PDA

View Full Version : For the hairstylists here...

ellette
September 15th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I was wondering a few things about the stylists here.
I'm curious if you are currently working in a salon,
how long is your hair,
and how do you wear it everyday for work?
Also do you feel pressure to cut or feel like you don't "look" like a stylist, and if so, how do you deal with that?

I'm just asking because these are problems I personally had and feel like my own style is an impediment to going back to doing hair, even though I loved it.

I would really love to hear from any of you, thanks so much.

UltraBella
September 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I own two salons and I am also a licensed Electrologist, a Certified Permanent Cosmetic Technician and a makeup artist. I wear my hair up in a bun daily at work, my hair is currently at hip. Most clients in the salons know what my hair looks like and I get asked to take it down and show it to someone daily. I have never had anyone tell me I should cut it or that I do not look stylish. I think most clients are pretty impressed with my main of hair.
I have other long haired stylists in the salons, but not as long as mine. And I have stylists with very short, funky hair. In fact, my stylist with the shortest hair is my best stylist for working on long hair, which most people would not expect.
Why do you feel your long hair is an impediment to this career ? I think it can be an asset :)

aenflex
September 15th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Only thing a customer should care about is the stylists' ability to do whatever his/her specialty is, color, cuts, etc. Ultimately that is all that matters to me, but I've been practicing a long time with stylists. But the truth is that most people want to have a stylist that looks, well, stylish, and has her/his hair in good condition as well.
Even easy things like a clean, crisp pony tail, interesting braid, even a half-up, with maybe some cute earrings (when hair is up), those would be enough for me. Good luck getting back out there!! I personally don't think you should feel like you have to cut your hair off. There are plenty of 'hiding techniques' that mimic shorter styles too.

spidermom
September 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM
One of my stylists had classic-length hair. She used to do her bangs in funky colors, the rest was absolutely natural.