PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here cannot use natural haircare?

faeriedust
May 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
For a long time, I've been using conventional shampoos with SLS and other unnatural ingredients. Then when I learnt about natural haircare, I started experimenting with CO washes and shampoo bars. Both didnt work well for me. I started having zits on my scalp that wont go away. And recently I have developed dandruff. I've never had these problems using eg, Loreal shampoo.
I bought giovanni tea tree shampoo to treat my dandruff but it didnt help. Im really upset. I really wanted to go natural but I think my problems started when I used shampoo bars. I guess they couldnt clean my hair properly.
Now I dont know what shampoo to use. My main problem is my scalp. It still has zits and dandruff. Oh brown sugar scrub didnt help. Im at a loss.

sapphire-o
May 22nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Do you lather up three times when you used shampoo bars? That's what many people do, especially with CV bars because they're so mild. :) Of course if you wash everyday you might not need so many times.

Nevermore
May 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Have you tried every brand/every wash routine/every dilution? Your problem may not be that natural isn't for you, just that those brands/that routine/that schedule/whatever isn't for you.

Nat242
May 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
For me, I had to decide between using full strength natural shampoo and diluted SLS shampoo - due to financial issues (full time student) I had to switch from the all-natural shampoo back to SLS, which I'm not happy about but I have to make do with what I can afford.

Have you tried diluting your SLS shampoo? I find it works really well, you still get a good lather and it leaves your hair very clean but not stripped.

-- Natalie

akiss4lexie
May 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
I had a similar problem. CO doesn't work for me - I've tried it several times, with different schedules, conditioners, etc... and it just leaves my scalp too greasy. Haven't tried any type of shampoo bars, but I tried a couple SLS-free shampoos before finally settling on Burt's Bees. If you haven't tried that one, I recommend it.

Another thing you can do is adjust your schedule. When using SLS shampoo, I only had to wash about twice a week, because it really strips the oils off the hair. With the Burt's Bees stuff, I find myself washing more like 3 times a week. The ingredients are milder and won't damage the hair, so it's ok to wash more often (in my opinion).

Oh, and for dandruff - it's not a chronic problem for me, but my scalp does tend to get really flaky for a week or two when the seasons are changing. So I just keep some generic Head & Shoulders shampoo/conditioner-in-1 around for those times. It contains SLS, but it does a really good job of getting rid of the dandruff, and even though I CWC with it like normal, the conditioner component keeps my hair really soft. I only need to use it every few months, so I don't think I'm incurring much permanent damage.

Unnamed
May 23rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
I'd also suggest to keep trying different brands, if it seems like non-sulfate stuff just isn't cleaning well and you want to keep trying (say, if you still have the acne even after going back to the unnatural ingredients).

If you don't want to keep trying (or need something to try in the meantime), I'd also recommend diluting! If sulfates work, your scalp likes them, but you're worried about the harshness, this is a pretty good alternative.

I ended up settling on a Burt's Bees one, too (the Grapefruit one), as it actually works pretty decently in our hard water. Since switching to non-sulfate, I've gotten rid of the scalp acne, which for me was apparently some sort of allergy to sulfates/sulfonates.

I don't know much about shampoo bars other than that hard water can result in the unclean feeling with them (as can some non-sulfate shampoos in general)--and so I've not dared to try them.

Katze
May 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
Faeriedust, you are assuming that using shampoo at all is "natural", or that washing with conditioner is somehow more "earth friendly" or "has less chemicals" than a normal, drugstore CWC wash.

It isn't. They aren't. :D

CO washing alone puts a lot more gunk into your "grey" water that then gets washed out into your pipes, river, bay, sewage system, etc.

There is no standardized idea of "natural haircare." Some people wash no 'poo, some no sulfates, some no 'cones, some water only, some conditioner only, some sugar or Rhassoul or honey only. At the end of the day, none of these things are really "natural" - I don't think you can call any one hair washing method "natural" because then you have to find a definition for natural.

As someone who's tried all of these things, and who went back to washing with sulfate shampoos and using conditioners with silicone ('cone) oils, I realized that enjoying my hair and how it looks is important to me. CO left me with dull hair, as did WO, no 'poo was the same. One day I was visiting BF's parents and only had access to SLS-containing shampoo, had no conditioner - washed my hair and got GREAT results. Suddenly my hair had body and volume and was SHINY!

For my fine hair, a mix of CWC washing with 'cones, WO washing, and shampooing then SMT treatments, misting and oiling in between. I WANTED to be "natural", but my hair is happier with lots of moisture and regular thorough cleanings.

The point is to find what works for YOU and YOUR hair, and what makes you happy. Dandruff could be a sign that your scalp isn't clean enough or is TOO clean and is over producing to make up for the dryness. Probably the former, given what you're describing.

I'd recommend a vinegar rinse (diluted apple cider vinegar) followed by a shampoo (DILUTED) with sulfates (you can use a "natural" one), then conditioning from the ears down. Of course, your results may vary.

good luck!

Katze

Buddaphlyy
May 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Faeriedust, you are assuming that using shampoo at all is "natural", or that washing with conditioner is somehow more "earth friendly" or "has less chemicals" than a normal, drugstore CWC wash.

It isn't. They aren't. :D

CO washing alone puts a lot more gunk into your "grey" water that then gets washed out into your pipes, river, bay, sewage system, etc.

There is no standardized idea of "natural haircare." Some people wash no 'poo, some no sulfates, some no 'cones, some water only, some conditioner only, some sugar or Rhassoul or honey only. At the end of the day, none of these things are really "natural" - I don't think you can call any one hair washing method "natural" because then you have to find a definition for natural.

As someone who's tried all of these things, and who went back to washing with sulfate shampoos and using conditioners with silicone ('cone) oils, I realized that enjoying my hair and how it looks is important to me. CO left me with dull hair, as did WO, no 'poo was the same. One day I was visiting BF's parents and only had access to SLS-containing shampoo, had no conditioner - washed my hair and got GREAT results. Suddenly my hair had body and volume and was SHINY!

For my fine hair, a mix of CWC washing with 'cones, WO washing, and shampooing then SMT treatments, misting and oiling in between. I WANTED to be "natural", but my hair is happier with lots of moisture and regular thorough cleanings.

The point is to find what works for YOU and YOUR hair, and what makes you happy. Dandruff could be a sign that your scalp isn't clean enough or is TOO clean and is over producing to make up for the dryness. Probably the former, given what you're describing.

I'd recommend a vinegar rinse (diluted apple cider vinegar) followed by a shampoo (DILUTED) with sulfates (you can use a "natural" one), then conditioning from the ears down. Of course, your results may vary.

good luck!

Katze

I agree with this whole post, but especially the bolded.

As much as I like the idea of more "natural" hair care, the reality is that my hair likes Pantene and L'Oreal more than essential oils and shampoo bars. As long as I'm not going bald, I'm fine.

Blueglass
May 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Me too, as much as I like the idea of morrocco method shampoo, it just doesn't clean my hair.The conditioner doesn't work either.

Elle
May 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
I had the same problem with natural products (Jason). My scalp gets major build-up and this in turn will cause it to break out. I've noticed that, although SLS and SLES products are recommended here on the board because they're milder cleansers, ALS are actually ideal for me. My scalp needs thorough cleansing in order to be happy.

Kirin
May 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
I've tried a SLEW of stuff. I just blogged about this today as its so driving me to drink LOL

my favorite carrot oil went rancid (au naturelle so of course) and cant find more. SLS free shampoos cost an arm and a leg...... and for that cost have bleh results for me. Poo bars? not for me, gunky gummy or overdried hair (tried a lot of them.

I think the only thing i came away with that does SOMETHING is coconut oil, and even thats up for debate!

So right now, its ye ol' 99 cent V05 shampoo, not dilluted, not anything and V05 99 cent conditioner. Thats about it. I rotate with Creme of nature detanging shampoo and no conditioner.

My hair, currently is awful, but i'm trying to regain it after the "natural route" lol. Trying all of these things has done more damage to my hair than good.

spidermom
May 24th, 2008, 07:59 AM
If I were you, I'd go back to the last routine that worked. I also recommend diluting the shampoo most of the time, with full strength for clarifying. Keep conditioner off your scalp; it can clog pores.

OR Cowgirl
May 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
If I were you, I'd go back to the last routine that worked.

Just what I was going to say! Go back, heal your scalp, then you can try different 'poos. I find that my hair and scalp are happiest with Queen Helene Mint Julep Shampoo, citric acid rinses, and CureCare Conditioner. Minimal ingrediants and the shampoo is easily diluted! Seems to be very gentle but also effective. My water is really hard so even though I really wanted to go totally natural it just doesn't work for me.

And it's really all about what makes you and your hair happy! This journey to long hair should be fun and enjoyable!

Mariah