PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Ink...Kat Von D

1953Diygal
September 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I've been watching the new episodes of L.A. Ink with Kat's red hair. Does anybody think that it looks kind of like she's wearing a wig? It's not because of the bright color, but because you can't really see her scalp or her hairline. I wonder if her hair was damaged when they dyed it from black to red.

Quixotica
September 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have to take a moment to say how much I adore Kat....

*moment*

Now - her hair does looks like wig. Not sure if it is or not.

paperwhite
September 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
It definitely looks like a wig to me, especially after seeing clips of her natural hair (sans extensions and unusual colors). Plus the texture reminds me of wig "hair". It's either fake or really, really damaged to look like that.

RitaPG
September 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
:shrug: Could be. A while ago she appeared with a very white head and it just kept getting shorter and shorter after that. She literally bleached the life out of it, I suppose.

Arianwen
September 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't get the fancy tv channels anymore so I stopped watching that show. I have to say though, that woman irritates me to no end.

May
September 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I was just watching this last night and I adore her whole look and I think her hair looks really cool but I did suspect a wig once or twice. I'm still not sure but I totally know what you mean about the no hair line thing. I'm thinking it may be extensions??? It appears to be a mix of bright red and black pieces underneath. Whatever it is I love it.

I have no idea how Kat could irritate anyone...she's a ridiculously talented, successful women doing her thing and looking awesome doing it. I love her!

paperwhite
September 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
(I know this thread is about her hair, but...)

I have no idea how Kat could irritate anyone...she's a ridiculously talented, successful women doing her thing and looking awesome doing it. I love her!

These are all true things. She is extremely talented and she's using that talent to express herself and enrich her life. However, I find her personality grating and immature. She's quite full of herself--a certain amount of pride is definitely warranted, she's excellent at what she does--but she really goes over the top with it sometimes. Also, the way she treats other people can be very harsh and disrespectful, sometimes downright demeaning. One would think that constantly being on camera would give one pause to behave that way, but it doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

I didn't like her on Miami Ink, and I don't like her on L.A. Ink. I won't ever downplay her talent, it's obvious that she's at the top of her field, but as a person in general, she irritates me very badly; her personality/behavior just grates on my nerves.

/end hijack, back to hair

Arianwen
September 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
(I know this thread is about her hair, but...)

These are all true things. She is extremely talented and she's using that talent to express herself and enrich her life. However, I find her personality grating and immature. She's quite full of herself--a certain amount of pride is definitely warranted, she's excellent at what she does--but she really goes over the top with it sometimes. Also, the way she treats other people can be very harsh and disrespectful, sometimes downright demeaning. One would think that constantly being on camera would give one pause to behave that way, but it doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

I didn't like her on Miami Ink, and I don't like her on L.A. Ink. I won't ever downplay her talent, it's obvious that she's at the top of her field, but as a person in general, she irritates me very badly; her personality/behavior just grates on my nerves.

/end hijack, back to hair

What she said, it's her *ahem* personality etc. It's similar to how I feel about Rachel Ray, too much phony baloney bubbliness/I hate her laugh etc. Yecccch.

enfys
September 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
It looks like a wig and it looks pretty nasty. She's going downhill at the moment; she was stunning on Miami Ink, but she's looking weird, almost ill now.

She has been wearing extensions for a long time so I suppose she's at the wig stage from that and bleaching :(

UltraBella
September 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I think it is a wig, it does not look like natural hair to me.
Sometimes I like Kat and other times I think she is awful. That being said, if a camera was filming me all the time, I think I would be surprised as to how I would be perceived. You would see the best and worst of me - how scary !!

Arianwen
September 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
It looks like a wig and it looks pretty nasty. She's going downhill at the moment; she was stunning on Miami Ink, but she's looking weird, almost ill now.

She has been wearing extensions for a long time so I suppose she's at the wig stage from that and bleaching :(

I noticed that too, that she looked healthier or something on Miami Ink, she just looks...different, in a bad way now. Too much stress? Too much partying?

enfys
September 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I noticed that too, that she looked healthier or something on Miami Ink, she just looks...different, in a bad way now. Too much stress? Too much partying?

She used to be a just a little bit plumper and it suited her. Now she looks like she's heading towards gaunt. She probably is under a lot more stress with her own studio, and she does have a party lifestyle from ehat I've seen. I prefer to watch re-runs of Miami Ink to see her work...and Ami :eyebrows:

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Having seen her in person at a con, I will swear that her hair is 10x worse in person and it's obviously a wig. The show downplays her attitude and personality to try to make her friendly and nice. Talent is good, but I know better who are cheaper.

kwaniesiam
September 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
It's not a wig, it's a sew-in as far as I know. A full head of extensions sewn to cornrows braided from her real hair, also called a weave.

NotLostYet
September 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I flipped through an episode recently and wondered the same thing! What really made me hmmm is that you can't see her scalp at the part, it's the same color as her hair. Which isn't to say it definitively IS a wig because I know the dyes you have to use to get/maintain her color will stain your scalp. It just made me wonder if the red part on the top was a hairpiece.

And I have to say, I agree with people who don't like her personality <ducks>

I've only seen her (on tv) twice. Once was on Miami Ink when she got a dressing-down for giving someone a tat that was different than what they asked for (which made my husband livid), and the other was LA Ink when she got a tattoo of her receptionist's face for her (the receptionist's) birthday and made her scared she would be fired in the process. I know the whole thing is played up for tv, but both of those seemed pretty jerk moves to me and I spent the entire episode of LA Ink wishing she would give the receptionist either a few paid days off work instead or a tattoo on herself from this artist she liked so much. Neither of them made me think I want to see more of her.

Dunno. Artists are an interesting bunch, tattoo artists just as much so (I married one!), and I don't know how much of it is put up by the producers. I've been tangentally involved in production of a few reality tv shows and an awful lot of what you see on screen is coached from the sidelines by the producers.

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
If it's sewn-in, it's horrible and you can see the edges and base thread. But given how bad it looks, that could be possible.

kwaniesiam
September 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
If it's sewn-in, it's horrible and you can see the edges and base thread. But given how bad it looks, that could be possible.

It probably just needs re-done and better quality hair though honestly I agree. Weave that bright goes through an awful lot of processing to get the color to stick considering most of the hair starts out as naturally black Indian hair. That combined with daily styling she probably puts it through certainly doesn't help. I've seen the same thing on girls at school. I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this, but I've never seen a whole head of weave look good on a white girl.

enfys
September 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
It's not a wig, it's a sew-in as far as I know. A full head of extensions sewn to cornrows braided from her real hair, also called a weave.

How often would that be replaced? When I looked at the comments under pictures most of them talked about her "ever revolving series of wigs" and the shades are a bit different. Or has she moved from wigs to a weave now?

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Well that was a bit ago that I saw her. Don't watch her show as DF will throw things at the tv within a minute if we are lucky. It didn't look like hair, looked like those plastic halloween wigs, thus why I think wig.

kwaniesiam
September 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
How often would that be replaced? When I looked at the comments under pictures most of them talked about her "ever revolving series of wigs" and the shades are a bit different. Or has she moved from wigs to a weave now?

Every 4 weeks usually. Some of them might have been wigs but the recent pictures I've seen look like weave.

pennyroyal
September 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Her hair does look awful now. The color is awesome but the hair itself looks really weird & fake.
I love how she used to look on Miami Ink & the beginning of LA Ink but now she looks kinda nasty & her personality has become grating, to be nice. I used to like her but not anymore at all. She is definitley talented but i actually like the other tattoo artists on her show more than her most of the time.

enfys
September 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Every 4 weeks usually. Some of them might have been wigs but the recent pictures I've seen look like weave.

Ah and changing them every 4 weeks would actually be regular enough to look like a rotation of wigs.

I miss the black and yellow rock star hair regardless of what it's made from and how it's put in.

Gvnagitlvgei
September 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I thought she was undergoing chemo. Maybe I'm wrong.

pennyroyal
September 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I thought she was undergoing chemo. Maybe I'm wrong.
Really? I never heard that. That would explain why she looks so thin now. :confused:

MandyBeth
September 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Don't think so, last gossip trash I heard was she was dating/sleeping with/pregnant with the chopper guy's kid. Given as most of the gossip is just that, and haven't gotten any from anyone reliable, gonna say no to all the chatter.

Mitzy
September 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM
She did have a cancer scare a while back, but I think it turned out to be a non-cancerous tumour which was successfully treated.

Quezie
September 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Errrgh I can't stand her. Or LA Ink. They don't show a lot of tattoos being done considering it's a show about tattoos. And why do they show that other shop? I preferred Miami Ink, La Ink feels like it's scripted, and there's so much drama.
Anyone notice how she's always dating some popular celebrity? Last I heard was Jesse James, ugh.

But yeah, back on topic.
I think it must be a weave, or lace front or something. I noticed that too. I think her hair was the nicest in her Miami Ink days.

boomtownrat
September 16th, 2010, 08:39 PM
The odd thing is that even though she did look healthier in the Miami Ink days, she wasn't sober then according to interviews she's given, but she is now. I've wondered the same thing about her hair.

I miss Miami Ink... they showed more actual tattooing on that show.

dscokween
September 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM
so I'm not sure if I can post links here, but here are a couple:

Poorly executed red thing (http://jezebel.com/5617678/kat-von-d-ive-got-a-lot-of-respect-for-jesse)

another view:
side view of red 'do on Kat Von D (http://www.thefablife.com/2010-04-09/kat-von-d-and-bam-deny-affair-hit-revolver-awards-together/)

but I think the real issue is this apparent plastic surgery she's had. Not only does she have a synthetic look to her hair (and the red color doesn't go particularly well with her skin tone) but she seems to have plasticized her look:

apparent before and after (http://www.thefablife.com/2010-01-19/kat-von-d-boards-the-bad-plastic-surgery-train/)

christine1989
September 16th, 2010, 10:09 PM
It does look really suspicious. Usually hair that has been dyed with harsh chemicals for so many years is not that thick and healthy looking. If it isn't a wig then she had A LOT of extentions.

1953Diygal
September 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Ok. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking "wig hair."

I wonder why she needs extensions/wigs. I mean, my hair is pretty darn bright and, aside from a few splits, it's in really good condition. Maybe she wrecked it when she had it bleached.

RadiantNeedle
September 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I can't stand her tattoos.. She looks like a walking flash book o.O

chelseamichelle
September 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Yes it really does look like a wig :p I think it is

aenflex
September 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
If it's a wig, it's a nice one. I like the look on her a lot. I cannot, however, watch her show because she just rubs me the wrong way personally. She's great at tattooing and definitely has talent, I just can't watch for more than 5 minutes.

Jenn of Pence
September 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I also noticed her hair when watching the show this week. I don't typically watch it, it just happened to be on while I was working on something else. I guess I thought the same thing: not her real hair. It's an interesting color, but yeah. It looks like it's just perching atop her head sometimes. I don't watch enough and haven't seen enough previous shows to comment on the overall change.

Coffeebug
September 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I haven't seen LA Ink for ages, but that's a shame if she has dyed her own hair that colour cos it used to look awesome dark.

MandyBeth
September 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM
The red looks like a muppet hacked up a hairball on her head. The pics make it look almost nice.

wvgemini
September 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM
The red looks like a muppet hacked up a hairball on her head. The pics make it look almost nice.
:misskim:

I haven't watched in ages because, honestly, I'm in the annoyed with her attitude camp. And WTH is up with the rival shop:confused: But yeah, the red mess looks really fake.

melrose1985
September 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I adore Kat Von D as well... Very very much.

I think she's wearing a wig. I know her show isn't film straight through but it's got to be a wig with how many time in one show it changes style and color. And I think the show is scripted and kind of fake but i enjoy watching it.

And personally I love her style and tattoos. I love the style clothing she wears and I like to copy her make up styles. I love her black hair the best- even though in the pass she's said it was extensions. I like the long/choppy/side bangs style hair she has... That's the look I'm going for! But of course I'm growing and not using fake hair- though to be her for Halloween in the past I have in fact worn clip in hair that i made.

For me I think she's awesome, But too each is own!

Unzadi
September 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I can't say I've watched enough of the show to say anything about her personality, but I love her makeup and perfume and think she's amazingly talented. Her books are on my wish list.

Her hair looked best to me when it was all darker; she has the style to pull of dramatic colors well, but this particular hair...no.

MandyBeth
September 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM
What rival shop? Has Corey left yet on the show? And ow, I fell out of my chair with the walking flash book, but flash books aren't that trashy.

paperwhite
September 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
<snip> And ow, I fell out of my chair with the walking flash book, but flash books aren't that trashy.

:rollin: added characters for post length :P

boomtownrat
September 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM
What rival shop? Has Corey left yet on the show? And ow, I fell out of my chair with the walking flash book, but flash books aren't that trashy.

I think they're talking about American Electric, where some of Kat's former employees have gone to work. I haven't watched much of this season, but I think Corey has returned (he did leave for what seemed to be a couple of months, based on what they said to each other).

The red hair looks better to me than the platinum blonde hair, but I'll always like her hair best when it's black or deep brown.

Fiferstone
September 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Corey's at American Electric now. I like Kat von D's talent (and her eye makeup is to die for) but I wish the show was more about tattooing and tattoo artistry and less about interpersonal drama and the antics of various hangers-on (Rooftop, f'rinstance). Corey told Kat he wanted to come back, she took more time than he appreciated making her decision, so he went to the shop to say, "changed my mind, not coming back." To everyone.

Flouncing, much?

boomtownrat
September 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Corey's at American Electric now. I like Kat von D's talent (and her eye makeup is to die for) but I wish the show was more about tattooing and tattoo artistry and less about interpersonal drama and the antics of various hangers-on (Rooftop, f'rinstance). Corey told Kat he wanted to come back, she took more time than he appreciated making her decision, so he went to the shop to say, "changed my mind, not coming back." To everyone.

Flouncing, much?

Ah, I haven't seen the most recent ones. He does still have his own shop, right? I guess he must have to be at American Electric in order to stay on the show. Maybe it's in his contract.

One reason I preferred Miami Ink - Chris Garver being the main reason - is because the drama was a sideline to the tattoos. Now they'll include a couple of tattoos per L.A. Ink episode. I'm about to give up on the show.

I did like L.A. Ink when Kat still had Kim Saigh and Hannah Aitchison working in the shop. They did great work and you actually got to see it being done. To bring the hair topic back in here somewhat, I always liked the sort of '40s-'50s hairstyles they wore in the opening credits.

annarose
September 17th, 2010, 08:47 PM
[quote=Fiferstone;1259792. I like Kat von D's talent (and her eye makeup is to die for) but I wish the show was more about tattooing and tattoo artistry and less about interpersonal drama and the antics of various hangers-on (Rooftop, f'rinstance). .

[/quote]

Exactly how I feel too Fiferstone, just show us the artistry!

And I agree it's a bad looking head of fake hair, the platinum bleach-out trashed her hair something awful, you could see all the broken off bits sticking up. It made me wince!

annarose
September 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
. I like Kat von D's talent (and her eye makeup is to die for) but I wish the show was more about tattooing and tattoo artistry and less about interpersonal drama and the antics of various hangers-on (Rooftop, f'rinstance). .

Exactly how I feel too Fiferstone, just show us the artistry!

And I agree it's a bad looking head of fake hair, the platinum bleach-out trashed her hair something awful, you could see all the broken off bits sticking up. It made me wince

Fiferstone
September 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi boomtownrat (great username, btw!) I think he still does have his own shop, he just needed a place to work in LA as well. I would LOVE to have something done by Hannah someday, her work is gorgeous (I have no tattoos at the moment myself, it's a Walter Mitty dream of mine...). I enjoyed watching Miami ink because it was about the tattoos, and I was happy when Kat got her own show because I really like her work and admire her talent and gumption, but I've become less interested as the show has evolved away from showcasing the work, to focusing on the personal life and "drama." When they had the business major "shop manager" acting like Osamarosa, I really stopped watching regularly - if I wanted to see pointless drama I'd watch Big Brother (barf).

xovictoryxo
September 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM
LOVE HER!!
yes its a wig... this is Aug 2009 one year ago.
she would be hot with a darn mullet!
Kat von D (http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kat-von-d-blonde-2.jpg)

Caldonia Sun
September 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
She was so pretty a few years back, but too much plastic surgery has changed her looks and not for the better.

DuckyDot
September 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
HEr hair is awful! I used to love her on Miami Ink but now she's ... odd. I like Miami + London Ink way more! Kat is looking really weird.

MonaMayfair
September 18th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Oh dear, I haven't see her on TV for a while and didn't know about hair colour change/surgery.
I'm (usually) obsessed with red hair, but I don't like it on Kat, whether it's her own hair or not.
I used to think she was gorgeous with black hair (which is a shade not everyone can pull off) She looks a lot different now.
I expect I'd still like her, if I saw some of the new shows though - and it's HER hair after all, as long as she likes it, that's the main thing!

RadiantNeedle
September 18th, 2010, 07:10 AM
:P
I just like cohesive tattoos, not someone who looks like they 'impulse-buy' their ink.
"That one! Oh, and that one! Oooh, look at THAT one that looks totally nothing like the other ones and clashes horribly! Definitely want that one!"

Meh.

hmmm
September 18th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I've never watched this show, even if it is aired here, because I couldn't care less... but whoa, do people really wear that much make up? I thought it was only in Bollywood that they put kilos of junk on their face.
I've never seen kilos-of-makeup + that-many-tattoos + fake-loud-hair all on one person, though. Man, I really miss out on stuff from not watching TV.

melrose1985
September 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I've never watched this show, even if it is aired here, because I couldn't care less... but whoa, do people really wear that much make up? I thought it was only in Bollywood that they put kilos of junk on their face.
I've never seen kilos-of-makeup + that-many-tattoos + fake-loud-hair all on one person, though. Man, I really miss out on stuff from not watching TV.

Yep! People really do wear that much makeup, I know I do! And I'm planning on be heavily tattooed, but not that much though! And I'll pass on the fake hair because mines getting long!

Quixotica
September 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I adore Kat Von D as well... Very very much.

I think she's wearing a wig. I know her show isn't film straight through but it's got to be a wig with how many time in one show it changes style and color. And I think the show is scripted and kind of fake but i enjoy watching it.

And personally I love her style and tattoos. I love the style clothing she wears and I like to copy her make up styles. I love her black hair the best- even though in the pass she's said it was extensions. I like the long/choppy/side bangs style hair she has... That's the look I'm going for! But of course I'm growing and not using fake hair- though to be her for Halloween in the past I have in fact worn clip in hair that i made.

For me I think she's awesome, But too each is own!

I'm quite a fan of her style (fashion AND makeup) and I think she's awesome too! I can totally understand how she would rub some the wrong way though. I think she's one of those people you dig and think are beautiful, or you just can't stand her and think she's tacky. Yup.

Blueneko
September 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
One thing I noticed on the show, when she was going black and brunette and everything in between, was that she reached up and scratched her head a lot. And her scalp often looked inked in or colored in during some scenes, then would be skin colored later. Strange.

swivelhop
September 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
So many celebrities became famous with great hair are now wearing wigs/extensions. There is just no way for long hair to stand up to the styling demands. Its sad in way.

DiablitaNoir
September 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm quite a fan of her style (fashion AND makeup) and I think she's awesome too! I can totally understand how she would rub some the wrong way though. I think she's one of those people you dig and think are beautiful, or you just can't stand her and think she's tacky. Yup.

Agreed. I adore her. I think she's awesome and hot! I love LA Ink but I won't deny it's full of hyped-up drama. I don't care...still love Kat and the show. :)

But, getting back on topic here, Kat has been known to wear weave for years. I've read a couple of years back that her hair is actually shoulder length and she wears extensions. Also, her hair isn't red anymore...she recently went back to black, which I like better on her anyway. Earlier this month she opened an art gallery and in the opening photos, her hair was black. I didn't like the bleached blonde on her at all. It just didn't look right for her. The red was cute but I'm partial to black hair, what can I say? :p

Maddy25
September 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I haven't seen kat since I watched mianmi ink so I never saw the red, but I googled it and I am definitely more into the black on her, red might have been nice on her if it were more natural, but the crazy clownish red just didn't suit.

MandyBeth
September 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hey, DF has organized, logical, neat flash books with the shops own worked in, they can be nice. Otherwise, I try to avoid her as her hair tends to look like what I vac off the floors, LA is not good for her.

Unzadi
September 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I leafed through her first book in Borders yesterday, and it almost came home with me, but I'm holding out for the paperback edition so it can fit with the rest of my art books in that shelf.

I've also been thinking about buying her temporary tattoos at Sephora and then scanning them into my desktop to use as Photoshop brushes.

Unipeg
September 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM
It doesnt look natural, probably either wig or a weave . I like black hair color on her better than the bright red. but how come she doesnt have a better wig , if she makes that much money? and can afford it. . Ducks before someone throws a shoe a me "for bringing that up"

melrose1985
September 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I agree with you.

I leafed through her first book in Borders yesterday, and it almost came home with me, but I'm holding out for the paperback edition so it can fit with the rest of my art books in that shelf.

I've also been thinking about buying her temporary tattoos at Sephora and then scanning them into my desktop to use as Photoshop brushes.
Have you looked at amazon for a used copy? I get used books for super cheap on there. And scanning in the tattoos is a cool idea!

katze666
September 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
I really love her style, but this hair...looks like a wig, yes.

McFearless
September 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Its clearly a wig. She looks like a hot mess.

melrose1985
September 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I just watched last weeks show.... Spider bite! It looked horrible, I bet it hurt tons!