PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy Hair

Dragon
September 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
About Three days after I wash my hair, it always starts to feel cruchey. I do a light oil once to twice a day as my hair is naturaly dry. Not every week but some times I will put in a leave in moisturiser once or twice during the week. Does any one else get this? And could this be build up or is it just normal? If I dont use anythig in my hair it will become dry, frizzy and hard to manage. It always feels good after I wash it but I can only wash it every 5 to 7 days or my hair will become very dry.

clichepithet
September 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
What kind of oil are you using? Some (olive, coconut and avocado) can soak in, others simply coat the shaft. Also, are you adding any moisture to your hair? Or just oil onto dry dry hair? Your hair needs moisture. Oil is not moisture. As far as washing goes, your method can have a lot to do with how your hair looks and feels. Straight shampoo? Kind? Do you condition at all? CWC? CO?

HairColoredHair
September 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
My guess would be too much oil. Too much oil (or oil that hasn't yet absorbed) leads to crunchy ends for me.

Perhpas misting the oil with some water would help inside of oiling twice a day?

Another culprit could be the leave-in... cones? Protein? Both could lead to some crunch. :)

JenniferNoel
September 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Oil does not literally moisturize the hair in most cases, it just locks moisture in. You need to be adding moisture separately along with the oiling to ensure the hair is soaking something up versus just being coated.
What is this leave-in moisturizer you speak of? Does it contain cones (silicone)? Those have been reported to lock moisture out in some cases, coating the hair shaft giving the illusion of health/shine.

Anje
September 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Any chance you're using silicones, maybe a silicone serum or a silicone-laden leave-in?

While this definitely is not everyone's experience, I've found that my hair will start to feel increasingly crunchy, dry, and nasty a few days post-wash when I use silicones on it. When I wash them off and don't use more, I don't have as much of an issue this way.

Coconut oil can also be a crunchy-causing culprit for some people, often when it's applied to dry hair. However, that usually starts within a few hours of application, in my experience. If that's the case, it's worth trying a different oil and/or trying applying the oil with your hair wet (or if you get crunchies from applying to wet hair, try applying to dry hair -- it happens that direction too sometimes).

Dragon
September 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I always use it on dry hair. Use just jojoba oil for a long time and have recently over the last few weeks started using oilve oil and coconut oil. Its made no difference. I just use plain old leave in conditioner which is silicone free. It the Giovanni leave in. I have been CO washing for a while now but 6 days ago I used shampoo. Havent used any silicone this week and it has not made any difference.

aenflex
September 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
build up? oiling the hair whilst dry? both of those cause me crunchy hair. also, I've seen elsewhere that Jojoba does contain some protein. This will also cause me to get crunchy.
I would clarify, use a light conditioner, and try applying your oils to wet/damp hair. And use less of everything for a bit until figure the culprit. Well, that's what I would do :) GL!

breezefaerie
September 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I definitely think the oiling is making you crunchy. Did you just switch to the new oils?

Dragon
September 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I definitely think the oiling is making you crunchy. Did you just switch to the new oils?

A few month ago I switched to the new oils.

little_cherry
September 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hmm..my hair only gets crunchy if the conditioner contains protein... Can you please put up a list of ingredients o the products you're using?

Out of all cones, I avoid Cyclopentasiloxane or any -xane cones as they can actually dry out the hair.

If hair is crunchy, give clarifying and a nice long SMT a shot.

Dragon
September 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I also avoid protein. It makes my hair crunchy and kills my easticity. I like to use the New Garner Fructis Volume Restructure silicone free shampoo and conditioner. And some times there ones with cones. My hair is never crunchy when its been washed. After I wash it, I add leave in conditioner and when it drys I add some oil to it. And then once to twice a day after that. Sometimes by the second day it can be crunchy when i've used lots of oil but normaly its fine till the third day. Im going to try oiling on wet hair and see how that goes. One thing I've notices since I started Co washing is that my hair feels even worse still quicker then normal and it does seem to cause build up after one CO wash.

Dragon
September 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

proo
September 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
I preshampoo the ends with coconut oil, then rinse that out with diluted conditioner, rinse again with extremely dilute shampoo, then a final very dilute lemon juice rinse - voila! no crunch. The key is not using very much product.

manderly
September 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
I don't know your hairtype, but for me, I know the reason I would have to wash wasn't because my hair or scalp was dirty, but because my ends would dry out horribly after a few days and get crunchy-barbie-like. My old damaged ends would seep moisture out until the only thing I could do was wash the ends and recondition or wash my hair again.

Wicked Princess
September 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
When I get build up, my hair doesn't become crunchy as much as it becomes hard-to-get-tangles-out-of. When I was using coconut oil (on wet hair, after a shower) I found my hair got a bit crunchy. After a little while, I found that just leaving my hair drenched in silicone-free conditioner for about ten minutes as part of my wash-routine seems to cure all my woes! :)

little_cherry
September 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM
Does your conditioner or leave in contain humectants? If the air is really dry, humectants can make your hair feel very dry since they pull moisture from the most moist place...if your hair is more moist than the air, then the humectants are going to pull moisture from your hair drying the hair out.

TrudieCat
September 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
I don't know your hairtype, but for me, I know the reason I would have to wash wasn't because my hair or scalp was dirty, but because my ends would dry out horribly after a few days and get crunchy-barbie-like. My old damaged ends would seep moisture out until the only thing I could do was wash the ends and recondition or wash my hair again.

This is what happens to me, too. My ends are damaged from heat styling. And even before I was heat styling, my hair would feel less soft and more rough each successive day after I washed and conditioned, although not as much as it does now.

Does your conditioner or leave in contain humectants? If the air is really dry, humectants can make your hair feel very dry since they pull moisture from the most moist place...if your hair is more moist than the air, then the humectants are going to pull moisture from your hair drying the hair out.

This is a really good point and something to look out for!

Toadstool
September 21st, 2010, 11:27 PM
If you go to the coarse hair thread you will find this happens to lots of us, it may just be a textural thing.

Joliebaby
September 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM
I slightly wet my ends every day in the shower, and/or mist with a spray leave in (no cones) and THEN I apply a bit of oil, or lately I've been using Phyto9 or Phyto7 leave-in balm which is awesome. The oils seal in moisture. Used alone every day they might just make your hair crunchy.

christine1989
September 21st, 2010, 11:45 PM
It sounds like buildup to me. I had something similar happen despite frequent oiling and buildup of oil and product was the culprit. You could try clairifying more often but your hair might be a bit drier. Oiling while wet/damp could help though.