PDA

View Full Version : New here...need help

queencain
September 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'm Amanda. I have frizzy, wavy in places, thick hair. I had a short bob and have been trying to grow it out for 2 years. I'm a little past my chin. I have dark hair which I've highlighted blonde. Tomorrow I am going in to get some dark put in. My husband has pretty much told me to cut it short if I want. I'm just frustrated. I would love to grow it out, but it gets poofy! And I'm frustrated because I want to grow it faster. Does anyone have any tips?

Currently I use biolage hydrating shampoo and conditioner every other day. I then use biosilk and when I blowdry or straighten my hair. I also either use treseme heat protectant spray or john frieda syrum.

I really don't want to give up growing my hair out. But I'm getting antsy. I need suggestions!!! Product suggestions. I would really love to cut back on the heat tools.

spidermom
September 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Frizzy, thick, wavy hair air-dried and at an awkward stage:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg
(I was doing a project that day with my goth niece; she did my makeup.)

Back in those days, the blow-dryer and the large barrel curling iron were my friends (I had to cut out a lot of damage as I grew along, though). At times, my hair would look decent enough if I merely finger-combed a gob of gel through it. I got sort of a wet-look, wavy/curly (wurly) bob.

Now look where I am! Growth happens. Enjoy the journey. Welcome.

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hi!! There are so many answers. Poof, waves and frizz can all but be eliminated by the right routine. No reason you shouldn't be able to grow it :) Finding the right products and right routine is the best place to start, and can be an arduous process. There is a visual hair ytping guide here, I would suggest going and typing your hair 1st. This way people with the same type can share with you, and you can find threads here based on your hair type.
Tackle one thing at a time, your routine, maybe the coloring, then the frizz/waves, then the damage, etc, etc. Trying to fix it all at once is tricky. GL!

queencain
September 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks so much ladies! Very encouraging :) Can you point me to wear the visual typing guide is?

manderly
September 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I always love Spidermom's pic, since that's what mine looked a lot like.

Yes, if you are a wavy/curly and you're at that stage, there is no reason to not fry the ever-lovin hell out of your hair until it grows a little longer and is able to behave. Just know that you'll have to cut that damage out several years later when your hair has enough length to play well with your head.

Welcome to LHC.

queencain
September 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Ok...I think I'm a 2c :) I found where to go for the hair typing visuals, but I can't access quite yet since I'm new here.

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Really? It's in the links of the VIT's thread. I thought I was able to see it right away when I joined? Too bad, I'm sorry :(

pepperminttea
September 17th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Keep going, the weight of it slowly getting longer should help to reduce a little of the poofyness too. :)

Here's a direct link to Fia's visual hair-typing guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html).

Bene
September 17th, 2010, 10:08 AM
The only thing I could do with my hair at that stage was blowdry and flatiron until it was long enough to pull back in a ponytail.

You could try combing it back, with whatever hair goo you have available, while it's still wet and then tying a bandana around your crown area. It helps with the frizz in the front, and if you don't mind curly/wavy hair in the back, then it could be an alternative to heat styling.

swivelhop
September 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Spidermom scares me in a good way! :pumpkin:
You could fry it, but its 2 years of growth that will eventually be ends to baby or try hair wrapping. It got me through the awkward stage.

Hair wrapping tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-0Ru_OD90