PDA

View Full Version : Curly Girl Haircut Today!

manderly
September 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
My haircut is in just a few hours now. My first salon haircut since '05, and my first Curly Girl (Deva) cut. I'm excited!

For reference, I'm getting it cut at the Frontenac Salon in St. Louis, MO by Kim, and it should cost in the neighborhood of $50.

I will report back here when I return with more thoughts on the experience and before and after photos for those who are interested :D

http://www.devaconcepts.com/

Deva cut.....too tired, need coffee lol.

MissySue
September 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I don't know what a curly girl cut is, but I hope it turns out just as you hope. I'll be looking forward to pictures! Good luck, I'm sure it'll look great.

spidermom
September 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Good luck for a great experience; camping now to wait for pics.

boomygrrl
September 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about when you say Deva cut. I'm curly haired, too. I get an unofficial Deva cut every 3-5 months (trim)...it's unofficial because my hairdresser wasn't formally trained and doesn't name it as such, but it is one.
It is great!
I can appreciate your excitement. Most hairdressers have no clue how to cut or care for curly hair. If you're anything like me, you have had to struggle more than the average person (read: them straight haired gals) to get a satisfactory haircut.

I'm letting my hair grow longer, so I don't go very often...3-5 months...and only get 1-2 inches cut usually.

For those of you who do not know, Deva cut is a dry hair cut...no wetting/washing before. The hairstylist pays close attention to the curl formation when trimming/cutting.

I'm excited for you!!!

Jorchet
September 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ooooooooh, exciting! :happydance: I would love to get a CG cut myself! Please post pics to see how it came out! Good luck!

Heidi_234
September 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Good luck! I'll be waiting for you update :yumm:

Siava
September 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Anxious for pictures. :D

Atira
September 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I wish there were people near me to do deva-trims!

camirra555
September 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Lucky! I've always wanted a curly girl cut

Presto
September 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Please return and report! :) I want to get one too, maybe in another few months so I can feel comfortable losing a couple inches.

little_cherry
September 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Oh, that's fantastic! I cannot wait to see the outcome! :)

manderly
September 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ha! Some extra derp from me today. I got lost and was too late for them to fit me in any longer. I'm rescheduled for 3pm tomorrow. :justy:

So, after my temper tantrum I'm ok and I'll report back tomorrow with photos. I got my before's before I left today.

Stupid St. Louis road work. *kicks dirt*

Lianna
September 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM
If possible, could you also tell us what's diferent from a 'normal' haircut?

manderly
September 17th, 2010, 05:50 PM
If possible, could you also tell us what's diferent from a 'normal' haircut?

From what I know before I go (I'll update with what actually happens) they will look at my hair and cut it dry, then wash and cut again wet (I think?), then set and dry and cut more if necessary. There is more information on the website I linked in my OP :)

I'll let you guys know how it differs when I actually manage to *find* the place :oops:

manderly
September 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Well, here's a pre-cut photo that I took today. Figured I'd add it now since I can't even remember the last time I shared a hair photo here :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dmmWp5Ut3Fg/TJQSwOPGPaI/AAAAAAAAAA0/Ii5HLwOMnzY/s800/2010-09-17%2012.43.00.jpg

ETA: Sorry about that, just got a new Picassa account since my Photobucket has become unruly. Hope that works now.

spidermom
September 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I only see a little red x Manderly.

sweetee810
September 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I get a Deva cut about every 6 months. My stylist is a oriental guy and he is the best in my book. He cuts my hair dry in layers, then he takes some of the fullness out, shampoos and then with my hair wet he cuts again. All in all he takes off about 1-2 inches. Because I wait too long for a haircut(so he says). But my hair doesn't lose the length and it looks and feels amazing. I can actually run my fingers through my curls and a comb with ease. He only charges me about $30. He's been doing hair for 25 years and ever since I started going to him about 3 years ago. My hair grows so much faster. He has a very good hand (meaning that he doesn't have a bad energy towards hair) and good energy. Your going to love your cut, can't wait for the pics.

CurlyGirlCa
September 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
You can get Deva salon information at naturallycurly.com.

Good luck with your haircut - your hair looks beautiful now.

Dragon
September 18th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Hope it turns out. Good luck.

melikai
September 18th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Wow, your hair's grown quite a lot! How much are you getting trimmed off? Looking forward to pictures!

manderly
September 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Wow, your hair's grown quite a lot! How much are you getting trimmed off? Looking forward to pictures!

I'm going to ask to keep as much length as possible, but I will let them trim 1-2 inches if necessary. My ends are pretty frazzled. My hair is nearly waist when wet :D Sometimes my curls make me feel like I'm not even BSL anymore :roll:

DavidN
September 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Oh, my goodness, Manderly, I had no idea your hair had grown so much! Good luck today, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

lapushka
September 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hope they don't take too much length off. Anxious to see the result! :D

Tovah
September 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm anxious to see the result too.
I wonder how it would work on fine thin curly hair

manderly
September 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Ta-da! Great haircut. She did lop a lot off, which I allowed since those ends were just fugly. I also have a lot more shrinkage due to the sproinginess of the curl. I'm still BSL pulled straight (where I was mid-back prior to the cut).

I can actually run my fingers through my hair now.

She used Deva No Poo, Deva One (condish), and Angell on me. I purchased all of them. The poo is for weekly or less use, the condish and Angell are my regular use products.

She sat me down, showed me what she wanted to take off and made sure I was ok with it, hacked all those ratty ends off quick and dirty, then went around my head lobbing off about an inch in different sections. Then I was washed and conditioned and gelled, clipped at the roots and taken back to the drier. Once dry, she removed the clips, shook out my curls, then added more shorter curl layers (with my permission) to help add volume and curl evenness.

She also gave me a no-plush drying towel (a jersey type cloth) and a bunch of clips to clip my hair. I'm so glad she showed me how to properly do it!

My hair SMELLS wonderful, it LOOKS great, and it FEELS lovely.

First words out of DH2B's mouth? "It looks the same". First words out of his mom's mouth? "It looks the same?" I gave them both looks and asked what they expected it to look like, a blue mowhawk?? LOL You just can't please everyone!

I'm very happy with the results and I let her take way more off than I would have since it's been so long and it will probably a long wait again.

Before:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dmmWp5Ut3Fg/TJQSwOPGPaI/AAAAAAAAAA0/Ii5HLwOMnzY/s800/2010-09-17%2012.43.00.jpg

After:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dmmWp5Ut3Fg/TJUxvpdNAvI/AAAAAAAAAA8/4fraQSflW_I/s800/2010-09-18%2016.37.09.jpg

wimsey
September 18th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Wow! Very nice! :)

pennyroyal
September 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I am glad to hear that you that you are happy with your experience! It looks great in the picture!

PurpleAshes
September 18th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Manderly, your curls are looking great! I definitely see the difference! :D

ImperfectBrat
September 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Wow, that is a big difference ! Shame on people for saying its the same.

jasper
September 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Wow, that is a big difference ! Shame on people for saying its the same.

Yeah, it doesn't look the same. The shape of the new cut is different, your ends look different and it doesn't take a measuring, milestone obsessed LHC member to notice the difference in length.

Your curls do look even and lovely!

CurlyGirlCa
September 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
It looks great - I hope my hair looks as nice as yours when it grows out. Since I'm letting the gray grow out - I have to focus on that but when it's all grown out more than it is - then I'm working on length.

It's nice when they take the time to explain stuff to us too - I'm still finding out what my hair can do that I never knew.

curly girl fla
September 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM
You have beautiful curls, and it's a perfect cut. I have Tiffany (Live Curly, Live Free) cut my hair every 6 months or so, and nobody but me notices the difference. I think these cuts are amazing if you're like me and never straighten. You'll see that your hair will have that nice shape much longer than with standard cuts. So pretty!

FrannyG
September 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Oh my goodness, that cut is beautiful. It really has made a visible difference in how springy and healthy your curls look. Lovely.

MaryLA
September 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Your hair looks so nice! Love the soft curls.

spidermom
September 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Your hair looks lovely.

Anje
September 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Very nice, and there's a definite obvious improvement to the ends!

Some guys (especially ones less obsessed with hair than we are) don't seem to notice haircuts... Your hair isn't now in a pixie or dyed a different color, therefore it looks the same. :D

Fractalsofhair
September 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Your ends look wayyy healthier after(they didn't look horrid before, but now they look amazing!). Congrats on the great haircut!

TinaDenali
September 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Wow, that is an amazing hair cut!! I love it!!

Carolyn
September 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM
It looks wonderful. We're hair people. We can tell the difference.

christine1989
September 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
The ends look way better! And your curls are really well defined. I would call it a definite success! :)

Kristin
September 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Very pretty, Manderly. Your curls are beautiful.

GlassEyes
September 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Your ends look way better.

...I think you just convinced me to shell out the money for one. xD

1nuitblanche
September 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Manderly, your new cut looks great!! Your hair is much curlier than before. It looks lovely!

manderly
September 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Your ends look way better.

...I think you just convinced me to shell out the money for one. xD

It was only $50 at Frontenac - no more than any other "regular" haircut I've ever had :D I've seen them run more like $100-150 elsewhere though. Of course, when I added all the product I bought plus tip I walked out spending $140. :bigeyes: I'm still trying to calm myself with the fact that I haven't had a "real" haircut since '05 and the product should last me a while (I got the big bottles with the pumps).

My ends were simply tragic. They look pretty bad in the before, but they felt absolutely miserable. They were downright depressing to touch, even when I'd comb them out in the shower full of conditioner I'd still get snags galore and they felt like thin Barbie hair. I don't miss them at all. :D

Thank you for the kind words everyone!! And DH2B has revised his earlier statement by saying now that he could see it better it's different. LOL, I don't think he sees a difference, but at least he's trying. That's why I love you guys, we all notice the things "normal" people don't :eyebrows:

little_cherry
September 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Lovely, manderly! I really like how defined your curls look :)

Gilly
September 19th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Wow! it looks great Manderly:cheese:

2peasinapod
September 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
It looks great! The shape is lovely, and your ends look so healthy! Congratulations! :)

katha
September 19th, 2010, 02:23 AM
That definitely doesn't look the same. It's awesome! (not that your hair wasn't awesome before, but you get what I mean, yes? :D )

Yozhik
September 19th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Wow! Your hair looks great :)

Thanks, too, for educating me on the details of cutting curly hair well.

irisheyes
September 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Your hair looked great before, now it looks even better! Very pretty!

tinti
September 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM
That looks amazing, Manderly! More curls, volume and awesomeness :)

lapushka
September 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Very nice! Your curls look more defined as well.

Fayjoi
September 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous! :cheese:

elliebean184
September 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
It looks beautiful and your ends look so healthy!

serious
September 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Great haircut!
Lovely!

StephanieB
September 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Manderly, you're hair looks even more gorgeous than it did before!

Definitly not the same looking... :rolleyes:

Sunsailing
September 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Lovely curls!

How do you find a salon that does the "Curly Girl" haircut? I'm asking for my wife, who has curly hair.

Hotrox
September 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Lovely curls!

How do you find a salon that does the "Curly Girl" haircut? I'm asking for my wife, who has curly hair.

There is a lot of information on this in the forums of naturallycurly.com

manderly
September 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Lovely curls!

You can also follow the link in my OP to find a Deva trained salon. Naturallycurly.com is another spot, where you can also read reviews of salons and stylists.

Tabula Rasa
September 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I agree, your curls do look much more springy at the end in particular. I really want to try a deva cut soon. :)

Khepri
September 26th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Beautiful curls! Your hair looks so happy and healthy!

jeanniet
September 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I think it looks beautiful, and the curls are so well-defined now. I'm sure it was worth it to you just to get those ends off and have a nice healthy hemline. :)