PDA

View Full Version : Is your hair a dust magnet?

christine1989
September 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
So far it seems like I am the only one who collects fuzz/dust in my hair. All of those little particles of lint, fiber and cat fur that float around in the air end up on my head. Sometimes I see one of the little white fuzz particles and freak out thinking it is a split or white dot. I'm not sure if this is because of the texture or coarseness of my hair but it has always been a dust magnet. Does anyone else have dust collecting hair or am I alone on this one? If so, how to you prevent it?

constantki
September 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mine is the same! It is quite coarse as well.
I often mistake the dust as a split end, but other than that I don't think it really gets in my way. I would be interested in seeing responses to this though.

pepperminttea
September 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Do you oil your hair? That seems to gather lint and dust much more easily. I oil mine after washing and it makes all the difference; enough that I'm willing to accept that I will have pick fluff out of it now and then. :D

nicolezoie
September 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Yes! I'm not coarse, more on the fine-medium side, but if there's dust etc., it finds my hair. It's the worst if I've used oil or if my hair is several days after my last scalp or length wash. It helps if I clean out my brush and comb after each session, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Carolyn
September 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
If I've oiled my hair it's worse but I collect lint all the time. It's not really a big deal. When I'm doing S & D I always wipe off the ends of any split or white dotted end before I snip. A lot of bad looking ends are just a speck of lint.

Renbirde
September 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yes. So very much. I think part of the problem is my bedding-- Both blankets on my bed are heavy wool. Lint central! It's rare for me to find a tangle that doesn't have some bit of fluff in the middle of it.... :(

kitten1986
September 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM
you cant usually see the lint and dust in my hair, but when I brush it it comes out in the brush
My hair is usually full of cat fur (I have 2 fur babies) If I comb my hair more cat fur comes out of it than my hair hahaha
I also find lots of catfur in my eyelashes which is weird hahaha
I only ever oil my ends so I dont really notice if that makes a difference or not :)

spidermom
September 16th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Yup, sure is, especially with oil.

Kathie
September 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I'm the same, I discovered this when I went to take some pictures of my hair. I looked at the photos and was a little shocked! I guess it has to happen when you oil and wash every three days :shrug:

Juneii
September 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM
that would be too cool, my hair would dust my room without me having to do anything!

my hair collects dust if I over oil my ends and leave it down, it catches lint from my clothing.

TinaDenali
September 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yep, I always find little dust fizzies in my hair.

PrincessBob
September 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
My hair is definitely a major dust magnet, complete with dust bunnies from nowhere. My brushes all bear witness to this.

Aevra
September 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Mine doesn't gather dust and stuff much, but sometimes I find some lint in my hair or my hairbrush...but it's not that often.

Dragon
September 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
A little but not much. Big yes whan have heaps of oil in my hair.

christine1989
September 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hmmm... It never occured to me that oil could add to the dust problem. I guess that is a small price to pay for nice hair though :). Still it is so annoying to constantly explain to friends "its not dandruff! Its dust!" Just one of the drawbacks of having dark colored hair...

lilravendark
September 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I only wash my hair with baking soda and acv every new moon so its WO for the rest of the time and yes I collect a lot of lint balls in my brush its annoying. I bought a brush cleaner from the chemist the other day gets the hair out but leaves the lint lol

enfys
September 17th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Yes! Yes it is, and I can't keep up with cleaning my Tangle Teazer so it looks filthy all the time.

I stopped oiling when I ran out and didn't know where I could buy some after I moved and that didn't stop the dust. My hair gets oily quite easily anyway at the scalp so I think it's more to do with that than oiling the length. All the dust just settles on me...

Kat
September 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I get it a lot--that's where my worst tangles come from. My hair isn't coarse, though.

I once made my ex take a fleece blanket off his bed because I kept getting the world's worst tangles wrapped around little bits of fuzz the same distinctive color as the blanket!

Bonkers57
September 17th, 2010, 07:38 AM
My hair is very fine and straight and I see the lint only in my combs. I have two fur babies, too so there's probably cat hair in there, plus tons of dust. I never oil my hair because my scalp is so oily naturally, so I guess that's what's attracting it.

you cant usually see the lint and dust in my hair, but when I brush it it comes out in the brush
My hair is usually full of cat fur (I have 2 fur babies) If I comb my hair more cat fur comes out of it than my hair hahaha
I also find lots of catfur in my eyelashes which is weird hahaha
I only ever oil my ends so I dont really notice if that makes a difference or not :)

EdG
September 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Definitely. If I wave my hair in a ray of sunlight, I can see the lint coming off my hair.
Ed

KajiKodomo
September 17th, 2010, 10:00 AM
My hair is a total dust magnet. I always find lint (and cat fur; I have five cats, haha) in my hair every time I comb or run my fingers through it. It's not that big of a deal to me, especially since I stopped dyeing my hair black (it was MUCH more obvious then!).

It does cause tangling on occasion though, which is the only way I get tangles at this length, so it certainly surprised me the first time it happened!

frodolaughs
September 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I definitely collect dust in my hair. I think a lot of it comes from my flannel sheets. It's much worse when I oil. The lint is the main cause of tangles for me. And it's true; dark hair shows the lint!

Jezerellica
September 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, my hair is a lint and dust magnet. I sleep with a blanket that is falling apart, but I love it for comfort reasons. Yes, I call it "Blankey". I accept the price.

I also think the oiling is worth the magnetic powers.

Brianna
September 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Major dust magnet. I also work part-time as a maid, so you can imagine how fast it builds up. It's not usually too noticeable, but if I use a BBB every day, it'll need cleaning every time from all the dust and lint.

audchik
September 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Happens to me all the time! Especially when I add oil or serum. It actually seems to get into my underhair tangles a lot.

Igor
September 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Yes but it seems to be worst in the ends that I suspect could use a trim :shrug:

Angeletti
September 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I always find fuzz balls stuck in my hair. I probably notice it more due to the fact that my hair is black and shows every little thing like that, who knows.

Kristin
September 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Yep, my hair is constantly full of lint. It became more noticeable when I quit cones and started oiling more. I worry that I have splits, but the little white spots are always specks of lint. There is more lint in my BBB than hair.

BethC1963
September 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I had the problem when I was young. I have as an adult kept my hair conditioned and moisturized constantly and do not have a problem anymore. Good luck.

RachelRain
September 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Sort of? I never see any, but when I brush my hair, there's little dustballs all over the place. Maybe the color just hides it all better.

Beets
September 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Ugh! I'm so glad you started this thread, and that so many of us are coming clean about this! I think my very first post at LHC was about dustbunnies in my BBB.

But yes, this happens to me all the time. Cleaning out my BBB is my part-time job.

ETA: I went back to revisit that little threa (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38915)d! Here's a good, long response from heidi w.:

"The problem is that a BBB works because it holds on to sebum and oils in hair on the bristles of this brush, really, really, really well. If this brush is kept in the average bathroom or bedroom zonage where it's basically out in the open, it will collect a lot of dustbunnies that way.

Even if in a drawer or pouch it still might. Some of that might also be detris picked up out of the hair's length.

You can try washing this brush by dusting baking soda on the bristles, with a dribble of water, and let that bubble up, and then use a sturdy comb or fingers to see if that loosens things up a bit.

I also find that about every 3-4 years I just simply have to replace the brush. It just might be time.

I have cleaned this brush historically with baking soda blended in plain ole hot water, placing the brush bristles face down in the pan. Most of the time, this gets at that bit at the very base of the brush. I then will work a comb through with baking soda ETA: on the bristles, leaving the baking soda there END ETA because this breaks that bond of hairs all bound and oils together. Then rinse quite well and air dry COMPLETELY. I do depress a lint-free towel into the bristles to help remove the wetness and move the drying process on a bit.

IF you put the brush in such a pool of water, do know that the water may break down and affect of a bit of the wood. Many BBB's are a wood handle and backdrop to the paddle end that the rubber is adhered to, in which the bristles are attached.

There is likely a little hole somewhere and water can get in under the rubber, so you may have to shake and press down and squeeze to work that water out.

Once the BBB is completely dry, and if successful at getting all the tidbits out (I usually was), then you may find a need to apply the tracest of oil back on to the bristles. Simply put the smallest of dots of oil in the palm of one hand. Then rub hands together so that there's almost no hint that there's oil on your hands. Then rub the bristles with your hand, depressing the heel of your very, very, very lightly oiled hand into the bristles, deeply. This is sufficient because your hair, if you oil or whatever product you use, the bristles will pick it up.

It's like that oil is a magnetic field! So I keep mine in a drawer out of the main air of a house/apartment, and even keep mine in a nice little drawstring pouch (the top where the bristles are). This is very simple to sew, even by hand, if you're up for it."

swivelhop
September 17th, 2010, 11:11 PM
This is why I don't wear lopi sweaters, hoodies, velvet, or own a fuzzy blanket anymore. I only miss the sweaters.

julliams
September 18th, 2010, 08:17 AM
When I oil my hair I do find it more dusty. All the dust seems to gather around the quills on my brush - ugh!

Arianwen
September 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I get lint a lot...

Anje
September 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM
My hair definitely likes dust, cat fuzz, and lint! It's often full of it, especially when I oil or haven't washed in a while (which gets rid of lint quite nicely, but would work better if there weren't towels involved).

I've found that when my hair seems especially tangly from lint, the BBB is my best friend. In fact, it's pretty much the only time I love my BBB, since it doesn't get oils much lower down my hair than my jawline anyway. In those rare instances, I actually use the thing to detangle, since my combs tend to catch on the little lint-knots and break hairs. I detangle using the standard start-at-the-ends method and work really slowly, and most of the lint ends up out of my hair and into the BBB. Then I put my hair up, and maybe cover it before delinting that brush a bit, so the airborne lint doesn't go back into my hair.

I really ought to make a little lint-free fabric bag to keep the BBB in the rest of the time. I doubt leaving it out helps keep it clean.

lapushka
September 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
When it's freshly washed, it's okay, but as the days go by, my hair seems to attract more lint, tiny, small, itty bitty pieces that often look like a gigantic white dot. I don't know how it gets in there.

Anje
September 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
My hair definitely likes dust, cat fuzz, and lint! It's often full of it, especially when I oil or haven't washed in a while (which gets rid of lint quite nicely, but would work better if there weren't towels involved).

I've found that when my hair seems especially tangly from lint, the BBB is my best friend. In fact, it's pretty much the only time I love my BBB, since it doesn't get oils much lower down my hair than my jawline anyway. In those rare instances, I actually use the thing to detangle, since my combs tend to catch on the little lint-knots and break hairs. I detangle using the standard start-at-the-ends method and work really slowly, and most of the lint ends up out of my hair and into the BBB. Then I put my hair up, and maybe cover it before delinting that brush a bit, so the airborne lint doesn't go back into my hair.

I really ought to make a little lint-free fabric bag to keep the BBB in the rest of the time. I doubt leaving it out helps keep it clean.