PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Seasons

Fairlight63
September 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I was wondering when is your shedding season & how long does it last you?

I think that mine is from June to Dec. so last about 6 mon.
Seems like from Jan. to May I don't shed as much. I hate losing my long hairs:(

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I don't know how much climate has to do with my shedding. I live in a sub-tropical climate, it's at least 80-85 here from April to October, and always humid. Since moving here, my hair grows much faster than it did in New England, and seems to shed much more consistently. I have lost track, it seems, of my shedding cycle. But up North it was always winter.

Finoriel
September 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Psychic coincidence! :scared: :wink:
This morning when putting up my hair and looking at the decent sized Tribble in my comb, I was just thinking that my fall shed started early this year. Ugh.

Usually it seems to hit some time during October and goes on for about three months.
The other times of the year I do not shed much, but the big "fall fall" is always impressive... unfortunately.
Just good that it will go by eventually :)

hmmm
September 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I shed in winter, which is probably the same sort of climate as fall for people in more temperate regions.

It would be something like November-January/February.

Islandgrrl
September 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Now. Right freaking now.

It doesn't usually last for more than a few weeks, but wow is it unnerving when it's happening!

LaurelSpring
September 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Now. Right freaking now.

It doesn't usually last for more than a few weeks, but wow is it unnerving when it's happening!

Yes, Mine just started also. The last couple of shampoos have been freaking me out. I started putting castor oil on it last night to see if that would help any. ARRGH!! shudder:

CourtneyBee
September 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
How can you tell? I seem to always loose at least 10 hairs because its always tied up. Am I going to loose MORE this fall? :(

Anje
September 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think mine's been going for a few weeks and is starting to settle down. Hope so, anyway. Maybe new school years cause shedding?

In other news, I'm regretting that I got into using sulfates back when I was experimenting with cones. I kept using them, and my hair keeps greasing up in about 2 days. Trying to go back to CO and get over my "but my hair's greasy and needs more" mental block. Ah, the joys of a reactive scalp! :justy:

jeanniet
September 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Early summer (around June for about 3-4 weeks), and then a lighter one in the fall, around October or so. We've had a very strange summer this year--very cool--so it'll be interesting to see what happens with the fall shed.

GorgeousMonster
September 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I think I have a shedding event every month or when I'm stressed out I notice it more...:poot:

ktani
September 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I did a post on this 2 years ago, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=363568&postcount=104. It is real.

Another study, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2003996

Ravenwaves 88
September 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM
You know I have heard about this reading on LHC but I never noticed until recently. I've been worried since that past few weeks my shower hair balls are growing. I'm glad to hear it's normal. I guess I'm more in tune with my hair than ever before, and now it's a huge part of my personal care. :)

ktani
September 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM
You know I have heard about this reading on LHC but I never noticed until recently. I've been worried since that past few weeks my shower hair balls are growing. I'm glad to hear it's normal. I guess I'm more in tune with my hair than ever before, and now it's a huge part of my personal care. :)

I never quite believed it until I researched it, lol. Not people's reports here, those I do believe and thought it was more individual. I never believed that humans shed seasonally.

~bear
September 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
This thread is right on time (My first post too:o). Does anyone ever notice scalp irritation increase with the increase in shedding? I very occasionally get a dry scalp, never flaky, more tight but lately this hair shed has felt huge (even though I'm quite sure it is normal) and I think I had a few days where I obsessed over it a bit and I can't tell if I potentially aggravated my scalp by constantly playing with it or if I am just experiencing the irritation from the air change too. I tend to be a heavy shedder but it always freaks me out.

lapushka
September 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM
September and March, the beginning of fall and spring; the same thing every year. It lasts about a month.

lsnyder09
September 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
This summer at home (Tropical...hot hot hot) my shedding was WAY low, but since coming back to school (mid west) my hair has started shedding like crazy. I was really nervous at first, but this post gives me some ease of mind. I didn't realize that it was a normal part of hair growth. I just always figured i was more stressed or something (but I definitely didn't feel stressed). The weather is getting much cooler, so that make be why I started so quickly.

Brianna
September 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Mostly during the summer. It's still not stopped entirely, but I'm hoping it'll pass soon. Perversely, it also seems like that is the time it grows the fastest. :rolleyes:

Cleopatra18
September 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I defently shed more in spring and fall.it's also a bit higher in the summer than winter but within range.

audchik
September 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Weird coincidence. I just got through washing my hair and noticed I was shedding way more than usual. I never noticed a shedding season before but right now may be it. Either that or I'm doing something bad to my hair without knowing it :uhh:

Pixna
September 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Now. Right freaking now.

Yep. Me too!!! :blueeek:

ktani
September 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This thread is right on time (My first post too:o). Does anyone ever notice scalp irritation increase with the increase in shedding? I very occasionally get a dry scalp, never flaky, more tight but lately this hair shed has felt huge (even though I'm quite sure it is normal) and I think I had a few days where I obsessed over it a bit and I can't tell if I potentially aggravated my scalp by constantly playing with it or if I am just experiencing the irritation from the air change too. I tend to be a heavy shedder but it always freaks me out.

Welcome to LHC!

No, to when I shed more my scalp being more irritated, unless I am shedding for another reason. My hair does not shed excessively. However, I recently used some questionable catnip buds and for whatever reason, one time only after using them twice, I had a massive shed, massive for me in any case. My scalp was also sensitive right after that.

I used my usual shampoo and went back to my usual catnip and the irritation vanished thereafter.

Blueneko
September 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I shed from about August to October. I too hate losing the long lovelies. :( I just think... "This is 3 years of healthy hair living!"

sweet*things
September 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I think I'm at the tail end of my seasonal shed. The past few days it seems to be getting back to normal, but before that I was losing handfuls every day. I was starting to freak out.:(

Speckla
September 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Psychic coincidence! :scared: :wink:
This morning when putting up my hair and looking at the decent sized Tribble in my comb, I was just thinking that my fall shed started early this year. Ugh.

Usually it seems to hit some time during October and goes on for about three months.
The other times of the year I do not shed much, but the big "fall fall" is always impressive... unfortunately.
Just good that it will go by eventually :)

I think your tribble got too close to my hair....mine gave birth to twins...one last night and one this am!

Finoriel
September 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
:laugh: I guess our Tribbles can have a party then. Morning and evening combing today triplicated mine, too.
Yes, autumn shed really hit me early this year. Not surprising though, it's quite autumy here already.

By the way, (tmi-joke ahead, kind of :wink:) you all know the stories about synchronising ahem cycles? :silly:
What if it's not the season, but LHC synchronising our shed cycles? Eek! :p

FrannyG
September 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've been trying to find a pattern as to when I shed more for the past four years, and I've come to the conclusion that I really don't have a "shedding season".

My hair's shed rate is pretty much the same all year around, with perhaps a few days a month having more shedding than the rest of the month, and no, I can't relate it to any hormonal cycles.

JamieLeigh
September 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I must be changing my shed seasons...normally I shed in spring to early summer...but I've been dropping hairs like crazy since early this month. I lost a baby in January, and shed hair madly for six months straight, it seemed. And now here we go again with the shedding! So I think my hormones threw my cycles off. :p

motormuffin
September 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
My hair is shedding more than normal now too and I remember it doing this last year. My husband will argue that it sheds all the time. He hates are the hair on the floor. What do you do with your shed hair? I think I might install a dust buster in my bathroom.

Medievalmaniac
September 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I am definitely shedding right now. It's depressing. I freaked out about it yesterday...but then I remembered I hadn't shampooed in a week and that made me feel a little better...! Hopefully it's over soon, though - that was a lot of hair!

CherrySilver
September 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I used to shed pretty much during the autumn and winter months like clockwork, also when I was very stressed and not taking my vitamins. However, my shed rate is pretty much zilch these days. The only thing I can attribute it to is a.m./p.m. scalp massages with whatever topical I've whipped up (mn, oil-based, etc.). Even with all the manipulation, I'm at less than 10 hairs a day and most of that is breakage.

LunarAurora
September 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Mine is usually autumn, but this year it has begun in August and it seems to have stopped already (well, I hope so) I also shed in winter but it is less impressive.

Chestershire
September 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think it has recently ended. I had no idea what was happening. Like in the shower,10 hairsgone.Comb through it, BAM, 10 more gone.
And so on throughout the entire day. But now everything eems normal again.. This is the first year I'm observing my hair so closely and taking better care and all, so i was a shedding-noticing virgin

urara12
September 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I never pay attention with my hair shed beofre.
but seems like more hair shed since July. average is 80 on July and Aug.

I wonder if anyone count shed hair least for a month?
I read all over that **hair shed a lot ** ** long hair shed looks more ** etc
I noticed that my hair shed looks 20 or so but if I count them
it's like 40 or more. sometime looks a lot but it's just like 25.

Fethenwen
October 29th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Reviving this thread because I think (or at least hope) that my shedding right now is just seasonal. I haven't really paid that much attention to my hair before like last year, so not sure what this is. If the same thing happens next fall about the same time of the year then I could actually draw some conclusions.

I seem to shed like 10 hair at a time every time I comb or brush or wash it, and it is starting to worry me a bit. This morning I drew my fingers through my bangs a few times and 20 short hairs fell out O_O
Today I did an emergency amla/neem hairpack, hope it helps.

chrissy-b
October 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM
September and March, the beginning of fall and spring; the same thing every year. It lasts about a month.

This is pretty much my shedding season too, though my spring shed starts about mid-March and isn't anywhere as heavy as the one that happens in September.

chrissy-b
October 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Reviving this thread because I think (or at least hope) that my shedding right now is just seasonal. I haven't really paid that much attention to my hair before like last year, so not sure what this is. If the same thing happens next fall about the same time of the year then I could actually draw some conclusions.

I seem to shed like 10 hair at a time every time I comb or brush or wash it, and it is starting to worry me a bit. This morning I drew my fingers through my bangs a few times and 20 short hairs fell out O_O
Today I did an emergency amla/neem hairpack, hope it helps.

I bet it's the fall shed (at least, I'm hoping it is for you! :flower:). The first time I really noticed mine, I was using a new product and I freaked out. But it happened again the past two years at the same time with no change in my routine so I freaked out less. :)

Friesiangirl
October 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm having an extra bad shedding season this year. It started about 3wks ago and I expect it to last until mid November. We're talking like 200 hairs per day. It's miserable. And itchy :/

Hayley

christine1989
October 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Mine is consistent year round except when something unusual causes it to shed. The only big sheds I have had was the first week of starting Yaz and when taking a super high dose of prednezone a few months ago.

SilvraShadows
October 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I am hoping it's only a seasonal shed for me at this time... I've been shedding lots for years, fairly consistently, and lost over half my thickness. Then all of a sudden last winter that stopped. It was so wonderful. I've been so happy! Then sometime in September I had a sickening deja vu experience and thought... here we go again... but it seems to have slowed again. So, yes, I am hoping Autumn is my time, just like the leaves...

littlenvy
November 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Question for you all.
I usually have just regular shedding associated with everyday hair handling. But once in a while I get the “big” one. My last one was in September. I also just realized that the one before that was 7 years ago.
Could this mean that my hair will reach terminal length after 7 years? Or those two things have nothing to do with the other.?