PDA

View Full Version : If I go "natural" (no perm) what would you suggest to get more volume?

missmelaniem
September 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I love my perm because I loathe my flat straight hair. I don't mind it straight as much as I wish it had more volume!

What can I do for more volume? Anything, including techniques,, products....

I know perming is so bad for my hair health. I can go *natural* with the color, so that isn't as much of an obstacle. But the perm.....

aenflex
September 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Shampoos with seasalt. Lush makes one called BIG. Rollers if your hair is long enough. Less products that weigh the hair down, (oils, cones, butters, etc). Blow dry upside down, if you blowdry, that is. Mousse w/out alcohol. There are specialty products that use polymers and such that actually bulk up the hair, they can be found in drugstores and salons. There are tons of ways to add volume w/out perming. I am glad that you are considering stopping perming, not that they don't look great - they do. But terrible for the hair :)

YesitsReal
September 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
My fine hair had a lot more volume (especially on top) when I was using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. The citrus one did wonders. My hair likes cones, though, so I had to switch back to regular liquid shampoo. :rolleyes:

Aevra
September 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
My hair has good volume naturally, but currently when I wash (probably 2 times a month), I have been using Burt's Bees Pomegranate and soy shampoo and conditioner. I've noticed a lot more volume than normal a day or two after my wash than if I use other shampoos. I would suggest that.

Also on youtube, there is a girl from the Netherlands, her screen name is Loepsie, and she has a sock-bun tutorial that you can do, she explains this in her tutorial, but if you dampen your hair, then do her sock bu on the top of your head before you go to bed, then in the morning when it is dry, and you take it out, then your hair will have waves and curls and some volume...

torrilin
September 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
We-ell...

Since you can get a perm to take, odds are your hair is not as flat as you think. A lot of the super straights seem to have problems with perming and heat styling not working to add curl. It also seems pretty common to find that your hair is a lot fluffier and bouncier after being nice to it by wearing it up a lot and treating it gently.

I'd give it a fair shot, and just see what happens. You might get a rather pleasant shock out of it :).

shawty
September 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I second the idea of rollers and other forms of heat-free curling such as snake waves: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

little_cherry
September 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM
How about a sleeping in couple of cinnamon buns (damp hair) on top of your head? Serious volume and nice waves.

christine1989
September 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I second the damp bunning idea! It gives my hair a ton of volume when I brush it out in the morning. I also like foam rollers since you can sleep in them and they hold curl well.

christine1989
September 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Deleting double post!