PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared of my hair!And a question?

mali
September 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hello,everyone! The thing is that I have 2b/2c hair and I'm scared of it.Just until recently I have discovered LHC and learned what my hair type is.Because I was always using the blow-dryer and comb when my hair was wet so I always got stick straight,but very frizzy hair.All of my colleagues have seen the ''sfrait''(stick straight frizzy) hair I was sporting and if I show up now with my wavy hair..which is also frizzy,but not so much.Frizzines be gone(HOW?!) and should I be brave and sport my wild wavy hair?:p

One more question.Let's say you wash your hair and you let it dry naturally.It dries and it is wavy.You brush it and it kinda straightens but the waves are still there.You put it in a bun.After 5 minutes the waves are gone.Isn't wavy hair supposed to curl no matter if it's wet or dry?I mean if it does have wave the curl should resist no matter what?No get straightened and not come back until the next wash?How do you even know if you have wavy hair?! THANKS!:cool:

dropinthebucket
September 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
"Sfrait" - LOL, i like it! :)

mali
September 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Oh,thanks! :)

Antipodienne
September 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
My hair does similar crazy things if I don't let it dry properly.
I'd recommend ditching the brush and only fingercombing or using a good detangling comb. This will allow your waves to retain their structure. Also, you might try damp bunning or plopping to help keep some of the curl.
Brushing out your 2b/2c waves will only end in heartache. That's probably what's causing your frizz! :)

Centaur
September 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Mali,

As to your first paragraph: I've been there. Had the same experience with my hair.

As to your second paragraph: what you are talking in your bunning experience-damp bunning with your body's own heat- is when your "sets" into a temporary curl pattern but doesn't change your permanent curl pattern. It is the same principle of people putting hair up in curlers using setting lotion to assist the process and then sitting under the heating cap.

Tovah
September 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Consider yourself lucky, unless you admire straight hair (like I do).

But I find that if I let my hair naturally and just scrunch the roots, it is wavy/curly. If I add a mousse like substance, then I have wild and crazy curls. The trick is not to touch it while it's drying. What I do like to do is a damp bun as has already been mentioned. It leaves me with soft curls and a smooth crown. Right now it's drying in a braid. There are so many options.

Since I have come here I have learned very important rule for curly/wavy hair....don't brush!

Anje
September 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Waves can definitely be brushed out... Therefore, to assess how wavy hair is, we generally hairtype with hair that has been washed, then allowed to airdry completely untouched. (I think wrapping it in a towel til it doesn't drip is acceptable, others say you need to drip-dry.)

To get nice waves to wear, your best bet is probably to detangle your hair with conditioner in it, rinse, blot your hair dry, perhaps run your fingers through it with a little leave-in, and then let your hair be. While straight hair doesn't look too great with clumps, waves and curls look fantastic with all those little clumpy bits, because it allows the texture to show instead of making hair into one homogeneous mass.

You might want to look for a satin/silk sleep bonnet or pillow. Hair slides so much more nicely over those materials, so your hair isn't frizzy the next morning.

mali
September 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Wow,yeah I''ll try that Anje.Anybody else want to offer me tips?:p

jasper
September 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
One more question.Let's say you wash your hair and you let it dry naturally.It dries and it is wavy.You brush it and it kinda straightens but the waves are still there.You put it in a bun.After 5 minutes the waves are gone.Isn't wavy hair supposed to curl no matter if it's wet or dry?I mean if it does have wave the curl should resist no matter what?No get straightened and not come back until the next wash?How do you even know if you have wavy hair?! THANKS!:cool:

That is how my hair behaves. My mom doesn't agree with me that I have wavy hair and my good friend with tight curls just rolls her eyes if I say my hair isn't straight. It will become straight if I touch it and will become stick straight if I attempt to curl it.

I am not scared of it, though. If my hair attempts to scare me in any way, I pin it up.:cheese:

spidermom
September 18th, 2010, 06:09 PM
My wavi-curliness (wurly) is not resistant. The day I wash it and let it air dry, it's at its wurliest. By the 2nd or 3rd day after washing, it's nearly straight (like my sig pic) from being combed and bunned.

mali
September 19th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Wow! I thought I was the only one!

TrudieCat
September 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I used to have the straight frizzy hair you described when I would blow dry it, so I turned to the flat iron to smooth out the frizz. Damage!! shudder:
Now I try to be kind to my hair and accept it for what it is.

My waves also get pulled out by brushing and bunning. Sometimes I'll purposely comb them with a wide tooth comb to get a smoother, wavy look - but sometimes this backfires and I end up with poofy frizz, and I have to put my hair up. :shrug: I used to be really scared of my hair type, too, but now I enjoy its moods. :) It's hair with personality. In some ways, having my hair be a little unpredictable seems a lot more "me" than the smooth, super controlled hair I used to have when I heat styled.