PDA

View Full Version : Too afraid to trim

longforhim
September 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I finally made an hair appointment to get my hair trimmed on Thursday. It's been almost 7 months since the last trim. My hair needs it. I've noticed several white dots and the ends are dry and velcro like. I'm just scared to get it trimmed now. I don't want to lose length. I used to love going to the salon, but now I'm just nervous. I'd even thought about cancelling the appt. Any tips on how to talk to the stylist to get what I want( a 1 inch trim ). I also want to get it styled. Will getting it flatironed once leave me with damaged hair? TIA!

HintOfMint
September 14th, 2010, 11:36 PM
If your hair needs it, go ahead with the trim. I know it sucks to lose length but think about how nice your ends will be.
As to getting her to only take off a certain amount, measure with your fingers as to what one inch looks like and show her on your hair.
As to getting it styled, on freshly cut hair, as long as the damage has been snipped away, one bout with the flat iron won't kill you. But then again, I don't know how much damage the rest of your hair has sustained, if any.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Kathie
September 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM
What about a self trim? Your hair looks long enough to be able to do it :shrug:

Here's a link to Feye's self trim method used by many here at LHC... not me though :( my hair is too short. One day though :D

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

starlights
September 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Honestly if you dont want to go to the stylist dont!!! You can ask a trusted friend or somebody to trim the inch for you (its not that much!)
or if your confident snip the bad bits out!
-your hairs worth it :)

Dragon
September 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Bring a ruler and show them how much you want taken off and warn them to not take off any more then that. Or do it your self. I'd rather have a slightly uneven hemline then take the risk off it all being cut off. Or get some one you trust to do it.

Carolyn
September 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Show her exactly how much you want taken off and have her show you how much she is going to cut. Emphasize you are growing your hair longer. Be clear and specific. Don't sit there and day dream while she works on your hair. Be aware of what she is doing. If you don't want any layering tell her that before she begins trimming. If you get any bad vibes, get up and leave. Go ahead and have her style it with the flat iron if that's what you want. I have that done when I get a trim. I don't own a flat iron but I love my hair when it's been straightened with one.

Pixna
September 15th, 2010, 06:27 AM
What about a self trim? Your hair looks long enough to be able to do it :shrug:

Here's a link to Feye's self trim method used by many here at LHC... not me though :( my hair is too short. One day though :D

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

I second this suggestion! I've been self-trimming for years and have not only saved bundles in salon fees but have also been in control over how much of my hair is cut. The first self-trim is the hardest because, like anything, the first time is the scariest. After that, when you gain more confidence and know you won't screw up, it's a breeze. The important considerations are to (1) get a pair of professional hair-cutting shears (the initial expense will pay for itself with the first few trims you do), and (2) take off only about 1/4 inch the first time. When you succeed with the first trim, you can take another 1/4 inch off a few weeks later. And just repeat the process, keeping a few weeks in between, until you reach your goal. You might find that 1/4 inch is all you need, and you don't need a full inch off after all. It's always good to start in small increments like this in case you don't get it quite right with the first couple of tries or in case you find that you really don't need more than a very tiny trim after all.

Arianwen
September 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I say cancel the appt, do search and destroy missions for the white dots etc and if you've been using cones, try a clarifying shampoo? I keep reading horror stories about hair dressers chopping off length when all you wanted was a tiny trim. No thanks!

I haven't had my hair trimmed (not even by myself) for 16+ months!

aenflex
September 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I think if you feel you need a trim, go ahead and get one. Not all stylists are insane, incompetent people waiting around to butcher one's hair. Look the stylist in the eye, hold your fingers apart the desired length, and simply tell the stylist- Do not cut more than this, period, please and thank you.
That's always worked for me anyway :) GL!

spidermom
September 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I think you will be fine as long as you are clear about what you want, and pay attention. If she pulls your hair out at an angle, that means layers.

Jenn of Pence
September 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM
There's an article here on the site about getting the cut you want from a stylist; your post reminded me of it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=175
That being said, I understand how you feel! Losing length is tough, but having good ends to grow with can make a big difference. Also, many people find that just a 1/4 inch trim does wonders; as mentioned above, you could do this a few times over a few months if you feel you need more length off. I think you'll be able to get what you want at the stylist, or you can try the self-trim method, whatever you feel comfortable with. I am too chicken to use the self-trim method just yet. ;) Once it's a bit longer and I really need a trim, I will probably try it. Right now I'm doing pretty well with just periodic S&D.