PDA

View Full Version : hair left in braid for a week

Sossity
May 23rd, 2008, 01:58 AM
I am going to try to post this thread again, tried once already & site made me log in after I had already logged in, & somehow during the process lost my post, not sure if it is already here if so, sorry for the double post.

Onto my question, have had a heat wave this past week, put my hair in a single braid, & gave me some relief around my neck & shoulders, my ponytail covers them somewhat & makes me hot in warm weather. since it was hot for a few days found it convenient to just leave it in a braid. Is it hard on the hair to leave it like this? or does it need to be taken out & brushed every day?

By the way, why does the site make me log in constantly to view different sections of this forum? it even makes me log in before I make each post even when on my post page in the corner it reads; logged in as Sossity. Is this how it works? I have found this site does not seem to be satisfied with just one log in at the beginning, am I missing something?

Sossity

Cinnamon Hair
May 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
As one who doesn't braid (I like buns more) I can't give the best advice, but that aside, I can't think of any reasons why a braid left in over a week would damage your hair. If you braid too loose or have lots of flyaways those could cause tangles and the friction from the braid rubbing against your back or seat cushions would cause tangles. Those compounded over a week might make the braid hellish to detangle. Your hair might also become dry if you don't give it any moisture over that time. However, assuming your braid is perfectly smooth and your hair does ok going without a wash or misting for that period of time, a braid itself is not going to cause problems.

As for the log in problem, when you log in be sure to check the Remember Me box and it won't ask as often.

florenonite
May 23rd, 2008, 04:47 AM
I've left in two French plaits for a week before when canoe-tripping, and my hair was fine. If it was very tight it could be problematic, but other than that it should be fine.

blue_nant
May 23rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
I frequently leave a braid in for 3 days and don't have problems. If it's real windy, sometimes bits of it will tangle, but it's not been a problem.

Carolyn
May 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
I've left a single braid in for 2 days and ended up with massive nape tangles. I would take it out each day and comb smooth and rebraid it. My hair would be a dried out mess if I didn't do a couple of CO's in a week's time not to mention horrible scalp itchies from not washing it. I wouldn't leave it in for a week, but that's just me and my hair.

spidermom
May 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Other than having 100,001 wispies hanging out and tangling, I don't think leaving your hair in a braid would be a problem. On a few occasions when I really couldn't fuss with my hair, I've managed to get a braid to last until about the third day, but it was a mess by then.

doodlesmart
May 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
I don't think that a braid would be inherently bad for you hair. I have left mine in two braids for several days camping. However, I would like to point out that on hot days, having a wet bun on the back of your head is very nice and cooling and also good for your hair. That may be a more comfortable option.

Magdalene
May 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
I find it can get tangled at the nape if left in too long- especially if you get the braid wet.

TheBlondeApple
May 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
That would be one hell of a mess! My hair needs to be un-braided and detangled twice daily.
Anja

Beldaran
May 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
I can leave braids in for a few days no problem. Usually I will re-do them in the morning, but I don't have to.

I also don't get how people's hair gets tangled while braided. :confused: If my hair is tangle free when I braid it, it's tangle free when I unbraid it, even if it's a day later. Then again, my hair doesn't seem to tangle as easliy as other people's seems to.

Islandgrrl
May 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
I don't have super tangly hair either, and I've left braids in for a few days when camping. I wouldn't say the braids were pretty at the end, but they stayed in and my hair stayed relatively un-tangled and was certainly no worse off.

Anje
May 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hmmm... Your hair is rather curly, so you might not get as many wispy hairs as someone with straighter hair like me would. You probably should be careful about leaving the braid in much longer than a week or two, though, since you might be at risk of it locking. I'd say the same advice goes as with small braids and cornrows -- once it gets really fuzzy, take it out and re-do it.

Isilme
May 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
that would be a nightmare for my hair. I would have to chop chop the under layer of my hair and probably shave my neck from the tangles! And let's not talk about all the mecanical damage from rubbing against my back and other things...

angelthadiva
May 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't understand how people's hair is getting tangly when it's braided?!

I've had my hair braided several times (micro, box braids) and my hair was not tangly when I took them out...I kept this hair style up for several weeks at a time, and only washed a few times during the style.

If I wear my hair in a single English, French or Dutch braid, my hair does tend to get wispy if it's worn this way for longer than a day, and the style doesn't look that fresh...I would normally just take it down, comb my hair out and redo the style...

I don't know how you all are taking your braids down, but if you start at the bottom and slowly unbraid (reverse braid) your hair won't tangle. :flower:

Mely
May 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm certain if I did that the frizzies would mat together and I would never be able to get the braid out. But I have frizzy hair that is greatly prone to tangling and matting. I have almost a phobia getting mats and tangles in my hair. **reaches for brush**

julya
May 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
My hair gets tangled after being in a braid, unless it's hiding under my buff or in a braided bun. I think that swinging free against my shirt puts tangles in there.

Unnamed
May 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
If I'm bunning the braid and make sure to either do a French braid or a more stable/tight braid start, I can keep a braid in for about 2 days before redoing.

At 2 days, it's easy to take down and rebraid with very little detangling (and sometimes I'll just rebraid). At 3 days it gets harder -- manageable, though, just takes a bit to detangle before I rebraid. 4 days, and I'll be detangling for the next 2 days or so, and it won't be combable at all dry (not just nape tangles, but all throughout--I won't be able to comb the ends, either). :rolleyes:

So, for me, about 2 days is the preference for 'longest I'll leave a braid in', although sometimes I'll push it to 2.5 days, maybe 3. Rebraiding every day, though, is even better (even without detangling), especially when my wispies are bothering me. Oh, and I should say that I pretty much always bun braids.

If your hair doesn't tangle much in a braid, then I'd say leave 'em in as long as you want, as in general I don't think it's damaging. If you can bun the braid, then since it's not brushing up against anything it's probably even better.

Braids left in a while are better than bunning, though! My hair tangles more/quicker/easier in buns than it does in braids. :oops:

FrannyG
May 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I've kept French braids in for 3 days at a time before, with no ill effect. If I'm really sick with a fever or something of that nature, that's my go-to style, and I'm pretty sure I've gone longer than 3 days in those cases. I never braid too tightly, and I've never had a problem with it. On the contrary, I've found that it's a great style to contain the hair neatly and safely.

It does start to look a bit fuzzy by the time I take it out though.

freznow
May 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
That would be one hell of a mess! My hair needs to be un-braided and detangled twice daily.
Anja

Same here! If I bun it I can sometimes get away with once a day.

. . .

I don't know how you all are taking your braids down, but if you start at the bottom and slowly unbraid (reverse braid) your hair won't tangle. :flower:

True for some, not true for others. All the whispies come out of the hair and tangle, and so when going to get it out, the hairs at the end already ARE out, they're just all tangled every which way! I try to braid with as few tangles as possible, but there is doubtless at least a few when I'm done, and left in too long those compact and are hard to get out.

As someone posted earlier, it seems as though curlier hair is less prone to tangling, which I see you have. It may also have to do with fine vs. coarse or other factors, but some people's hair just TANGLES like heck.

To the OP, if your hair is happy that way there should be no adverse consequences.

young&reckless
May 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have the answer to your log-in problem. I bet you're like me and just made the site a favorite or use the drop down address, right? :eyebrows:Well you don't always get the most updated page, so make sure before and after you log on to hit the refresh button on the top of your screen.

I took me about 2 weeks to figure it out, hope this helps. ;)

blue_nant
May 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't understand how people's hair is getting tangly when it's braided?! ...

Not necessarily true, but I'm glad it is for you. :flower:

With my hair, it's only braided at 5-8 inches and downward. The crown and front hairs pull loose and in a wind they definitely tangle. And where I live, there is Definitely Wind. The wind takes the hair, pulls and twists it and creates tangles.

And my hair is not tangle-prone.

After a day, even w/o wind, the braid has loosened and looks crappy. I'll wear it that way anyway if I'm not going anywhere ...

Chromis
May 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I have fairly straight hair and can also leave a braid in for several days with no trouble afterward. So long as it was detangled to start, it doesn't get any new tangles. It gets a bit fuzzy and a little looser around the base but fine for camping.

Rae~
May 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM

I've had my hair braided several times (micro, box braids) and my hair was not tangly when I took them out...I kept this hair style up for several weeks at a time, and only washed a few times during the style.

If I wear my hair in a single English, French or Dutch braid, my hair does tend to get wispy if it's worn this way for longer than a day, and the style doesn't look that fresh...I would normally just take it down, comb my hair out and redo the style...

Really glad it works for you. It doesn't for everyone, even if we follow the standard "unbraid from the bottom" procedure (is there any other way??).

My hair vehemently opposes being neatly braided for very long at all, particularly if I have to walk out the front door. Perhaps it's to do with the relative fineness/coarseness of each of our hair? I know that once my wispies come out of the braid (which they do without a great deal of assistance at all - even a light breeze brings them out some days), they promptly tie themselves in knots along the outside of the braid. Untangling that = not so much fun. Thanks, hair. :rolleyes: :D

Blueglass
May 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
if you make a secure french or dutch braid, you can leave it in for several days. I did this once when I had to say in the hospital for a week. Its no problem. If your hair is dry, and swim in salt water it helps to wash out the salt.

lorig713
May 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I can leave a braid in for three to four days without a problem.

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Might be because you don't have cookies activated.

Rae~
May 25th, 2008, 04:06 AM
fatmoogas, did you actually read the topic...??

Lamb
May 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM
fatmoogas, did you actually read the topic...??

I think his/her reply was to the second part of the OP, about the repeated logins. :shrug: I think. :shrug:

Rae~
May 25th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Oh, heh. :o I'd already forgotten about that part. Oops.