PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about S&D

Scarlalar
September 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum
Lately I've developed the habit of going through my hair and finding split ended hairs and cutting them, one by one. (I think this is what you guys call S & D ?)
My question is, how big of a difference can S&D make to the overall appearance of the hair? If I S&D more often, will I need to trim less? I'm really trying to avoid trimming my hair because I've always wanted tailbone length hair and have finally decided to go for it. Right now it's reaching waist-length.
I'm really glad I found this site! :):):)

HairColoredHair
September 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM
If you S&D then you likely won't have to trim, though your hair may not maintain a blunt cut look (it may trend more toward a V or U shape, or something else, depending on how your particular head of hair grows.) So you wouldn't have to trim for healthier hair, but might for looks of the hemline (if that matters to you).

Overzealous S&D can thin out the ends a bit, creating a fairytale look, so if you don't like that look, be careful to snip only the ones that need it. :)

Jenn of Pence
September 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, your hair is pretty thick, so it would take a lot over a long time to severely affect your hemline, but it is a possibility depending on the damage you have. I really do think S&D will help stave off trims, but might not totally eliminate the need for them as you grow. But any length you can save helps, right? :)
I just like S&D in general. My personality just finds it satisfying! Plus getting rid of bad ends is a good thing!

jeanniet
September 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I S & D and then dust (trim) 1/8 - 1/4" once a month. I haven't noticed any difference in my hemline, but then I have wavy/curly hair and it tends to look different from day to day. If you don't have a ton of splits, I think S & D will be fine. If you have more than, say, 10% splits, a trim might be a better option.

I enjoy S & D, as it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my hair. The only thing that bugs me is that when I look at my ends without scissors handy it always seems like I have more splits than when I'm doing an S & D. :p

moonkitty
September 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have also just recently started s&ding and do it every few days or so. I ALWAYS have more split ends! I don't understand how my hair can be getting all this new damage so often, especially since it is almost always in a protective bun. I am afraid if I keep snipping the splits, I will drastically thin out my already very thin hair. Help!

beez1717
September 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Wait wait wait, before we get to any techniques for looking for the bad hair, what the heck does a split end look and feel like?

HintOfMint
September 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
My splits and white dots will travel up the hair shaft if I don't nip them in the bud. Eventually I'll end up with frayed strands that are quite visible. S&D is more preventive than anything else. It doesn't really affect my hemline because I only get splits and damage in the underlayer.

ZoeSophia8
September 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I also find that the more I S&D, the more splits I find (I cut over 50 the other night), but knowing that I'm new to this, I try to stay calm. I agree with someone on the forums who said something along the lines of... you're seeing more because you're actually looking for them, and getting better at looking for them. As long as you're using a very sharp pair of scissors that is used for nothing but hair, I think you should be fine.

I also see it as preventative, since if I don't snip them, the damage will travel up the hair shaft.

Wait wait wait, before we get to any techniques for looking for the bad hair, what the heck does a split end look and feel like?

A split end is just what it sounds like. At the very end of the single hair strand, the hair splits into two or more strands. S&D involves snipping just above the split in the hair strand at a 90 degree angle with sharp scissors.