PDA

View Full Version : Blond guy thinking about having my hair long (pic)

scata999
September 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm a guy who has always had short hair, mainly because its just easier to manage. I play in a band and lately I've been thinking about growing it long while I'm still young. I want to have it long at least once in my life just to see what its like. The thing is though I have no idea what to expect or how long it would take. This is a picture of it right now. Was just wondering if anyone had any advice or a picture of long hair of someone with similar hair.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/184/p1000449edit.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7732/p1000458edit.jpg

Dreams_in_Pink
September 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Long, blond hair= awesome :cheese:

How long it'll take depends on how long you want it.

Othala
September 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hair grows approximately 6 inches a year so I suggest you get a tape measure and hold one end against your hair and the other to the length you want your future hair to be. Then divide the total inches by 6 and voila! you will know roughly how long it will take you to get there.

Hope you stick around on this forum so we can support you through your journey, and best of luck to you.

Anje
September 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Like Dreams_In_Pink said, how long it'll take depends a lot on how long you want it, and on how fast it grows. Growth rates vary quite a bit, but the average is about 6 inches per year. Effectively, that means you've got more than a year before you're going to be able to get the front bits to stay in a low ponytail, and you'll have to consider whether you're sufficiently interested in having long hair to put up with that grow-out process. You'll have a lot of shaggy in-between time (luckily, longer shaggy hair for guys still seems to be quite acceptable these days) and you will probably have to put up with snide remarks about having long hair from less tolerant members of society for the entire time you have long hair.

Personally, I like how guys look with long hair (you'll find much of this forum is biased that way!) and would encourage you to grow it. But you should be aware that long hair takes a bit of commitment, willingness to not get haircuts, and buying conditioners that may smell girly.

Heidi_234
September 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Go for it! Worst case scenario You don't like what you see and you cut it off. You only live once, why not try out stuff and experience it for yourself, it's just hair and it can do no harm. :)

Octave
September 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the forum!
I say go for it, there's lots of good advice here on the board which will make it a lot easier for you to achieve your goal. I've learnt so much during the short time I've been here.

Good luck with growing longer hair, I'm sure it will suit you. :)

akuamoonmaui
September 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Grow it! If you don't like the initial grow out stage you might want to check out 'Rescue Me' and Dennis Leary's character. He has longer bangs.

scata999
September 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ok I think I'll grow it and see how it goes. Does anyone have a picture of someone with long straight hair the same color as mine, because if its going to take a while it would be good to have a relative idea of what to expect.

tinti
September 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'd say go for it. You only live once, right? ;)

myrrhmaiden
September 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Looks like it's fairly thick, which is a plus. I think you have a long road ahead, but others here have done it and are doing it. You have a very nice blonde.

clichepithet
September 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
(snip) you should be aware that long hair takes a bit of commitment, willingness to not get haircuts, and buying conditioners that may smell girly.

Bwahaha... aye.

It takes as long as it takes. There are quite of few of us here (male and female) who've grown out from your length or less, and I'm pretty sure the biggest grumble is that inevitable mullet-stage, which seems to last forever. That's got to be the worst part in growing from that short, IMO.

Outside of that... :shrug: Happy growing?

McFearless
September 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Do it! Your hair looks pretty thick meaning it will look so good long.

Fiferstone
September 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Fellow LHC member Igor (female) started from bald, and she's now at nearly-knee and has very thick blond hair that grows exceptionally fast. It took her 8 years to get there. Your hair looks kinda like one of Igor's early stages. It'll take you a while before you can see the pictures in her album (read the site support board and the priviledges one gets as one amasses time and number of posts on the boards).

I (female) have had mid-back to waist-length hair for decades, and It took me 2 years to get from waist to tailbone. I've got very slow-growing hair. Your mileage may vary and yes, I think everyone should at least try to grow their hair at least once in their life. You can always cut it back, you can't always grow it out ;).

CourtneyBee
September 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Cant wait to see your progress photos!

My DBF has hair exactly like yours, he's recently decided to grow it and I'm loving it!

Here are some photos for inspiration maybe?

In this one he had it quite short
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs223.snc1/7026_568397595010_50902494_33540340_6411585_n.jpg

Then when it started growing he parted it to the side, he's a cook so he wears it back in a bandana 90% of the time

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs520.ash1/30631_593745417770_50902494_34337342_2794907_n.jpg

And here is one from a few months ago, his hair is a few inches longer now
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs176.snc4/38159_603573806600_50902494_34721702_4052323_n.jpg

He rocks! I am always playing with his hair, last night I had him in a flexi-8 haha! I highly doubt he'd walk out of the house like that though.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what it'd look like growing out? Happy growing!

Shield31
September 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
scata999, I started growing my hair long from a length of about yours. That was back in August 2004. After a few trims and other length adjustments, my photo's show the current length. The transition time between very short and ear, chin and neck length were the most challenging. It was due to all the hair growing at the same rate but not arriving at the same place at the same time. It has taken 6 years, but with luck, care, and advice gleaned from the experts here, I guess I've done OK.

Good luck in your growing. Be patient and it will happen while you watch :).

Mark

Maddy25
September 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I agree, long blonde hair on guys is very awesome, my dad had long blonde hair, I've always loved it.

anachronic
June 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
It looks good

Dovetail
June 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I couldn't see your pictures? but my husband had long hair for several years. It took him 2-3 to grow it out, his hair grows pretty fast. He'd wash it, brush it, and put it up in a low ponytail. nothing fancy. I don't think he even got trims, he might have used conditioner if it was around. He eventually cut it when we moved (thats what the pictures below are from) Since your pictures didn't show up for me, I don't know if you and him have the same hair type (even though he's burnette)
ETA: and that was with all the damage of being a ski instructor, cold harsh winds, rough scratchy jacket collars, helmets, goggles o.o I'm jealous of men and their ability to have such nice hair with so little effort.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/34395_104875776246348_5786858_n.jpg
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/69821_104875262913066_1506848_n.jpg

anachronic
June 29th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I am gonna folow you

Arden
June 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I cant see your pics.. said somthing about being "forbiden" oOooo! lol

My husband had long hair when we dated. He cut it short a couple years ago and although it looks nice now I kind of miss the long locks....

I have kind of hinted about him growing them back but he said it was too hot... I also think someone at his work might have said somthing.. I donno.. he's weird.. lol

Of course he works in a feild where he gets super hot and sweaty.. so I can see where the whole long hair thing might be annoying for him....

I say go for it... Long hair is hot.. (yes there was a pun there, but no seriously, sesy stuff)

I'll be watching too..... This forum needs a little bit more testoserone anyway.. lol

Knotted
June 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM
The original post is from 2010. I think the OP is long gone.

Arden
June 29th, 2012, 11:05 PM
The original post is from 2010. I think the OP is long gone.

that's too funny.. glad I didn't bump it... but I'll pay better attention next time though... lol

Dovetail
June 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Geh! That's the second topic that's happened to me on. :c anachronic is a threadromancer lol I'll have to keep an eye out.

Well, I guess I wonder what ever happened to the op :3

I'll keep on eye out on other threads now, >.<

missmelaniem
June 30th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Booo! We need more guys on here. Male lurkers come out come out wherever you are!!

Arden
June 30th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Booo! We need more guys on here. Male lurkers come out come out wherever you are!!

Agree'd.. :D

HumanBean
June 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM
His last post was in May of this year. Reading it and the one prior (Feb 2012) seems he keeps stopping at 3 inches or so, then trying again.