PDA

View Full Version : unintentional dredlocks ugh lol

xovictoryxo
September 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I am just going to have to complain for a second here,
You know the tuft of hair underneath close to nape of your neck?
is anyone else here prone to getting super tangly mats that form into dredlocks? I get those in that same place, everyday. unless i blowdry or flat iron this wavy frizzy tangly mess.
My hair is SO tangly its like velcro. It is driving me nuts. I am convinced I am just one of those people who could really benefit from a permanent straightener!
sorry for the complaints, I am so fed up with my hair at the moment

kwaniesiam
September 17th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Maybe you need to clarify, or are using too much protein? Do you use cones? Buildup can cause tangly hair. I'd switch your routine around a bit and see if that helps and try to keep your hair up or braided, especially when you sleep.

Bene
September 17th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I don't know if you've already tried this, and ignore me if you already have, but you could leave some conditioner in the area after a wash to keep that section less tangly.

RachelRain
September 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I am just going to have to complain for a second here,
You know the tuft of hair underneath close to nape of your neck?
is anyone else here prone to getting super tangly mats that form into dredlocks? I get those in that same place, everyday. unless i blowdry or flat iron this wavy frizzy tangly mess.
My hair is SO tangly its like velcro. It is driving me nuts. I am convinced I am just one of those people who could really benefit from a permanent straightener!
sorry for the complaints, I am so fed up with my hair at the moment

Not dreadlocks, but if I don't tie an elastic tight enough when I do ponytails (or if I don't yank a braid tight enough at that spot) I'll get nasty snarls that only get fixed by my boyfriend picking them apart like it's a knotted up necklace :) He's super gentle, whereas I'd just take a brush and attack them.

ravenreed
September 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM
My hair rats up there into one big dread if I wear a low pony and a shirt with a collar. It is horrible.

HintOfMint
September 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
It's the bane of my existence, I have complained about it nonstop here. I am cone free, protein free, and heat free; I S&D, I CWC, and use coconut oil, particularly on the underlayer. My underlayer is fine and silky and so, when I wear it down, it tangles easily. It practically dreadlocks.
One thing that has unfortunately helped is using a coney shampoo on my length before I'm about to wear it down. But even then that doesn't completely solve it.
I just wear it up more often, and when I wear it down, I detangle as gently as possible, or I wash my hair soon and use conditioner to detangle.

xovictoryxo
September 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
thanks for the tips ladies!! and I am glad I am not the only one!

Dragon
September 18th, 2010, 02:50 AM
My hair also rats up there into one big dread if I wear a low pony.

swanns
September 18th, 2010, 02:58 AM
This comment is probably of no help at all, but at one point, when my hair was about BSL, I would intentionally not comb or brush it for weeks to get those dreadlock-y things :D Every time I decided I wanted to get rid of them I probably snapped every single hair in my head to get the tangles out of it. Good times.

PrincessBob
September 18th, 2010, 04:13 AM
This very thing led to my head being shaved under at the back for several years. I thought it was just that my brush wasn't penetrating deeply enough, but even brushing upside down didn't get it all.
Still happens, but less often now with my hair longer, don't really know why, but it gets way worse in the winter.

virgo75
September 18th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I've found jojoba oil helps a bit with tangles.

But I wish the underlayer were the main culprit.
My underlayer is silky and tangles like others on here, but it's the least tangley of my hair. The rest is 100x worse. :shake: Sure, the underlayer will tangle because it rubs against my neck & back of my shirt, but the rest of my hair tangles for no reason at all. I'll trade your tangley underlayer, for less tangley everything else. :lol:

Alvrodul
September 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I do know about this problem! Not to the point of actually getting dreadlocks there, but the nape used to have a nasty tendency to tangle. My hair has become more manageable since I started oiling, though, yet I still tend to pay a bit of extra attention to that particular spot.

bumblebums
September 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Wear a silk shirt?