PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel?

AnimaSola3o4
May 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
If you asked a friend to help you get a tangle out and they chopped 8 inches off of your tailbone, hip, or classic length hair? (they didn't specify how long her hair was before the incident, and i dont remember how long it looked when i saw the story on TV.)

http://www.cbs42.com/news/local/19162619.html

Hannah asked a friend to help her get a knot out in the bathroom at school, and the other girl chopped 8 inches of her hair off against her wishes! And Hannah picked up the hair off the floor, brought it to the principals office and showed them.... who then said that it looked like she 'pulled off the ends herself' and there was no proof that the other girl did it. It was her word against the other girls. That's OUTRAGEOUS! The girl's mother is livid, and I would be too! They grow their hair long out of religious beliefs, and the girls' hair has never been cut before.

How would you all feel if this happened to you?

Solitude
May 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Probably hurt, but then again, what exactly did she tell the other girl NOT to do when getting out the tangle? To many people, getting out really bad tangles means chopping it off.

Her family may grow it for religious reasons but how publicized is this particular no no to others not of their religion. And don't assume that just because others know you are religious that they also know about the no cutting of hair, EVER.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I would think there had been a failure to communicate and kick myself in the hiney. The chance of somebody taking the scissors to my hair without my knowledge is pretty slim because I pay attention to detail.

Nevermore
May 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'd be livid. Like, beat the girl up livid. Yes, I'm pretty possessive of my hair. Then again, I wouldn't have asked anyone to help me in the first place unless they were my partner.

walkinglady
May 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I would furious! Whether her hair was long for religious reasons or otherwise! I personally feel by the time a child is in 5th grade they should no better than to cut someone elses hair, especially 8 inches!

Something seems to be missing from this story though. Why has this child been targeted twice? Is this a case of bullying? Why did they have a scissors to begin with? I didn't think you could carry sharp objects like scissors or pocket knifes around in school. There seem to be some unanswered questions.

Dianyla
May 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
I might feel like someone's fishing for cutting stories? :hmm:

AnimaSola3o4
May 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
I might feel like someone's fishing for cutting stories? :hmm:

Huh? No that thought had never entered my mind. I just saw the story on the news and thought that this was a good place to share it, seeing as how it deals with long hair and unwanted cutting. And personally being a long hair type person, I empathized greatly with the girl and the girl's mother in being upset that this happened and that the other girl had no consequences to her actions.

Why do you think I was fishing for cutting stories? That doesn't even make sense to me really. I remember a while back someone wrote a post about someone who was cutting women's hair off on the subway or train or something, and they shared it with the intention of simply sharing a story. What makes this different? They were not 'fishing for cutting stories' and neither am I.

ETA: I'm actually kinda hurt that by simply sharing a story I would be 'accused' (for lack of a better word) of something even remotely malicious....? :( I haven't been posting really anything lately because I can't get back into the groove of LHC since the hiatus.... I've suddenly got the impression that I should stick to that gut feeling. :tear:

suicides_eve
May 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
i agree with spider mom and Solitude , it was probbly just a miscomunincation- before TLHC i to was one that belived sissors was the answer to anything hair related- knotts cut'em off, gum in your hair break out the sissors, now that i am more aware of my hair i know better to do that.

AnimaSola3o4
May 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
I would think maybe it was a miscommunication too, if only a small section of hair was cut. But the other girl cut it straight across (as straight as she could i suppose), 8 inches from the ends. I guess because I actually saw the girl on TV and saw her hair and the mom showed what length her hair was before the incident, and I saw the length it was after.... maybe i have more of a visual to put with the story. So I should say that it didnt look like simple miscommunication.

Wind Dragon
May 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Why has this child been targeted twice? <snip> I didn't think you could carry sharp objects like scissors or pocket knifes around in school. There seem to be some unanswered questions.

The article states that this was the "second such incident to happen at the school" (emphasis mine,) not to the same child, and my 5th-grader has scissors that travel in his school notebook. But it does seem odd that her hair was cut all the way across before she noticed. :confused:

hurricane_gia
May 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
But it does seem odd that her hair was cut all the way across before she noticed. :confused:

If her hair had never ever been cut before, maybe she had fairy tale ends, and therefore "all the way across" was not that far to go. But if it was thicker hair than that, I share your confusion. Either the second girl had to make multiple "saws" with the scissors, or she was carrying around some pretty daggum big scissors! I might, if I tried, be able to get through a 2-inch diameter section of hair with my big giant, sharp, gingher sewing shears, but they are heavy and much too big to fit into a student's pencil case.

As for how I would feel . . . well, first off, all of my close friends know how important my hair is to me, and only someone close to me could get close to my hair without tackling me first. So as an adult, such a thing would not happen to me unless the person doing the cutting were violent. And then, I would have to get violent right back.

In the fifth grade, though, I wasn't all that confident and I might have let someone play with my long hair in an effort to win that person as a friend. In fact, in the fourth grade, there was a slumber party where I braided another girl's hair and when it was my turn, she used a whole bottle of mousse and gave me the stupidest, most embarrassing hairdo ever . . . and I ran to the shower crying and washed it out. Then I shunned her for weeks. But we made up. At least there were no scissors involved.

Wind Dragon
May 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
[...] maybe she had fairy tale ends, and therefore "all the way across" was not that far to go.

Probably so. I know there isn't that much (comparitively) to my own hair 8" up from terminal, but mine tapers pretty drastically. And I still think it would have been a challenge to get all of it in one snip. It just seems like an odd note in the story. :shrug:

Pegasus Marsters
May 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
It says it was cut all unevenly and if you grab at a handful of hair you can chop it all off in one snip (My ponytail is THICK and my hairdresser cut it straight off in one go... with my consent, please not!) but I doubt you could without VERY sharp scissors.

30isthenewblack
May 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think the school really needs to ask questions about why a child would be carrying scissors with them, what really transpired in the bathroom and whether the child had been bullied. As a mother, I would be upset and feel that my child had been violated. It is their religious belief to not cut their hair and as a society, we need to respect other people's beliefs who don't necessarily mirror our own. Children need to be taught this at an early age.

LisaButz2001
May 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
AnimaSola3o4, I totally agree with you, there is absolutely no reason why you should not post topics here for conversational purposes and I think it's totally unfair and unwarranted for the Mod to pounce on you that way. In my opinion, this article can inspire discussions between parents and their children about respecting their peers, respecting religion and alert girls to the need to exercise caution with their hair i.e. allow only trusted friends to assist you if necessary. The post in and of itself isn't automatically negative. As a teacher I like to be kept up to date on the new ways in which students are bullying/mistreating other students and this is a disturbing new trend. Another member posted about a child in TX that this happened to recently and it's happened twice in this school alone. Tsk, tsk. Also, we post about LOL cutting drives in schools and on T.V. How is your post different?

Dianyla
May 24th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Another member posted about a child in TX that this happened to recently and it's happened twice in this school alone. Tsk, tsk. Also, we post about LOL cutting drives in schools and on T.V. How is your post different?
Any and all threads that focus on forced haircuts can tread dangerously close to suggesting a cutting f*tish. Even if that is not what the OP intended, focusing on the overwrought emotional reaction of the victim of a forced haircut plays right into this fantasy. :uhh:

I know it's just a news story. But LHC is constantly under scrutiny from unsavory types who would take advantage of naivete in our community to gratify their personal desires. As such, we strive to limit this kind of discussion. :twocents:

florenonite
May 24th, 2008, 02:06 AM
A couple people have pointed out that they wonder why a student would have had scissors, but when I was that age scissors were a pretty standard pencil-case item. We all had them, and I have to say I'd be appalled (though not necessarily surprised) if the school banned scissors after this incident. The idea brings to mind a rule at a high school near where I grew up where students were not allowed to wear hoodies in the cafeteria queue because they were 'gang symbols' and they could conceal a weapon. One girl had only a tank top on underneath her hoodie, and she wasn't allowed to wear that, either, due to school dress code, and therefore had difficulty queuing up to get lunch because of her clothing. I'm deviating slightly, I just wanted to point out that I really don't think the girl having scissors with her is cause for investigation, otherwise that school might end up like the high school I mentioned.

Kuchen
May 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I might feel like someone's fishing for cutting stories? :hmm: Yes, it's not good to have lots of cutting stories, but it's also not good to publicly accuse a long-standing member of being a f*tishist. :twocents:

jonesthefarmer
May 24th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I read this story with interest .... I recently asked my partner to cut 2 inches from the ends of my waist length hair. Should have throught and explained better ... two inches where he began (at the side) ended up as 8 inches in the middle. I considered myself to be at fault - he's male and a perfectionist at that - everything has to be straight and lined up! No worries, it keeps growing!

My opinion only ... I realise that others may have been very hurt by such an act. Jonesy

LilyMunster
May 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I had never heard of a cutting f****h. :confused:
Dang, along with the feet f***h, makes me want to wear updo's and boots.

AnimaSola3o4
May 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Any and all threads that focus on forced haircuts can tread dangerously close to suggesting a cutting ******. Even if that is not what the OP intended, focusing on the overwrought emotional reaction of the victim of a forced haircut plays right into this fantasy. :uhh:

I know it's just a news story. But LHC is constantly under scrutiny from unsavory types who would take advantage of naivete in our community to gratify their personal desires. As such, we strive to limit this kind of discussion. :twocents:

See if you had posted this, instead of what you did... I wouldn't have felt so hurt by it. I understand why you posted what you did, but it felt condescending [and accusitory] to a certain extent.

basak
May 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
See if you had posted this, instead of what you did... I wouldn't have felt so hurt by it. I understand why you posted what you did, but it felt condescending [and accusitory] to a certain extent.

Actually, what I don't understand is why is this kind of warning/reminding of rules is happening publicly. It says

No other member of the community will know about it unless the member with the infraction chooses to tell them.
in the guidelines and increasingly, I see warnings being given openly in threads.:twocents:

Flaxen
May 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Actually, what I don't understand is why is this kind of warning/reminding of rules is happening publicly. It says

in the guidelines and increasingly, I see warnings being given openly in threads.:twocents:
No, you will not see the kinds of infractions/warnings that attach to a member's account ever made public.

As moderators, it is our job to make sure the boards run as smoothly as possible so that people can have the most positive experience it is possible to have here. That includes being a buffer between the community and individuals who come here to browse for s*xual gratification. There, I said it. It's not an onslaught, and there's no reason for panic, but yes, they are out there.

As for "warnings" in threads, sometimes it is necessary to step into a thread and give a reminder of the rules and guidelines, only for the purpose of refreshing everyone's minds. We do not want to embarrass anyone or hurt anyone, and if any member ever feels that we have done so, please send us a message right away to talk about it. And don't anyone say they'd be too shy to do that because I know how much we all talk. ;) :grouphug:

hurricane_gia
May 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
A couple people have pointed out that they wonder why a student would have had scissors, but when I was that age scissors were a pretty standard pencil-case item.

Well, once we got past the age of making artwork to celebrate each possible holiday (remember all those snowmen, snowflakes, turkeys, pumpkins, etc?), there was no need for us to have scissors. Pretty much fourth grade was the last time I used scissors in school. Art and Sewing classes (which I didn't take) had special school-provided scissors which never left the classroom.

When we did have scissors as part of our standard school supplies, they were specialty "children's crafts scissors" and they were rather blunt; they couldn't cut through more than two thicknesses of paper at a time.

Then, around 1992, everyone suddenly became very concerned with violence between children and teenagers, and scissors and pocketknives were officially banned. At least, this was the rule in the panhandle of Texas.

hurricane_gia
May 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I had never heard of a cutting f****h. :confused:
Dang, along with the feet f***h, makes me want to wear updo's and boots.

Hair cutting seems like an odd thing to fixate upon. I know that you can make just about anything into a f****h . . . but there are only so many times you can play that game before you literally use up your materials. Then what?

hurricane_gia
May 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
One of the things that this story brings up for me is the uneven application of basic civil rights in the US. So many things that would be considered assault if one adult did it to another, are just dismissed or ignored if children are the perpetrators. Everyone gets upset about gun violence in schools but we let kids and teenagers get away with sexual harassment, gay-bashing, hair-cutting, verbal assault and just about anything else as long as it doesn't leave bruises.

I wish I could be surprised that the girl's school is not supporting her right to attend classes in safety. But, unfortunately, I am not surprised at all.

Dianyla
May 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hair cutting seems like an odd thing to fixate upon. I know that you can make just about anything into a f****h . . . but there are only so many times you can play that game before you literally use up your materials. Then what?
My opinion is that, unlike a simple foot/shoe fixation, cutting really focuses on the theme of violation and degradation. I suppose when you've used up one person's materials... then you go looking for new victims. :puke:

AnimaSola - I did not mean to imply that you have this fixation. But rather, the way your post was written may attract people who do. :flowers:

AnimaSola3o4
May 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM
<snip>
AnimaSola - I did not mean to imply that you have this fixation. But rather, the way your post was written may attract people who do. :flowers:

Thank you Dianyla. It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

fatmoogas
May 25th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Yes, miscommunication I guess.

florenonite
May 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Well, once we got past the age of making artwork to celebrate each possible holiday (remember all those snowmen, snowflakes, turkeys, pumpkins, etc?), there was no need for us to have scissors. Pretty much fourth grade was the last time I used scissors in school. Art and Sewing classes (which I didn't take) had special school-provided scissors which never left the classroom.

When we did have scissors as part of our standard school supplies, they were specialty "children's crafts scissors" and they were rather blunt; they couldn't cut through more than two thicknesses of paper at a time.

Then, around 1992, everyone suddenly became very concerned with violence between children and teenagers, and scissors and pocketknives were officially banned. At least, this was the rule in the panhandle of Texas.

We had to take Art until the end of grade 8, and could have our own scissors if we so chose, and many of us did. I even knew some particularly organised people who carried them around in high school for those rare occasions when they might be needed, as a friend of mine carries her graphing calculator in her handbag. There was actually an incident where someone got expelled in grade 6 for, if I recall correctly, throwing scissors at a friend of mine and cutting her hand, but scissors weren't banned after this, only the perpetrator. Besides, in grade 5 we still used them at times in other classes, too. I suppose it's just the differences in where and when we were each at school that have led to the difference in policies.