PDA

View Full Version : "Low Cone"?

autumn_aqua
September 17th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I saw a thread similar to this, but not exactly, and now I can't find it.

I've been cone-free, CO, shampoo with a non-sulfate shampoo once every five days or so, and use a clarifying shampoo once every month or two.

I know from experience that my hair doesn't like frequent cone usage (learned that the hard way when L'Oreal Nutrivive changed their conditioner formula and added cones and I didn't know- my hair got really velcro-y/dry after I'd gone through about 2/3 bottle.)

But I've been using Elumen once every 4-6 weeks have been doing so for about a year and a half, and I have to say that I have been really enjoying the ease of detangling which seems to last at least a couple of weeks after I do it. I've noticed as my hair has reached/is starting to just pass waist length that occasionally my ends knot up pretty badly and detangling even with tons of GVP Biolage or Garnier Sleek n' Shine just doesn't cut it on those days.

So, I am weighing the benefits of using a coney conditioner on occasion just to keep the tangles down to a dull roar and help mitigate the damage that comes from (de)tangling. Maybe every two weeks or so as the Elumen benefit wears off, or when I notice it's needed. Maybe clarifying a bit more frequently to counteract any possible build-up.

Has anyone else tried a low cone routine for these reasons? If so, what do you use? I understand the -xane cones evaporate, I don't think that is the best choice for this, but I want to avoid heavy buildup or problems. The Elumen lists Dimethicone Copolyol which I believe is water soluble. I may try and find a conditioner that contains this and see what happens.

I'd love to know is anyone else has tried this and how it's worked out long term. :)

cubedcoley
September 17th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I have been here a short while and feel timid about answering your question, however, I have F/M hair as well and find a little oil (coconut or olive oil as OO seems to be lighter on hair) on my ends, especially when my hair is wet, seems to undo my tangles. I am only about APL, so this may change when it is longer with regards to tangles. I have spent the last 4 weeks in my spare time (ha ha, when do I have that!), reviewing the archives and old threads. If you have not already done so, I recommend reading the CO thread. LOTs of good stuff in there!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

tom
September 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM
hehehehehe

tom
September 17th, 2010, 02:20 AM
You are very good

swivelhop
September 17th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Elumen products are also more acidic than most. It could be the cones your hair likes, but it might be the added acidity. A dilute vinigar rinse is cheap to try.

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I use cones more than you, so I don't know if what I do is considered 'low cones'. I don't use them in my shampoo or conditioner, just in a leave in spray, very light, that i use about 4-6 times per month after washings. My hair does not react well to cones in conditioner, for a few days it's fine but then all heck breaks loose. Too much or too few cones is not good for me at all, but using them sparingly I think is fine, unless you really have a reason not to :)

HintOfMint
September 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
A coney shampoo may fit the definition of "low cone." If it has SLS in it, it probably doesn't deposit as much of the cones as a conditioner would. I've done a coney shampoo with a cone free conditioner and didn't get any buildup even though the cones were quite plainly doing their job. (Oh the shine...)

autumn_aqua
September 17th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the replies! :)

Cubedcoley, I do use coconut oil, although not every day, just not after every wash. I CO with Suave Naturals under a plastic cap, then I use a second heavier conditioner (usually Garnier Sleek n' Shine or GVP Biolage). After rinsing, I use some leave-in (Garnier Triple Nutrition or my last precious bit of GVP Humectress in the old, cone free version.) If I'm using coconut oil I use it now. Then I apply a little bit of Ecoterra Stlying Cream and a goodly amount of Ecoterra Gel, comb everything upside down with a Denman brush, and plop my hair in a flour sack towel for about ten minutes before taking it out and gently finger-styling it the way I want (hope) it will dry.

Simple, right? :p

On a side note I have to say using the Denman has helped quite a bit with tangles... before this I just didn't brush or comb my hair outside of in the shower, with my fingers. Still, every once in a while the ends like to tie themselves into knots ad I don't want to try and brush them out.... and finger detangling on those days takes forever! That's the time I'm thinking a coney conditioner will help out.

Swivelhop, you are right about the Elumen being acidic- that's a good point. I usually do an ACV rinse on the days I use shampoo. I might try doing them more often.

aenflux, using a spray would be a good idea, but for detangling purposes I think I need to do this in the shower and be able to rinse my hair after. Otherwise I tend to get frizzy :)

Hintofmint, I was thinking about a shampoo for those reasons (not much deposit), but again, since I'm detangling shampoo might not be the best thing for that.

I know, I'm difficult!:o

autumn_aqua
December 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I just want to reply to my own thread I started in case it's helpful for anyone- I have been using the GVP version of Paul Mitchell's The Detangler, and it's really helped a lot with tangles.

I only use it every 3 days or so, or when my tangles are bad enough to need it. It contains one water-soluble cone, and since I'm making it a point to clarify my hair more regularly, I'm not too worried about buildup from it. In case this is helpful to anyone. :)