PDA

View Full Version : Celtic knot bun: success at last!

Aliped
September 18th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I love Celtic knot buns, but I have found it the most challenging bun to date. There are some great tutorials, but they are made by women with substantially longer hair than mine (knee versus waist length).

I think I finally have figured it out, by slightly modifying my technique.:cheese:

Anybody else find this a tricky bun to master?

Here's how mine looks ... It feels really solid and stable, but comfortable :)
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Buns/Celticknot.jpg

And here's a better picture, after more practice, its clickable...
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Buns/th_CelticFork.png (http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Buns/?action=view&current=CelticFork.png)

Juneii
September 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
even though I am at tailbone, my hair is still too thick (with too much taper at the end) to do the celtic knot, so frustrating!

Gothic Lolita
September 19th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I still haven't mastered this one. I'm iii, but have layers, but my hair is too thick for this, although I'm between tailbone and classic.

Jezerellica
September 19th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I am at hip length and have trouble with this one too. When they are well done they are so cool!

CurlAhead
September 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Looks really cool!

Henrietta
September 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I am at 29 inches too and still I cannot figure out this bun, thought I want it so bad... You made me want to try it again, maybe something changed, maybe I get the missing half of an inch? :)

JamieLeigh
September 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
That looks awesome! Congrats on mastering it. :cheer: The Celtic Knot is one I haven't tried yet, I need to get on the ball with the hair-style articles!

clichepithet
September 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Oh, good! I thought I was the only one who failed with this bun. I plan on trying again when I'm just past waist. Well done Aliped, love your stick!

Sheltie_Momma
September 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Still waiting on this one - I get one loop then another loop and uh- uh - no more hair! For fun and practice I have been doing it as a half up - so maybe another 6 months or so for me... we'll see!

Alvrodul
September 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I love Celtic knot buns, but I have found it the most challenging bun to date. There are some great tutorials, but they are made by women with substantially longer hair than mine (knee versus waist length).

I think I finally have figured it out, by slightly modifying my technique.:cheese:

Anybody else find this a tricky bun to master?

Here's how mine looks ... It feels really solid and stable, but comfortable :)
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Buns/Celticknot.jpg

I tried this bun again today (have attempted it a few times, but without success) and today I actually managed to make it! To actually use the Celtic knot bun for the day's updo requires a bit more length, I think, but I am getting there! I have wanted to try it out since I first saw a tutorial for it. :D

eezepeeze
September 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this is a tough one for me, too. I can just baaarrreelly squeeze one out if I pull reaaaallly tight and my hair is wet or well oiled. No way can I do it on regular dry hair. It's too thick or maybe just still too short at about an inch shy of waist. Another tough one for me is the figure 8/infinity bun for the same reasons. Also, the pretzel bun. Torrin and LadyLongLocks make it look so easy with their length and skill, but these buns are some of my minigoals.

sparkle'n'bling
September 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM
I tried a celtic knot yesterday, but it ended up kind of loose and didn't feel secure. Any tips on how to get it tighter? Thanks.

Wicked Princess
September 21st, 2010, 04:55 PM
You're not alone! Every time I attempt this hair style, it doesn't so much look like "celtic knot" as much as "french croissant on stick". I can't figure it out!

Carolyn
September 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM
I've tried but I haven't mastered this one yet. I don't think I have enough length. I'm ii and almost hip length. Yours looks great.

FrannyG
September 21st, 2010, 08:16 PM
I mastered the Celtic Knot (I do have photographic evidence) when my hair was about 28 inches long or so, but my hair was substantially thinner then. I'm thinking that I have a mighty long wait.

Yours looks lovely. Congratulations on mastering a new 'do.

tanya222
September 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have yet to master this one! Funny someone should start a thread about this one, just the other day I tried and tried to get this one down pat, and couldn't. I'm a iii, and I just can't get that thickness to go through the knot, no matter how loosely I hold it. It is a gorgeous bun too!

Torrin Paige
September 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I tried a celtic knot yesterday, but it ended up kind of loose and didn't feel secure. Any tips on how to get it tighter? Thanks.

Mine always feels loose. I think it's one of the reasons I like it so much. I always tend to torque my buns too much because then they feel more secure. I like this one because while it feels loose and unsecure, it totally stays put and doesn't give me a headache. My only beef is I sometimes have to do it twice as I start it too tight and then have a devil of a time getting the first loop pulled through. :)

sparkle'n'bling
September 29th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Mine always feels loose. I think it's one of the reasons I like it so much. I always tend to torque my buns too much because then they feel more secure. I like this one because while it feels loose and unsecure, it totally stays put and doesn't give me a headache. My only beef is I sometimes have to do it twice as I start it too tight and then have a devil of a time getting the first loop pulled through. :)

Hi Torrin, thanks for that. I managed to do this one a couple of days ago, and it stayed put all day. Hopefully my problems with it are over. By the way, your tutorials are amazing - your instructions are really clear. Thankyou for doing them.

Aliped
October 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I wonder if I can do it because I have bangs and therefore less thickness in the pony tail. Those of you who are having difficulty, might try saving a section of hair at the front (that would be bangs if you had them) for making accent braids. It might make it easier to do your Celtic knot, and you get accent braids as a bonus! :)

lindaton
October 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I would also love to be able to do this bun. The accent braids sounds like a good option to try Aliped.

BrightEyes7
October 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I love this bun. So comfortable. Surprisingly it was fairly easy for me. I did alter it a smidgen but the same thing pretty much

eezepeeze
October 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I have SOOOO much trouble doing this bun. I've only done it successfully a couple of times, although I have broken at least 5 plastic hair sticks trying to master it. Just snap like twigs. I think I need to practice some half ups to get the motions down better.

Igor
October 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Oh yes, it’s definitely a tricky one. For me, the details of the bun just plain drowned in the mass of hair. On all the tutorials I have seen the result looks distinct, cool and unusual, but on me it just looks like a blob of a bun *pouts*

maria_asa
October 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I just love the celtic knot, it's my go to bun that works when all else fails. It's also the bun that gives me the most compliments and "how in earth did you do that"-comments.