PDA

View Full Version : Do I look bad with long hair?

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hi all,

I've been growing my hair out for the last year and a half and am planning to grow it to terminal, wherever that may be. Hoping for at least to the small of the back, but I've got a long way to go. At any rate, I'm becoming a little self-conscious about my hair and don't really have anyone offering me encouragement at this point in my life. There are a couple things specifically that make me feel like I'm being foolish for following this dream of mine, specifically:

- My hairline. I've always had the hairline I have today, even as a kid. It's not receding, but it almost looks like it is because of how high it is. It's always been high and I have a big forehead to boot, which doesn't help. When people see my hair I worry that they think I'm "an aging hipster" as Dr. Evil would put it. That they'd think I'm balding but trying desperately to cling to my youth, or trying to cover it up, or something like that.

- Hair thickness. My hair is very very fine, and has been this way most of my life. Until recently my diet was always terrible, I'm talking TERRIBLE most of my life... lol. So much junk food, fast food, and especially soda, and very few veggies. I'm sure that has killed the quality of my hair over the years but since I've been making a lot of healthy changes, hopefully it will help my hair reclaim some of the little bit of thickness it had when I was a teen. But, I'm worried its current quality also adds to the "balding guy trying to cling to his youth" picture I imagine people having about me.

I thought I'd post several pictures and would greatly appreciate your feedback. My dream is to have a beautiful flowing mane of hair, but if it's just impossible and I look terrible with it, maybe I should reconsider. I do love having it though.

I made the mistake of posting a similar thread on a forum I frequent that is dominated by... well... typical conservative young American guys of which 90 percent have buzzcuts or shaved heads . For my trouble I was treated to all sorts of wonderful comments telling me how I look like a serial killer, drug addict, burnout, etc etc etc. Some even worse which I won't post.

I guess by posting here, where you all value hair more than most people, I'd get some real opinions from quality people. So without further adieu, allow me to link the pics:

Here are 2 with my hair down:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/me04.jpg?t=1284729661

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/me05.jpg?t=1284729692

And 1 more with it in a tail, parted to the side.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/me06.jpg?t=1284729841

As you can see the frontal hairs are much shorter than the back, but I have only been growing it a year and a half. I think in a couple more years the front will have caught up with the back, improving the overall look of the mane tremendously despite the high hairline. In some ways I still consider myself to be in an "awkward stage" since the front doesn't behave at all right now... lol. One little gust of wind and everything is messed up.

But please, be honest with me. Do I look okay with long hair? Will I look good with a very long mane at the length I mentioned? I know I shouldn't worry about what other people think, but as a guy who's single again after 13 years I guess I don't want to kill my chances of attracting Ms. Right... lol.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to your comments, good or bad.

Razor
September 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Well as a long haired duder myself, I certainly don't think anything negative of it.
I think its suits ya mate, Lookin' good ;)

Nae
September 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Well, I like the long hair look. Your hairline is a little high but not like "balding" high. It, in my opinion, is in the normal range for hairlines. I think the shorter bits in the front will look a bit better as it grows out. It just looks like you are in a slightly awkward stage but it is on it's way to true awesomeness!

I have found that many times the longer haired guys I see have very dry looking hair because I think they just grow it and forget it. There are guys here at LHC that have absolutely stunning hair because they know how to care for it!!! I would take some daily vitamins if you are worried about your nutrients, biotin is popular here for helping with hair growth!

Personally, I would just baby it, watch for split ends, trim them with a pair of sharp scissors when you find them, just one at a time. We call that seach and destroy or an S&D session. Just start browsing the boards and you will be a hair god in no time!!

Messyhair
September 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM
You look good to me! Many people seem to not like long hair on anyone. Don't listen to them, and just go with what feels right to you.

DavidN
September 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM
First of all, I am sorry that you were subjected to those unkind remarks on that other forum.

You have a great mane there, are off to an excellent start, and there is no reason that you cannot have that mane that you dream of. Good luck to you, and you can count on lots of support in this community.

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
You look fine. I think you might just need to treat your hair, scalp, and diet, as you mentioned - a little better. Your hair is fine which means if you want it long, it's going to need more attention in some ways.
Do you use any oils or growth treatments on your scalp?
Do you use things like irons or dryers?
What do you use to wash/condition your hair? How often?
How do you handle your hair in terms of manipulation?

It's not just going to look good because we wish it so. It takes work, which I'm sure you know already :)
(I seriously meant that in the nicest way^^^)

guilty_biscuit
September 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hair that starts further back on the forehead is traditionally a sign of intelligence.

I think you look quite professional in the photo with your hair pulled back--not at all like a burnout.

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Excellent guys, thanks for the kind feedback. Imagine that, kindness on an internet forum? Lol.... :)

I'll gladly take any advice you offer regarding products, care, treatments, etc etc. You guys know more than anyone and I'm certainly seeking knowledge.

Basically my routine is as follows -- I only co-wash, have experimented with a number of conditioners but right now am using Mane -n- Tail. I rinse in cool water and pat dry after the shower. From there I put a little Neutrogena triple moisture lotion in the hair to give it moisture and weight. Then I let it air dry and brush it when it's dry.

I know there's a lot more I can do, just don't know what specifically I SHOULD do... lol.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. :)

Themyst
September 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I think it looks fantastic on you. Don't worry about what other narrow-minded people are thinking. I'm sure there are a good many people out there that don't like mine, but why should I concern myself with them?

swivelhop
September 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I think you look fine. The backdrop is messing up the scene however. If you are taking photos for posting to a profile try the great outdoors it is always lovely. The side part is very flattering to your face, as is the ponytail. However.... mainstream fashion has an issue men's ponytails at the moment. It might be time to wear the hair down more often or learn a braid.

Sundial
September 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I like it long on you. Give it some time? Perhaps you can look into supplements or a change in routine, but even those will take some time before the effects show right?

It took you so long to get your hair to the length it is today. Why not give it a couple more months or maybe even a year before you decide? It will be a waste to snip it off when the condition may be remedied by a small change in routine or lifestyle or diet.

Perservere and have some patience :D

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Themyst - Good point, thanks.

Swivelhop - Yeah, sorry about the men's room backdrop... LOL. :D I was at work when I took those and that's the only place with a mirror. I'll take the next pics in a more... savory setting.

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM
And Sundial -- Thanks. I wasn't planning on cutting it, especially not any time soon. I definitely want to see how it looks with a couple more years of growth. :)

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Main N Tail I think is loaded with protein, how does your hair respond? When I 1st started figuring, I had to determine what my hair reacted well to, which oils, did it like protein, or cones, how does it repsond to too much or too little of a few different variables. Maybe you have been there, done that already, I don't know.

I also have fine hair and get fair results from scalp massages both with fingertips and a paddle brush, oilings with things like rosemary, cayenne, peppermint, amla, salicylic acid, etc...

ktani
September 17th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Welcome to LHC!

I think that you look cool with it long. A lot of muscians and artists wear long hair at any age and it is and has been mainstream for a long while now.

The conservative males you speak of are just a little bit behind the times?, lol. Not so long ago a shaved head meant "skinhead" and a supremacist philosophy. Things have changed for that too. Now a shaved head is just a shaved head.

If this is a dream of yours, pursue it. It is your dream and yours to do with what you please. I cannot see your hair length causing you any difficulties in your private or personal life. There is no reason I am aware of as to why you should not go for it.

StarryNight
September 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Welcome! I think your hairline looks normal, and healthy. You certainly don't look like an aging hipster to me. Your hair may be at an awkward stage in growth right now (and I really do understand this as I cut mine to only a couple of inches in high school and wore it that way for years), but it will get easier to handle as it grows and you become an old hand at all this hair stuff. :)
The LHC is unlike any forum I have seen online - the people here are so WONDERFUL.
Good luck on your growth journey, and I hope you attain that beautiful, flowing mane of hair you that dream of!

UltraBella
September 17th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Paladin, I like your hair in a ponytail. I will be honest, I really do not tend to like braids on men, unless you are Willie Nelson. That man could rock braids like no one else !
I do like short hair on men, in general, but long hair can be very attractive and it just does not matter what others think. It's your hair and only you have to be happy with it.
Good luck growing it !

Dientje
September 17th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I think you look very cute with long hair, but hey, I'm biased :D I love guys with long hair...

I don't think you hair is too thin, or you look like you're balding, so don't worry about that. It does seem a bit fluffy to me, as if it is a bit dry, though it shouldn't be when I read how you take care of it. I have no idea what condish you are using, I don't know the brand but I do know that my hair is very picky about conditioner. It only likes one brand, and behaves perfectly when I use that. Just try different things, and I'm sure you'll find the perfect routine for you!

A good way to start here is to read Ursula's standard newbie advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39), and there are a lot more interesting threads here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32573).

So, good luck, and welcome!

going gray
September 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM
If YOU like the way YOU look, that's the ONLY thing that counts!!!

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Thank you everyone. After reading your comments I feel a lot better about the hair than I did yesterday, I'll say that much. :D Like I said I know I shouldn't worry about what other people say, but everyone needs a little encouragement now and again. ;)

I'm certainly going to enjoy being part of this community.

breezefaerie
September 17th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I like your long hair, the pony-tail pic in particular. Have fun growing it!

Bonkers57
September 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
You don't look like a burnout to me! Whoever told you that was either stupid or blind. You look very clean and well-groomed.

I can sympathize about the high forehead 'cause I have one, too. But like everyone else says here, do what pleases you and to h3ll with the stupid people!

eamane
September 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I think long hair looks good on you :)

Caldonia Sun
September 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I like it best in the ponytail. Just take care of it, get regular trims so the ends look good and let it alone. Burnouts, drug addicts, etc. don't bother taking care of their hair and keeping it as nice as it can be.

P.S. Lose the urinal for the next pic :)

spidermom
September 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I don't see anything wrong with how you look. Your hair might need a drop of oil or a little conditioner; I got the impression that it's a bit dry.

marzipanthecat
September 17th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Honestly? I think you look fine. Perfectly OK. I think it suits you very well tied back (don't worry, it looks OK down as well!).

I really should add that I think your attitude may well be affected by where you live - it's not a big deal for men to have long hair where I live. In people of school age, boys frequently have longer hair than girls here. I have relatives all over the world, and just to pick one example (and I sincerely do not mean any disrespect to anyone from there!) - in South Carolina (USA) men with long hair do seem to have a rough time and some very nasty and scary comments. It's all rather different here (Devon, England).

Bene
September 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
First of all, you win 30 extra cool points for the shots next to the urinal :D

But yeah, I agree you are in a bit of an awkward stage. Looks like you could use a light conditioner, since you have fine hair and you don't to weigh it down. Doesn't look necessarily bad. Just take care of it. Can't really gauge whether or not you should have long hair until you've been taking care of it and babying it and treating it like it's your best friend. Then once you've been consistent about it, THEN you can make that call.

I say keep it, take care of it, do the research. Growing long hair is a long term project. There are highs and lows along the way. Give it time :)

paperwhite
September 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I really like the pony tail picture, you don't look aging to me at all! If you're finding that your hair feels a little dry, try testing out a conditioner that imparts more moisture with lower amounts of protein. Also, deep treatments here and there can also help. Experiment a little--the worst that can happen is that you find a product you're not fond of, and the best is that you can find out what your hair loves and stick with it :)

I'm sorry you got so much negative feedback on that other site. How a person wears their hair is no way to judge them. If you are happy with having long hair, then you should go for it!

Welcome to LHC! Happy growing! :D

ETA: I didn't even answer your question! No, you don't look bad at all. You can definitely pull off long hair, no problem.

heidihug
September 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think the ponytail looks great - I'm partial to that hairstyle for guys with longer hair. Keep on growing and do what YOU want to do. And please know, it's not just guys who are criticized or looked upon questionably for growing their hair long - on the very few times I've gone into public with my hair down, I get a lot of stares and negative mutters. Long hair is really outside the norm in a lot of places.

Oh, and I wear it up all the time because I love my hair that way, not because of the stares and mutters :), I don't care a whit what other people say.

irishlady
September 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think you look very nice :)

Messy Cook
September 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Paladin, I have to agree with Bene, the fact that the pictures were made in the men's room just made them more special. ;)

In my opinion you do not have the " Me..bald? Well, I do have a rather high forehead."-look.
You are well on your way to having shiny, long hair. You have a pretty good routine going, already so much better than what many others do.
At this moment a ponytail might be more handy, just because your hair seems to be in one of the awkward phase lengths but when it is longer it will flow more and stay behind your shoulders.
You look good in both, don't worry.

There is a wealth of knowledge here in this forum and the open mindedness of the members is what makes it a nice place to come home to.
So many different hair types, styles, treatments and everyone is welcome and on their own journey of growth.

Good luck and happy growing! :)

chelseamichelle
September 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I think you really suit the ponytail!

There's no reason you shouldn't grow your hair, if it makes you happy then do it. Negative comments are quite common for people with long hair, women included, so don't let that bother you! People on the internet can and will be very mean.

I don't notice the hairline thing, I think it looks normal. And you will find lots of people around here who are growing their fine hair, you can look at pictures for inspiration.

The best thing to do is look around the forum and read as much as you can about caring for your hair type, I'm sure you will find lots of new things to try :) and people around here will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Welcome to LHC, and happy growing!

Anje
September 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I like it, and I don't think you look bad with long hair.

Concerning the high forehead, thin hair thing... My husband had the exact same sort of thing going on -- his hair on top was a little thin, and his forehead is high with the hairline a bit back, and he insists that it's the exact same hairline he had since puberty. The thinness actually caused him to give up on growing it out. Well, about a year ago he got fed up with his hair for the umpteenth time, gave in to the self-doubt that maybe it was getting thinner (I don't think it was in the 7 years I'd known him), and got some generic Rogaine (5%). I still don't think his hair was thinning before, but it was starting to look thicker in a month or two, and it's definitely significantly thicker now. His hairline's still in about the same place, since it never seemed to move in the first place.
I don't know if his experience will translate to anyone else, but if you feel like trying it, you might find the experiment worth-while. It's not terribly expensive -- about $20 for 3 months' supply with the Walmart stuff.

pepperminttea
September 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I think it suits you. :) The hairline looks normal to me, nothing to worry about. Welcome to the LHC!

Babyfine
September 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I like the pony tail pic as well. I think your hair looks nice like that.
I have very fine hair, too, though it's wavy. I found that eating a healthy diet and taking a good multivitamin or hair vitamin made a big difference in the shine and health of my hair(that plus gentle care learned here) My hair isn't a whole lot thicker than it used to be- but it's shinier and stronger than it used to be.
I like Nioxin recharging vitamins but they are hard to find(even online) and expensive. Right now I take GNC hair skin and nails.
It took about 90 days before I noticed a difference with the vitamins and better care.

Quixii
September 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I like it. Looks good to me. :)
If I had to pick anything that you look like with your hair, I'd probably say a musician of some sort.

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Awesome feedback guys, and I'm glad you like the hair. I'm making notes of the tips you guys are giving me and will definately go into "project mode" with the hair, and spend more time caring for it. I wear it in a tail most of the time, mainly for work (so glad i've got a good IT job that lets me have long hair) but usually at the gym and out in public too.

With regards to the rogaine thing, I have considered trying it just to see if it would make a difference, but am not quite ready to do so. We'll see if it improves over time with the changes in my diet and supplementation, and down the road if not I'll likely give it a shot. :)

Thanks again everyone!

misstwist
September 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Wow!

Your hairline doesn't look like it's receding to me.

With your physique it truly looks like warrior hair and very masculine to me.

Love the ponytail!

xoxophelia
September 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think it looks good when it is pulled back but it looks slightly unkempt down. Perhaps some type of moisture treatment would help.

May
September 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Paladin,
Ok here's the truth...

You look fine and you're a nice looking person.

That being said most women like shorter hair on a man. If you are trying to find Ms. Right, for every 1 woman who likes long hair on a guy there are 20 women who prefer short hair. Don't let your long hair become a pride thing or listen to your buddies telling you how cool it looks long. It doesn't matter if you've been growing it for 1 year and a half or 10 years...if it's not helping you reach your goals then you might want to reconsider why you even want long hair at all. That look might be comsidered 'out of date' to some women and I just think your odds of meeting the right women will increase if you can get a hairstyle that makes you look your best. ;) You asked if anyone thought that your hair might be a deterrent in meeting a woman and I have to be honest and say 'yes I think it will'.

I hope you're not offended by what I've said but I wanted to throw my opinion out there in case you've never heard one like it before.:puppy:

linda g
September 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hi, and welcome :)

I don't think your hairline is a problem, but I do think that your are going through a bit of an awkward phase with the shorter hair in the front, and it looks a bit messy at this point. I am sure this is a stage you can grow past, though!

Of the pictures you posted, my most positive gut reaction was to the ponytail one. That is a better look on you at the moment than the loose hair, in my opinion.

Edited to add: I have a high forehead too. It's obviously a sign of an intelligent person! :D

Gumball
September 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I think it looks just fine. Ultimately having longer hair as a guy is just a matter of being comfortable in your own skin. I completely understand how having people out there who try to advocate against the choice of long hair on a guy can put a series damper on things. I went through that for years. The main things that will make it good is loving it on yourself, taking in all the good compliments, even if they're few and far between, and doing your best to shrug off all the negativity. It's really your journey and nobody else's.

Calaelen
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'd like to jump in to say that I was totally surprised by your pics when I saw them. You'd talked down about your hairline, and thinness so much, that I was expecting exactly what you'd been describing. Then I see the pics, and your hair looks really nice. You don't look like you're balding at all.

Your hair does look slightly dry, and with the program you described, it may very well be that your hair doesn't like all that protein.

I recommend getting a super cheap clarifying shampoo and giving it two washes. Yes the wash and repeat, it isn't just a tip to get you to buy more product. Then try switching your conditioner for some time, because the Mane N Tail is high protein..

I also wanted to comment on your question about whether or not the long hair might keep you from finding Ms Right. I really don't think so, because if your long hair keeps MS Right away, then it seems she wasn't the right lady in the first place. Yes, looks are always going to be something that we notice when looking for a partner, but it isn't the be all and end all. If you have long hair, and you like it, then keep it, and a lady will come along who will see you for who you really are. You said that the long hair is a dream of yours, and that you want it. That is real. So go for it, it looks nice on you. When the lady who comes along is willing to take you as you are, she will be Ms Right.

Jenw777
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Oh my gosh, when you pull it into a pony and you can see your face, you look absolutley yummalicious!

Angharad
September 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I think that having long hair is THE :joy: look for you!

Don't give another minute of energy to those men or boys who are sooooo narrowminded; they are probably the type of guys I couldn't care less about if they were in my surroundings (class, work, neighbourhood).

I think it is very good that you already changed your "junkfood" lifestyle in a more healthy one to give your hair the nourishment it needs, but you could also do for example cassia-treatments (neutral henna that doesn't colour your hair) to give your hair more thickness, shine and strenght if that is what you are after.

May I ask, is your haircolour your own or do you chemically dye your hair?

If this is your ow haircolour then cassia treatments will only do good to your hair (if it is chemically dyed it may cause reactions like green hair or otherwise).

Hope you will learn to see the truth about your long hair and that it actually suits you very well indeed!!!!

Othala
September 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Your hairline, your hair now and your hair at whatever your terminal length will be are all great and they suit you.

I personally like the combination of masculine looking guy and fine hair....but then, I'm biased.....

My Hubby, with hair washed and uncombed.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/simiyusef/IMGP2798.jpg

Hubby , with an oiled braid.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/simiyusef/IMGP2423.jpg

Photos are form 2007 and his hair is heading toward waist :D.

paperwhite
September 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Oh my gosh, when you pull it into a pony and you can see your face, you look absolutley yummalicious!

Seconded :)

slz
September 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Don't let your long hair become a pride thing or listen to your buddies telling you how cool it looks long. It doesn't matter if you've been growing it for 1 year and a half or 10 years...if it's not helping you reach your goals then you might want to reconsider why you even want long hair at all. That look might be comsidered 'out of date' to some women and I just think your odds of meeting the right women will increase if you can get a hairstyle that makes you look your best. ;) You asked if anyone thought that your hair might be a deterrent in meeting a woman and I have to be honest and say 'yes I think it will'.

This applying if and only if finding a mate is to you of more importance than being yourself - which would undoubtedly attract people who like your inner self, and not an image of yourself you'd give out in order to "attract a mate".
It's your own choice !

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Wow, you guys are just too much. :) Starting to make me blush here in my cubicle... lol.

May - yep I know full well going into this that the majority of women out there prefer short hair on men. To me being the man I want to be is more important that changing myself to appeal to a wider audience, if that answers your question. So the hair comes first in this regard. ;)

Calaelen - I'll try that, thanks. I may be a total newbie at this but in the past when I've looked at stores for actual "clarifying shampoo" I couldn't seem to find anyone and nobody knew what to tell me there. Can you specify a brand I should look for?

Angharad - This is my natural color. I'm extremely afraid of dyes since I feel that my hair is in no position to take a beating with chemicals... lol. I'll look into what you mentioned. I mean if it will really thicken the hair and keep it healthy while not changing color, no reason not to do it in my book.

And everyone else -- thanks for your feedback, pics, and experiences. Glad to be here amongst you, and if anything, I've learned a good lesson about what places a chap should AVOID posting about certain things... lol. :D

melrose1985
September 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think you look fantastic with the longer hair. I like it a lot.

You sort of remind me of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast with the pony tail, all many and what not- it's a good thing!

Honey39
September 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
You look hawt!!!

I prefer longer hair on a man, but obviously most men don't have long hair, so I deal with it *sniff*

Your hair looks absolutely fine, and it really suits you. Don't give in to other people's conventions, I think it suits your personality and you are a very good looking man - it really makes you stand out

Islandgrrl
September 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I like your hair. I don't have a short hair picture to compare it to, but that doesn't really matter. It looks nice long.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you're happy with it long, that is what is important. Don't let someone else's opinion dictate what you do with your appearance. I'm always amazed that people (total strangers sometimes) feel comfortable blurting out things like, "Your hair is too long, you should cut it." I'm always tempted to say something like, "Your a** is enormous, you should do something about that!"

The way I look at it is this: If your hair wasn't meant to be long, it wouldn't keep growing!

Be happy with your hair. You look very fine.

Calaelen
September 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi again, Well if you can't find one that specifically says it is clarifying, no worries, just look for one that is clear. You don't want a moisturizing one, or one that is pearlescent or opaque. I do know that Pantene, and Fructis both have specific clarifying shampoos, but if you're barely going to use it, don't spend a lot. Just look for something in a clear bottle that is see through. At this point any SLS shampoo is going to clarify, but you want something that is going to rinse right out without leaving any residue on the hair. Then grab any low, or no, protein condish you can find, and let it soak in for moisture. :) Good luck, and be you!

Oh! I just though of another thing, if you can bring yourself to do this, rinsing your hair at the end with an apple cider vinegar rinse is also very good for your hair, I actually use it place of any conditioners, it is maybe the best thing for hair ever, as it normalizes the pH, ensures there is no residue left in your hair to build up over time, and it is great for any scalp issues that might be there too, as it is anti fungal. You just mix about 2 tbsp to about 2 cups of water, rinse it really well through your clean hair, and then let water run over your head to get out any vinegar smell.

joyellen
September 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Another fan of your long hair here. :D I think it looks great, and kudos to you for growing it out because you want to in spite of some people's rude reactions. As for clarifying shampoo, I use Suave daily clarifying once every couple of weeks.

little_cherry
September 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Oh man, I never understand why people think it's 'hilarious' to comment on someone's looks like that. >_< Try to ignore those other guys. You're in the right place now. You will never get a negative hair comment here. :)

That said, I think your hair is awesome! A long flowing mane sounds fantastic. Never give up on your hopes and dreams. :)

archionblu
September 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I think you look very dashing! When it's pulled back, you look a bit like Jean Val Jean from "Beauty and the Beast", except, y'know, nice, instead of douchey. Very handsome. Don't give up on it! :)

LaurelSpring
September 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I think you look totally hot!! When I first read your post I was not expecting to see such great looking hair on such a great looking guy when I clicked on the link. Whatever you are doing it seems to be working so I would say keep up the good work and go for it. :applause

constantki
September 17th, 2010, 12:40 PM
You look so sophisticated with your hair pulled back!
I love long hair on you personally, but of course I'm a tad bit biased :D

Danaus plexippu
September 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
You sort of remind me of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast with the pony tail, all many and what not- it's a good thing!

I was thinking you looked like the Beast after he changed back into the prince...you know, in the end, the ballroom and they're dancing. Yep, you look very much the handsome prince. In a bathroom instead of a ballroom. Heehee!

cuddledumplin
September 17th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I think long hair suits you very well.

tinti
September 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I think it suits you very well. I like men with long(er) hair, so I'd say it's not a turn off, but tneh I'm biased :D

Oh and your forehead isn't half as bad as mine :D I'd say it's normal.

invisiblebabe
September 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I think it works on you, and your hairline does not look like it is receding.

I should tell you, though, that given your hair type, as your hair grows longer it is likely to have significant taper at the ends and look thinner along the length. Whether or not you want to have that look is up to you.

Angeletti
September 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I say you should keep your hair long. Honestly when I looked at your pics I didn't think balding. As for your diet and hair type, I have the same type of hair as you along with the bad eating habits and I'm currently almost at classic length, so don't let that discourage you! As for what those guys were saying just tell them to screw off, I feel like the majority of society has to be like everyone else and criticizes people who want to be different.

Blueneko
September 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I like long hair on a man. I am not sure how to care for fine hair, but I am sure if you roam around the site you will find lots of tips and hints to help it stay healthy. One thing I used on my own hair that really added to its thickness and shine was a molasses recipe. Basically molasses and some condition (VO5) and oils to make the mixture less sticky. You could put that on your list of things to try out.

Edit: If you like eating things like salmon, avocados, or cooking with olive oil I think that will help your diet (and thus your hair) tremendously.

FrannyG
September 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I must admit that I looked at the photos before reading your post. When I did read it, I was surprised by your remark about your hair perhaps looking as though it were balding.

It doesn't look that way to me at all. It just looks like that's the shape of your face. You don't have any of the balding characteristics.

I like the long hair look on you, and I say keep it growing. I know that there are some women that like short hair on a man, but believe me, there are a lot of women who like long hair a lot. And women who like long hair really like long hair.

It's best to be who you are, and if your hair is a deal-breaker with a potential woman, then she's likely not Miss Right.

Best of luck to you!

BlueMuse
September 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I love your hair! It suits you very nicely (but I do like long hair on men).

To share a bit of a funny thing with hair comments. My husband has long hair as well and he keeps getting all these comments from women in the 40+ crowd that just love love love his hair. I on the other hand keep getting told I should cut and donate it from the same age group (though not the same ladies). I just found it a little amusing, especially since the stereotype in my area is that the younger generation likes long hair while the older ones tend to frown on it.

vanity_acefake
September 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Paladin, welcome to LHC. I think your hair looks great. Don't listen to the other web site's insulting people. They are probably all jealous as they cannot grow their hair! You will learn so much amazing stuff here about hair care and this forum is full of the most wonderfully helpful and supportive people. Enjoy your hair and remember that you are an individual and that is what makes life so much richer.

PrincessBob
September 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I think it looks kind of nice now and will look down right striking as it kengthens.

Paladin
September 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies everyone. You've certainly helped to pick my spirits up and make my day. :)

It's funny that some of you have compared me to Gaston from B&TB... I happen to be into renaissance faires and medieval/fantasy lore so I guess that works pretty well. Not to mention - of the very few positive replies that I *did* get on that other forum, a couple of them made that same comparison... lol. The other positive ones compared me to WWE wrestlers. *snickers* :D

I'm happy to hear the consensus that having it in a tail complements my appearance, since it's that way most of the day. I'll keep trying different styles and parting it in different places to see what works the best. And I'm going to stock up on some products and really try different routines and programs. Aside from clarifying with shampoo every now and then, I'm going to stick with co-wash only. I just need to keep searching until I find a conditioner my hair loves.

Anyway, you guys rock! Have a great weekend everyone.

silverjen
September 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
You look great, especially in a pony tail. Wow!
There are a lot of women out there who, like me, appreciate long hair on a guy. I have no doubt that when you meet the right someone, your hair is going to one of the things she really likes about you.

beez1717
September 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
welcomd to the long hair for men club. I think you'll look amazing with long hair, I really do. I can't wait to see what you look like in a few years time!

Fiferstone
September 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hooray! Another handsome fellow who is not afraid to grow his hair. :cheese: I'm biased in favor of long hair on men as well, I always have been, even before long hair on men became grudgingly accepted. Definitely try different things, but pace yourself on the experiements, as Ursula points out in her article "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" it's important to change things up very gradually, so that if something works (the condition of your hair improves), you know what change caused the improvement, conversely, if something doesn't work, you'll know exactly what it is that you tried, and that your hair is telling you doesnt' work for it ;).

Oh, May? I think that a person who would be put off by someone's hair cut (or lack thereof) to the point where they wouldn't even consider having a relationship with that person, is probably best left alone. It's Paladin's hair, it's on Paladin's head, and he's the only one who gets a vote. Paladin, your long hair can be a wonderful "shallowness filter." Someone who likes you for you, won't ask you to change your appearance for them. On the flip side, if someone insists that you change your appearance in order to be more attractive/acceptable to them, what else will they want you to change "for me..?"

I'm a big believer in the idea that the right person for you appears at the right time, when you are ready for a committed, long-term relationship, and not before :).

My DH is a long hair, his hair is thinning on top (definitely thinning, but not in the standard male-pattern baldness U-shape), but it still looks good to me, it's coarse, and wavy, and darn-near waist length at this point. He had an awkward shoulder-length stage, which typically is awful to grow through because the standard man's short haircut is usually so layered on the sides, but it looks to me like you've already gotten past most of that stage. My recommendation would be to cut the ends (the hemline) in a blunt cut, straight across the bottom, and then just let it grow, trimming the ends to keep damage to a minimum as you grow it out. You'll have lots of company here.

To make a far too long reply short, welcome to LHC and happy growing :).

akuamoonmaui
September 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM
You look fine, don't stress it! My advise is to just make sure it looks healthy with regular trims and the right care.

Chamomile betty
September 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I think you look just fine. Just get a really good routine. Such as oiling and deep conditioning. You'll get the support you need here.

princessp
September 17th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I think you look good too. Happy growing!

Peter
September 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
May - yep I know full well going into this that the majority of women out there prefer short hair on men. To me being the man I want to be is more important that changing myself to appeal to a wider audience, if that answers your question. So the hair comes first in this regard.
Word!

I gotta say dude, you're looking pretty sharp. I don't think the long hair looks bad at all. I think the shorter bits at the front look great, especially in the second picture. Respect for sticking to your own preferred appearance rather than what other people think it should be. Keep growing!

Dragon
September 18th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Your hair looks great. Suits you. Dont worry about the people who dont like it. Happy growing.

swanns
September 18th, 2010, 03:00 AM
You look very handsome with your hair pulled back especially, the ponytail look suits you and you couldn't get that with short hair :)

estherbeth
September 18th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Ignore the naysayers. Bah on them.

I think it looks great, and it sounds like everyone else thinks it looks good on you, too. I agree with swanns - the ponytail is very flattering on you. It'll probably get thicker as it gets healthier with better treatment, better eating, vitamins, etc.

Lemur_Catta
September 18th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I think you look fine with long hair! It's not as if you are really balding, or have only 10 hairs on your head :D Your hair is probably on the thin side, and it might change if you improve your diet, or might not, but I think you look fine anyway!
Besides, there are a lot of men who have a high forehead without being balding. My father has always been like that, when my mother met him she thought she would grow old with a bald man :D but my dad still has all his hair, even though it's not thick, but it has never been.

maria_asa
September 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Seconded :)

I third this :eyebrows:

Charlotte
September 18th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I think that you will look great with long hair. :) Your forehead looks fine to me and the ponytail looks particularly dashing! :D

Rameau
September 18th, 2010, 07:09 AM
It looks great, long hair looks really manly on men and in my opinion are alot more attractive!

Nera
September 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I think it suites you well. First of all, you should be the one who loves your hair. But i understand that negative responses can be demotivating. I don't really see why it wouldn't look good on you.!

jennyjb
September 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I think you look great with long hair, both loose and in a ponytail. If you want to keep growing it then you shouldn't let other people's nasty comments stop you.

If you haven't already, try to get some hair-friendly elastics for your pony, the ones that don't have a metal join, to minimise any breakage.

Good luck with your hair growth, and make the most of the wealth of experience on here.

Fractalsofhair
September 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'd suggest bangs if you're really worried about your hairline. I don't think they're that common on guys, but I dunno.

Your hair looks fine, a little high, but it's not so high as to I'd think you're balding.

AstrayStar
September 18th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Wow!

Your hairline doesn't look like it's receding to me.

With your physique it truly looks like warrior hair and very masculine to me.

Love the ponytail!

I was just going to say something similar :) When I first saw your pic, you reminded me of the groosalugg from the tv show Angel, who imo, looked better with long hair than short :D

Like the others have said, it's your hair, it is what you want that matters.

Image search link:
http://www.google.ca/images?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=Groosalugg&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=u8WUTMTeA8fOnAfmw6jCCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQsAQwAA&biw=1049&bih=1008

1nuitblanche
September 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
You don't look bad at all with long hair - and I bet that as you continue taking care of it, it will only look better! When Ms. Right comes along, she won't have a problem with your hair either, I'd bet.

Back_To_Basics
September 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
You have a very handsome face, and when you have that,
hair can pretty much be any way and you'll look good.
I'd try to part it down the middle and see how you like it.
Something like this http://www.aaa-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hot-men-long-hairstyle.jpg

Arianwen
September 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I think you suit your hair.

I like long hair, short hair, no hair on a guy. To me what's INSIDE is far more important than the outside. This comes after a miserable 5 year marriage to a long-haired dude, a 2 year relationship with a short-haired guy and my awesome now-husband who''s bald as a pool cue (hereditary baldness.)

If a woman rejects you based on your hair length, she's too shallow to bother with. I mean would you reject an interesting woman based on her hair length? Somehow I doubt it.

Laylah
September 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
LOL for lack of a better word, you look cool with long hair. You really have the right face for it. TBH, some guys don't look good with long hair. You look good with with, but I can imagine that short hair, like a crew cut, would also look nice.

eezepeeze
September 18th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I think the long hair really suits you. You remind me of Adrian Paul from Highlander. ;-)

McFearless
September 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM
You look good! Keep growing!:)

Paladin
September 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks again everyone. Your kindness really is overwhelming. :)

Somebody had asked about what bands I use to put my hair in a tail -- I use those stretchy soft cloth bands that have no metal and are one piece. I try to keep it as loose as possible without sliding down, since I know tying it too tight can pull hair out.

I think I found some clarifying shampoo at Kroger today. Picked up a bottle of Pantene Fragile to Strong for fine hair, the shampoo is completely clear, no color at all. Will that work? I also picked up some Pantene Flat to Volume conditioner for fine hair, will give that a try.

Whijun
September 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Looks good, especially when it's pulled back. I think once your hair gets longer (a bit past shoulder length, maybe) and some better care, I think you would look just as good with it down as well.

Here's something for you to consider about your forehead. I noticed that when your hair is down, it gives you the illusion that your hairline is higher than normal. When you have your hair back, the full view of your temples mitigates that look. Personally, I think you have the face shape and physique to match your forehead.

When I wear my hair down, I keep as much of my hair that will naturally stay tucked over and behind my ears, while the rest of my hair stays behind my shoulders. I think this helps me maintain a cleaner look. You could try it and see if that works for you. Maybe you could even try some of the simpler (aka easier and quicker to do) Lord of the Rings hairstyles.

Keep growing and taking care of that hair. I already know it's going to look good on you.

Fractalsofhair
September 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Any regular shampoo will work, provided the ingredients don't end in -cone or are very low on the ingredient list. VO5 has cheap shampoos that work well for that purpose.

Henrietta
September 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
If you didn't mentioned it, I would never think that your forehead can be considered as big. And I cannot imagine you with short hair, because long hair suits you very well! :)

marzipanfuntime
September 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM
As people have said, an order of cassia will make your hair feel thicker and probably softer. I've gotten really good results with using aloe gel (clear,unscented,alcohol free) to give my fine hair some weight and stylability. Maybe trying some styles will give you a little more love for it as well, like fishtail braids or the aforementioned LOTR styles. Your hair looks good to me, but I do like the sort of Renaissance or metal man look.
On an unrelated note, you have severely nice muscles.
I will now unabashedly scamper off to use to this thread to convince my DH to grown his hair out!

templeofvenus
September 20th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I think it looks really great keep growing it! I am in the awkward phase too but being able to get a pony tail in is helping me now:)

you suit the pony tail! don't listen to anyone else be happy in your own self cause you look great :) I have fine hair and I have to wash it frequently, I like alberto balsam green apple shampoo and conditioner, however trial and error is the best way to find something you like. I feel the main thing to keep hair good and to grow it well is no heat appliances like dryers or straighteners and use a wide tooth comb. Treat it gently and take a good multivitamin supplement.

Locksmith
September 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Actually, I think you look rather distinguished with long hair - your high forehead makes it look somehow more polished IMO :) If it really bothers you, you could always grow a fringe, but I think it looks great.

Schipperchow
September 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think you look fine with long hair, not like an aging hippie or burnout. Some women, myself included, prefer longer hair on a man, but it is an individual thing. It has to suit the person & if your dream is to be a long hair, then I say, "Grow for it!!"

Gojira
November 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Thank you everyone. After reading your comments I feel a lot better about the hair than I did yesterday, I'll say that much. :D Like I said I know I shouldn't worry about what other people say, but everyone needs a little encouragement now and again. ;)

I'm certainly going to enjoy being part of this community.
I hear you. I'm 18 now and started growing my hair at age 12 or so. I have had a lot of negative comments (mostly from men) over the years, but after a while it just doesn't bother you any more. Before I got over the negative comments, I actually did cut it a couple of times and hovered around shoulder length for years. I actually get a lot of positive comments from girls/women and I am sure you do too, or will soon. ;)

Besides that.. I just don't feel right with short hair, really. Long hair is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. :)

Oh, before I forget, you look great. The long hair really suits you IMHO.

Valdeon
November 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Long hair definitely suits you. Just take good care of it, treat it kindly, and in return it will look fabulous.

There is plenty of useful info on this site, so you'll be able to find out everything you need

Eireann
November 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
You look great! Getting snarky comments from strangers and acquaintances is a right of passage for longhairs. :)

ddiana1979
November 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I really like it tied back. You have the type of body & face structure that, IMO, suits long hair on men well. (Hope that didn't come across as sexist or flirtatious, but anyway.)

Tia2010
November 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I think you look fine :) I know it's hard not to take negative comments to heart at times , but try to consider the source. People that can be that cruel to someone they don't know, usually aren't very kind people to begin with.

My son had blond wavy hair down to about BSL and people ALWAYS called him *miss* I didn't matter how much " boy" clothes he was wearing it was always *miss* .....until he couldn't take it anymore and cut it into a "boyish" look at age 12...It made me sad that he felt the need to do it because of what others made him feel :( so don't let their opinions deter you or you may regret it in the end.

curlymarcia
November 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Wow, long hair suits you very well (specially in a low ponytail). Keep groing!!

pixistixx
November 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I think long hair is a good look for you :).. It doesn't look like your hairline is receding at all! you have a nice high forehead, which I've always liked on men. There is lots of good advice here already on caring for your hair.. i'm sure you will have no trouble in that department lol.

chelles2kids
November 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I just thought I'd reply to you're 2nd comment on this thread...CO'ing works for alot of people...but I personally don't like the Mane N' Tail products.

I think something along the lines of Suave or VO5 might be a better alternative for you? Still cheap & lots of great 'flavors' to choose from!;) You can find them almost anywhere, which also makes it easier on you.

There are loads of CO'ing threads around, so I'm sure you'll find more than enough replies to help you out there.

Ooooh & :waving:to the forum!!

emmabovary
November 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Whaaat? I think you look hot! (don't worry, I'm engaged! lol) Sure, your hairline is high but anyone could see it's not receding. I wouldn't take anything those forum frequenting young guys with buzzcuts say to heart. I've seen plenty of longhaired guys with thinner hair than you, but if you wanted to make it look thicker I'd try cassia :) Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Angelica
November 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My first thoughts were that perhaps it wasn't the best place to take photos - in the loo! lmao! But personally I think you look great. I love men in ponytails and I think you looked particularly nice in the last photograph :) Rather artistic.

2peasinapod
November 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I think you look good! Your hair really shows your personality in those pictures. :)

YesitsReal
November 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Nah, I think it looks good. At first glance, you reminded me a bit of Christian Kane on 'Leverage.' If you want it a little thicker, I definitely think some TLC and good nutrition is just what you need. Nutritional deficiencies are notoriously hard on hair.

Just experiment, have fun, and don't listen to naysayers--it's what we do! :D Welcome to the forum!!

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Dude, if you did not look good, would all these women leave pages of flattering comment for you?

Well here is my flattering comment: Your forehead is fine, it looks masculine, not balding. Men pay more attention to that stuff then women do. We are thinking of more important things than foreheads when we meet a man. Also, wear your hair long if your inner spirit feels better with long hair. Only you know. That can change in your lifetime, but you must follow your own heart.

And...read everything you can on this website. I have been here almost 3 years and I still have tons to read.

Oh, and I use different products since I began my journey here, I use:

Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner from the dollar store.
Coconut oil "LouAna" from Walmart baking section
Biotin plus other vitamins and suppliments