PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Clockwise Bun!! Fantastic:)

Lisa R
September 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hi All

Just had to say how excited I am cause I have actually done a bun that is SO easy and makes my hair look thicker than it's normally! My hair is fine and I have thin to medium hair strands.

I was actually watching one of our LHC peoples video of making a simple bun and I thought to myself, 'my hair wouldn't be too much different than hers I wonder if I can do that?'. Well, I gave it a go and to my astonishment it turned out really well.

I don't know how to insert a pic. I have been a member for quite a few years now but I don't normally post much (just read lots!!) so I haven't got past the magic number of posts (100) to be able to put a picture in I think. I'll try!

Basically all I did was gather my hair into a ponytail without putting a hair tie in it and just twisted it anti-clockwise and made it coil around itself. I then held it with a few little claw clasp thingys. It makes the hair so nice and round and it doesn't stick out like all my other buns. It sits quite flat and round like a cinnamon scroll! I feel so stupid now. I had to shake my head that all these years I had not even tried twisting my hair another direction for a bun. Just thought my sticky outie buns were due to me not having lots of hair! Now I will wear my hair this way lots! I am also growing out layers which start at shoulder length but it still worked really well. I did have some oil (olive oil) in my hair. My hair is now around APL.

By the way, all those that have slow growing hair.... I truly thought I was in that bracket (and probably still am compared to some of you fast growers) but I decided not to trim or cut my hair for a good while starting from Feb this year and see what sort of growth I could get. Well I had lots of layers and my hair started around shoulder length or just above and now it is armpit length or very close to. I am really surprised with the amount of growth I have got. Wish I could post pics..... I do measure but I find taking a photo every month or two is better. I don't plan on trimming or cutting for a good while.

Sorry this post is getting too long so won't keep you anymore.

Thanks for reading!!

Lisa R
September 16th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have a pic of the bun in my profile. Not sure if you can access my profile but I don't think I'm able to post any pics on a post until I reach 100 posts. A bit of a shame I can't post pics despite being a member here for quite a while now.

Angeletti
September 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Gratz on doing the bun : ) I wanted to let you know, you are able to post pictures. I usually use photobucket and post the IMG link that they give you, hope that helps.

SpinDance
September 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Your bun is pretty and looks secure. Congrats! I've seen a number of people with buns held with the little claw clips similar to that.

Capybara
September 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
That's great! :D

I am wearing a bun with claw clips right now, too - Great minds think alike ;)

Pixna
September 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Congrats! :cheer:

I don't use claw clips, but I always do my cinnabuns counterclockwise because I'm left-handed. :D

misstwist
September 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Congrats! :cheer:

I don't use claw clips, but I always do my cinnabuns counterclockwise because I'm left-handed. :D

I always wrap counterclockwise, too. And I'm right handed.

Off to make a poll!

Pixna
September 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I always wrap counterclockwise, too. And I'm right handed.

That's because you're brilliant and one of the few right-handed people who know how to do it correctly! :smirk:

Yozhik
September 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm left-handed, too, and make counter-clockwise buns :)

Congrats, Lisa R, on your secure bun!

Amelia
September 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
That's because you're brilliant and one of the few right-handed people who know how to do it correctly! :smirk:

I'm ambidextrous which is sometimes handy (pardon the bun) and confusing. I still can't figure to which side I should bun :confused:

@LisaR- good looking bun there! I've done it myself, but not with claws.My hair eats claws like those for breakfast *sigh*

Anje
September 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats on the cinnamon bun!

My buns tend to be clockwise, and I'm a righty.

SpinDance
September 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I wind my buns one way one time the other way the next, to try to minimize mechanical damage from repeated motions. I like that it looks different, too.

PrincessBob
September 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I think it looks marvelous, but have to second Amelia's sentiment. I can hear my hair growling for more plastic teeth to munch into nothingness.

FrannyG
September 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Your bun looks so pretty! Very nicely done. :blossom:

I always tend to do my buns in a counter-clockwise direction as well, and I'm right-handed. I can do it clockwise, but my hands prefer counter-clockwise for some reason.

ChrissieM
September 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
When I first read this thread, I thought I wrapped clockwise and was excited about a new technique to try. But I apparently already wrap counterclockwise. I now have my hair in a clockwise bun, to see if there is any difference in bun waves later. (clockwise and counterclockwise look pretty much the same, appearance-wise)

Lisa R
September 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi All

Thanks for all those great replies!!

I am actually a leftie as well. In my country (Australia!) they call us lefties, (well people in my family - not sure all Australians!) Molly Duka's (unsure of spelling?!). I don't know how left handed people got called that but my dad used to call left handed people that.

I love those little claw clips and because I don't have heaps and heaps of hair I can easily use them and not have my hair eat them up!!

I actually have to attribute my new found bun to FrannyG cause it was when watching her hair video I actually tried doing my bun anti-clockwise and found it works really well.

Thanks FrannyG - changed my life!!:)

Have fun with your hair everyone!

Immera
September 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Woohoo! other lefties. I never thought about it but yes my buns are all widdershins.