the very best. Runner up is black, #5.

I think totally the same. Brown is number one! :)

Unipeg
September 20th, 2010, 07:29 AM
My second choice would be brown with blond in front that might be good for stage too. I also second the idea with brown and a few burgandy/Plum streaks in front. sounds cool too.

templeofvenus
September 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I love the brown a dark chesnut brown is lovely and makes your eyes stand out! however blond looks good but bear in mind the bleaching does fry hair!

adiapalic
September 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I think brown looks the best, but only because I think it looks more natural (my personal taste). So it all depends on what kind of style you would be going for. :)

mellie89
September 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I think the brown looks best by far. If you want something a little more edgy, you can always bleach a few sections are dye them funky colors. While it would still cause some damage, it would be much less damaging than bleaching all your hair. :)

summergame
September 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, brown is the best for you, your eye color is so much nicer with it!

Nae
September 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Yay for the brown!!! You look SO pretty with that color. The others are nice but the brown is really a standout to me!

marisa
September 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hmmm...can't decide between 3 and 4.
They both look good!

Calaelen
September 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
as a hair stylist and fellow metalhead, I personally think given your colouring, and the type of music you're going to be doing, that a rich deep brown without brass tones would be GORGEOUS. A really dark brown. I think the black would be too harsh, but the lighter brown might not have enough oomph. The blonde doesn't really scream symphonic metal to me at all, and the brown with highlights really goes against the look I think you're going for. Also, blonde is really hard for upkeep, and way more harsh on the hair overall.

Good Luck!

talecon
September 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I really like the blue black - it brings out the blue in your eyes

akuamoonmaui
September 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
What kind of music does the band play? I think that will help with my decision. So far my vote in blonde, but I like the black, too.

rossjen
September 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
I think the brown compliments your features the best, it brings out your eyes in particular.

Juneii
September 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
I vote for black or somewhere in that realm of darkness, it will bring out your eyes best (you need to dye your eyebrows through, to complete it and frame your eyes).

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
I vote for black or somewhere in that realm of darkness, it will bring out your eyes best (you need to dye your eyebrows through, to complete it and frame your eyes).

Yes.. I think it is possible darker bring out my eyes better.. but one of my thoughts was that lighter colors pick up light in dark rooms. So confused! lol

akuamoon- The music is very dark.. but I am fine with breaking stereotypes and actually I prefer it :)

jojo
September 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I like the brown best, black being the worst it drains your complexion, yet brown enhances it more and is much more flattering.

leslissocool
September 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Wavy Brown! totally rock star and good for stage headbang (if music is rockish).

Why not brown with some kind of light catching highlights? Or I personally think that, brown on top (close to your face) and the bottom or the tips dyed a shocking color like blue black or even really light blond is going to look pretty dynamic! And it has color without taking away from how good brown look on your skin tone and your eyes.

Edit: I personally don't think the color has much to do on stage, since you are going to be fronting the band, most of the attention goes directly at you. I go to concerts a lot, and have noticed that a strong stage presence has a lot to do with how you move and use the stage.

xoxophelia
September 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Wavy Brown! totally rock star and good for stage headbang (if music is rockish).

Why not brown with some kind of light catching highlights? Or I personally think that, brown on top (close to your face) and the bottom or the tips dyed a shocking color like blue black or even really light blond is going to look pretty dynamic! And it has color without taking away from how good brown look on your skin tone and your eyes.

Edit: I personally don't think the color has much to do on stage, since you are going to be fronting the band, most of the attention goes directly at you. I go to concerts a lot, and have noticed that a strong stage presence has a lot to do with how you move and use the stage.

I go to many concerts as well but I do realize that for women for sure.. looks has a strong influence on the reception you will get sadly. You also have to have some "it" factor to you I guess.. I like the idea about the colored tips but it might not be a good idea for me right now as I'm doing frequent trims lol. Definitely some good suggestions though.. even a splash of something slightly more wild or bright on the underside could be kind of cool :)

leslissocool
September 23rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
I go to many concerts as well but I do realize that for women for sure.. looks has a strong influence on the reception you will get sadly. You also have to have some "it" factor to you I guess.. I like the idea about the colored tips but it might not be a good idea for me right now as I'm doing frequent trims lol. Definitely some good suggestions though.. even a splash of something slightly more wild or bright on the underside could be kind of cool :)

:( I never noticed it, and you are right: its really sad! Could it depend on the music? If I may ask, what kind of music will you be playing?

Octave
September 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Definitely brown.
The black looks like the blue black on my computer :S

xoxophelia
September 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Definitely brown.
The black looks like the blue black on my computer :S

My computer does make colors look a bit different so it might be mine causing the problem there :/

lesli- the music is a cross between doom, prog, and symphonic (probably the best way to put it anyways)

anna francesca
September 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
blue eyes and brown hair... swoon :)

ButterCup02
September 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I like the brown best I think, followed by the brown with the blonde in the front. You are very pretty btw :)

AreWild
September 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
WIGS! perhaps not the full-on lurex barbie-doll wackiness of Katy Perry, but you could have some fun with temporary clip-in extensions to change things up

This!

The clip in extensions especially can give you a pop of color without any maintenance. You can match or contrast them to your clothes, too. Plus, then you can have a distinctive separation between 'stage you' and the real you.

I voted for brown.