PDA

View Full Version : Humidity...good or evil

lsnyder09
September 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
From my observations, humidity is the bane of the straight-haired mane, but is the savior for curly-headed people. When I let my hair go natural, the more humidity the better the curl. When I want a straighter look, humidity decides to get revenge and make it frizz like crazy. Are my observations right?

Bene
September 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Um. No.

I don't know about other curlies, but my hair frizzes in humidity. The more humid, the more disheveled my curls look. Bad. Very very bad.

pepperminttea
September 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Swings and roundabouts really. In high humidity I get frizz and I can't go as long between washes. In low humidity, I can go longer between washes, but I gather static electricity no end.

swivelhop
September 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I guess I am a wavy head. The hair could be straight or spiraly any given day. My hair is fine being in humidity all day, or dry all day. Going into the dry AC building, then out to the humid world 20 times a day is frizz bomb time.

RachelRain
September 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I think it depends on the person. We had a LOT of 100% humidity days here (and most of those it never even rained! grr.) and I'd say... roughly half of those, my hair was perfect. It cooperated, it was lovely, blah blah blah... the other half, it was the bane of my existence and at least five times (so my boyfriend tells me), I threw a hissy fit the likes of which has never been seen because the snarls were so bad.

I want to say maybe in my case it was the weather... if it rained the day before, it seems those were the days that my hair was nice. I'm not sure why though. I'll have to remember to keep an eye on this next summer to see if it was just my imagination this year (lol)

I have wavy (but mostly pulled straight) hair, by the way.

RitaPG
September 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Too much humidity makes my hair look oily faster. Normal (?) humidity makes my hair static.

I've seen curly girls with both lovely hair and lots of frizz. Might be their hair type, or their routine. I don't know :shrug:

ktani
September 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I love most humidity for my hair. My hair frizzes rarely and just looks fuller and thicker in most humid conditions and my wave pattern increases. I am waiting just a bit longer to try this, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745, and it would be better if the weather co-operated, lol.

GoddessElppy
September 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM
My hair is just frizzy no mater what, but it does poof up and get really huge when it's very humid out. With low humidity, I become a human tazer, and my hair REALLY loves to poof with static electricity. LOL, my hair just loves to poof!

Speckla
September 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM
The higher the humidity = the better the curl. Bigger and bouncier.

Ash
September 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM
It is good for my hair in general but bad for my canopy. All the short ends start thinking they are very curly and I look like a demented poodle. The length however behaves wonderfully. I usually end up wearing a bandanna to hide the top when it is really humid.

RitaPG
September 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM
... All the short ends start thinking they are very curly and I look like a demented poodle...

Why do I always visualise expressions like this so literally? :rollin:

beez1717
September 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM
for me, it really doesn't matter about the humidity, my hair is going to look straight with the ocasinal wave in it. I hadn't really noticed anything and then when I came to this forum, I looked into what happened to my hair in humidity and NOTHING. Is my hair weird like this?

RachelRain
September 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
for me, it really doesn't matter about the humidity, my hair is going to look straight with the ocasinal wave in it. I hadn't really noticed anything and then when I came to this forum, I looked into what happened to my hair in humidity and NOTHING. Is my hair weird like this?

well, if you wanna look at it like *that* - isn't all hair weird? :D

BethC1963
September 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Your findings are the same as mine.

Living in Florida means 75% - 90% humidity, which means CONSTANT care on my straight hair.

ScarlettAdelle
September 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
For a curly girl who spends so much time with the magnetic rollers in her hair trying to beg it to cooperate, humidity is the evil to end all evils. It's so evil it eats lesser evils after dinner like dessert cookies. My hair doesn't just frizz, it frizzes, puffs, matts, snarls & goes all dull & makes me itchy all day, and then if that weren't enough, it tries to felt at the ends. Humid days are usually bun days for me... Gotta pin it down or it'll start trying to grab things off supermarket shelves like an unruly child...

Chamomile betty
September 17th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Humidity is really good for my hair. That's the only way I can tolerate summer. I hate the weather but my hair looks good.

ericthegreat
September 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
From my observations, humidity is the bane of the straight-haired mane, but is the savior for curly-headed people. When I let my hair go natural, the more humidity the better the curl. When I want a straighter look, humidity decides to get revenge and make it frizz like crazy. Are my observations right?

On the contrary, humidity is the devil usually for most curlies and wavies. Increased water vapor in the air causes hair strands to swell up. On curlies and wavies, this causes their hair to become insanely puffy, poufy, and frizzy.

Its actually people with naturally straight hair who have better luck with humidity. If your hair is already naturally smooth, it doesn't frizz up even with the increase in water vapor in the air.

Flaxen
September 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Humidity is really good for my hair. That's the only way I can tolerate summer. I hate the weather but my hair looks good.
LOL, yes, me, too!

Hi, betty! :waving:

Annalouise
September 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I thought the title said: Humanity...good or evil :p

FrannyG
September 18th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Annalouise, you gave me a giggle.

My hair is straight and humidity doesn't seem to affect it adversely. The only thing about humidity that I don't like is when it's really hot and humid and I sweat so much.

There are many more pleasant things in this world than having a sweaty scalp.

aenflex
September 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Bad for mine. I would rather have dryer hair that lays flay, that I need to moisturize often over unruly frizz which is what humidity does to my hair :( I'm glad to see that it's good for some.

virgo75
September 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM
My hair is frizzy no matter what the weather, so it isn't good or evil for me.
Just uncomfortable once it gets over 90 degrees and makes the heat index over 100 and like walking through a bowl of soup.

lapushka
September 18th, 2010, 08:46 AM
When I was a teen, I always blow dried my hair straight but on the way to school it would frizz due to humidity. OMG misty days were the worst! As a wavy, I just could never have perfectly straight hair in humid conditions. That's actually one of the reasons why I used to perm as a teen. I had no clue. It wasn't straight, and it didn't curl, what the heck kind of hair was it? When I see how waves are "in" these days... gosh... the things I used to do to my hair and now the frizzy, wavy hair is fashionable. It took me until my thirties to learn the difference between frizz and waves and that I actually had texture, it had a name. Many years ago, there'd only be straight hair, frizz, and curls.

FrizzFighter
September 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I hate humidity, especially fog. My waves/curls turn into a huge frizz-ball. Gah!

Charlotte:)
September 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I love humidity! It gives my 1a straight hair natural wave. Alas, I live in a desert :(

mglmdvd
September 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Humidity definitely means too frizzy. Dry or medium is best for me.

sugarpixie10988
September 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
My hair is really straight, but in humidity it gets little frizzies all over the place :p. My hair does NOT like it! If it's too dry though, I get static, even with oil. Picky hair!

HintOfMint
September 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Humidity has given me serious curls before, so I can't hate on it completely. But on a no-cone diet, my hair will just frizz and get huge in humid weather.

Carolyn
September 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM
The only time I've ever had frizz with humidity was when I had perms. In high school I did a wet set ever night and my hair would "flop" if it was humid. Now humidity doesn't bother my hair at all. It might add slightly more wave but not much.

unicornologist
September 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM
humidity = fuzz halo

Danaus plexippu
September 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM
My hair seems to love the humidity. It just sucks up the moisture and I get these soft, smooth, romantic looking waves. It's not the same for bathroom humidity...something about the hard water makes it frizz. But, outside on a damp, heavy day, my hair looks great. Sometimes I even rinse my hair in the stock tank after its full of fresh rainwater. Rainwater makes my hair shine like crazy. Better than a vinegar rinse...it doesn't have the smell.

Buddaphlyy
September 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I don't think humidity in and of itself is bad or good, as a fine haired curly, I definitely know it effects my hair. I watch the weather report to know what clothes to pick as well as what hair products to use. Mid to high humidity means lots of humectants and cone free conditioning. In the winter, humidity rarely goes above 30%, so no frizz, but major potential dryness, so lots of water based moisturizers sealed with oil.

Antipodienne
September 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm a straight head, and I love humidity. It makes my hair feel so much thicker and over time, reduces breakage!

cdt
September 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
I only like it if I'm on vacation and if it is close to the sea - the salt in the air makes my hair form great waves

lsnyder09
September 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I only like it if I'm on vacation and if it is close to the sea - the salt in the air makes my hair form great waves

Born and raised near the ocean...there is NOTHING like salt water for my curls. Not to be prideful, but after a dip in the sea, my hair curls so beautifully! It makes me wish that all water was salt/ocean water!

x0h_bother
September 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
humidity=curl :) My hair has been happy with all this rain. But there is also more frizz.

GermanCurl
September 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM
.....Definetly evil!
It rained the past two days and I looked like a frizzball, no matter what I put on my hair (gel, pomade, curlcream etc.)

luxepiggy
September 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
The horror, the horror!!!

Actually, humidity doesn't actually do anything to my hair in & of itself; the problem is, humidity makes me all sticky, and then my hair sticks to my back & arms. Yuck (>(oo)<)